EVENT 20/20 vs. EVENT ASP8 monitors
New Reply
Subscribe
affinitysound
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear nut

EVENT 20/20 vs. EVENT ASP8 monitors

just curious which set of monitors u guys think is better. im lookin to buy one of these . im lookin for monitors with real punchy bass. help me out thanks.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

your monitors wont give you real punchy bass.... your mixes will, but I have used both and own the asp8's now.... They are great, do a search!
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

ASP? Acute Spanker's Palm?
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinitysound
just curious which set of monitors u guys think is better. im lookin to buy one of these . im lookin for monitors with real punchy bass. help me out thanks.

There is no competition between these monitors.

The ASP 8's are far superior, professional quality monitors. The 20/20's are nowhere near as revealing, clear, full spectrum, or just plain good. In fact the 20/20 stink by comparison. Your mixes will improve by 200% and you will spend less time trying to "fix" them since you can now hear what you're doing.

But don't listen to me...take your tracks and play thru some ASP8's. Or just buy them from a place with a good return policy and compare them in your own studio. That's what I did, and my 20/20's were put on Ebay the next day, and long gone a week later.

Powerman has spoken!
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Gear addict

Take a look inside the ASP8, or any Event product for that matter, and look at the build quality. Then come back and tell me these are "professional" quality monitors. Just because it has a shiny plastic exterior doesnt make it pro. Hiding behind that slick black exterior is the biggest POS cabinet, and components i've ever seen in my 15 years of pro recording. Amazing the crap manufacturers are passing off as pro level these days. You could buy comparable components out of a white van for less.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't dissembled mine. I didn't want to void the warranty. I don't care if there is actual dog poopy sitting in there. If it doesn't smell and the monitors sound as good as they do, then fine. A majority would say that they are comparable (and most would say better) than the Mackies, which are standard.
I thought they were better than the Mackies. Sure, they aren't top of the line, but POS is an overstatement.
I'm not a professional, though, so...
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

I've worked with the Event TR8, KRK V88, Yamaha NS10, Sky Blues, Mackies 824 and 624. The Event Asp8 are the bang for the buck! I wouldn't compare them to ADAMS, but they sound better than a lot of monitors in it's price range.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Gear addict

I own the Event 20/20s, the Tria's, and the ASP8's.

Bang for buck, the ASP8s are the best monitors in their price range. I did some HARD shopping using commercial recordings that I was VERY familiar with to make that determination. To be fair, most of the monitors I compared them to did sound good (Dynaudios, Tannoys, etc.), but I still came back to the ASP8s.

As far as components, I have to agreed with feyshay. I wouldn't care if they were made of tin cans and strings. I'm after RESULTS and so are my clients. If my mixes are clear and open and translate well, who cares?!
Ideas are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny. - Carl Schurz

31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
I want to sell my 20/20's and get some Dynaudios.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
i use to really like asp8's but after using them in a great room with other highend monitors i felt they they didn't give me a true sound...(don't bite my head off guys, just stating my experiences)

to me they sounded as if they had an exciter on them. i listened to great mixes on them(nora jones,mary J, some janet, even some ray charles) and a/b them to other monitors and i slowly didn't like them as much.

back when i was using 20/20's i was gonna upgrade to the asp8's. i a/b'd them to other monitors and thought they were great and for the price i was real happy... my hole thing was they didn't traslate very well for me... they "SOUND" good.. but i don't want monitors that sound good i want monitors that are as close to flat as i can get... i ended up with mackie hr824(which i use to hate) b/c every mix i do on them traslate perfect. my 20/20's are now in my bedroom as a part of my lil home theater in my room... sound awesome vs my bose 301's i had lol
my next set of monitors are gonna be Bearfoot MM27's
ILL
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
ILL
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
i use to really like asp8's but after using them in a great room with other highend monitors i felt they they didn't give me a true sound...(don't bite my head off guys, just stating my experiences)

to me they sounded as if they had an exciter on them. i listened to great mixes on them(nora jones,mary J, some janet, even some ray charles) and a/b them to other monitors and i slowly didn't like them as much.

