Who uses Sony Acid Pro ?
Zacchino
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Who uses Sony Acid Pro ?

I was a bit curious. Who uses this software ??? (or "why do I always feel like I'm the only one using it in the music business ?!!!").

What does the pro audio community think about it, and what does the hip hop producers think about it ?
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

I used it for a long time and got great results with it, importing everything as 1 shots.
Editing was a pretty quick and stright forward which is kinda why i liked it so much. I have since moved into a different sequencer enviroment(PT TDM), but i still from time to time use it when i need quick editing for a demo reel or somthing like that.
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear maniac

I must admit, I think its one of the tightest progs out there for doing the whole thing.I think what some ppl do is that they would do the whole track on there, or more so the musical aspects and then send it to something like PT or Cubase and focus on the vox recordings, mixing and mastering.But some ppl do it all in Acid pro and I dont there's anything wrong with that.I luv the way u can sample in it.Its so kwik and easy.

I think Danger Mouse is another user of it.He's a pioneer of the lo-fi.
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear addict

I often mix in Nuendo... really like it! But if we're talking about arranging, ACID PRO 2.0 is on the TOP!!! I use it from '98 or '99... can't remember, really. It rocks... fast, reliable, crash-proof, easy... everything. Buy it for 20 bucks and you'll see. It's better than new versions. It is very stabile... Offcourse, 2.0 version is not Midi supported, they did it fully later, but I'm using it for sample trimming, Wav drums arranging and effects.

Regards...
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear nut

I have used it since version 1.0; Moved up to 6.0 but i'm not as impressed as I thought i'd be. I want a vertical strip type mixing window; like cubase, nuendo, logic have.

I'm not using it as much as i used to since reason 2.5 and Rex 2.

If they give me a similar look and feel to cubase, nuendo; I'd make it my main DAW with reason re-wired to it.

It could use a facelift as well. Still looks and feels like acid 1.0
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear interested

I usually use pro tools for everything from top to bottom. some of the editing is more tedious in pro toos as well as the file browsing. but it does it all for me.
Recently ive put acid on my home computer which has an Mbox and is ok. but im using acid tons now. its soo easy to use as a sampler. the grid works pretty well for drum note placement. sometimes i end up sliding a note or two late on the sixteenth, without the grid, to give it some swing.
but for editing loops its wicked. you can have the original song in a window below so you can quickly chop out segments from that window and drop em into the edit window.
The beat mapper feature works well and if set can pop up each time you import a sample. it pops up on the screen where you can choose not to use it if you dont want , so its easy to decline if you just want a one shot.
when slicing samples it will put a fade on the lead and trail edge of samples. which is a neccissary and tedious thing to do in pro tools. that alone is a monstorous time saver.
The program will run on a lower class of computers as well so its perfect for makin up the loops and doing the aranging, mixing and tracking of vocals/additional instruments at another location(which someone already mentioned, and is what i do.)
It also seems to be easy to come out with a quiet track. Just watch where your signal is on the master fader display, and stay around -6db to -4db. that will give you some room when in the mix later in the process.
not trying to advertise but check out www.myspace.com/northernlightauthorized I made all those beats with acid.
The trap i fall into with acid is that ,with the amount of file sharing software out there, its easy to have a million mp3's on hand to sample from. acid will import mp3's so i do it all the time. its great really because i can explore the net to learn about wide varietys of different sounds and styles. but on the other end of the burning candle is that im sure my mp3's are never going to match up to someone whos sampling wax with a top quality turtable, DI's, and superb D/A converters.

I guess its perfect for people who want to make music using samples and dont use hardware. i guess you could slide it in nicely in place of an mpc or somthing. but best results will be tracking the loops out using another method, hardware or software
Zacchino
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheone
I want a vertical strip type mixing window; like cubase, nuendo, logic have.
I requested that one, such a shame they didn't make it. Hopefully for ver.7 someday.

