Login / Register

"Best" overall MPC
New Reply
Subscribe
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Head

Have had the 60, 1000, 2000XL and 3000.. Most def prefer the 3000..
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depthcharge View Post
but can it load from CF? :D
honestly, that's the only reason I got a 2KXL

Sent from my HTC myTouch_4G_Slide
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post

Yes it can. Should of done more research, many people have modded there 3000s with a SCSI cf card reader.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Yes it can. Should of done more research, many people have modded there 3000s with a SCSI cf card reader.
I thought about modding my Mpc60, anyone ever tried that?
Gonna google it for sure, but anybody in here?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for beer

Quote:
That doesn't really count.

Fine, can you drag/drop samples back/forth on a CF from a computer that the MPC3000 can read?
AFAIK the 2000XL was the first MPC with a file system, which means all the CF readers for the 3000 and older basically break the CF into multiple 32 meg partitions, and store blocks of data, rather than storing each sample/song/program to separate files.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Yeah, my 2000xl is modded. Never had a problem with floppys on the 3000 though.. Kind of a challenge to make a beat fit into one floppy
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
That doesn't really count.

Fine, can you drag/drop samples back/forth on a CF from a computer that the MPC3000 can read?
AFAIK the 2000XL was the first MPC with a file system, which means all the CF readers for the 3000 and older basically break the CF into multiple 32 meg partitions, and store blocks of data, rather than storing each sample/song/program to separate files.
Yes, you can drag and drop samples from computer to cf, then cf to 3000, and vice versa, only thing is sounds have to be in akai .snd format though, cant be .wav. Most programs whether from floppy, zip, or cf can be loaded on both a 3000 and a 2xl.

You are right about the partitions, the 2xl is definitely an upgrade with file system, loading all, and previewing sounds, etc... But that still doesn't mean the 3000 can't save on CF reader. Definitely not enough to buy a 2xl over 3000 if you had choice, but that's my opinion.

To edzion, I havnt with my 60, but people definitely have, I think there's even one on eBay right now with cf reader.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to awhitebeats
4000 here...Fits my workflow perfectly with synths and VSTs. Just huge like they say but mine is stationary unless I go to Patchwerk
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac

Just my 2 cents but if you're just looking to do hip hop, as in, beats and samples, then literally any mpc is up to the task. They can sll do what you need.

Which one is 'best' depends on how you answer these questions:

- Do you want a a rugged lofi sound?
- Do you want general portability?
- Do you want the kind of portability that lets you tap out beats on the bus?
- Do you want you full size but something more budget minded?
- Do you want the modern conveniences (lotsa ram, usb, internal hd etc)?
- Do you want the flagship with all the trimmings?
- Do you want full computer integration?

Depending on which of the above is most important to you, that's what you should buy.

I ended up with a 2500, almost bought a 3000. I have a massive drum library sitting on its internal hd thats always ready to go. And using Usb I can fairly easily transfer sounds between comp and mpc, that's what made the difference to me in the end. I personally think the 3000 is possibly the greatest mpc ever (think classic quantisation, sound quality, build quality) but in the end I couldn't go back to scsi. Transfering samples across would have been too much work. Just couldn't do it.

The downside with the 2500 is that it is poorly built imho, buttons are constantly going loose, some sliders have become unresponsive and so forth. So buy one that's as new as possible if you go that route.

Sent from my GT-I9100
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MIDIchlorian
I would def choose the Renaissance as the new front runner.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depthcharge View Post

Hello,
Can you explain why?
Thanks,
J.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

MHO, but the roland mv8800 beats the mpc hands down. from its editing capability's to its song and pattern mode that resembles a DAW more then anything else. on the fly step sequencying. quick pad layering with filters, tuning, lfo, transposing, pitch shifting, sample trigger looping, envelopes, and a ton more on the fly parameters i cant remember off the top of my head right now. not to mention a built in monophonic synthesis. the damn thing can even act as an outboard TBP or Dynamics processor.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

These topics/threads needs to stop. It's like asking what's the best color. Hits and hot beats were made w all the mpc models. Pick one if you want a mpc, learn it, master it and make good music. There's no wrong or right answer here
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for beer

Quote:
Yes, you can drag and drop samples from computer to cf, then cf to 3000, and vice versa, only thing is sounds have to be in akai .snd format though, cant be .wav. Most programs whether from floppy, zip, or cf can be loaded on both a 3000 and a 2xl.

You are right about the partitions, the 2xl is definitely an upgrade with file system, loading all, and previewing sounds, etc... But that still doesn't mean the 3000 can't save on CF reader. Definitely not enough to buy a 2xl over 3000 if you had choice, but that's my opinion.

