Login / Register

This forum may be predominantly 4 the discussion of production but who can rap?
New Reply
Subscribe
right tangle
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear interested

This forum may be predominantly 4 the discussion of production but who can rap?

At Gearslutz, what I have witnessed, and discussed, has always tended towards the nuances and subtleties of music creation/ post-production.

I am curious, seeing at this is the rap & hip-hop section, to see if there are many artists here who have involvement in more-than-behind-the-laptop aspects of composition: for example, rapping.

I appreciate the technical feedback that I have had access to, requested and received, however; I think that vocal performers can lend so much to a track that the highly nuanced music is elevated even more due to attention being diverted (in this case, to the vocals, which demand attention).

DJ Premier is a sickhead but with Guru, they were both immortalised - one as a SICK producer, the other with dope flow. Combination = Just straight up fly.

I have made a track for which I am currently considering a rapper to feature on.

The style is more cLOUDDEAD than gang starr, admittedly.

Do many people imagine rapping over their instrumental pieces or is it just me?
For now, I'm tired of my instrumentals & want some live vox.

ty for reading

sfez

http://soundcloud.com/rightangletriangle/jiminy-breeze
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

The best producers are rappers .....imho...we have both visions ...that doesn't mean non rappers prodicer are not good , but it misses a little something ....

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Jack of all Trades

There aren't to many of us around here, but there are still some rappers that haven't been scared away by all the gear talk yet.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via Yahoo to urfavorite
I always remember that this gear and technical stuff is second but I'm an artist first,I just rather know how to do everything with out depending on someone else.

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz App
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah rapping is def a plus for a producer, I used to rap a lot and still rap to my beats to feel their vibe.

http://oranesebushido.tumblr.com/

Ben The Glorious Bastard
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear interested

For my career i basically have to do everything myself. Production. Recording. Graphics. Pictures. Nobody really gives a **** about a rapper or believes you when you say thats what u wanna do. I had to leave the gangster shit alone to be successful. It took me 5 years to learn how to use a damn computer to do what i wanted to do but its way better than the shit i was doing. Haha. But anyways You Tell Me.

http://SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STEELBURNER40

I APPRECIATE THE SUPPORT.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
The best producers are rappers .....
not too sure about that.

even if so... they probably are not the best rappers.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

Emcee/Beatmaker here
as a Beatmaker I feel that my personal preference is overwhelming and destroying my potential sales.
People generally don't like my favorite beats until they hear the lyrics I have written for them.
it's just as well tho, I never meant to sell my beats, it was just on the odd chance that I needed extra loot.
I only make beats because I rhyme, and nobody else can or is willing to make, for free, the kind of beats that I want.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear is over-rated

rapper 1st
beat maker 2nd
mixer 3rd
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
The best producers are rappers .....imho...we have both visions ...that doesn't mean non rappers prodicer are not good , but it misses a little something ....
Yeah, if you rap you get a better vibe for the arrangement in general and how things can or should breakdown.
You don't have to be a grade a lyricist. But understanding how to make a track as crazy and creative as possible yet just tame enough so that just about anyone can rap over it easily is a definite advantage.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear nut

Hip-Hop artist here & a newbie producer.

I find myself using old verses I wrote (that fits my instrumental theme) to "rap" over to get a feel to it. Today I've been interested in gear more than ever to expand my capabilities. I feel limited if I can only "rap", likewise if I was only to create beats.

-- I actually hate to be referred as a "rapper", it holds an awful stereotypical definition nowadays, an "artist" fits my criteria better, just my two cents.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
the producer thing only is more recent there was a point when this place was just engineers and another where there were a ton of rappers now its just dominated by guys aspiring to be the next Lex Luger
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. INDUSTRY View Post
Emcee/Beatmaker here
as a Beatmaker I feel that my personal preference is overwhelming and destroying my potential sales.
People generally don't like my favorite beats until they hear the lyrics I have written for them.
it's just as well tho, I never meant to sell my beats, it was just on the odd chance that I needed extra loot.
I only make beats because I rhyme, and nobody else can or is willing to make, for free, the kind of beats that I want.
-- I actually hate to be referred as a "rapper", it holds an awful stereotypical definition nowadays, an "artist" fits my criteria better, just my two cents.

I feel both of you...I been rapping for longer than I care to admit and...1, no one likes my favorite beats until I spit over them 2, the ones I really don't care for are the ones people go ape sh!t over. and 3, at my age saying im a rapper does bring about a certain perception of me that I'm not sure that I want as my first impression. Now when I say I produce or am an aspiring engineer it's a completely different story. I don't know if musicians from other genres go through this or is it exclusively a hip hop thing
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, I basically do whatever to get my expression out or guide the artist I'm producing, If that means rapping or singing...so be it!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

Not a rapper but lost soul expressing my thoughts with words. Rappers are wack...
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Floyd da King View Post
Not a rapper but lost soul expressing my thoughts with words. Rappers are wack...
Your opinion is wack.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post

I feel both of you...I been rapping for longer than I care to admit and...1, no one likes my favorite beats until I spit over them 2, the ones I really don't care for are the ones people go ape sh!t over. and 3, at my age saying im a rapper does bring about a certain perception of me that I'm not sure that I want as my first impression. Now when I say I produce or am an aspiring engineer it's a completely different story. I don't know if musicians from other genres go through this or is it exclusively a hip hop thing
I know Exactly what you mean I'm a artist/producer

I say artist because im not exactly a rapper not exactly a singer and I've always played instruments growing up

I was picking up ground as an artist as a kid but couldn't find a producer to fit my creativity so I started producing, didn't feel like "Engineers" were bringing out what I wanted in my mixes so I became one.