Well I guess you guys use Acid just like I do. I don't use loop anymore, except for for some percussions, but very rarely.

Northern light, I really dig your flow, very suttle, great voice man, keep on the good job ! The beats are tight too... Really feels like acid / mpc like way as you said

Anyway, I can't make my rythm without this software, so I stick with it, but from now on I'll be doing all my midi on Cubase, cuz it's still too buggy with Acid 6.0 unfortunately (Gigastudio issues, some strange behaviours when recording midi or audio looped, bugs when editing) because its workflow is a mass killer !!!

I hope Acid 7.0 will have punch in and out, metronome count in, freeze, and more to catch up the other DAWs. It's quite there for sure, and if it gets more recognition, maybe that it will be taken more seriously.
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear interested

I just use Acid for the beat mapper to make remixes
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino
I requested that one, such a shame they didn't make it. Hopefully for ver.7 in 12 years r lol

Well I guess you guys use Acid just like I do. I don't use loop anymore, except for for some percussions, but very rarely.

Northern light, I really dig your flow, very suttle, great voice man, keep on the good job ! The beats are tight too... Really feels like acid / mpc like way as you said

Anyway, I can't make my rythm without this software, so I stick with it, but from now on I'll be doing all my midi on Cubase, cuz it's still too buggy with Acid 6.0 unfortunately (Gigastudio issues, some strange behaviours when recording midi or audio looped, bugs when editing) because its workflow is a mass killer !!!

I hope Acid 7.0 will have punch in and out, metronome count in, freeze, and more to catch up the other DAWs. It's quite there for sure, and if it gets more recognition, maybe that it will be taken more seriously.

If you haven't tried earlier versions... My favorite is 2.0, try it... it's less confusing, volume and pan options are minimal, easy to edit, the grid is clear, too... I hate 5.0, 6.0... probably will hate 7.0 too.

But if you're using it as full DAW as you said, that's another story... but I'm sure there is a bunch of 200 times better progs for it!

Regards...
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear nut

27th May 2011
Old 27th May 2011
Gear maniac

this is an old topic but I wanted to jump in on this because I hope by now we are past the "battle of the daw's" that used to go on back when Pro-Tools was king and Acid (and Fruity loops) were looked at as kid's stuff.

I have used Acid since I first started in computers. I tried Cakewalk and ProTools but came right back. It did lack a bit in the multi-track ing/mixing department, but since 6 it is a fully functional set up.....as is just about anything. I only use it for personal stuff so I still haven't unlocked its full potential. I still discover new things about the program from time to time; it's like every session gets even simpler.

And this is true about nearly everything out there. I have several FREE plug-ins that are great, unlike hardware, where there is a pretty clear divide between professional equipment and "demo tape" stuff. Sure some programs were put together more carefully, with more complex algorithms, more stable, with more capabilities, but as far as sound, everything out there would have been off the charts ten years ago. (btw, Acid 7 is NOT available in 64 bit which is something many spoiled people point to. Sound forge is and I'm sure 8 will be but again, so what......)

Professional sound depends on your "other stuff" like converters, preamp, speakers, mic.....etc

In fact the majority of plug-ins these days are geared toward degrading the sound. lol That's pretty funny. lol

So, anyway I think we can agree that ANY of these daw's will suffice for ANY genre. Asking people opinion is worthless because they're only telling you what THEY prefer. Who cares? That's like going on a forum and asking what flavor kool-aid you should buy at the store tonight.

It's a beautiful time for people like us!! Soak it up! lol
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
Banned

Acid was my main DAW for years. I have mixed whole albums with it. Acid 2. I left around Acid 4.

Acid 2 is the truth. Changed the game.
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

I never used acid to mix, but to record and chop loops it's all I used for like 10 years, up until just recently moving into Reaper.......

love Acid.

actually, it's still what I use when in Windows

the rest of the time I'm in OSX though in Reaper

Acid is so easy to pick up, simple, pleasing workflow
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gratificatius Auralis

Whew...

