FL Studio best sounding DAW?
New Reply
Subscribe
dmarz45
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

FL Studio best sounding DAW?

Just want to start out saying that I've been making music for over 12 years now. Ok so I've made beats using all the major DAWs as well as pretty much every MPC (besides the 60 and 2000xl) as well as the ASR-10. And I've come to the conclusion that hardware just sounds way better then all of the software programs (with the exception of the MPC 1000 & 2500, both sound very thin). I can really tell the difference between a beat made using hardware as opposed to software. The drums just hit harder when using hardware. However, I love the ease of using software. Theres something about seeing all the notes on the screen and being able to freely move them around that really intrigues me. I currently use Reaper to make beats and I've always messed around with FL Studio. I find that I can really get the drums smacking HARD in FL Studio like I can in my MPC. When I make beats in Reaper or Nuendo\Cubase (using Battery), the drums just dont hit as hard as they do in FL Studio. Do you guys agree with this? Just wanted to get some other people's opinions because Im seriously considering switching to making all my beats in FL studio. Even though FL usually gets a bad rap with other producers, I really think it does sound much better than any other DAW. Just wanted to get your guys' opinion? What do you think?
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear nut

FL Studio's default session has a maximizer plugin on the master fader - probably accounts for the "smacking hard" effect. Other than that...well, I'll let someone else break down the eternal DAW comparison convo.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. June View Post
FL Studio's default session has a maximizer plugin on the master fader - probably accounts for the "smacking hard" effect. Other than that...well, I'll let someone else break down the eternal DAW comparison convo.
dont use the maximizer... I set it so the default session has no plugins whatsoever.....
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Johntron512
Do this test: find a kick, snare, and hh sample, make a few bars in FL, then make the same loop using the same samples in a different DAW.

Export the results as a WAV file using the same settings and volumes for everything, no plugins, panning or EQ.

Then do a blind test. If you can tell the difference, upload the samples here so we can try and figure out why.

They will probably sound the same.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

They all sound the same..
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Lol at the drums smacking hard. That's a hardware myth.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Lol at the drums smacking hard. That's a hardware myth.
No myth. Hardware sounds better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear nut

FL Studio has a limiter set on the master bus by default which is why everything sounds bigger to begin with. Don't quote me on it but I think they introduced the FL Limiter in FL Studio 8.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to awhitebeats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
No myth. Hardware sounds better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
+1
I agree
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Fl studio is one of the best sounding daws,I hate it personally and refuse to use it,after I paid all that frickin money for logic,cubase and protools!

Not to mention komplete 8 ultimate plus more LOL.

But I've seen guys that have no music theory knowledge or skills to even launch a project in any of the major daws,create some masterpieces.

So on that note,it does sound great because people really make great tunes with it!

And another thing, I know more people that illegallydownloaded fLS, than licenced daw owners.

500,000 illegal download vs 500 purchased daws,sorry fellas but its true...

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
dmarz45
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
Fl studio is one of the best sounding daws,I hate it personally and refuse to use it,after I paid all that frickin money for logic,cubase and protools!

Not to mention komplete 8 ultimate plus more LOL.

But I've seen guys that have no music theory knowledge or skills to even launch a project in any of the major daws,create some masterpieces.

So on that note,it does sound great because people really make great tunes with it!

And another thing, I know more people that illegallydownloaded fLS, than licenced daw owners.

500,000 illegal download vs 500 purchased daws,sorry fellas but its true...

Sometimes I wonder if FL Studio makes any money at all lol.. It has to be one of the most pirated pieces of software out there...
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarz45 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if FL Studio makes any money at all lol.. It has to be one of the most pirated pieces of software out there...
Lol,I'm glad you know the truth,thought I would get my arse chewed out for that post haha...

29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear maniac

re

to me the FL sound (and it may be their synths/plugs and dev platform) isnt all that good compared to others. However it has sweet timing. I recently had a client tell me he couldnt get things to "hit right" in FL. I told him to work on his mixing and the program didnt really matter...the dif between programs sound is minor at best compared to the sound of hardware to software.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Johntron512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarz45 View Post
I bought it in 2001 and have been getting free lifetime updates since. Recently, out of sheer love for the product and curiosity about their plugins, I bought into the full suite.

Yeah, a lot of the added plugins are so so, especially if all you do is hip hop, but some of them are VERY good (Ogun, Vocodex, Sakura, Soundgoodizer, etc). I also love the interface for their newer parametric EQ.

