My IRIG MIDI review
kojo
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear addict

My IRIG MIDI review

Just bought it from the Apple store today. I can definitely say that this thing is going to be worth the $70 spent. For those that dont know about it this allows you to turn your iOs device into a midi instrument with any of the supported apps. What I did was I got it so that I could use my Ipad 2 (or my iphone 4) as a sound module whenever I'm working in my DAW but you can also have it so the ipad is the midi master sequencing stuff like an MPC or you can set up a guitar floor pedal with it.

In this case I used Logic and wanted to sequence/record the ipad. In case any of you wanted to try it, I used my Emu Xboard as the master controller (it uses usb midi). Then I connected the Irig midi to the ipad. Next the IRIG midi In cable connects to my audio interface's midi out. I used my headphone jack to regular stereo cables adapter and connected to the audio interface.

From there i ran a few apps (Sunrizer, Beatmaker 2, animoog, alchemy) and the Xboard/Logic picked it up and played them all just fine! It also comes with a usb cable that will charge your ipad/iphone while you work. I'll probably make a video later tomorrow showing how it all works in my setup but figured I'd put this out there just in case any of you were on the fence about buying it. Is anybody else on here using it?
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

70 bucks for a midi interface is alot to pay. I heard someone mention you can use can use the camera connection kit and cheap midi to USB cable. To get the same job done for cheaper.
kojo
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
70 bucks for a midi interface is alot to pay. I heard someone mention you can use can use the camera connection kit and cheap midi to USB cable. To get the same job done for cheaper.
Interesting. I have the camera kit. I'll grab a midi to USB cable and see if it plays nice. Thanks!
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm trying to find out if an iPad can be used as a multi timbral sound source.

Such as:

MIDI Channel 1 = Korg iM20

MIDI Channel 2 = Sunrizer

And so on.

Id like to sequence with a MPC. Have you ever tried this?
kojo
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I'm trying to find out if an iPad can be used as a multi timbral sound source.

Such as:

MIDI Channel 1 = Korg iM20

MIDI Channel 2 = Sunrizer

And so on.

Id like to sequence with a MPC. Have you ever tried this?
I'd have to test that when I get home. There might be a workaround where u run background audio
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

I know you can sequence different apps at once within the iPad. Of course those apps have to support it. But can they be sequenced externally is what I don't know. I'm very interested in this. Please let me know what you find out. I'm thinking MPC 1000 + iPad could be my mobile set up.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm actually looking into getting the IK iRig Midi for my iPhone 4. My main goal is to use the animoog I bought in logic.

I didn't know they sold it at the apple store. I also have nanostudio, fl studio mobile, and midibridge
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
One of the biggest reason s to use iRig MIDI over the competition is you can still charge your iOS device while using it. With others once your iOS device dies you have to stop and wait for it to charge to use it again. iRig MIDI removes that, allowing you to stay creative by adding a port to charge your iOS device while you use iRig MIDI!
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
One of the biggest reason s to use iRig MIDI over the competition is you can still charge your iOS device while using it. With others once your iOS device dies you have to stop and wait for it to charge to use it again. iRig MIDI removes that, allowing you to stay creative by adding a port to charge your iOS device while you use iRig MIDI!
Niceeee
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I know you can sequence different apps at once within the iPad. Of course those apps have to support it. But can they be sequenced externally is what I don't know. I'm very interested in this. Please let me know what you find out. I'm thinking MPC 1000 + iPad could be my mobile set up.
So I answered my own question. I had to resort to MIDI over Wifi, but it did work. I was sequencing Sunrizer and Addictive synth apps from my MPC 1000. had Sunrizer on MIDI channel 1 and Addictive on channel 2. Quite a nice combo. I'm sure a hard MIDI connection would be much better.But I had to know it would work before making a purchase.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear interested

4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear interested

Question

I'm using an iPad 3, 64 with Sampletank, iRig Midi and an external M-audio keyboard controller.

I have an Otterbox Defender case which wont allow the iRig Midi connector to fit flush with the iPad - rather than wait for an Extender Dock cable to come from China, I got an Apple Camera Connection kit (30 pin AND HDMI) - Midi data wont transfer through it. Does that mean a Dock extender won't as well?

Will I need to cut the Defender case? both the silicone skin and the hard case beneath it?

I don't like the idea if bringing the iPad to my rehearsal space and live situations unprotected.

Seratone
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Banned

I can't speak on if it will work with an extender cable as we haven't tested it with one. Can you shoot our support a message explaining this? they may have a solution for you or test it for you.
14th July 2012
Old 14th July 2012
Gear Head

It does work with a 30 pin extension cable. I'm using it that way right now
My one problem is that I cant get it to work with my MOTU Midi Express 128. It works fine if I use it on my mobile rig (which is what I'm on right now) with a Focusrite interface that has midi ports on the back, but I'm quite upset I cant use it in my studio. The converters I use don't have midi ports on the back of them so my only option for MIDI is the MOTU 128.
10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Did anyone get it to work on ipad 3 with the camera usb connection adaptor??
7th August 2013
Old 7th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonvW View Post
It does work with a 30 pin extension cable. I'm using it that way right now
My one problem is that I cant get it to work with my MOTU Midi Express 128. It works fine if I use it on my mobile rig (which is what I'm on right now) with a Focusrite interface that has midi ports on the back, but I'm quite upset I cant use it in my studio. The converters I use don't have midi ports on the back of them so my only option for MIDI is the MOTU 128.
Hi, I am having the same issue with the iRig midi not working when connected to my Motu 128 - did you ever resolve this ?

Thanks
12th August 2013
Old 12th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwoody View Post
Hi, I am having the same issue with the iRig midi not working when connected to my Motu 128 - did you ever resolve this ?

Thanks
Have either of you reported it to Tech Support? That's the best way to get to the bottom of it. IK Multimedia Support Thanks!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search