Klanghelm DC8C
David Ray
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Klanghelm DC8C

Alright guys, the cat is out of the bag. Let's get this thread going:

First things first: I want to hear ANYone say something negative about this plug... Go ahead and look. It's a love fest. The worst thing I've heard is that the saturation stage is mediocre when driven at extreme levels. Let's hear from some haters!

Next: Anyone feel like they have their heads around the "expert" mode 100%? I haven't felt overwhelmed by the flexibility of a plug in years... I'm getting results from my usual applications, but I feel like there is much more to explore that I have yet to wrap my head around. I had similar feelings about the API-2500 and the PSP VW2... This seems FAR more involved though.

So let's do it slutz: whatcha think & HOW are you using it?
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

I just bought it so I haven't played around with it much. I like what it does personally and I'm using it on a track right now for a lil bit of density on some guitars and on the mix buss.
Still thinking about buying the ubk-1 as well.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear is over-rated

is it more of a stereo bus compressor?
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

I know its dead cheap. But what I don't understand is that if this is a transparent compressor without any colour or anything. Why I should I get it instead of using the compressor that comes with my daw. I also already have a saturation plug in too.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I know its dead cheap. But what I don't understand is that if this is a transparent compressor without any colour or anything. Why I should I get it instead of using the compressor that comes with my daw. I also already have a saturation plug in too.
I just bought this as well and haven't got into it yet BUT, It's my understanding that you can go from transparent to dirty with this comp. I have been really digging the meter plug with the trim, a lot. Will get into this compressor and compare it to other tonite for sure.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

I got it too! Didnt use it much but this far its amazing!
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

This comp is amazing...

In the expert mode, fiddling with the "clean" and "s-shape" attack buttons, + the treshold shape and "detector" (peak /RMS mode) you add dimension and punch to the tracks and mix. I´m talking about the clean mode - no saturation. This is where it really shines.Thumbs up!

Ciro
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear
I am unable to use this plugin in Maschine for Lion...anybody know why? It doesn't even showup in the list of plugins.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear
Bump
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

^ email Klanghelm support - Tony is a very helpful chap
David Ray
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone ready to get into specifics?

My biggest point of confusion: "pre-attack". WTF?!?

I've read the manual... I haven't had a lot of play time, but me and two of my engineer buddies were playing with it and couldn't really figure out what application it would have... Unless its there to be used in tandem with the "s" shaped attack...

Any DC8C gurus ready to shed some light?
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

^ It delays the attack stage. Mind doesn't have to wander for very long to work out and/or hear how that's useful does it?
David Ray
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ It delays the attack stage. Mind doesn't have to wander for very long to work out and/or hear how that's useful does it?
No, Tim Lloyd.

Not what it does, but what application it has. I Read the Manual. As did me AND my two friends who both work with me at my company which installs audio/video (client list upon request if you really want to go there).Thanks.

So can you(or preferably someone else) tell me WHEN this is useful... As in WHY you would delay the attack using THIS parameter and not just the regular "attack" parameter which also delays the attack. Why have two knobs for this? What's the difference between these two?
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Pre attck? wow.. may have to frab this sooner... sounds like it could rock on drums.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
No, Tim Lloyd.

Not what it does, but what application it has. I Read the Manual. As did me AND my two friends who both work with me at my company which installs audio/video (client list upon request if you really want to go there).Thanks.

So can you(or preferably someone else) tell me WHEN this is useful... As in WHY you would delay the attack using THIS parameter and not just the regular "attack" parameter which also delays the attack. Why have two knobs for this? What's the difference between these two?

