Login / Register

Does the MPC 3000 have a regular disk drive?
New Reply
Subscribe
Dirty Halo
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Does the MPC 3000 have a regular disk drive?

Sorry for the rookie question... but does the MPC 3000 have a regular disk drive?

Or does it just load via SCSI with a ZIP drive or hardrive?

And if it doesn't have a disk drive, can you connect an external one (a regular disk, not ZIP)

AND 9thanks guys for the help) Can it read MPC 60 disks?

LASLTY (I really appreciate the help!) ... where can I buy some good drum sound libraries?

Thanks guys!!!

-andrews
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to ianbryn11
I have a 3000 le. And it does have an internal 3.5 inch floppy drive. Also has scsi capability.

Www.ghostsbones.bandcamp.com
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I'll also add that I have an external cf card reader hooked up to mine through scsi. But it will only work properly in the first partitian on any disk I've tried so far. About 30 mega a partition. I also tried an external hd I found off eBay, and it didn't work at all. Returned it.
Dirty Halo
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I have a 3000 le. And it does have an internal 3.5 inch floppy drive. Also has scsi capability.
Thanks! I'm getting a 3000 le as well 9totally new to the MPC world)... so it has the connectors to hook up an external floppy drive? (I'm having an internal ZIP installed, but want to know if I can use old floppies from MPC 60 libraries as well... also, if I can connect an external 3.5 drive, do you have a type you recommend?

Thanks so much for the help!

-anrews
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I'll also add that I have an external cf card reader hooked up to mine through scsi. But it will only work properly in the first partitian on any disk I've tried so far. About 30 mega a partition. I also tried an external hd I found off eBay, and it didn't work at all. Returned it.
whats the name of your cf drive ?? and how do u fell about the Vailixi 3.50 software upgrade http://www.mansell-labs.com/products.html .. and whats better the mpc 3000 or the mpc 2000xl
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Thanks! I'm getting a 3000 le as well 9totally new to the MPC world)... so it has the connectors to hook up an external floppy drive? (I'm having an internal ZIP installed, but want to know if I can use old floppies from MPC 60 libraries as well... also, if I can connect an external 3.5 drive, do you have a type you recommend?

-anrews
Yea, it has 1 scsi port. That should enable u to hook it up to a hd, or cf or other type of storage medium... (in theory)... I'm finding the 3000 kind of picky with external scsi storage, and I just tried to load a program and song I did last nite and am having a real bitch of a time. Shit that worked yesterday isn't working now... Kind of maddening....
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
whats the name of your cf drive ?? and how do u fell about the Vailixi 3.50 software upgrade http://www.mansell-labs.com/products.html .. and whats better the mpc 3000 or the mpc 2000xl
The drive says "scsi card readers.com" on the front. Got it from a very helpfull dude i met off eBay.
He told me that they can be kind of picky with the type of cf card that it "likes". I ordered a few different kinds off eBay and am gonna try em and see if any are stable. If not he said I could send it back to him. Like I said, straight up guy. Good businessman.

As far as vailixi 3.5, as far as I know it is no longer available cause the dude who makes em is MIA. No one really knows what's up. But if he turns up again, I'd like to try it. From what I'm told this drive is hot swappable with 3.5.

And as far as 2000xl vs 3000. It's hard to say, I love em both. 3000 has a different sound, that's for sure, and I like the layout and workflow of both. But the fact that 2000xl has a reliable cf reader in it makes it more useable for me right now. I've been using them together for sample intensive stuff. But saving sounds on the 3000 is a lot of trouble with only 3.5 inch floppies working. I'm talking 15 disks for 1 program. That was an unuasually large set of samples, but it was still a huge ordeal to save it all...Gotta get the cf thing going and all will be gravy.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

what about a floppy zip drive .. does it save well with that ??
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

forget using a floppy drive on the mpc3000, use the scsi drive.....
get the memory expanded too, if it isnt already the case.....fairly cheap to do this
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't currently have one, so I couldn't tell ya. That is actually on my short list.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to use floppies all the time and never lost anything. however, sometimes it will take 2 disks if you've got a lot of sounds you're trying to save. a real pita.

Also, my floppy drive died a few months ago. I've been using external scsi for at least a year. works fine.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
I used to use floppies all the time and never lost anything. however, sometimes it will take 2 disks if you've got a lot of sounds you're trying to save. a real pita.

Also, my floppy drive died a few months ago. I've been using external scsi for at least a year. works fine.
edit: just re-read your post and realize you said "floppy ZIP drive."

