Login / Register

MPC 2000,2000XL,3000,4000,2500. Whats the best one?
New Reply
Subscribe
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Cool.I gathered that you knew what you were doing.Just added that for anyone else who might not realise.good descriptions of sound btw.
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

I've found that the 2000(classic) has a DISTINCTLY warmer/darker sound than the source. I often sample into it via SPDIF, and even that colors the sound in a fairly obvious way. When used in the manner we all often do: analog inputs driven to JUST before outright clipping, there is often something similar to what I call the "transformer sound". Like the 100-250Hz range has some "hair"...but only a touch. Sampling hi-hats and snares in this way can be dangerous, as they flatten out and lose all sense of depth and space...but for kicks its always incredible.

I've taken to keeping an old DBX 160X(not the newer peakstopPLUS) strapped across the analog inputs and I often just tap the Peak Stop on the way in to allow more of my sample to hit that "golden zone" of great tone without outright distortion. Another neat trick to bring my old MPC 2000(classic) into the modern age is having placed most of my drum library onto a 16GB solid state SCSI drive... This means I had room to use my Maschine library on my MPC! Speaking of Maschine, it makes a KILLER effects/time stretch unit for the MPC... I often create a loop on the MPC, sample it via SPDIF into Maschine, (sometimes chop it up) effects, etc, and then run the whole loop back to the MPC...analog or digital, depending on what I need. It takes longer to write about it on my iPhone than to actual do it in my studio!

Hardware: Korg Polysix, Korg Microkorg, Korg Monotribe, Korg MS-20mini, DSI Prophet 08, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Waldorf Blofeld, Moog Slim Phatty, Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra

Software: Propellerhead Reason 7, Ableton Live 9 Suite, Nuendo 4, NI Maschine

Softies: uHE Diva, ACE, NI Massive, Razor, FM8, Korg Legacy Collection, OP-X Pro II, Morgana, Kontakt, Arturia Prophet V, MinimoogV, Jupiter V, Arp2600V, CS-80V, Emulator X
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

any MPC, as long as it's paired with an s900/s950!

well, unless you don't dig the 90s boombap sound.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Gear nut

I've owned a 2000 and still own a 1000. The 2000 had much more punch which I miss but I don't miss loading up samples on floppy disks that take forever, and having to record samples directly in to the mpc. With the 1000 you can drop them in via USB from your computer.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

my favorite mpc is the 60II for it's sound/groove & layout.. but the 3000 is better featured and almost identical so it's really a tie in between those two... 2000XL comes after but late behind.. i haven't turned mine on in years, the 60II/3000 get used daily
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search