Hey David. When just using the attack, transients will always be shaped, no matter how long the attack time is. the attack time determines, how long the compressor takes to reach the computed gain reduction. So even at a attack time of 600 ms the comp already starts to reduce the gain at 0.0 ms. with pre-attack you can avoid this. this way you can keep transients 100% intact for ultimate tranparency. to soften the trasition from pre-attack to attack stage you might want so use the S-Curve on the attack. You can also use the pre attack for creating stutter fx with DC8C (when using short attack times)

Another example:
in the SNAP mode DC8C uses a combination of attack and pre-attack to shape the attack curve. Punch mode doesn't use pre attack at all. just compare the attack "sound" of these two modes. maybe this makes things clearer

Tony
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Because it sounds 'right' in the way good hardware does and can pull ridiculously extreme shapes without murdering your signal, none of which are tricks your DAW comp can pull.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Because it sounds 'right' in the way good hardware does and can pull ridiculously extreme shapes without murdering your signal, none of which are tricks your DAW comp can pull.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Word!!! Perfectly said
David Ray
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks, Tony!
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
No, Tim Lloyd.

Not what it does, but what application it has.
Sorry - assumed that it would be fairly obvious if one knew what it does. My bad
David Ray
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Sorry - assumed that it would be fairly obvious if one knew what it does. My bad
I probably responded in a more grumpy manner than I should have- it was in the midst of a long day!

Like I mentioned: I'm not used to feeling lost when pulling up a compressor. And without the playtime I've had in the past I was hoping to generate a bit of discussion so I could hit the ground running next time I had the opportunity.

I hope I'm not giving of the wrong impression: it's not like this plug is hard to get good results with: quite the opposite! Especially easy mode, which is very program dependent and has quite a wide sweet spot.

It's just in expert mode there are a few more options than many comps have and my mind races at the applications the can be used for... I want to see what other folks are doing above and beyond "make my drums hit" or "bring my vocals forward."

Tony mentioned stutter effects... With a compressor? Now that's what I'm getting at!
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Here are a few more tips, you might want to try:

1. for stuttering drums set attack and release to minimum and just use the HOLD knob to control the timing of the stuttering. The effect becomes more apparent when using negative ratios, since the signal gets kind of clamped down with negative ratios when exceeding the threshold level.

2. set attack and release to minimum (and leave them alone from now on!), set RMS to around 1.4 ms and set GR smoothing between 50 & 60%. now just use the RMS control to dial in the desired timing of the compressor. this should give a nice, punchy sound.

3. for ultimate attack accentuating turn the program dependency of the attack to negative values. If you do so, the attack time gets longer the louder the transients hit the compressor

4. for backwards FX set attack to minimum and use an extreme negative ratio (-1). now just use release to taste.

Tony
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

Solid comp... I just need to play with it more but 4 now its part of the fam... The only thing I dont like is the saturation... Besides that its cool.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Head

DC1A

.. it is surprised me that nobody mention just the small brother of this, it is for free and it is just amazing. just turning up 1 knob and listen when it fits, this is real ONE knob serie
Congrats, it just telling me to look more around for "unknown" companies despite the big brands..
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolycra View Post
.. it is surprised me that nobody mention just the small brother of this, it is for free and it is just amazing. just turning up 1 knob and listen when it fits, this is real ONE knob serie
Congrats, it just telling me to look more around for "unknown" companies despite the big brands..
Yep. We live in a good times. With plugins that is.
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear addict

So how do you feel about this plugin now that it has been out a while?
Mar
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Mar
Gear nut

This is my preferred comp, now I use only this and cl1b.
Amazing!!!
Tonhelm, will you continue the developement of this beautiful plugin?
David Ray
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

Nice, glad you brought up the Tokyo Dawn, David.

I just started using it on the 2-bus this week. So far it's sounding like a winner, but I still have a bit of tweaking to do.

Peeps should check this.
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

I used it on tracks, recently demo'd SSL Duende Bus Compressor and found that DC8C comes close with 'Mastering' preset (mix 80%) on the 2bus.
Very close concerning the price difference (to me).

And also found that it can shine on drumbus.
Getting to know the Expert mode is very rewarding.
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Motown legend

When I compare using different program material, a different compressor plug-in always sound best. I'm not convinced there is any "best" plug-in.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search