With all the really heavy/serious guys here....I'm relieved to see this thread!! I have been using Acid since version 1 and have written over 500 pieces total and every release. I like 4 or 6 the best, but use 7 currently.

I miss Sound Forge as a company because they innovated, they had great products. Sony is not capable of providing us with innovation. Sony Acid Studio 7 is a horrible product and I am unable to use it.

I used Cakewalk for years, up to Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 and 7 and then stopped using MIDI to compose with because I started noticing latency. I've been an IT pro for 20 years so I've always had well maintained machines and always WIndows, so never any hardware issues. Sound Forge is great for two track editing, but Acid is my main compositional environment because it is so intuitive. I can go from idea to finished track in no time, and that's more important that what platform or program. I've tried everything for PC, and I like Sonar 8, it seems to be the Pro Tools for Windows, but I haven't gotten that far with it.

I use a MOTU 2408 MKII interface into a Mackie 3208 Mixer and a Mackie HDR 2496. With good outboard gear I can get all the quality I need. I record music for my company and for my own independent release. I would really like to get the Apogee 16 channel thing next, and still use Acid, that would be ideal.
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Head

I'm an Acid user too. I also own Pro Tools 10, Adobe Audition, and Cakewalk Sonar x1 (I own three studios). For production, nothing touches Acid. Beatmapper is the bees knees! While mixing for a rapper, I can take a part of the instrumental, Beatmap it, then set the tempo of the session to tempo of the beat. No guesswork on hooks or anything! Saves a ton of time. Acid is the only daw I will produce in!
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

I used acid pro in 2006 dunno the version, but I loved it. Searching for my disc now actually lol
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

Remember all the good stuff was said 6 years ago.

I have to say that while I might have said lots of good things about Acid in the 1.0 and 2.0 days it has fallen off a cliff in the latter years. Version 6 and 7 were buggy and unstable and lack key features that most DAWs have had now for several years. Sony seems to have put it on sustained engineering mode--no real investment happening at all. And they charge as much as a real DAW. Sonic Foundry made a revolutionary product and Sony let it languish to the point of irrelevancy. I doubt we will see a new version of acid pro again.

I was an Acid user since 1.0. Gave up Cakewalk and Sonar to use it because of the simplicity and the ease of working with audio. But over the years I became more and more frustrated with it. I gave it up and never looked back

I can't believe how much they charge for it, given how far behind Acid Pro 7 is.
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gear maniac

Glad I found this thread

I used acid pro 2 back in 1998 and loved the looping and the sound forge editing.

I then moved onto logic and now Reaper, but there is something so quick and easy about acid, which I still can't get with something as good as Reaper.

I've now gone back to sonic foundry acid pro 3.0. I find this easy and not the bloat of acid 6.0 which I found slow and bloated by Sony

I have heard that the sonic foundry versions were tighter than the later Sony ones?!

So the sampling of sound forge and the playing of acid pro 3 there is something so quick and easy without vsts etc that I love

I'm trying to find other acid users even early primitive versions, like 3.0 as its off everyone's radar

I believe trentemoller uses acid for his stuff? I suppose if your recording into acid and sf, you can do anything as its just an editor and acid as the sample player and sequencer

I loved my acid pro 2 days and in 2012 I still cannot throw the small footprint of acid 3.0 on my cheap old of laptop away!
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gratificatius Auralis

Versions...

