MACHINE
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Gear addict

Roland V-Synth XT

Do alot of people still use this, is it a overused piece ? Supposedly it was pretty popular back in the day anyway I'm just wondering about it.
rjx
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE
Do alot of people still use this...popular back in the day.
Yeah, 2005 was such a long time ago
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

lol...back in the day, that thing just came out last year!!!! honestly, as dope as it looks, ive NEVER seen anybody use it or heard ANYBODY say ANYTHING about it
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Gear maniac

Ppl on this forum tend to say it's pretty cool on hip-hop and "2006"-like dance...
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

i like it.
nothing comes even close when it comes to sample tweaking.
That elastic audio stuff is absolutely amazing.
Great for mangling beats and vocals.
The vocoder is dope to.
Im not to crazy about the virtual analog section though.
Its ok to beef up a sampled sound with but it cant touch any real analog synth for sure.
On the other hand the D-50 emulation in this thing is absolutely perfect so if you dig those typical 80s synth sounds this is the closest you can get with todays technology.

Its a very performance oriented synth.
Gotta love the time trip pad because it gives you vector control over up to 16 parameters simultaneously. Quite incredible how much you can change sound with the touch of a finger.

And since a long time its a real cool looking racksynth especially if you use the tilt function!
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Gear addict

Do you just ask about these synths (9-10th post), buy them or do anything with the advice you get here?

i asked about 2 synths and i went and bought both of them. hopefully you not wasting these peoples time.
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, this fool keeps asking the same questions. Do a search of all his posts and you will be amazed at his stupidity.

STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME, MACHINE!!
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Gear nut

For real.

You come off like....a....

...well...like a MACHINE.

BTW, I got a serious question for V-Synth users...

I already RTFM & everything...still confused...

...can I automatically pitch a single user-recorded sample into a full multisample up & down the keyrange, independent of time/duration ?? (all pitched keys automatically occupying time identical to original recording's duration)

Thanks in advance.
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Gear addict

Whats RTFM... Oh... nevermind... I have a feeling you can accomplish that... you would prolly have to load the same sample 5 times (with different names1,2,3,4,5).... for each of the octaves... pitch/timestretch 1 for each octave/keygroup... to fill the span of the keys... that prolly doesn't make any sense... but I'm sure it can be accomplish... theres a screen I've been trying to find since I loaded Ver 2.... that I still cant find... btw... when you load V2 where do the V1 sounds go... understanding the Vsynth is hell for me... then again... I'm still the dumbass the tries to figure everything out before I crack the manual, that way when I decide to finally read it... it feels like a brand new toy... Checkmate what was the second keyboard you copped...
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Gear nut

RTFM = Read the f#@king manual

It was very non-descript regarding sampling.

I've already been doing it the hard way(manual) on the 4000, and before that on the ASR.

I've been looking for a 3rd sampler that can do this sh!t for sure...
... in automatic extra-lazy mode...
...and sound great doing it, for @ least one octave per sample.

"Auto-transpose pitch independent of time/duration", for a whole multisample

$$$ is of no concern, only sound quality/this function.

Thanks in advance.
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

The pitchshifting without changing time is what the V-synth is all about.
All you have to do is to record or import your sample, encode it (tell the V-Synth the original tempo and select one of the algorithms to analyze it like solo, ensemble, or backing and hit execute)
Then you create an init patch, select PCM for OSC 1 and select the user waveform you created from the waveformlist.
Make sure that the variphrase option in the PCM oscillator screen is active and bingo. You can play the sample all over the keyboard with no tempo change.
Of course the really useful range is limited to something like an octave maybe two. Further than that you will get artifacts but htose can sometimes sound really cool.
If you select the time sync feature in the PCM oscillator screen the sample will sync to the patch tempo or the midi clock and if you used the SOLO mode while encoding even the formants will be preserved so you dont get the chipmunk artifacts when transposing the sample upwards.
Solo encoded samples allow you to activate the robot dunction that eliminates all pitches in a melody. Sounds robotic but allows you to totally change the melody in a vocal phrase.
In any case you should try the legato function with vocalsamples (you can activate that in the PCM oscillator page as well).
When you play legato style(without lifting your fingers from the keyboard while playing a line) you can also superimpose new pitches unto a sampled melody.
Scary stuff!

