Does Serato work in Pro Tools?
New Reply
Subscribe
E.rOk.stA
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does Serato work in Pro Tools?

I'm tryin to figure out how to better integrate my DJ rig with my studio. My CDX crapped out on me so I need to figure out a new headache free way to scratch vocal takes seamlessly into PT. I prefer to do it with real turntables (which I have) 'cause that's what I'm good at.

I'm debating Serato, Traktor??
www.wordofmoufrecordings.com
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Gear interested

I'm using Traktor Scratch Duo with my Technics & I love it (cheap too). But I have a laptop running Traktor, which I record into Pro Tools (on a desktop). Never tried running everything off the same computer though.

Haven't used the newer Serato, but SL1 & Traktor Scratch feel the same to me. The price swayed me to the Duo. I didn't need the fancy effects/4 decks that Traktor Pro offers.

I've also tried M-Audio Torq, but the feel was sloppy (latency). Noticeable on quick cuts. This may have been how it was set up though (wasn't mine). I also found the software interface way too cluttered.
E.rOk.stA
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I can't mess with latency. I just want everything to be happening in 1 PC. If Rewire supported it, that would be sweet.
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Gear addict

eRok -

Right now i dont think either Serato or Traktor seamlessly integrate with protools.

I'd imagine you're looking at a quality loss if you do it this way because im going to take a shot in the dark and say serato wont load you up a 24 bit/44.1kHz (or 48 or 192 etc) file but if you bounce your acapella to a 16 bit wav file, load that in serato and have your mixer's master out go to whatever AD/DA converter ins you use you should be able to record right into ProTools

i'd still give it a try with a full 24 bit .wav file though at whatever sample rate you're recording at.

If this is super important to you i'd look into bridge / ableton live solely for this one thing. I'm not up on what the **** bridge does but i've had an earful from folks talking about how amazing bridge + serato + ableton is, i just dont know what exactly it is that it does together besides play real nice together.

i do basically the same thing when i record mixes except i open up audacity instead of protools since my CPU = dogshit and for some reason it made sense in my head to not record directly into ProTools on that rig, although it would have been easier since i just import those file right into protools to EQ etc.
E.rOk.stA
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, Abelton rewires to Pro Tools so maybe I can work that angle....
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you can record into ableton with soundflower, from serato or traktor. A quick google search comes up with lots of possibilities for recording into ableton.
Traktor or serato ->Ableton rewired into protools sounds like a mess to me. I'd just record at the proper bpm into ableton, bounce, then import into pt.
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Deckadance is vsti, it's from IL (FL Studio), with a wrapper it should work in PT, it works with vinyl control and is compatible with most control surfaces, it's not too expensive so you can get it for you "DAW integrated" tasks and have one of the industry standards on the side for pure DJing.
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Studio507
I record Serato into ProTools on a daily basis. Not that complicated. Run your mixer outputs into your Interface and go. I keep the PT windows up and run Serato in the background, I don't need to see it.
@parksmusic
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I want to record Serato as "movements" rather than audio (the equivalent of automation in your DAW) how do I this?

It is my impression that if you use and enabled mixer (such as Rane TTM57) and a compatible DAW (Ableton Live I beleive) I can record the mix not as audio, but as movements on audio tracks... Ie, I can later fine tune/tweak both record and fader movements on the scratches/mixes.

Is there any truth in this?
E.rOk.stA
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
I record Serato into ProTools on a daily basis. Not that complicated. Run your mixer outputs into your Interface and go. I keep the PT windows up and run Serato in the background, I don't need to see it.
Yeah, that's what I sorta figured on, I was just curious if there was a way to avoid the extra cycle through the converters.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search