To edzion, I havnt with my 60, but people definitely have, I think there's even one on eBay right now with cf reader.
Well I always have a choice - I could have bought a Neve 1073 over a Great River MP-2NV, but nobody was just going to lend me a 1073 to play with

In all honesty, part of the reason I got the 2000XL, and part of the reason the CF reader mattered, was because a few years ago I was pretty much completely ITB, and was moving away from it. I could have got a 3000 for almost double the price, but I wasn't even sure I would like the MPC workflow at all going from ITB, and lets be honest - the 2000XL from what I read is quite a bit more 'modern' (waveform displays instead of numbers, etc etc). Not saying that's good, but coming from ITB, it's at least more familiar. Now that I realize I much prefer the MPC workflow, I have actually been watching for a really cheap 3000 to come up that I could grab
But I by no means regret buying the 2000XL, I love the damn thing. Plus they never listed (or knew) it has the EFX board in it, so it sold for pretty damn cheap considering (to be honest I've never ACTUALLY used it on something, as compared to modern plugins, everything sounds like crap....but they alone sell for quite a bit these days)

Though, I *do* have a question for all you MPC experts out there. I'm going to assume this has something to do with MIDI jitter or something along those lines ... why will 2 recordings (synced to Cubase) from the MPC never sync up? If you make two seperate recordings of the same thing, and overlap them, they'll phase with each other. Same as if you have the same 2 bar loop and record 4 bars, and cut it, and play them together, they'll phase. And its not a 'sync issue', because if I let it record for 200 bars, everything is still perfectly on beat (well, I guess up to the point of the tiny tiny differences...). Why the offset?????? I realize its probably in the less than millisecond range, but its just strange (coming from the younger generation that expects everything digital to be perfect )
szf
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
szf
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to szf
Quote:
You are right about the partitions, the 2xl is definitely an upgrade with file system, loading all, and previewing sounds, etc... But that still doesn't mean the 3000 can't save on CF reader.
Just to clear up, the 2kxl is not able to preview sounds, the 4k was the first to offer that IIRC.

Original music/gear demos:
soundcloud.com/fromafarawayplace

World's biggest sampler shootout [22+ samplers]:
soundcloud.com/sampler-shootout
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

sp1200.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I always have a choice - I could have bought a Neve 1073 over a Great River MP-2NV, but nobody was just going to lend me a 1073 to play with

In all honesty, part of the reason I got the 2000XL, and part of the reason the CF reader mattered, was because a few years ago I was pretty much completely ITB, and was moving away from it. I could have got a 3000 for almost double the price, but I wasn't even sure I would like the MPC workflow at all going from ITB, and lets be honest - the 2000XL from what I read is quite a bit more 'modern' (waveform displays instead of numbers, etc etc). Not saying that's good, but coming from ITB, it's at least more familiar. Now that I realize I much prefer the MPC workflow, I have actually been watching for a really cheap 3000 to come up that I could grab
But I by no means regret buying the 2000XL, I love the damn thing. Plus they never listed (or knew) it has the EFX board in it, so it sold for pretty damn cheap considering (to be honest I've never ACTUALLY used it on something, as compared to modern plugins, everything sounds like crap....but they alone sell for quite a bit these days)

Though, I *do* have a question for all you MPC experts out there. I'm going to assume this has something to do with MIDI jitter or something along those lines ... why will 2 recordings (synced to Cubase) from the MPC never sync up? If you make two seperate recordings of the same thing, and overlap them, they'll phase with each other. Same as if you have the same 2 bar loop and record 4 bars, and cut it, and play them together, they'll phase. And its not a 'sync issue', because if I let it record for 200 bars, everything is still perfectly on beat (well, I guess up to the point of the tiny tiny differences...). Why the offset?????? I realize its probably in the less than millisecond range, but its just strange (coming from the younger generation that expects everything digital to be perfect )
http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New...k%20Watch.html
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

^ hey thank you that was an awesome link, now I can save myself some time and figure out what my offset is then accommodate for it after a midi cable modification of coarse.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Hello,
Can you explain why?
Thanks,
J.
I think it's the perfect balance between the new and old. Good warm sound, stereo-sampling and just enough functions. Plus the build quality and overall feeling is great!
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

I've owned a 500, 1000, 3000/LE and 4000.

My favorite has to be the 4000 because it's a full fledged z sampler with all the benefits of the mpc workflow. Not to mention it's capable of full 24/96 resolution and 512MB of ram!