I actually liked Acid 4 a great deal, I found it to be snappy. The one thing that causes me to hold out on Acid 7 is that when you initiate a new track you can fully set it up with effects in the windows whereas in older versions a new track had to be initiated only by recording it. With 7 I can set a compression VST on a sound as it is recorded and shoot that sound out through the console to the 2496. I rarely record into Acid itself, but I do sometimes. Mine is running in conjunction with a Motu 2408 MK2, but I am generally happier with the adio quality of the Mackie 2496. I just ordered a Focusright Saffire 24 and I will be using it for live backing track playback and recording. I will see what sounds better between the Focusrite and the 2496. I am eventually going to Apogee stuff either the ADDA 16x stuff or symphony, it will be at that time that I may go ITB or a digital console. I'm curious about the 02R96 for sound quality. I use two Mackie 8 busses and despite all the criticism on here I find them to be indispensible tools for operating in a pro fashion with regards to routing, auxes, bussing and all that and I am not sold on ITB for it's total sound quality either. Acid, I think, is still untouched though for intuitiveness, just getting up and running with a loop to write ideas with. I don't usually write with guitar, but keys, and it just suits me better. I detest Acid Music Studio 7, that's a tricky bugger, it's not file compatible with Acid Pro 7, I found that out the hard way and thought there was no difference.

It is very unfortunate that Sony has bought ACid because Sony, unlike Sound Forge, does not have the creativity and programming resources to continue to extend Acid. I'd love to see voice activated track initiation, calling up "pet" loops that automatically initiate with a new file so you can already have a drum going and just push play to start writing.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Got into Acid 4.0 around 2005 through a friend in the dorms. I didn't know the difference, and had been sampling using Hip Hop Ejay (no joke).

Used Acid 7.0 up until a few months ago, when I finally gave in and started to tool around with Ableton 8.0 more seriously. I'm looking to switch to a new MacBook, and Acid Pro may be the one reason I run a parallel Windows System to Max OS.

Maybe it's familiarity, but the workflow in Acid for certain things (sampling, beatmapper, etc.) are still better than what you get in Ableton IMO. Though, it took a lot more research and tinkering to figure out how to do "simple" things like side chaining.

If someone was getting into production now, and learning from scratch, I don't think I'd recommend picking up Acid. But if it's what you're used to it's still a very powerful tool. Especially if you load it up with plug ins, etc.

I think one of the important lessons I got from years of using Acid was how much mastery of your equipment/DAW really means. Most programs can do what the others can, it's just a matter of understanding how.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

I agree regarding BeatMapping. Very simple once you get the hang of it.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

beatmapper>>>>life.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Acid Pro is prolly the most over-looked and under-estimated production DAW to exist.

Sent from my GT-I9100M
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Acid Pro is prolly the most over-looked and under-estimated production DAW to exist.

Sent from my GT-I9100M
That statement was absolutely true back in the early Sonic Foundry days.

It's absolutely false today. Sony has let the Acid line whither on the vine for many years. Starving it of engineering resources. I doubt they have a single developer working on it now. It has fallen woefully behind just about every competitor. And it's terribly buggy and doesn't work well with many VSTs and VSTis. I would recommend anyone using Acid Pro to start looking for alternatives. And I would strongly discourage anybody who is considering a new purchase.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I started with acid pro 4 in 06. I love the program. Its a powerful tool(and when im on the pc side my go to) especially in combination with Sound Forge. I would basically use the edit window in acid as a sequencer and Im pretty handy making my own K, SN, and HH in SF. Acid is perfect for chopping, arranging, rearranging, and quick editing. I demo'd a handful of DAWs after I started with Acid(FL studio, Reaper, Sonar, and Cubase) and for the most part, for what I was doing Acid worked and works better for my workflow, also I was not as proficient as I am now. If I could have only one DAW I would still choose Acid over all but Sonar with those options today. I Also liked Acid begtter because it didnt have the limitations I felt FL and Reaper had(at that time for me). Sonar was way too advanced for me , as well as Cubas. Also without Acid I would have not got into autiomation as quickly, pluse with its stock AU it made me work a bit harder. I found this one of my greatest rewards, by really digging into the FX I was forced to pay attention with my ears which allowed me to create my own sound and understand the FX I was using. Ahhh nostalgic feelings..lol, hell I even miss the program crashes.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear interested

I know this is a old post! But acid pro is amazing program, I used sonar, pro tools, cubase, and etc. Mostly of them I can say they get the job done right. As in acid pro in my opinion, I have more control with levels editing and etc. I use it for vocals most of the time since 04. Along with sound forge and wave diamond bundle plugin package. Only thing is Sony take a long time to upgrade the software but when they do it a true upgrade. Not like other software where they have to update all the time cause of some issues. I'm stay with acid pro for awhile but still work on other software here and there.