So in my case, their model works just fine, and I used to Warez it up with the best of 'em.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to kojo
If there was any real basis to sound superiority in a DAW wouldnt the developers themselves heavily advertise this? Maybe I missed it? You can have better quality plugins/samples that come with the DAWs but if you're running the same 3rd party plugs in FL that you are in ableton, cubase, etc it shouldnt sound noticeably better or worst. If it does that would appear to be user error or a setting that needs to be adjusted in the "inferior" DAW. Now DAW + Interface combos may be a different story especially when recording stuff like guitars and vocals...
DAH
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
DAH
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to DAH Send a message via Skype™ to DAH
FL is just SIMPLE in terms of GUI and TIGHT in terms of triggering the internal sounds, as a DAW must be.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

Seriously LMAO......... are you kidding me... 90% of FL users result to using Fruity Loops because A. They can't afford anything else... B. its the most pirated software in the industry.... people normally shit on the things that they can't afford... LMAO.. this guy pretty much says that Fruity Loops sounds better than a Protools HD System... WOW
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear addict

1. "sounds better" is very subjective
2. sound quality depending on the algorithm of the DAW. Some DAWs (count in FL here) can be set to different quality for playing realtime and rendering (export audio)

peace
Hobbs_Won
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyo View Post
90% of FL users result to using Fruity Loops because A. They can't afford anything else...
Is this fact or is this just you flinging poo against the wall?
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
Is this fact or is this just you flinging poo against the wall?
Fact bro...but thats beside the point.... This guy pretty much says that fruity loops on a $200 laptop,sounds better than a protools hd rig...smh

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Gearslutz App
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear addict

I know of a producer who has done songs for Neo,Beyonce,Kanye West and Jadakiss. I thought he was using Protools his quality sounds excellent. He was ask to mix a project on Logic and he admitted that he did not know it because he only used Fl Studio. Amazing man

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Gearslutz App
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am not going to say that all DAW's sound the same. However, at the end of the day, I think a DAW would have to absolutely suck to make a big enough difference to choose one over the other. This is coming from someone who said Reason sounds better than the ASR 10, well before DJ Khalil made that statement. I don't want to say that anything sounds better than anything else with no effects though, even though I kept my effects dry on my hardware most of the time, I don't recall how long ago that I made a beat that had no mixing to compare.

At the end of the day, use what you like best. The subtle differences in sound quality won't matter much if you are making a better end product. At this point, I feel it's been shown that just about anything can sound great when mixed right.
KT1
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Same soft synth and midi program in all daws. Bounce audio and blind test. I bet you ny whole studio you couldn't tell then apart. Workflow and native plugs should dictate choice not the so called sound.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz App
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

All modern (native floating point arithmetic) DAWs have exactly the same sound for render/bounce/mix. The real time audio engines may sound different. Cubase 3 wasn't good on this point.
The differences between DAWs are about stock plug-ins, stock sounds, and last but not least, their workflow.
Technical Stuff
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

FL studio is very powerful in the creative department. The work flow is pretty seamless which i think is important when creating. I use PT to mix though.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

hardware sounds better.

you can do tests, convince yourself with bit theories, read measurements, you're only wasting your time.

hardware kicks, software almost kicks.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Banned

hardware sounds better TO ME...but thats opinion. It's all taste of what you are into and trying to acheive....but on DAW's digital is digital...how the hell does digital sound different from other digital? analog sounds different on the sources because of A/D and D/A gain staging. Now digital will sound different if you are monitoring on different D/A but thats just what your hearing depending on your monitoring system.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear Head

DAWs all sound the same at this point. FL Studio is awesome. Great support, bank for the buck, great synths, workflow is easy, free lifetime upgrades. The list goes on.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpeezy View Post
hardware sounds better TO ME...but thats opinion. It's all taste of what you are into and trying to acheive....but on DAW's digital is digital...how the hell does digital sound different from other digital? analog sounds different on the sources because of A/D and D/A gain staging. Now digital will sound different if you are monitoring on different D/A but thats just what your hearing depending on your monitoring system.
Digital can sound different. Algorithms that the plugging/DAW engines work off of. Not saying I agree either way... just saying it's possible.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets@milwpc.co View Post
DAWs all sound the same at this point. FL Studio is awesome. Great support, bank for the buck, great synths, workflow is easy, free lifetime upgrades. The list goes on.
if you like robotic timing
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search