Rap Forum: Ask Your Newbie Questions HERE!
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Rap Forum: Ask Your Newbie Questions HERE!

REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS USE THE SEARCH FEATURE FIRST TO LEARN NEW THINGS!

Alright - Here it is. The "Ask Your Newbie Questions Here" thread.

This is the place for you to ask some questions that you feel are a bit more on the easy side of things. We can all hopefully help out and get your some answers as quick as possible.

I am going to gather a list of threads for you guys to check out - so veteran members feel free to post some good threads you guys like, and I will update my list with your thread. I am going to try to compile a good list of budget to expensive interface/microphone/pre amp/etc threads, and get some good info out there with other subjects like compression, gain staging, room acoustics, and all the other things I can think of.

You guys can vote whether you wana push for this to be a sticky, or just a free floating thread, but either way - lets all try to help make sure all questions get answered.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

@@@@THE LIST OF BASIC THINGS YOU NEED TO RECORD AUDIO INTO A COMPUTER@@@@

- Microphone
- Pre Amp
- A/D D/A Converters
- Computer
- Cables
- An Interface (An interface is a combination of both a Pre Amp and Converters - no addition pre amp or converters are required with an interface)

The Basics
In order to record audio (Analog Signal) into a computer (Digital Domain) we need something to convert the signal. Those things are A/D Converters (Analog to Digital). They transform your recording from electric energy into 1's and 0's that the computer can read, and put it into whatever program you are recording with. In order to hear the signal come out of our monitors, we need something called D/A converters ( Digital to Analog) which... you guessed it... turn the Digital signal back into electrical energy (analog). Most interfaces will come with both A/D and D/A converters, so to keep it a little shorter some people might refer to it as A/D/A converters.

Your microphone is what captures the Analog signal and sends it down the cable to the pre amp. If your microphone is a condenser, you will more then likely need phantom power (+48v), so look up what your mic needs. The pre amps job is to boost the (still electric) signal coming from the microphone, and gives it a little more juice as it enters the interface, so it can be at a listenable level.

An interface is generally going to be the combination of pre amps and converters. Which interface you need depends on your needs and how many things you want to be able to record at once. If you want to record a rock band, you don't buy a two channel interface... ya know? If you record nothing but rap and refuse to ever record an instrument, then a two channel interface might be what's right for you (maybe even a 1, but that's very limiting to yourself).

Now we need cables. The standard cable connection for microphones is XLR. There are some 1/4" microphone connections out there, but that is pretty rare. 1/4" connectors are the general instrument connections you will see. 1/4" can either be TS or TRS (look up Balanced and Unbalanced cable connections for more information) so find out which one would be right for what job. Speaker cable connections very. I have a set with XLR and 1/4" inputs, but I also have a set with RCA inputs, so find out what your specific speaker will need with a quick google.

Keywords to Look Into when Starting Out:

- Acoustic Treatment (Room Treatment)
- Mic Placement
- Gain Staging <- Very important for you home recorders.
- Latency
- Clipping
- Compression
- Eq (Equalizer)
- Reverb
- Delay
- Distortion

Specialty Posting on Gearslutz

Uploading a Picture

1. Click the New Reply button at the bottom left of the thread window.
2. Click the paperclip icon that says attachment while you hover over it.
3. Select the file from your computer, and hit upload. When the file name disappears, it has uploaded.
4. Click the arrow that is next to the paperclip, and you can select the image to show up in your text box.
5. Now when you reply the image will be sitting in your text for everyone to see

**Note - you should make sure the file you upload is not twice the size of the computer screen. It makes things look messy**

Posting a Picture from Online

2. Navigate to the picture you wish to post and get the link for just the picture. Go back to GS.
3. Click the small yellow box icon (mouton and sun in corner) and paste the web address. Press OK.
4. You should now see that web address wrapped in code and in your text box.
5. A picture will now appear when you reply.

Posting a Soundcloud Audio Bar

2. Get the direct link from your audio player, then navigate back to GS.
3. Click the small orange square with a cloud in the center, then paste the link between the bracket boxes.
4. When you submit your post, the player will appear.

Post a Youtube Video

2. Get the web address from the youtube video, but you will only be using the end of it.
Example - Only use the text in bold http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UiOF9mYGw
3. Back on GS press the red and white box that says youtube, and paste the link section there.
4. You should now see a video player and video when you submit your reply.

Important Links

The OFFICIAL "Please Check Out My Mix/ Music" Thread

Do NOT start a thread in this forum to promote yourself!!!

The Rules!!!! Everyone Read Before Posting!

JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Table of Content

Post #1

Intro
The Basics of Audio Recording
Specialized Posts on GS

Post #2

Table of Content

Post #3 A-H
Acoustics Threads
Acoustic Treatment Suppliers
Analog Gear

Bussing Threads

Compression Threads

DAW Discussions
Distortion
DIY Guides

Equalizers (EQ)

FREE
Fun Threads

Headphone Threads
Headphone Amp Threads

Post #4 I-Q
Interface Threads

Metering Threads
Microphone Threads
MIXTAPE INFORMATION THREADS
Mixing Tips
Monitor Threads
MPC Threads

Panning
Pensados Place
Pluggin Discussions

Quantizing

Post #5 R-Z
Random Info Threads
Reverb Threads

Sampling Threads
Sound Bank Information

Track Count

Websites for Audio

JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

A-H

A:
Acoustics Threads (Room Treatment, Vocal Booths and More!)

Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide - LOOK HERE! <- HUGE amount of info

Before posting your measurement results <- READ THIS to learn how read the graphs to test your rooms frequency response

DYI Panel Weekend

A cheap vocal booth

Portable Acustic Treatment

Acoustic Treatment Suppliers (from Gearslutz)

Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. GIK Acoustics. <- The link to GIK Acoustics website. Glenn Kuras roams around the acoustics thread if you want to chat with him.

RealTraps - Home <- The link to Real Traps website. Ethan Winer roams around the acoustics thread if you want to chat with him.

Analog Gear (Who needs a computer?)

thinking of ditching the computer

B:
Bussing Threads

Who here likes to take the bus route?

C:
Compression Threads

Mixing Rap Vocals – Part 3: Compression <- Article by Matt Weiss (not a thread)

Rap Vocals: Compression - ^ Thread to go with the above article

Understanding Compression

The Many Uses of Compression

Recording Vox with compression + better Mix/Master?

D:

DAW Discussions
Help a noob! Which is the best DAW for an artist looking to create their own music?

30 Days of Ableton

DAWs have an intrinsic sound, why?

What is Best DAW for midi?

JUST GOT ABLETON!...And It's f***** stupid. <- I hope you like that one KT1 (In all seriousness don't be mislead by the title people - Ableton is awesome)

DAW Summing Comparison - A new testing angle

Which DAW should I pick up?

FL Studio vs Ableton

Whole lotta Myth of DAW Learning Curves

Does the sound quality depends of the DAW ?

Distortion

Understanding Distortion.

DIY Guides

DIY Monitor Stands (PVC Pipe) <- I recommend everyone make these if you don't have a set of good stands

DIY Studio Desk/Keyboard Workstation under $100

E:
Equalizers (EQ)

Additive EQ

Subtractive EQ

eq for separation: share your tricks.

EQ?

EQ Before Compression OR After?

F:
FREE
Sounds

My Gift Back To You.

One hitta

One Hitta Part 2

Pluggins

Fun Threads

Time to get Studying

Humathesizer vs Akai MPK61

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ke-follow.html

Whats in your mic locker? 2012

The Official Show Us Your Studio: 2012

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...rap-genre.html

G:

H:
Headphone Threads

Cheap studio headphones

Headphones for accurate production <$300

Best mixing headphones!

The usual ... best headphones for mixing under $500?

The Best Isolation Headphones

best detailed headphones (cans) for editing/mastering

Best mixing headphones????

Headphone Amp Threads

Good Headphone Amplifiers under $300

JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

I-Q

I:
Interface Threads

Choosing an interface under 1k w/ great built-in pres for pro quality

Budget Interfaces -> Good audio interfaces

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...der-500-a.html

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?

Good Audio Interface for Under $150?

J:

K:

L:

M:
Metering Threads

Pre/Post Fader Metering.

Microphone Threads

Small Diaphrams get no love.

MIXTAPE INFORMATION THREADS

Mixing Vocals and Instrumental Great Tip! <- Read the WHOLE thread, not just the OP

Mixing Tips

"Down On Me" Jeremih and 50 Cent - Mix Session Video

Ken Lewis Mixing Tips

Order of Importance for Separation

Learning Waves.

Monitor Threads

Best monitors under $1000 for electronic music?

Nearfield monitors what to get??

Focal CMS 65 - unbelievable speakers

MPC Threads

Making a beat on the MPC Renaissance...

Akai mpc studio

Mpc fly

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w..._5-e8KBLIBS_Hg

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...kJC2tMBEQ5dyGQ

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...TusER6aPhtmZ3Q

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...BOjezY94BTxndQ

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...1M8Z6NeUkvuQnA

Which MPC is the best? old School Or New Generation?

I got an MPC, but need...

N:

O:

P:
Panning

LCR Mixing

Pensados Place

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=KogBjN...racker=show_av <- Youtube channel

Pluggin Discussions

Favorite Software Compressor

Q:
Quantizing

Quantizing.

Hip-hop drums quantize settings?

JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

R-Z

R:
Random Info Threads

Preamp vs Audio Interface?

The Importance of Musicality

Who Records Rap in Stereo?