Hope that helps.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I know this thing inside out.
If you want to i can mail you a patch that has everything already set up so you only have to do the import your own sample part.
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta
Whats RTFM... Oh... nevermind... I have a feeling you can accomplish that... you would prolly have to load the same sample 5 times (with different names1,2,3,4,5).... for each of the octaves... pitch/timestretch 1 for each octave/keygroup... to fill the span of the keys... that prolly doesn't make any sense... but I'm sure it can be accomplish... theres a screen I've been trying to find since I loaded Ver 2.... that I still cant find... btw... when you load V2 where do the V1 sounds go... understanding the Vsynth is hell for me... then again... I'm still the dumbass the tries to figure everything out before I crack the manual, that way when I decide to finally read it... it feels like a brand new toy... Checkmate what was the second keyboard you copped...
With V2 you get all new PCM waveforms so the 1.5 patches wouldnt work anymore.
Theres a download at www.Rolandus.com that gives you the V2 features with the 1.5 PCMs so you get kind of the best of both but then again those V2 patches are a lot hotter than the old ones so it only makes sense if you did a lot of custom patches with the old 1.5 PCM waveforms.
REad the manual-its definetly worth it. The V-Synth is a DEEP machine with way more features than most other synth out there and to get the most out of it you need to get under the hood a bit.
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

kontakt > vsynth
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

apples>oranges
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Gear addict

Dr. Wu.... that Patch would be greatly appreciated... my email is babyface_finsta@hotmail.com ... I'll make sure I got thru the manual this weekend, before I start asking any questions... how was the learning curve for you?
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

i will go to the studio this afternoon and send it to you.
Learning curve was quite easy but then again i work as a clinician for synthesizers and software so i deal with these kind of things on a daily basis.
Once you got the hang of elastic audio everything falls in place.
Analyzing the presets is a great to understand the structure of this thing.
Do you have the keyboard or the rack?

best
Dr.Wu
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Gear addict

I have the Keyboard... I'm really looking forward to your patch/email...
29th April 2006
Old 29th April 2006
Gear nut

Healing words from Dr. Wu...thumbsup thumbsup

Oranges it is...laziness is near... ...

Thanks bro.

Can I get some too ??? r.abdullah80@yahoo.com
29th April 2006
Old 29th April 2006
Lives for gear

to me the thing sounds incredible.... i really dig it. sounds better than the fantom in my opinion.
22nd May 2006
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Problem is that the Fantom comes with usable sounds, the V-synths are few and far between, they should've made a little more effort on the soundset.
I had to get a triton on top of it.
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Gear maniac

V-Synth XT used as a Multi-Timbral Sound Module anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik View Post
Do you just ask about these synths (9-10th post), buy them or do anything with the advice you get here?

i asked about 2 synths and i went and bought both of them. hopefully you not wasting these peoples time.
Well good for you, you bought two synths on OP's advice but who cares? Who deemed you the thought police concerning what one can or cannot ask others concerning synth advice on a user forum? You should spend more time making music with the two synths you bought rather than cyber stalk the postings of other users on this site..it makes you look like a creepy lurker....

Anyway, stupidity aside, I was digging into the manual of this rack XT here
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsuppor...YNTH_XT_OM.pdf

and it briefly mentions on page 56 the following:

[I]"The V-Synth XT allows up to 16-part multitimbral operation, and can
be played multitimbrally by performance data sent from an external
device. You can use the V-Synth XT to play the sounds of a song you
created on your sequencer, or as part of an ensemble. From the MIDI
keyboard you can play only the patch that is assigned to part 1. The
PATCH Information window shows you the patch that is assigned
to each part (p. 147).
A sound module that allows you to control multiple sounds
independently in this way is called a
multitimbral sound module"

The only other mention of it is on page 199 where Roland gives a general MIDI terminology based explanation of the Multitimbral capabilities of the XT:

B]"When used as a sound module, the V-Synth XT can receive on up to
sixteen MIDI channels. Sound modules like the V-Synth XT which
can receive multiple MIDI channels simultaneously to play different
sounds on each channel are called
multi-timbral sound modules."

