Matching a Beat to an acapella
New Reply
Subscribe
rpun13
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

Matching a Beat to an acapella

What are the best methods, tips, tricks that you use to match a beat to an acapella? I am using pro tools 9 LE
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

get the original track get the tempo place it your daw to the metronome and then place the accapella over it then remove the original track
rpun13
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

That will distort the vocals placing it to a different tempo, i need the BEAT to match the bpm of the voice, without knowing the BPM of the voice. I usually tap tempo to the acapella to get a general idea and play from there, but i want to know how you guys go about this.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

What he's saying is: get the original track, which the acapella was taken from, find out the bpm of that. Make your session the identical bpm of that original track, and put the acapella in that session. If you can't do that, then tap tempo is the best way to do it.
rpun13
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

Ahh I see, the problem is I only have the vocals and no original track, this is all original vocal not commercial that i can look up.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpun13 View Post
Ahh I see, the problem is I only have the vocals and no original track, this is all original vocal not commercial that i can look up.
Then ask whoever recorded it what tempo they recorded it to?

And if they didn't do it to click/backing track...good luck getting it in time/tune!

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Then ask whoever recorded it what tempo they recorded it to?

And if they didn't do it to click/backing track...good luck getting it in time/tune!
Lol - Co-Signed
rpun13
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

As I said I don't have the original tempo does anyone have any productive opinions?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
As I said I don't have the original tempo does anyone have any productive opinions?
I'm pretty sure all the responses so far have been productive...

... your only option now is to count the tempo of the bars by yourself and wing it until you get it right. Or you can try a bpm counting plug in, but 95% sure it won't work.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That will distort the vocals placing it to a different tempo, i need the BEAT to match the bpm of the voice, without knowing the BPM of the voice. I usually tap tempo to the acapella to get a general idea and play from there, but i want to know how you guys go about this.
Tap tempo is it for acapellas if you don't know the tempo. You may have to cut a slide a piece here or there. Just because you have the correct tempo match does not mean it will fall in correctly with the groove throughout unless you made the music specifically to go with the vocals.

Once you find the general tempo you can change the tempo of the acapella to any bpm you want without distortion/artifacts. It's done everyday, all day by sample producers, for remixes, and by DJs. Every daw has elastic audio/time stretching functions for this. I have gone as far as 20 bpm up or down with elastic audio/x-form in pro tools without artifacts.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Simple.
Make a simple kick and snare beat pattern real quick, quantize and play with the tempo until it grooves right and loops perfectly at 8-16 bars. Then check the next 8-16 and so on.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Simple.
Make a simple kick and snare beat pattern real quick, quantize and play with the tempo until it grooves right and loops perfectly at 8-16 bars. Then check the next 8-16 and so on.
It's only that simple IF the original a cappella maintained a steady tempo that didn't fluctuate at all, which is definitely not always the case.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
It's only that simple IF the original a cappella maintained a steady tempo that didn't fluctuate at all, which is definitely not always the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
And anything can be complex as you want to make it. I think the other helpful members have mentioned timestretch and tap tempo may be needed.
I'm sorry, I missed your helpful post to the OP somewhere in between you countering my post.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

What i do:
A) acacpellas sometimes throw you off when you tap to it if you're out of practice playing an instrument or picking up on rhythms quickly, but i always tap first
B) 4 to the floor kick drum is quicker than making a whole drum loop w/ kicks and snares... you're not trying to make a scratch demo, just get the BPM right? just use 4 kicks on every beat and play w/ their timing til it sounds right
C) click track it. obviously C and B can be reversed but i have a personal hatred for click tracks, they dont sound good and i guess im being a bit of a baby about it so i'll go call the whaaambulance, but this is what i'd do last.

also - loop up a section in your daw, its easier to try and find a 4 bar or a 2 bar passage unless the vocals are really sparse.

im going to assume its rap since you're in the rap forum, it shouldnt take you too long to do any of the above.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
And anything can be complex as you want to make it. I think the other helpful members have mentioned timestretch and tap tempo may be needed.
I'm sorry, I missed your helpful post to the OP somewhere in between you countering my post.
Wow man are you sensitive? I was just stating a fact, not debating you. Your post kinda made it seem like there's a "simple" solution, cut and dried. So I think it is WAS helpful to the OP to let him know that's not always the case. Otherwise he might be trying to find a "perfect" steady tempo in the acappella that may not exist.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

acid's beatmapper.
rpun13
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingrobot View Post
What i do:
A) acacpellas sometimes throw you off when you tap to it if you're out of practice playing an instrument or picking up on rhythms quickly, but i always tap first
B) 4 to the floor kick drum is quicker than making a whole drum loop w/ kicks and snares... you're not trying to make a scratch demo, just get the BPM right? just use 4 kicks on every beat and play w/ their timing til it sounds right
C) click track it. obviously C and B can be reversed but i have a personal hatred for click tracks, they dont sound good and i guess im being a bit of a baby about it so i'll go call the whaaambulance, but this is what i'd do last.

also - loop up a section in your daw, its easier to try and find a 4 bar or a 2 bar passage unless the vocals are really sparse.

im going to assume its rap since you're in the rap forum, it shouldnt take you too long to do any of the above.
Thanks for the info thats a good idea using a 4 on the floor and then go from there, it is actually an R&B vocal with some runs and bridges thats why it was a bit harder to find this time, I wish it was rap i would have found it in 2 bars.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

Best thing is to tap the tempo and
Then try making some rough drums real quick to get an estimation.. Or you can make a drum pattern, and lay it over the vocals and mess with the pitch till its correct.

Also if ur using a decent DAW, u can stretch ur vocals without affecting its quality.

http://soundcloud.com/joeyxoto/movement
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

If you DJ and you're at least decent, Get a vinyl instrumental of something simple that's close to the same tempo. Play the accapella and pitch the record/instrumental by hand with it. Record it. This will give u the ballpark. If you're in protools, use elastic audio to fix/fine tune the instrumental till it's perfect with the vocals, then extract the tempo.
When material gain becomes the god before which all must be sacrificed, even one's own humanity, all manner of crimes and pursuant justifications become possible. And when crimes become heinous enough, as in wars of aggression, genocide and enslavement, the perpetrators have little choice but to dehumanize their victims.--Dr. Joy Degruy Leary
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

@ I'm Who You Think...I just saw the movie version of your avatar a few months ago....excellent! A friend said that I reminded her of the main character.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

As someone who basically does this everyday with vinyl accapella's to verify what a rapper may sound like when I am making a beat, I got really good at using my ears. I just translate that into software. Use your ears, if the beat is too fast, slow it down a bit, if it's too slow, speed it up. It's much more tedious in software but it works.

Also, you can chop up the accapella into pieces to make it fit better if you are really close to being on but not quite there. I do that all the time. Chop each section up into 4 bars or whatever I need. It also helps to make it flow better, even if you know the exact BPM, you can move things slightly to make it fit your instrumental better.

If all else fails, I find melodine often is dead on.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

if you can find a loop in the vocal that loops well and your DAW can tell you how many samples you have selected, you can use Music Math 4 to tell you the bpm for the amount of samples at a given sample rate and a given bar beat length.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

My ear.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search