Mixing with headphones, pros and cons.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...rum-sound.html

Smoothing over a clipped audio recording.

Zip Rescue

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...nitor-hum.html

Beat Recreation w/ Lyrics (off tempo)

Plugging Ported Speakers

Deep Vocal FX

MIDI Kick Drum Pedal

Can't See Waveforms Logic P9

Whats in the Headphones? Recording Rap/R&B

Why are presets so looked down upon?

Only recording, not Mixing. Do I need Monitors? And which headphones?

Studio Monitors vs "Studio Monitor" Headphones

Pops and Clicks in MIDI?

Mixing Drums - Getting your kick punchy, snare cracking, and overall drum sound

It's worth an hour of your life.

Methods for Combating Plosives.

Who uses Reason w/ ReWire?

Pluggins - What's what?

Reverb Threads

Reverb: Tips and Techniques

S:
Sampling Threads

Did I miss the boat on Vinyl?

Best Sampler in logic for loading individual drum samples??

Managing the ESX 24

Who uses Reason w/ ReWire?

Rules for Sampling.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...s-samples.html

Sound Bank Information

Best Orchestra Libraries

T:
Track Count

might be my highest track count yet

How many tracks are you using per beat?

U:

V:

W:
Websites for Audio

47 sites every recording musician should visit

35 audio tutorial sites that will keep you learning

X:

Y:

Z:

4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Do we post threads or ask Newb questions?
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Both - The aim is to help keep the rap forum cleaner, so the people who don't ask newbie questions, post threads for me to update the above posts, to help give a lot of information to everyone else. The ones who might not know the good threads, or are confused on subjects, can either click a thread I/we have provided, or they can ask a question.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Okay something I'm going to ask
about is phase: specifically with kicks. So when your out of phase this generally means you've layered kicks but instead of getting the best of
both worlds, they cancel each other out, and sound weaker. Now, how do you fix this? Do you edit start and end points? Choose a new sample? I don't want to fix them within the mixing stage (which if they are out of phase you probaly can't correct with EQ or compression I'm guessing?) So what is the first thing to
do to get them
to
work?
MediaMix
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
MediaMix

Don't forget the daily, mixing vocals over an instrumental thread that pops up and gets answered over and over. If I remember there was a newbie rap forum as a sticky right above but no one ever looked up there b4 posting. With the exception of new products, just about everything has been asked and answered already and can be found with a search. newbie or pro.
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Bare with me - this is a very in depth topic, but i'll do my best.

IN Phase

OUT of Phase

All audio recordings are based off a concept of a 0 volt line, with a compression (top half of the waveform) and rarefaction (bottom half of the waveform) (peak and valley). This is the same way that a speaker works - when the line goes up the speaker pushes out, when it goes below the 0 line it moves in.

When something is IN phase, it means that the compressions and rarefactions are lined up perfectly. When this happens, there is a 6 dB increase in the audio signal, because the two waveforms are reinforcing each other. Every time an exact signal doubles, it increases by 6 dB.

When something is OUT of phase, it means that the waveforms are interacting with each other in a strange way. In some areas it is reinforcing, in some areas it is canceling, but because they are never exact with each other, they never fully in force, or fully cancel each other out - causing a weird sound interaction between the two.

There is more to this - so i encourage you to read up some more - and to anyone smarter then me, please let me know if i said anything wrong. I don't want to teach anyone something that is incorrect.

Specifically for your kick question -

My way for fixing phase issues with kick drums has been to shift them around till they sound good. Even with a little bit of phase issue - if it sounds good it sounds good. Just nudge a layer around left and right until you find a sound that you like. Very small movements though. To the point where they still sound like they are hitting at the same time, but are different by a few milliseconds.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

I will play...as I would eager answer the questions in a dedicated format. I'm curios whether this idea will work.

Mitch,

Those sounds must be extremely similar. This begs the question why layer them? I would choose a new sound. When I layer I am trying to emphasize a particular tone. The layered sound will be heavy in the tone I want to emphasize.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve sonically, but I never layer sounds similar enougg to cause phase issues
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
I'm gonna date your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Both - The aim is to help keep the rap forum cleaner, so the people who don't ask newbie questions, post threads for me to update the above posts, to help give a lot of information to everyone else. The ones who might not know the good threads, or are confused on subjects, can either click a thread I/we have provided, or they can ask a question.
Generally a good idea.

BUT this is just going to become a microcosm of what's going on in the forum in general. You should stress the importance of SEARCH BEFORE ASK!

Otherwise this is going to become a big completely chaotic thread with hundreds of different questions. Of course it's much more likely that it's being ignored completely and people keep on starting the same threads in the main forum as they please. But one shouldn't lose hope.

