how do YOU sample in Ableton?
New Reply
Subscribe
Tmoyer1215
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear interested

how do YOU sample in Ableton?

So for the past month I have been trying to learn ableton live 8 and boy am I struggling. Im coming from using maschine as a standalone only so ableton is definitely overwhelming still. Basically I just want to be able to make a track in ableton by sampling a song but I'm not sure how to go about it.

The problem I am having is that there is so many options to slicing the sample, them being slicing it in maschine and then just using maschine as a vst but I feel like if I am using ableton I should be slicing the sample inside of it because the more options for effects and etc.

The next being warping and slicing in arrangement view then dragging the clips into session view and using maschine to trigger scenes like this guy. How to make Kanye West style beats using Ableton Live 8 -- Tutorial - YouTube

Or I could set warp markers and slice the sample to a new midi track and use maschine in a drum rack template to fire the samples.

And I've read you can chop a song in ableton's actual sampler tool but Im pretty clueless on how to use that and the videos on abletons site don't talk about chopping a sample just making new sounds and etc.

I'm truely sorry for the vagueness and length of this post but I've hit a brick wall. How do you guys flip a track in ableton? What do you reccomend for me to do with maschine available?

Thanks so much for any responses
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear interested

Depends on what I'm trying to do with the sample.. I have an MPK49, so if I'm trying to chop the sample in the style of DJ Premier or Pete Rock, I'll set up my warp markers to where each hit is and slice to new midi track to each warp marker in 1/8th notes. I have an MPC preset that's similar to this here..

Ableton Live 8: MPC Chopping & Slicing Preset - YouTube

If I'm trying to do it "Kanye style" where the sample is pretty much played out for a certain number of bars (I don't like to play longer loops on pads), I do it right in the session view and slice the waveform however I like it. I first try to get the BPM of the original track perfect, using warp markers and the metronome, then I play around with the pitch & BPM to manipulate it how I like.

There are definitely a lot of ways to do things in Ableton, and it can get overwhelming, but I would try out the "MPC style" and just use the Maschine as a controller... I've found that Ableton's workflow is just incredible once you get used to it..

As for that tutorial you posted.. I'll say it in the nicest way possible.. I was definitely not a fan of it. Makes things appear way more difficult than they should be..

Hopefully this helped you out.
Tmoyer1215
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg101 View Post
Depends on what I'm trying to do with the sample.. I have an MPK49, so if I'm trying to chop the sample in the style of DJ Premier or Pete Rock, I'll set up my warp markers to where each hit is and slice to new midi track to each warp marker in 1/8th notes. I have an MPC preset that's similar to this here..

Ableton Live 8: MPC Chopping & Slicing Preset - YouTube

If I'm trying to do it "Kanye style" where the sample is pretty much played out for a certain number of bars (I don't like to play longer loops on pads), I do it right in the session view and slice the waveform however I like it. I first try to get the BPM of the original track perfect, using warp markers and the metronome, then I play around with the pitch & BPM to manipulate it how I like.

There are definitely a lot of ways to do things in Ableton, and it can get overwhelming, but I would try out the "MPC style" and just use the Maschine as a controller... I've found that Ableton's workflow is just incredible once you get used to it..

As for that tutorial you posted.. I'll say it in the nicest way possible.. I was definitely not a fan of it. Makes things appear way more difficult than they should be..

Hopefully this helped you out.
Thanks for the response Im going to try the tut out as soon as I get home.

So heres my question for you mr. akg. If I'm playing around with a sample with transpose pitch and etc (kanye steez) and then I want to hop into "mpc style" ill slice the sped up sample to a midi track but then all my tranpose pitch and etc goes right out the window when I do (it goes back to original sound). Is there any way to keep these adjustments to the sample when slicing to a midi track?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoyer1215 View Post
Thanks for the response Im going to try the tut out as soon as I get home.

So heres my question for you mr. akg. If I'm playing around with a sample with transpose pitch and etc (kanye steez) and then I want to hop into "mpc style" ill slice the sped up sample to a midi track but then all my tranpose pitch and etc goes right out the window when I do (it goes back to original sound). Is there any way to keep these adjustments to the sample when slicing to a midi track?
There PROBABLY is, but to be honest, I'm not sure how it's done. I am by no means an Ableton expert. But the video I showed you which has the MPC settings allows you to transpose every slice at the same time, so it's never been much of an issue with me.
Tmoyer1215
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg101 View Post
There PROBABLY is, but to be honest, I'm not sure how it's done. I am by no means an Ableton expert. But the video I showed you which has the MPC settings allows you to transpose every slice at the same time, so it's never been much of an issue with me.
I realize this now that I have followed the tutorial. This was actually the perfect link I needed idk how I haven't watched it before. Thanks so much!
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

If you want to keep your "new" pitch of the sample - first you'll need to freeze&flatten (right-click -> freeze track, then right-click -> flatten) the track with your sample and then chop it up.

Cheers!

www.fatloopshop.com
www.dopeloops.net
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
I'm gonna date your mom.

I don't sample in Ableton.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Im interested to see where this thread goes. Im sick of the slow sampling workflow in reason and want something where i can pitch/time shift and warp audio and have midi info right in front of me. I also want something where chop-to-sampler is as streamlined as possible and user friendly. Everything ive read so far is telling me ableton is the way to go. Im also trying to incorporate some DJ gear into my rig, so it seems like a no brainer. But then i hear stuff like this also.....
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear maniac

The clip arrangement view on Ableton is like turning your daw into a MPC (in my opinion). Except you gotta get your own samples. Use a midi control to fire them off as you record it. It only records in the linear view which you can then edit that afterwards if you want to. It's cool, I love it. The learning curve is not as easy as you may think though. Well at least for me it's not. It's a different and fun way of recording a track and gives you that "live" feel.. All your samples will save into your "live set" and you can use the same sounds in a different order and make a completely different sound out of them. I don't think any of the DAWs are better then the others. They are all just different. In the end you have another song done. the only difference is the program you used to make it. Get the DAW that you think motivates you to make music. That's the one that you should get.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear nut

I believe the fastest way (at least for me) to chop samples is by using warp markers (the ones you set yourself). It's even easier if you're cutting on kicks / snares, because they also leave you this transient marker as a guide. Also if you use Ableton's Sampler & Note Length when slicing to a MIDI track, you save so much space in your hard drive because you don't have to save the sounds and you save time.

Though if you aren't chopping at kicks / snares (if it's just a piano sample, for example) using warps are still great. Unless you really want to do more while chopping, you can use Ableton's Simpler.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search