Big K.R.I.T.'s Production.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#1
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Big K.R.I.T.'s Production.

What's happening everyone, my name is Wally. I'm Big K.R.I.T.'s DJ and longtime friend and collaborator.

I made this post to see what other producers and engineers (aspiring and professional) thought about KRIT's work behind the boards.

If you have any questions about KRIT's production work feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best that I can.
#2
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #2
Gear maniac
 

Who's Big KRIT?
#3
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #3
Gear addict
 
DIGI ENT's Avatar
 

Sparks what's good? Krit's production is on point. I know he produces most of his records, does he mix as well?
#4
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
PRPS's Avatar
Big KRIT has a ton of talent. His tapes are always refreshing to hear. I can't wait till his official album drops next year
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#5
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post
Who's Big KRIT?
He's an MC/Producer from Meridian, MS. Currently signed to Def Jam.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#6
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
Sparks what's good? Krit's production is on point. I know he produces most of his records, does he mix as well?

Yes he does. He mixed both of his projects "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" and "Return Of 4eva" himself.

He's also mixing his major label debut "Live From The Underground" himself. He's working with other engineers but the final say on all the mixes for the album will be his.
#7
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 

Oh he did Country Shit. That song is tight!
#8
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #8
Jack of all Trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post
Who's Big KRIT?
Lol -

His shit's pretty nice. Mad respect he does all the mixing and shit himself. It's hard work being the brains and the brawn in this industry.
#9
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 
pjonthetrack.com's Avatar
 

I ****s with Big Krit! Real Soulful Beats. Reminds me of a mix between Outkast and early Kanye.
#10
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #10
Gear interested
 
davilla24c's Avatar
 

He's dope imo

His beats are mad soulful
#11
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sparks View Post
What's happening everyone, my name is Wally. I'm Big K.R.I.T.'s DJ and longtime friend and collaborator.

I made this post to see what other producers and engineers (aspiring and professional) thought about KRIT's work behind the boards.

If you have any questions about KRIT's production work feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best that I can.
congrats!!! Return of 4ever has been very high on many best of 2011 lists.

In my personal opinion Krits beats have been good, but not great. BUT they he definitely has a unique sound that's a really good thing.
#12
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #12
Love Krit's output so far. Great to hear such passion outta the south again.

Couple things I was wondering:

-what tools he generally working with for production & mixing? Dude nailed the feel on those albums, everything that sounds best smooth is smooth and everything that works best w/ a lil dirt is still dirty.

-The lil bluesy guitar on "Time Machine", who played that? Krit got a guitarist, or did he do that part himself?

-For the "Country shit" remix were Luda & Bun in the studio at the same time? More of a curiosity than anything, since I read interviews on occasion where whoever is talking about a track says "oh, so'n'so just sent the vocal back after I sent the beat". Sometimes they do that and it sounds obvious, others it doesn't, and on that track the vibe is quite the coherent whole.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#13
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #13
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakejoe View Post
congrats!!! Return of 4ever has been very high on many best of 2011 lists.

In my personal opinion Krits beats have been good, but not great. BUT they he definitely has a unique sound that's a really good thing.
Thanks.

What's an example of a great beat to you?

KRIT's definitely hit his stride. His production has improved leaps and bounds since we first met 5 or 6 years ago. But even then I thought his beats were above average. Especially since he was only 18 yrs old when we met.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#14
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver View Post
Love Krit's output so far. Great to hear such passion outta the south again.

Couple things I was wondering:

-what tools he generally working with for production & mixing? Dude nailed the feel on those albums, everything that sounds best smooth is smooth and everything that works best w/ a lil dirt is still dirty.

-The lil bluesy guitar on "Time Machine", who played that? Krit got a guitarist, or did he do that part himself?

-For the "Country shit" remix were Luda & Bun in the studio at the same time? More of a curiosity than anything, since I read interviews on occasion where whoever is talking about a track says "oh, so'n'so just sent the vocal back after I sent the beat". Sometimes they do that and it sounds obvious, others it doesn't, and on that track the vibe is quite the coherent whole.

KRIT uses Reason, Recycle and Pro Tools. That's pretty much it. Everything was running through a rack mounted digi002 until about 4 months ago when he got a rack mounted digi003. That was the only change in his setup. Oh he added a Maschine to it but he barely uses it. I can only think of one beat he's done with the Maschine that's out for public consumption. He records himself using a Neumann microphone. I can't recall what the model is.

The guy playing on Time Machine is a guy KRIT's known for a while named Kirk. The guitar licks on that song are just parts KRIT chopped up from a session where he just had Kirk come in and shred for about 10 minutes straight. Here's an interesting tidbit about that beat. It has no sample. Other than the guitar licks he chopped up, all the instruments and drum programming is 100% KRIT.