Are you confusing two different things? afaik, the floppies only come in 3.5 disks. In any case, my scsi drive uses zip disks.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

-anrews
You're in LA, right? you should hit up Bruce Forat: forat.com. he's in Studio City right on Ventura. He's the MPC guru and can probably help you transfer your 60 sounds into your internal zip. He offered to do that for my 3K and I will take him up on it when I get some extra $$.

he can probably point you in the right direction for sounds, too.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
forget using a floppy drive on the mpc3000, use the scsi drive.....
get the memory expanded too, if it isnt already the case.....fairly cheap to do this
i ment what about a zip drive .. not floppy my bad
Dirty Halo
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're in LA, right? you should hit up Bruce Forat: forat.com. he's in Studio City right on Ventura. He's the MPC guru and can probably help you transfer your 60 sounds into your internal zip. He offered to do that for my 3K and I will take him up on it when I get some extra $$.

he can probably point you in the right direction for sounds, too.
Thanks guys and thanks Fooloof (didn't know you were over he btw!)

I am going to bring my 3000 over to Bruce to install a ZIP, but didn't know about transferring my floppies, so thanks for that! So, once I have my ZIP installed and let's say I get my floppies converted to ZIP, is there any good reason to get an external 3.5?

Thanks to all, very helpful!

andrews
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
edit: just re-read your post and realize you said "floppy ZIP drive."

Are you confusing two different things? afaik, the floppies only come in 3.5 disks. In any case, my scsi drive uses zip disks.
what are your thoughts on a external zip drive .. .
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

if anyone wants to know more about CF drives - do search on here, month back did epic post with info for new 3000 owners that want to install one...

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

I am going to bring my 3000 over to Bruce to install a ZIP, but didn't know about transferring my floppies, so thanks for that! So, once I have my ZIP installed and let's say I get my floppies converted to ZIP, is there any good reason to get an external 3.5?

andrews
Since the 3000 comes standard with a built in floppy drive, why dont u just buy an external scsi zip drive for $50 & call it a day? Thats what i use
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
Since the 3000 comes standard with a built in floppy drive, why dont u just buy an external scsi zip drive for $50 & call it a day? Thats what i use
does the zip drive load fast .. and what are ya thoughts about the zip drive .. i never used one ??
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
does the zip drive load fast .. and what are ya thoughts about the zip drive .. i never used one ??
The zip is great! Fast enuff for me....its slower than a sd card but still fine.....make bakups though....magnetic storage can be dubious....like "yo wtf happened to my sequence file? It disappeared!!"

But that only happens once in a blue
Moon.....zips are dope
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

andrews
I would say no. it's much, much slower than the ZIP and the disks don't hold a lot of memory. Just a cumbersome and slower process with floppies.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
what are your thoughts on a external zip drive .. .
I think they're...ggggrreeeeaaaatttt!!!

in all seriousness, they are great. I am using one now and am in no hurry to get an internal one installed. I would if I had a bunch of extra money, but it's a convenience I don't need at the moment.

The only real inconvenience is that, eventually, you'll fill up your ZIP disks and need to get more. The other guy said they were $50. I got one when I bought a Triton Rack used. So, I have no idea what they cost, but they are handy and an easy solution. Just hook the drive to the scsi port and that's it.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
I think they're...ggggrreeeeaaaatttt!!!

in all seriousness, they are great. I am using one now and am in no hurry to get an internal one installed. I would if I had a bunch of extra money, but it's a convenience I don't need at the moment.

The only real inconvenience is that, eventually, you'll fill up your ZIP disks and need to get more. The other guy said they were $50. I got one when I bought a Triton Rack used. So, I have no idea what they cost, but they are handy and an easy solution. Just hook the drive to the scsi port and that's it.
YO THX ALOT ..so last question .. whicth would u rather have mpc 2000xl . or mpc 2000xl
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
YO THX ALOT ..so last question .. whicth would u rather have mpc 2000xl . or mpc 2000xl
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIMobster View Post
oh no not you ... what u stocking me ???
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
oh no not you ... what u stocking me ???
you monsta from mpc forums?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIMobster View Post
you monsta from mpc forums?
like you dont know u the one stocking me ?? nyce try .. SMH
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume you meant to leave the "xl" off one of them, right? either way, I only have experience with the 3K, so I don't have an opinion.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
I assume you meant to leave the "xl" off one of them, right? either way, I only have experience with the 3K, so I don't have an opinion.
LOL yea man 3000 VS 2000XL MY BAD ahahah
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
ok thx
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search