New Reply
Subscribe
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Mix prices?

Good day!

So, I'll try to make this short and simple....

1. Got a mix gig and they loved the mix, I only charged $50 for it and we didn't sign many papers =( ((i know..))
2. Have had many professionals tell me that my mix is worth $150 at least
3. Have the idea that giving up the session file for mixing a song should be a $250 fee or something? Discount after that if bulk 'order'?
4. How much to charge for revisions if one is included with mix? If mix is $150 should the 2nd revision (1st paid revision) be $80? More??
5. If they get multiple songs mixed, then $150 should be negotiated down a bit? (only if they ask?) or just $150 * 10, etc....
6. I love this website, thank you for you, all of you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Much love and success to you all.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Charge by the hour save yourself a headache.
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Charge by the hour.
How many hours does a mix take on average?

Let me get this straight, consider me a newb of sorts...

Mixing is:

1. balancing levels and placement in the mix (amplitude, eq, compression)
2. adding flavor at the right times; possibly helping to "tell the story", adding to what the Artist is trying to communicate musically (verbs, delays, 'clever' edits, creative additions almost like being a producer)
3. Bringing a feel to the song it didn't have before? Or strengthening the idea that was always there and just sweetening it up?

Yeah....I just worry about things too much and want to know what you peeps feel about it =) Community is good.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to GrahamWaks
How much you charge is totally up to you and what your clients are willing to pay. $50 for a good mix is way to low in my opinion but, again that is your call. With regards to your other questions; recalls are part of the gig, making changes is no longer that hard unless you are mixing in solely in the analog realm. If the client is out of control and is bugging you for more then three recalls then maybe charge them for anything after that but most clients aren't that crazy. I personally don't mind giving the client a copy of the mix session, and I know other engineers include them when delivering a mix, they may remove all plugins though. I guess thats up to you, but if your mix is only $50 and you want to charge $250 for the file something seems a little off.

Hope this helps!

-Graham
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWaks View Post
How much you charge is totally up to you and what your clients are willing to pay. $50 for a good mix is way to low in my opinion but, again that is your call. With regards to your other questions; recalls are part of the gig, making changes is no longer that hard unless you are mixing in solely in the analog realm. If the client is out of control and is bugging you for more then three recalls then maybe charge them for anything after that but most clients aren't that crazy. I personally don't mind giving the client a copy of the mix session, and I know other engineers that always include them when delivering their mixes. I guess thats up to you, but if your mix is only $50 and you want to charge $250 for the file something seems a little off.

Hope this helps!

-Graham
Thank you much for the response!

I agree something would be off with $250 on the session delivery. I guess I might not want to charge at all, that might make me a stickler and I want recurring business and great buzz, not one time clients...

Do you think I am right on those 3 points about what mixing is? Sometimes I over think but I'm just curious about opinions out there...some say mixing is just levels and eq...that seems too basic (no offense).
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWaks View Post
I personally don't mind giving the client a copy of the mix session, and I know other engineers that always include them when delivering their mixes.

-Graham
With plug-ins there? Unless they have them, no use, just send them .wavs?

I know certain graphic designers charge $250 for their master photoshop file layers or what not. I figured it is pretty similar due to the fact that it is your creative spin on their idea and you're "trying" to protect your creative vision by hiding your secrets. If they see what you do, can't the producer just mix the song closer to what you do after they make the beat and use your mix techniques?
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralfixation View Post
Good day!

So, I'll try to make this short and simple....

1. Got a mix gig and they loved the mix, I only charged $50 for it and we didn't sign many papers =( ((i know..))
2. Have had many professionals tell me that my mix is worth $150 at least
3. Have the idea that giving up the session file for mixing a song should be a $250 fee or something? Discount after that if bulk 'order'?
4. How much to charge for revisions if one is included with mix? If mix is $150 should the 2nd revision (1st paid revision) be $80? More??
5. If they get multiple songs mixed, then $150 should be negotiated down a bit? (only if they ask?) or just $150 * 10, etc....
6. I love this website, thank you for you, all of you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Much love and success to you all.
I would never send them the session with all of the work I did. Stems (wavs) for each track I would say is perfectly fine. I would work all of this into your price and do it anyways.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Flat rate mixes can be tough, just like any other job there are a million variables in each project and whats $150 worth of work on one song can be $250 work on another. I don't have set prices for jobs, I always see what I'm getting into first, then give a price. All depends on the project.
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEM View Post
I would never send them the session with all of the work I did. Stems (wavs) for each track I would say is perfectly fine. I would work all of this into your price and do it anyways.
Thank you, I very much vibe with this lol
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
Flat rate mixes can be tough, just like any other job there are a million variables in each project and whats $150 worth of work on one song can be $250 work on another. I don't have set prices for jobs, I always see what I'm getting into first, then give a price. All depends on the project.
When I do flat rate remixes I don't want the writer coming in in the middle and giving me directions. If they thought I was good enough for the flat rate, then let me do my job.
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Good point. I was pondering doing that, I like your take on the listen before, proposal after. Guessing some make you sign a NDA before you hear it?