I mean, it's already starting: Mitch (who has at least good taste in music, I'll give him that) could have just searched for "kick phase" or something like that and he surely would have found info about what he's asking. He might have even discovered a thread so informative that he'd then link it here for you to add to your list. But I'm daydreaming again...
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Sometimes I have a deep kick that is fairly subby, but not really deep enough. I layer it with a purely subby kick, and they sound weak. I always just choose new sounds, but sometimes I want a primarily deep sounding kick, so I want both those layers without phasing.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Well I have googled And searched. But usually the answers are candy coated, and I am sometimes left wondering if I'm missing something. I try and always search first.
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

I have it in bold and capitols above all the threads posted above.

I do agree - but either way, if we got 10 newbie threads a day, and this makes it 5 newbie threads a day, I'm a happy camper. The reason i posted all the thread and web site links is to get the people who don't like to search, into the habit of reviving old threads - or at least reading them and coming to talk about them here.

We shall see how this turns out - I have a good feeling about it.

EDIT: Look up - it's now been stressed.
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

I hope you guys start posting some good threads - I've already been doing this longer then I planned. The collection is starting to look good though.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

How about we keep this a safe have for simple questions, and not thwack them around with search mantras etc. If they are posting here, they already get a thumbs up from me, just for using this thread.
We can bash the ones who let their pride/ego cause them to think they are beyond this thread when they post out in the forum.

Mitch,
There are a number of ways to address this. Don't have time now to explain. If no one steps up before I finish working today, I will take a stab at it.

Last edited by jrides; 4th April 2012 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: PHONE AUTOCORRECT TYPO. PISSING? LOL!!!! WTF?
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

But if we give them the thread links, they can have already prepared answers - and lot's more of them. Often from people with a lot of experience (if we post the good threads) rather then anyone just taking a shot at it.

Not to mention it will answer about a million questions before they have to get asked.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
These type of threads don't work cause "noobs" get yelled at. I'm not even a noob just asked a simple question about phase, and I'm already getting bashed...
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGeist View Post
These type of threads don't work cause "noobs" get yelled at. I'm not even a noob just asked a simple question about phase, and I'm already getting bashed...
Don't even sweat it. Phase is pretty complex subject - I was lucky enough to learn this stuff in a class room. Made understanding the basics a whole lot easier. I'm still wrapping my head around the more complicated parts of phase issues.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

I didn't see Storyville's compression thread. that's a good one
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind View Post
I didn't see Storyville's compression thread. that's a good one
The first three links under compression are from Story himself or from someone starting them about his article. The first one is his article with theproaudiofiles, second one is the thread someone started about the article, and third one is a thread he started himself. (Matt = Story)
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Ok, so I'm recording on a Laptop with acid pro 7. I have an M-audio interface and some mic that I don't know the name of. When I hit record the mic is super loud, even when I turn the mic input down all the way. You could whisper and the recording will be clipping. The interface and mic work on my desktop just fine, but I don't wanna have to drag my desktop out to my garage when I want to record. Help?
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News View Post
Ok, so I'm recording on a Laptop with acid pro 7. I have an M-audio interface and some mic that I don't know the name of. When I hit record the mic is super loud, even when I turn the mic input down all the way. You could whisper and the recording will be clipping. The interface and mic work on my desktop just fine, but I don't wanna have to drag my desktop out to my garage when I want to record. Help?
Are you using an external pre amp? and what M-Audio interface is it?
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
2 up Quarks 1 down Quark

4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Are you using an external pre amp? and what M-Audio interface is it?
It's a fasttrak, yea I believe it's external
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post
Here's a great one. Storyville's tips on setting up reverb

Reverb: Tips and Techniques
Updated.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

This is a great idea Jorillo. This should be stickied like Q&A with rjd2 thread. And with the "Search this thread" function, when this thread gets to be 100 pages, ppl can just search their question easily in the search thread box.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
2 up Quarks 1 down Quark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_ View Post
This is a great idea Jorillo. This should be stickied like Q&A with rjd2 thread. And with the "Search this thread" function, when this thread gets to be 100 pages, ppl can just search their question easily in the search thread box.
I like the fact that he went ahead and spread the threads out among the first 5 or so posts. That way the help topics stay at the top.

Great job Jorillo!! The Hip Hop forum rules!!
JoRillo
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News View Post
It's a fasttrak, yea I believe it's external
Didn't notice your reply earlier, my bad. On your Fast track there are three knobs on the top - I believe they are Mic Gain, Instrument Gain, and Output.

Your Mic Gain controls the level the pre amp is set at - you want to make sure your not clipping, by adjusting this knob while rapping into the mic.

The instrument control knob is the same thing, except for instruments.

And your output controls how long things will play out of your speakers.

If your using an external pre amp, there will be another piece of gear (a pre amp) between your microphone and interface (the fast track). If this is the case, you need to bypass the pre on the M-Audio interface and mess with the Input gain on that unit instead.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search