Login / Register

Akai Pro to announce the MPC RENAISSANCE
Closed
Subscribe
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Well either way, the 1000 was released more than a full year before O'Donnell took over
The 1000 was to be distributed through Numark when O'Donnel made the buyout offer. The 1000 was released fully under Numarks watch.
mp3
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
The 1000 was to be distributed through Numark when O'Donnel made the buyout offer. The 1000 was released fully under Numarks watch.
Distribution: You build it, I'll get it into the retail channels. Its 'old Akai's' machine, there's really no way around that fact.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Distribution: You build it, I'll get it into the retail channels. Its 'old Akai's' machine, there's really no way around that fact.
We agree on the distribution part but the old Akai was finished when Grande took it over. That's really all they do. They buy failed brands and get the last bit of profit from them. I don't give Numark a pass because it was a faulty design. They decided to sell it and that makes them responsible for the problems.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

Why have you already got a Ren at home Jahrome?

Are you are beta tester ?
Or is it because of over 1000 posts on mpc-forums since January about the Ren?

5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

we are relying on you to tell the truth JAH

How comes you got a Ren at home

come on.....own up
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

^^^ Akai was bled dry that's why Grande bought the brand and it's assets. So get your facts straight. If your brand is acquired by Grande it's in the grave. Regardless where the 1000 came from the fact of the matter is that Numark is responsible for what they sell. PERIOD.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
Oh, you guys...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
If you want to talk grave...let's talk about one of your favorite companies...Roland. cough, cough. The MV line was a failure and discontinued after a very short run. (and yes, I know you are an MV user...that forum is quiet as heck by the way) Let's not forget the abandoned Fantom G line...still being sold but not supported.
Talking of graves, you buried your own argument entirely by talking about lines being discontinued. The Numark Akai line of MPCs is probably most famous for the fact that half of the people who bought them have had to rely on a fired ex-Akai employee to support the machine's OS to make up for the half cocked versions that came with the units.
MPC5000 - Initial release March 2008, V2 software update - February 2009, since then, abandoned. That was a window lasting 11 months.....
I'm not an owner and never have been of the MV8800, but I should point out it was released Oct 2007 and it's final OS update was April 2010.

Numark's approach to supporting 'their' MPC is exactly why I don't give three shits what features are advertised in the current PR drive, I don't trust them to make MPC Renaissance software that works, and I don't trust that they will support it after about the first year of a sea of victims buying it.

Quote:
Why would anyone have a Ren at home if it isn't sold in stores yet? (not a trick question)
Because either a) they work for Akai b) they are one of the selected 'producahs' that no one has heard of that Akai is hoping will help sell the product to bedroom/youtube proto-producahs or c) they're part of a team of shills paid in kind to drown out any valid criticism of the product line on web forums or d) they're on the beta test team.

I genuinely hope you're just d)
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I genuinely hope you find an MPC legacy or otherwise that you like. You like Maschine...go get one. Quite a few of us MPC users own Maschine as well. Join the fam. But don't sit around mad at Akai for something they didn't do to you.
Actually I've just managed to extricate myself from a decade of using NI's software, and the thought of engaging with their take on the MPC form factor chills my blood. In a nutshell my frustration is because I can see the level of sampling that the 4000 reached way back, the connectivity, the nicer form factor of the 5000 (despite it's very basic sound processing) and then the better fx, more ram, piano roll/pattern functions of the MV8800, and I'm left feeling that by now, in 2012, I was expecting to see the machine to end all machines, the one that combined all these mature features without reinventing the wheel, had 'enough' ram, powerful sample manipulation and 'enough' polyphony, the connectivity and ease of plugging in external storage be it SD cards or USB2 drives etc... Frankly it feels as though there's a machine that was never made.

Jumping into a controller for software MPC on a Macbook, yes it might have seemed the inevitable step, but there are a great many people out there for whom the entire point of the MPC is the mental space you are in when it's 'all in the one box' and you are not clicking away at a laptop or detangling usb cables and peripherals or diagnosing software issues or latency. I lift my MPC's up and plonk them on the coffee table in my lounge, it's just the unit & some chunky phones. If it's about carrying the paraphernalia of an expensive Macbook and sundry devices hooked up to the MPC Ren to the coffee table, I probably wouldn't do that, especially with the random factor of small kids running amok and discovering that the laptop hinge does not in fact fold fully backwards.