Nice "signature" by the way, I'm a live sound guy for daily food money and I resonate with that!! ;D

----

Live the dream.
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
When I do flat rate remixes I don't want the writer coming in in the middle and giving me directions. If they thought I was good enough for the flat rate, then let me do my job.
Yeah, definitely don't want interference when trying to work, no good.

You have a great "signature" as well
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Good point. I was pondering doing that, I like your take on the listen before, proposal after. Guessing some make you sign a NDA before you hear it?

Nice "signature" by the way, I'm a live sound guy for daily food money and I resonate with that!! ;D

----

Live the dream.
Hey, but perhaps I should have milked the investors more. Your results may vary.
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Hey, but perhaps I should have milked the investors more. Your results may vary.
I apologize for being thick....but, I don't get it....please clarify? ;/ lol!
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Rising up in the game

So, all these great posts aside:

With this client, if I've charged $50 for a great mix....trust me on that please....I really can't go and charge $150 for the next one....that seems horribly wrong....even if I "am worth it".

Maybe just start asking that from other clients and keep her at a discounted rate and somehow it hopefully won't bite me in the ass?
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

i've been thinking about doing the same thing. i charge $300 per mix but sometimes i get some shit that just seems ridiculous. i mean i literally spend a whole day just editing cause its that bad.

for the op when i first started i started mixing for $80 a track just to get clientele and to improve and expand my resume. now im not expert by far i still have so much to learn but $80 per track got old really fast. no matter what you charge they expect a great mix. if someone told you that your should atleast charge $150 then i would just bump it up to there until you feel you should raise it more. whether it be from to many clients or from feeling like its not enough money. as far as revisions i never charge extra for that. i actually talk to my clients alot, so once i get the project near finish i will send it to them and see what they think and if they want me to add anything. the i will take the rest of the day away from that track until they contact me back then i will finish it. after i finish it if they want me to change something theres no problem. i think the most revisions ive ever had to do was 5 and that was kind of irritating. so i guess if you come into that issue of people going back and forth and not really knowing what they want then i would charge something reasonable for it. like maybe 3 free and then $40 for every revision after that. idk just my .02
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEM View Post
Do you sign massive papers for stuff and try to sign stuff for credits? I feel like it has to be a lot of paper....to be really good??
auralfixation
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx View Post
i've been thinking about doing the same thing. i charge $300 per mix but sometimes i get some shit that just seems ridiculous. i mean i literally spend a whole day just editing cause its that bad.

for the op when i first started i started mixing for $80 a track just to get clientele and to improve and expand my resume. now im not expert by far i still have so much to learn but $80 per track got old really fast. no matter what you charge they expect a great mix. if someone told you that your should atleast charge $150 then i would just bump it up to there until you feel you should raise it more. whether it be from to many clients or from feeling like its not enough money. as far as revisions i never charge extra for that. i actually talk to my clients alot, so once i get the project near finish i will send it to them and see what they think and if they want me to add anything. the i will take the rest of the day away from that track until they contact me back then i will finish it. after i finish it if they want me to change something theres no problem. i think the most revisions ive ever had to do was 5 and that was kind of irritating. so i guess if you come into that issue of people going back and forth and not really knowing what they want then i would charge something reasonable for it. like maybe 3 free and then $40 for every revision after that. idk just my .02
Your $00.02 was great, thank you =)

Do you give up your session files willingly or just send .wavs?
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

i would never give up my session files i have given a few artist their songs tracked out in .wavs though because they wanted to add a few effects themselves to certain parts. sending out session tracks wouldn't make much sense for me because they probably don't have the same plug ins as me and most people dont use the same daw as me.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to GrahamWaks
Auralfixation,