Unfortunately Luda and Bun weren't in the studio w/ KRIT when the "Country Sh**" record was done. However, 8Ball & MJG were in the studio with us when his current single "Money On The Floor" was recorded. There some video of the session on youtube if you want to check it out.
#15
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #15
Gear interested
 

sparks whats good. krit gets hella love here in Baltimore he should do more shows here. anyway my question is does krit plan on rapping on other producers beats for the upcoming album or is he producing 100%? also I noticed you say he uses a digi003. what other hardware does he use and does he prefer hardware vs software?
#16
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
madehumble's Avatar
That's my dude there....... I saw him perform at The Warehouse in Houston on the Smoker's tour. K.R.I.T. tracks are sick. I performed in Mississippi before and they have a certain vibe up there and it shows in his music. Can't wait for the album, gonna buy it on release date.
#17
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #17
Gear Head
 

Huge fan of KRIT wether it's producing or rapping. Two of my favorite beats/songs from him are just touched down and R4 theme song, both of which I saw him perform live. I was always curious as to how he made the beats for those. I also like the fact that he samples legends like bobby womack.
#18
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #18
Gear interested
 

I enjoy his production and look forward to seeing how his music evolves.

His stand out track for me is Voices , it creates a real atmosphere which his vocals complement.

The fact that Def Jam have given him the final say on his mixes shows they must trust his ability and judgment.

Who has been doing the mastering on his previous albums?
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#19
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #19
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyty32 View Post
sparks whats good. krit gets hella love here in Baltimore he should do more shows here. anyway my question is does krit plan on rapping on other producers beats for the upcoming album or is he producing 100%? also I noticed you say he uses a digi003. what other hardware does he use and does he prefer hardware vs software?
We were just in Baltimore this past November at Ram's Head with Method Man and Curren$y. It's always fun in Bmore.

He's producing the whole album.

KRIT's a software guy. Reason in particular. That's his workhorse.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#20
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
That's my dude there....... I saw him perform at The Warehouse in Houston on the Smoker's tour. K.R.I.T. tracks are sick. I performed in Mississippi before and they have a certain vibe up there and in shows in his music. Can't wait for the album, gonna buy it on release date.
Right on. KRIT always does well in Houston. Glad you are enjoying the jams and thanks for the support.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#21
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #21
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty17 View Post
Huge fan of KRIT wether it's producing or rapping. Two of my favorite beats/songs from him are just touched down and R4 theme song, both of which I saw him perform live. I was always curious as to how he made the beats for those. I also like the fact that he samples legends like bobby womack.
Here are some interesting facts about the song "Just Touched Down". The song is nearly 7 years old. It's the very first Big K.R.I.T. song I ever heard. That was in early 2005 and he told me he started on it a year or so prior to me hearing it. Obviously, the 2010 version of the song appeared on "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" was re-worked but it's not all that different than the rough demo version of it. Another thing KRIT told me about that song is that it's EQ'd wrong. He told me to recapture the feel of the original he had to go back and find the session of the original that he did use the settings from that version. Once he did that, he saw how wrong those settings were but the wrong settings gave him the sound and feeling he was trying to capture.

As far as the way KRIT works goes the times I've seen him work it's usually digging for a sample, chopping said sample in Recycle, running it through Dr. Rex to manipulate it the way he wants it, and building the rest of the track using Reason and or Pro Tools. Then the sequencing and mixing is done in Pro Tools.
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#22
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #22
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.FC View Post
I enjoy his production and look forward to seeing how his music evolves.

His stand out track for me is Voices , it creates a real atmosphere which his vocals complement.

The fact that Def Jam have given him the final say on his mixes shows they must trust his ability and judgment.

Who has been doing the mastering on his previous albums?
K.R.I.T. Wuz Here and Return of 4eva are KRIT's mixes straight from Pro Tools.
#23
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #23
Gear interested
 

thanks for all this info, super cool of u....."good enough" has become one of my fav songs

my question, i recall when Krit Wuz Here was released he later came out with a remastered version right? Curious what the thought was behind that....does it relate to your Just Touched Down story?
thanks man
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#24
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #24
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonix View Post
thanks for all this info, super cool of u....."good enough" has become one of my fav songs

my question, i recall when Krit Wuz Here was released he later came out with a remastered version right? Curious what the thought was behind that....does it relate to your Just Touched Down story?
thanks man
That was a just a mistake. The wrong files were sent to the site we did the release with. The volume on those were low. The re-release version and the itunes version of KWH are the correct mixes done by KRIT.
#25
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

return of 4 Eva is great from start to finish
#26
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
bigyo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post
Who's Big KRIT?
C'mon Son
Attached Thumbnails
Big K.R.I.T.'s Production.-son.jpeg  
#27
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Tommycash's Avatar
 

Whats good? Im a big fan of K.R.I.T since I first heard "Children of the world". To me, he is a breath of fresh air. The only question I have is how much does he charge for guest appearances?
#28
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #28
Gear nut
 
osomusicent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
Whats good? Im a big fan of K.R.I.T since I first heard "Children of the world". To me, he is a breath of fresh air. The only question I have is how much does he charge for guest appearances?


I second that question
Wally Sparks
Thread Starter
#29
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #29
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
Whats good? Im a big fan of K.R.I.T since I first heard "Children of the world". To me, he is a breath of fresh air. The only question I have is how much does he charge for guest appearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osomusicent View Post
I second that question
Those types of questions should be directed to his management. The email for that is in KRIT's twitter bio.

I'm just here to talk about his production.
#30
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #30
Gear maniac
 

re

Krit is very good imo. I like his respect for the legends like UGK or 8ball and MJG and he can spit and write well too.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
lamp / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
8
Wolfgang / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9
Remoteness / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
1
PapillonIrl / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5
jazzbutcher / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.