There was nothing wrong with the MPC form factor as a standalone device, but now no one will ever get to know what it could have been because as you say Roland walked away from MV, the Beat Thang is someones idea of a sick joke and Akai have chosen to chase the Macbook crowd. Even in the world of keyboard workstations it looks as though most of the big names have walked away from their r&d and are now regurgitating bits of their previous models into cheap consumer midi controllers or hobbyist virtual analogs that cost less than an iphone.

Don't get me wrong I understand that for companies like Akai now, their income is no doubt coming 95% from consumers/amateur music makers who want to have some fun making their own tunes and not spending too much to get there, but I can't help the feeling that you could still develop a machine for professional/seasoned musicians that would have all the bells and whistles that are needed, without hindering the basic easy to use appeal that a consumer might buy it for.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaw Evisserppo View Post
Actually I've just managed to extricate myself from a decade of using NI's software, and the thought of engaging with their take on the MPC form factor chills my blood. In a nutshell my frustration is because I can see the level of sampling that the 4000 reached way back, the connectivity, the nicer form factor of the 5000 (despite it's very basic sound processing) and then the better fx, more ram, piano roll/pattern functions of the MV8800, and I'm left feeling that by now, in 2012, I was expecting to see the machine to end all machines, the one that combined all these mature features without reinventing the wheel, had 'enough' ram, powerful sample manipulation and 'enough' polyphony, the connectivity and ease of plugging in external storage be it SD cards or USB2 drives etc... Frankly it feels as though there's a machine that was never made.

Jumping into a controller for software MPC on a Macbook, yes it might have seemed the inevitable step, but there are a great many people out there for whom the entire point of the MPC is the mental space you are in when it's 'all in the one box' and you are not clicking away at a laptop or detangling usb cables and peripherals or diagnosing software issues or latency. I lift my MPC's up and plonk them on the coffee table in my lounge, it's just the unit & some chunky phones. If it's about carrying the paraphernalia of an expensive Macbook and sundry devices hooked up to the MPC Ren to the coffee table, I probably wouldn't do that, especially with the random factor of small kids running amok and discovering that the laptop hinge does not in fact fold fully backwards.

There was nothing wrong with the MPC form factor as a standalone device, but now no one will ever get to know what it could have been because as you say Roland walked away from MV, the Beat Thang is someones idea of a sick joke and Akai have chosen to chase the Macbook crowd. Even in the world of keyboard workstations it looks as though most of the big names have walked away from their r&d and are now regurgitating bits of their previous models into cheap consumer midi controllers or hobbyist virtual analogs that cost less than an iphone.

Don't get me wrong I understand that for companies like Akai now, their income is no doubt coming 95% from consumers/amateur music makers who want to have some fun making their own tunes and not spending too much to get there, but I can't help the feeling that you could still develop a machine for professional/seasoned musicians that would have all the bells and whistles that are needed, without hindering the basic easy to use appeal that a consumer might buy it for.
mp3
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaw Evisserppo View Post
I can't help the feeling that you could still develop a machine for professional/seasoned musicians that would have all the bells and whistles that are needed, without hindering the basic easy to use appeal that a consumer might buy it for.
They tried that with the 4000. It didn't sell well.

Incidentally e-maddox, along with the 1k, the 4k (and the z4/z8) was built during the Grande Holdings era (they bought Akai in 99, those machines were released in 2002) - doesn't smell like a 'Bain job' to me; they were trying to return Akai to profitability, not siphon money.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

i went to mpc forum dot com .. and asked about vintage mode .. and the post got locked and closed , then the mods erased what i wrote .. and what i wrote was .. they have many videos out on the ren .. but why is it i cant find anything about how vintage mode works ..

hello lampdog i win
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
i went to mpc forum dot com .. and asked about vintage mode .. and the post got locked and closed , then the mods erased what i wrote .. and what i wrote was .. they have many videos out on the ren .. but why is it i cant find anything about how vintage mode works ..

hello lampdog i win
What do you want to know?
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MIDIchlorian
I for one think we are lucky to have Jahrome on these forums. He is extremely knowledgeable and might just be a bigger MPC fanatic then myself.
Can we keep the drama to a minimum and stay on topic please guys.