Sent from my Nexus 4
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

I still have 3.0 but it's super unstable with Windows 7. It was my first program so I didn't register so therefore I wasn't able to update after Sony bought it. I was strongly considering it about 3-4 years ago but I was using a lot of hardware and even though it could do multiple tracks at once, it just wasn't as easy as PT. I would consider buying it again but now Reason is really easy to track hardware in.

I always do my actual songs in PT, just for the universal factor because many of the songs I am involved with go to anywhere from 2 to 5 studios so that just makes life easy. I really did enjoy ACID 3.0 as my main daw however and I still would consider using it if it was more "universal".
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear nut

Acid Pro reminds me of Cool Edit: It's been left behind the pack in most aspects compared to today's popular DAWs, but some people still feel like they had 'something' that made them a pleasure to work with. Personally, I think that whatever environment inspires you the most, and lets you be the most creative for your personal style.. go with that one.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear interested

Agreed but give it another chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Remember all the good stuff was said 6 years ago.

I have to say that while I might have said lots of good things about Acid in the 1.0 and 2.0 days it has fallen off a cliff in the latter years. Version 6 and 7 were buggy and unstable and lack key features that most DAWs have had now for several years. Sony seems to have put it on sustained engineering mode--no real investment happening at all. And they charge as much as a real DAW. Sonic Foundry made a revolutionary product and Sony let it languish to the point of irrelevancy. I doubt we will see a new version of acid pro again.

I was an Acid user since 1.0. Gave up Cakewalk and Sonar to use it because of the simplicity and the ease of working with audio. But over the years I became more and more frustrated with it. I gave it up and never looked back

I can't believe how much they charge for it, given how far behind Acid Pro 7 is.
Sony Acid was my very first DAW when I was introduced to computer music back in 97-98 and was the foundation of what I am doing today. The more I learned about computer music making and other DAWs, I strayed away from ACID by 2007 or so and the last version was 4. Just for an "image issue"(stupid), I used things from Cubase, Sonar and the dreadful ProTools...nothing, I mean nothing matches the speed, flexibility and ease of use like ACID PRO. At the end of the day, they all do the same job and outcome but its all about workflow and a DAW that brings out the best of creativity. So, I came back to ACID recently and am I glad I did. Currently using version 7 and without a doubt, brings back the speed and ease of use to the point where I am doing everything from writing to final mixing. I'd say you give it another shot man. The application you used was probably buggy, see if you can find an update. I hope SONY gets their stuff together and puts serious time into this wonderful DAW.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear interested

Acid Pro 7 is still the king!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I still have 3.0 but it's super unstable with Windows 7. It was my first program so I didn't register so therefore I wasn't able to update after Sony bought it. I was strongly considering it about 3-4 years ago but I was using a lot of hardware and even though it could do multiple tracks at once, it just wasn't as easy as PT. I would consider buying it again but now Reason is really easy to track hardware in.

I always do my actual songs in PT, just for the universal factor because many of the songs I am involved with go to anywhere from 2 to 5 studios so that just makes life easy. I really did enjoy ACID 3.0 as my main daw however and I still would consider using it if it was more "universal".
I just returned to acid pro after few years and am very glad I did. I actually abandoned ProTools due to spending more time fixing it than being creative. I have windows 7 and acid pro versions 6&7, both work great with it. You can install a trial version to see how it will hold on your system. I really hope Sony isn't planning on dropping it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search