However, although the 3000 lacks in features...it makes up for a rewarding beat creating experience because you're working within limited confines. If you're looking to get into music production, this is not a machine you want to start with...but making a beat with one is DAMN fun. It lacks time stretch and visual wav forms, so you learn to rely on your ears for most things. This is what makes it so exciting because you're literally building from scratch.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by descry View Post
I've owned a 500, 1000, 3000/LE and 4000.

My favorite has to be the 4000 because it's a full fledged z sampler with all the benefits of the mpc workflow. Not to mention it's capable of full 24/96 resolution and 512MB of ram!

However, although the 3000 lacks in features...it makes up for a rewarding beat creating experience because you're working within limited confines. If you're looking to get into music production, this is not a machine you want to start with...but making a beat with one is DAMN fun. It lacks time stretch and visual wav forms, so you learn to rely on your ears for most things. This is what makes it so exciting because you're literally building from scratch.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
I always add extra instruments after tracking my 3000 beats.
With the 4000 i feel like i could basically do a finished production all inside the machine.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by renato-rizoli View Post
Each MPC has its pros and cons ....

MPC3k is a must have (swing and sound) but its getting old now ....
MPC4k is the most professional but is HUGE and weighs a ton ...
MPC2K5 with JJOS is the best compromise in modern MPCs but has no particular "charism"

That's my personnal opinion ....
I'm kind of down with this post.

I have a upgraded MPC3000 (32MB, hotswap CF internal, 3.5os), but am curious about the 4000 also.

3000 vs 4000
• more 'thick' 90s sound - vague thing that matters to some and not to others
• rock solid sequencer
• build quality is decent compared to some other MPCs

• get pad problems fairly easy, most users find pads a bit unresponsive until sensors are replaced, also faded screens, buttons not working all the standard issues with older kit
• once you do do all the upgrades you've actually spent a lot of cash!
• can't read AIF/WAV - that is a PITA
• transferring sounds from computer is ballz, more a sampler for vinyl heads
• in my opinion you need, CF drive and 3.5os to get the best out of the machine

• can preview sounds
• can read aiff/wav
• bigger screen
• 24bit
• nice clean modern sound
• lots more useful features than the 3000

• lacks lows of MPC60 or MPC3000, not the MPC for the 'golden era' vibe
• some reported OS issues (some people claim these only relate to the Blue version)

If you need HOTSWAP CF drives for your MPC 3000/60 - hit me up its my bag

I would add this though (have posted this before), a min spec MPC60 + a few well chosen rack samplers is a great way of getting the best sequencer of all MPCs and more modern features some cheap rack samplers have.

You could do all your mono drums with the 60 (60 bangs hard), then get a s1000, s1100, ASR10, Roland 750, E-Mu Ultra for your stereo samples.

2000xl is great on a budget!

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
Dor
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Follow me @boomspot
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

Dont get me wrong all mpc's are great, I have owned a 60 mk2, 3000le and 2000 and now a 4000 which is in a different league to the rest!
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Citi View Post
nooooo way. Mpc 5k has a built in synth. although I like being able to plug a keyboard into the 4k, 5k has the most features, just doesnt color the sound much.
LOL come you aint hearing that "BUILT IN SYNTH" on no records trust me.
Please understand that the 4K has akai's most powerful sampler EVER inside of it, do the research.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 View Post
Please understand that the 4K has akai's most powerful sampler EVER inside of it, do the research.
Dude its a 3 osc analog modelling synth with all controls there i front on knobs and sliders.Hours and hours of tweekin fun and experimentation.Dont get me wrong but its well flexible and id choose it over a softy any day.Why not on track?tracks are so good nowadays with analog and all edit-makes me laugh when a lot of music being sold now comes st8 from the ipad mini ect.5k is a real hardware synth.jusayin..
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
4000 + innerclock sync gen + daw of your choice

still the most powerful MPC ever made
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I'm sure people used the synth on the 5000 on records. The Alchemist used the 5000 synth a lot on the Cookbook. There was an interview somewhere where he bigged it up.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Dude its a 3 osc analog modelling synth with all controls there i front on knobs and sliders.Hours and hours of tweekin fun and experimentation.Dont get me wrong but its well flexible and id choose it over a softy any day.Why not on track?tracks are so good nowadays with analog and all edit-makes me laugh when a lot of music being sold now comes st8 from the ipad mini ect.5k is a real hardware synth.jusayin..
I hear you not trying to be pompous but to me built-in synths dont maketh MPC,
its all about the workflow.That's what Nukai did wrong IMHO. Saying that I have an MV8800 which has a built-in AM synth too, I suppose if I did not own other synth I would probably use it.

P.S The MV is for sale, PM me if interested.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search