Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?
Old 9th December 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?

I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?

Stellar CM6


or

Stellar CM5


- Need one for vocals
Old 9th December 2011
  #2
Gear Head
 
westward728's Avatar
 

Haven't used the CM 5 but I do own the CM6 and truly love it. It really helps lots for vocals that are too sibilant.
Old 10th December 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Check out the Shootout entitled hundreds to thousands female vocal. Both Stellars are featured.
Old 10th December 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post
I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?
- Need one for vocals
...the 2 Stellar mics you reference have noticeably different voicings...definately check out that recommended shootout:
Hundreds$ to Thousands$ Female Mic Shootout
...although, while it's a female vocal, you can clearly hear the difference in the mics...the CM-6 is very natural/neutral sounding, with very clear and detailed upper mids and a smoothtop-end...it also has a nice proximity effect when worked closely, which adds some warmth and thickness to the vocal...

...the CM-5 has character, with a more prominent low-end and low-mids, good detail in the upper-mids, but less air and detail on the top-end than the CM-6...

...if you want a silky/shiny modern-pop vocal sound, the CM-6 is the better choice, but if you want a slightly darker, more vintage sound, you will probably like the CM-5 a bit more...both are excellent values, and both mics benefit from tube upgrades (but sound fine with the stock tubes)...
Old 13th December 2011
  #5
Gear maniac
 

i read that the Stellar Mics are just 2 more re-branded Chinese Mics; the same as the Apex 460.....is that true?

If not, what are the differences?
Quote
1
Old 13th December 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Old 13th December 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...they share little in common other than origin...there's lots of info pertaining to your question..."search" is your friend...

New Stellar CM-6 Tube Microphone

Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?

Stellar cm6 clips!!
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
Old 13th December 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):
Hundreds$ to Thousands$ Female Mic Shootout

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
Manley Reference Cardiod Tube Mod Demonstration
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
Old 14th December 2011
  #9
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):
Hundreds$ to Thousands$ Female Mic Shootout

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
Manley Reference Cardiod Tube Mod Demonstration
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
Old 14th December 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
...generally speaking, the mics are back in stock within weeks, but I can't tell you when exactly that will be, you'll have to contact Peter at Stellar for that info: peter@stellarsoundtech.com
Old 26th November 2012
  #11
If anyone has a stellar cm-6 for sale pm me
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ma_ga / Low End Theory
236
jimcasy786 / Low End Theory
19
he_isthatguy313 / So much gear, so little time!
1
jrasia / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
antosys / Low End Theory
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.