5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
What do you want to know?

i wana know why . mpc forums dot com .. delete post when ask about vintage mode .. they have a sticky put up for all videos mpc ren related Akai MPC Forums - MPC Renaissance/Studio . but know video on vintage mode .. when asked . when will i get a video on that .. it was delted and post removed .. and i was told 2 stop askin .. and and buy it if i wana know and if i dont like it . take it back with in 30 days .... i just think its weird how they lock post and remove comments ..

HELLO LAMP DOG I WIN
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
I for one think we are lucky to have Jahrome on these forums. He is extremely knowledgeable and might just be a bigger MPC fanatic then myself.
Can we keep the drama to a minimum and stay on topic please guys.

YOU WOULD SAY THAT because Jahrome works for akai .. and you on the other hand .. want to sale sounds for akai . so on that note that would make Jahrome your co worker . right ??
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

what used to be passionate sales reps selling a high quality professional product in person, has now been relegated to annoying disingenuous avatars lurking anonymously online who flog cheap consumer products and annoy and placate the hell out of you until you buy the damn thing

sad.....
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Pete blues seems to know some stuff about the Ren and he aint pushing it.
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear addict

I have a question.

Let's say I have the MPC Ren and I want to use the outputs to record to my Digi 003. Well, if they're both using the same computer, will this work? I can't have FL Studio and Pro Tools open at the same time. Would there be a benefit to recording from the outputs anyway?
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I have a question.

Let's say I have the MPC Ren and I want to use the outputs to record to my Digi 003. Well, if they're both using the same computer, will this work? I can't have FL Studio and Pro Tools open at the same time. Would there be a benefit to recording from the outputs anyway?
you can run Pro Tools and the MPC software at the same time, and sync the MPC to MTC using a midi loop (connect midi out to midi in on the Ren). One of our testers has successfully done it.
r22
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
r22
Gear interested

I have Ableton, but I hate the workflow. Using the mouse etc. I read most of the MPC1000 manual and it seems great. I just don't know should I wait for MPC Studio to be released, because it will be actually 100$ cheaper than MPC1000.
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r22 View Post
I have Ableton, but I hate the workflow. Using the mouse etc. I read most of the MPC1000 manual and it seems great. I just don't know should I wait for MPC Studio to be released, because it will be actually 100$ cheaper than MPC1000.
How can you hate something you know nothing about?
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
you can run Pro Tools and the MPC software at the same time, and sync the MPC to MTC using a midi loop (connect midi out to midi in on the Ren). One of our testers has successfully done it.
But will two soundcards work at the same time if your using the audio outputs (ren)into your soundcard?Obviously they must or how do you record the d/a from the renMPC3000 mode?2 soundcards can be a problem for the audio,no?cheers
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Gear addict

Any updates on the release date and the pricing? I've seen $1299, but nothing for the release date. I realize that, if there is an answer, it's probably somewhere in these 43 pages, so I apologize for asking, but I don't want to wade through all the bickering and whatnot to find the answer.
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will certainly exercise my freedom to counter and tell you how its the greatest thing since....the last MPC released.

Any info on the question about the soundcards above Jahrome?thnx
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Gear nut

I wish whatever new shit they brought out would actually come with the same thick pads of the old school MPC's
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewingstuff View Post
what used to be passionate sales reps selling a high quality professional product in person, has now been relegated to annoying disingenuous avatars lurking anonymously online who flog cheap consumer products and annoy and placate the hell out of you until you buy the damn thing

sad.....
ah man that's funny. No doubt. It does suck when your researching gear on a forum, trying to get some real feedback from fellow gear headz and you get a great informative post only to find out it's a sales rep. arggh!

8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Lives for gear

Thanx 4 the reply Jah,yeah that seems logical.What do you think of the 3000 vintage mode from the ren sc?Does it exist?sound like a proper akai?I mean the akais do have a certain sound even the later versions for some reason.Ta
Hobbs_Won
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
@You other guys
I always look forward to talking about MPCs and how to get the most out of them. MPCs don't need a sales pitch....they sell themselves.
OK, but we aren't talking about Music Production Centers anymore...

We are talking Music Production Controllers.. And nobody has ever bought one to tell the story yet.
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Thanx 4 the reply Jah,yeah that seems logical.What do you think of the 3000 vintage mode from the ren sc?Does it exist?sound like a proper akai?I mean the akais do have a certain sound even the later versions for some reason.Ta
Jahrome will not answer you .. cuzz vintage mode is fake imo ... and you will get banned on akai forums dot com if you bring it up imo ..

i win lampdog
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search