Furthermore, the manual nowhere else goes in depth on how to set it up for 16 parts. I guess that is supposed to be self explanatory?
It mentions "as part of an ensemble"
OK, how does one go about setting up an "Ensemble"?
The fact that the manual implies quite clearly that I have to use my sequencer simply to hear two or three patches simultaneously and then refers to an "Ensemble" is hazy at best . The whole use of obfuscated terminology on the part of Roland (being that the term "Ensemble" shows up elsewhere in reference to different things in the manual) seems a little bit more egregious than a mere oversight on the part of Roland R&D considering their claims in the product literature that the V-synths is in fact, multitimbral. How about saying the V-synth is Multi-timbral BUT with some caveats?
This kind of low level implementation really is a serious misreprepresentation of the concept in Muti-timrality in reference to modern synthsizers being I have never seen one that did not allow you to stack multi-timbral parts, and assign them to one midi channel or split them in several configurations, EVER. ALL, Even my lowly Alesis Micron allows this, even Rolands older XV, JV and JD series modules, allowed you to stack parts to the same midi channel. This is a serious misgiving that really detracts the overall usability of the V-synth as a serious sound design tool and IMHO poor implementation( probably due to cost cutting needed to get the product out the door at the time of manufacture) of the concept of Multi-timbrality. Pretty sad coming from a company with the legacy of Roland, and especially so with a synth that claims to be a sonic mangler of a sound design that the V-Synth claims to be.
Now, an Access Virus TI will allow you to set the Midi Channel of each multi to the same so you can stack 16 sounds (or anycombination therof) to myriad midi channels for multilayered sonic landscapes that are pretty awe inspiring if you ask me ( I love my Virus TI rack unit) . I'd be all on board with the V-synth, if it allowed this, but the lack therof? Well, its the deal breaker for me, I think.

I would hope that Roland, with their 'flagship synth' should be able to easily do the same but in its manual above, but it seems they have a habit of putting out teasers, never implementing a promised addition to a product at the time of manufacture, then dropping it dead in the water. Look at the MV 8800 and all their groove boxes..gone by the wayside. Its a shame.

So What gives? How have those of you that own this unit implemented its very limited Multitimbral features and if you found a workaroundto them, I'd love to hear what yours were?
Cheers
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Check just about every Just Blaze record circa 03-06..the V-synth is all over those records.. including that sweep that everybody stole(Drumma Boy)..Just Blaze created that with the V-synth
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereralgreta View Post
So What gives? How have those of you that own this unit implemented its very limited Multitimbral features and if you found a workaroundto them, I'd love to hear what yours were?
Cheers
I would like more info on this too...
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

The veriphrase technology was an awesome technology in the early 200's, and Roland was the one who developed it in a box for us to use foe recording.

We today use the same technology in time stretch and pitch change with most software.
The veriphrase Technology is used in many Roland products.

VP-9000 Roland VP-9000 | Vintage Synth Explorer
Roland VP9000

V-Synth

I still use my VP-9000 when I may want to try and incorporate new harmony parts or if you need to change pitch, time in real time with hardware.

When it first hit the market the VP-9000 sampler was something like $3,000 dollars New, you could now find it used with the V- Producer software for $300.
I will never part with mine.

Someone asked earlier about the high price of the S900, if you look at the price of the V-Synth's GT and the XT for older unit's could run about $13.00 to $3,500.
It's used very sparingly but it is still worth its weight in gold.
& blessings.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

I have the V synth GT and i aint even touched the surface!

I mean right now im just using it as a midi controller! #fail
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Can someone point me to some of the more "unique" things this instrument can do? I seem to find lots of pads and stuff, but none of it seems beyond the usual pads and stuff. I want to hear the really interesting stuff you won't see in Alchemy or Absynth.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search