Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Head

Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?

I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?

Stellar CM6

or

Stellar CM5

- Need one for vocals
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Head

Haven't used the CM 5 but I do own the CM6 and truly love it. It really helps lots for vocals that are too sibilant.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Check out the Shootout entitled hundreds to thousands female vocal. Both Stellars are featured.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post
I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?
- Need one for vocals
...the 2 Stellar mics you reference have noticeably different voicings...definately check out that recommended shootout:
Hundreds$ to Thousands$ Female Mic Shootout
...although, while it's a female vocal, you can clearly hear the difference in the mics...the CM-6 is very natural/neutral sounding, with very clear and detailed upper mids and a smoothtop-end...it also has a nice proximity effect when worked closely, which adds some warmth and thickness to the vocal...

...the CM-5 has character, with a more prominent low-end and low-mids, good detail in the upper-mids, but less air and detail on the top-end than the CM-6...

...if you want a silky/shiny modern-pop vocal sound, the CM-6 is the better choice, but if you want a slightly darker, more vintage sound, you will probably like the CM-5 a bit more...both are excellent values, and both mics benefit from tube upgrades (but sound fine with the stock tubes)...
Old 13th December 2011
Gear maniac

i read that the Stellar Mics are just 2 more re-branded Chinese Mics; the same as the Apex 460.....is that true?

If not, what are the differences?
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 13th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...they share little in common other than origin...there's lots of info pertaining to your question..."search" is your friend...

New Stellar CM-6 Tube Microphone

Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?

Stellar cm6 clips!!
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
Manley Reference Cardiod Tube Mod Demonstration
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
Old 14th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
Manley Reference Cardiod Tube Mod Demonstration
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
...generally speaking, the mics are back in stock within weeks, but I can't tell you when exactly that will be, you'll have to contact Peter at Stellar for that info: peter@stellarsoundtech.com
Old 26th November 2012
If anyone has a stellar cm-6 for sale pm me
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search