Going back to what I said earlier, yes I'll give them the session with everything in it including plug ins. I am rarely ever asked for the session, but if they want it I don't care, they paid for the mix and what I did on that song will be quite different from the next. I by no means meant in my early post that you should feel compelled to offer them the mix session, I was just saying that to me it is not a bid deal to hand it over. I mix on a hybrid set up so theres not much they can do tweak it once it leaves my studio. If they try to learn something from what I did, then good for them. Mixing is about creativity and taste in my opinion, not technical know how. At a professional level I don't know any mixers that charge by the hour, and on the other end of that, clients with smaller budgets wouldn't be able to afford mixes if they were paying by the hour. At least not by any of the engineers I know. In regards to an above post about spending all day just editing a session, I have done a far bit of assisting for mixing engineers and the bulk of the work is session prep. Some sessions may take only about an hour and others may take six, but how much I get paid is always the same (fortunately the six hour ones are few and far between.) The big mix engineers I know have a rate, and from that rate everything is negotiable to a lower number, thats just kinda how things go these days...

This is a service based business and if the client wants something I try my best to make it happen.

-Graham
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Head

A flat rate usually does not make any sense, there has to be a specific amount of time you're working on the song. Or a maximum amount of time. People have unrealistic expectations. You should base your prices on how FAST you work, also with consideration of how good your work is of course but this comes with supply and demand. Musicians and paperwork? If you want to be in the albums liner notes and that plays a part to whether you're going to take the job or not then I would maybe get something in writing saying so. Otherwise they might put you in, or might choose not too.
I will give them every track for remixing, or show backing tracks, etc. I'd never give them the mix sessions, tricks up your sleeve need to be kept. :-P. I have seen studios with in house engineers that will only give a stereo mix at the end of a session and I think that is bullshit.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

I mix on a flat per song fee. Unlimited revisions are allowed provided the whole project doesn't go over an insane preset limit (which has never really happened). It works quite well and I stay insanely busy. The only time I really work at an hourly rate is really when I'm doing oddball projects like mixtapes and songwriter demo mixes and stuff like that. Those folks don't need perfection, and there is no reason to pay for it - they are trying to get stuff done quick and cheap so there's little point in charging them my normal standard mix fee.

I'm paid to deliver a mix, so that's what I deliver. If they want to hire me to deliver a mix AND a session file, then that's a different job.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I don't give up my session mix files either. If mutes & changes/additions were made in the mix I do. But no plugins are in session & all faders/panning are at unity. Just like you would recieve a 2" reel.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Studio507
I charge a flat rate, it doesn't matter how long it takes me, I'm charging based mostly on my experience, and I don't like clock-watching while I'm mixing, I tend to like to get in my own zone and that may take me 2 hours, or it might take me 2 days, and it's not fair to me or the client to do that on an hourly...

I don't like giving out sessions with plugins either, not that someone is going to "steal my secrets" really, I just don't see the point...I print multiple versions (Vox Up, Vox Down, Clean, Acca, Inst, TV) so I dont see the point, if they want changes they can contact me for them at no charge (within reason of course). I guess one reason to validate not giving out the session is i'd hate to have them tweak something on their own and not do it properly, still credit me, and it sounds like sh*t. Or have someone else tweak something minor and take credit or something, I dunno...I just don't do like doing it...
@parksmusic
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Or have someone else tweak something minor and take credit
That happens a lot. Bob mixes the record. Later they get Hank to increase the reverb return on the kazoo 1dB. Record comes out "mixed by Hank."
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
That happens a lot. Bob mixes the record. Later they get Hank to increase the reverb return on the kazoo 1dB. Record comes out "mixed by Hank."
That's a nasty thing to do. When that happens is it a political move, a marketing move, or simply a greedy move?
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Studio507
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I've had it happen to me. Never again.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Charge by the hour save yourself a headache.
charge by the mix, do a great job, build your clientel, think long term, push yourself to always improve, have a career.
auralfixation
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
charge by the mix, do a great job, build your clientel, think long term, push yourself to always improve, have a career.
you have all been most wonderful, thak you very much! i think I'll charge flat rate by the mix, raise as i go, not give sessions away if i can help it, do it like Ken Lewis says.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Gearslutz App
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Danny Downer
Quote:
do it like Ken Lewis says.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Gearslutz App
Not the worst idea
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search