And now i'm this Artist/Producer/Engineer.

Now when a old lady sees me at a store and asks what I do I say "i'm a rapper" she makes a face like she smells dog sh**

If i say producer or engineer she says really? and looks interested I don't get it
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
not too sure about that.

even if so... they probably are not the best rappers.
I hear that but :

RZA
DR DRE
Lil JON
Neptunes
Kayne West
TIMBO
Cool and Dre
MannieFresh
DJ Quik
Bangladesh (yep he told me he was rappin ...)
Dj Paul & Juicy J
KLC
Swizzbeat
Warren G
Eric Sermon
Pete Rock

ect ...those have some in their production !!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

"oh ur a musician? What instrument do you play?"

"I play the sampler!"

"oh.....". Like i said i play cat gut bass
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Your opinion is wack.
Hes prolly one of those people that think rap isnt hiphop...
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear is over-rated

Say
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Say
Gear maniac

Yeah bro, I'm an mc myself. Started with both things at the same time, rapping and beatmaking/enginering and been doing it for over 10 years.

I feel having the whole vision has helped me big time but you can't be the best at everything because u can't dedicate all ur time to only one thing, feel me?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

I'm a rapper/producer/engineer.

I'm very good at producing the beats that I like and that I would would rap on. The past year I have expanded into different hip hop genres for beats, only to sell. Still, for the life of me I can't make a good 'new school' rick ross, lil wayne bla bla bla beat. I just dont think like that and honestly despise with a passion 'new school' rap and what its doing to the culture and the art form. (dumbing it down)

My background of hip hop is old school hip hop, underground & lyrical indie hip hop, so i can rap better than 99% of my clients I record and mix. I have to bite my tongue and remind myself i'm getting paid.

Also, RZA is an amazing producer, but definitely not the strongest rapper out of wu-tang. Dre made amazing beats, but a lot of his raps are ghost written.

I think if you are doing both (rapping and producing) there is one that you are going to spend a little more time and dedication on. Its going to show. Your verses might dope, but beat might be a little more simple. Beats might be complex, but lyrics might not be up to par.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL View Post
I'm a rapper/producer/engineer.

I'm very good at producing the beats that I like and that I would would rap on. The past year I have expanded into different hip hop genres for beats, only to sell. Still, for the life of me I can't make a good 'new school' rick ross, lil wayne bla bla bla beat. I just dont think like that

i can rap better than 99% of my clients I record and mix. I have to bite my tongue and remind myself i'm getting paid.

Also, RZA is an amazing producer, but definitely not the strongest rapper out of wu-tang. Dre made amazing beats, but a lot of his raps are ghost written.

I think if you are doing both (rapping and producing) there is one that you are going to spend a little more time and dedication on. Its going to show. Your verses might dope, but beat might be a little more simple. Beats might be complex, but lyrics might not be up to par.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I can, however make a industry sounding beat if a client wants me too. It's just I'd rather not. But I do try to keep my production sounding current.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Jeezo...u have listed 5 of my favorite producers
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I rap here and there but I am an a white cat from suburbia so I don't really have a style, persona, or general subject matter I am willing to invest my time in. Nothing wrong with that, some people feel it but I strive to make what I love, so I stick to beats. That's just me explaining me.

On the forum, there are really great rappers who lurk but don't post. Or, they have left. Reason being, rap threads always get torn apart. Truth be told, it seems like half the cats around here just mix (which is cool) but don't always get the cultural side of the music. Production/beatmaking deals with mixing so we some how get a long. When rappers post, mixing engineers become critical of spelling, phrasing, and language that defines the culture of hip hop. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but I know some mixing engineers who do primarily rock who have pissed off some great rappers on here, not really knowing so because the only reason I know is through actual conversations with one side or the other off the board. Sorry, that may seem like a rant but rappers don't really get respect here, which is odd to me.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I rap here and there but I am an a white cat from suburbia so I don't really have a style, persona, or general subject matter I am willing to invest my time in. Nothing wrong with that, some people feel it but I strive to make what I love, so I stick to beats. That's just me explaining me.

On the forum, there are really great rappers who lurk but don't post. Or, they have left. Reason being, rap threads always get torn apart. Truth be told, it seems like half the cats around here just mix (which is cool) but don't always get the cultural side of the music. Production/beatmaking deals with mixing so we some how get a long. When rappers post, mixing engineers become critical of spelling, phrasing, and language that defines the culture of hip hop. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but I know some mixing engineers who do primarily rock who have pissed off some great rappers on here, not really knowing so because the only reason I know is through actual conversations with one side or the other off the board. Sorry, that may seem like a rant but rappers don't really get respect here, which is odd to me.
I have "professionalism" beaten into my head everyday at school, so I try to always type as proper as I can, but even with me doing that I get someone spell check me on here everyday -.- .... so you can't win no matter what route you take. lmao smh
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search