back when i was using 20/20's i was gonna upgrade to the asp8's. i a/b'd them to other monitors and thought they were great and for the price i was real happy... my hole thing was they didn't traslate very well for me... they "SOUND" good.. but i don't want monitors that sound good i want monitors that are as close to flat as i can get... i ended up with mackie hr824(which i use to hate) b/c every mix i do on them traslate perfect. my 20/20's are now in my bedroom as a part of my lil home theater in my room... sound awesome vs my bose 301's i had lol
my next set of monitors are gonna be Bearfoot MM27's
What did you a/b against the asp8 ?
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL
What did you a/b against the asp8 ?
Quite a few monitors.
right off the top of my head

Tannoy Precision 8D.. i didn't like them. i'd take the asp8's over them in a second

Genelec 1031... i've never been a fan of these monitors but they happen to translate well. overall the asp8's "SOUNDED" better but weren't as true"

Geneclec 8050....these monitors i mix on when i engineer at my partners studio. i personally told him to get the adams S2.5A's over the,. i'm not to fond of them. i feel as if they're over emphasized around 3-6k...and they can't be anywhere near flat. when i play a mix with guitars though them they have huge presence even though i know i ducked the guitar or have them in the background.

Adams s2.5a... i like these monitors and if i had the money back when i bought the mackies i would've spend the extra and just got the adams. some of my best mixes have been b/c these monitors. i can do 2 mixes and call it day with the adams. with the 8050's i find myself doing like 4-5 mixes at times... keep going back adjusting something...

dynaudio bm15A... it was a toss up. i was gonna buy these over the mackies but when i had a chance to demo them in my mixing area i chose the mackies over them but i do like the bm15a. i could mix on them all day with out a problem

Mackie 824... i never liked them, but i never had a chance to use them in a good room. once i got them in a good room and played them side by side with the asp8's.. i was like wow.. they offer a much truer sound for me. i played songs that i know didn't have a lot of bass and it was smooth as can get though the mackies.. though the events i hear rumbles and bass that actually isn't in the song.( i have 2 of the best 12inch subs money can buy with great amps in my car and they didn't have the extra rumble i heard in the asp8's )

JBL LSR4328P... just messed with them 2 weeks ago. my boy bought them to replace his 20/20bas's... they're alright. i need more time on them and a chance to really sit down and mix on them... wasn't to fond of their low end

like i said its just me. i feel the asp8's ARE good monitors hell i use to always tell ppl to get them.. but when it comes to me mixing on them.. naw...
my next set of monitors like i said will be either the Bearfoot MM27's or my new best friends i mixed on last night, Klein & Hummel 0300D
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Gear addict

DivineMusic:

I can respect your opinion, but I don't think you were really comparing apples to apples. Some of the monitors you named in your post, specifically the Genelecs and ADAMs aren't really in the same price range. Given the extra budget, I would've stepped up to those, as well.

For me, the Mackie 824s ran a close second to the ASP8s. The JBLs were garbage - overpriced hype. The Dynaudios came in third. In the end, the question is all about results. I mostly work on R&B, Dance/Pop, and Hip Hop. All are bass heavy and scream for frequency seperation in a big way. The ASP8s deliver for me.

Peace,
The Wee Man
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

yea i understand the price difference but i looked at like this... i paid $1200 for mackies.. my guys got a deal a paid $3600 for 8050's... i don't like the 8050's at all. i get much better mixes on 824's.. the price shouldn't matter to much though with the adams the build quality,amps,crossover point etc is a big difference... but when i can use 1200 dollar monitors vs 3600 monitors and still do my mixes the same way i go about mixing the the mix on the $1200 dollar monitors are that much better.. somethings wrong.. imo the gen8050's aren't worth 3600.. its the name that makes them sell for that much...imo those monitors should sell for more than the ba15a's.. b/c they aren't in adams league.

peewee, i also mostly work r&b and hiphop... not to mention crunk sh!t being in atlanta. so i fully understand about bass heavy mixes and freq.Seperation...
as long as the asp8's give you good mixes and your clients are happy thats all that matters.. i wasn't saying asp8's suck.. they just aren't for me anymore...
i wouldn't mind hearing the sp8's with bryston 4B ST.. i use one with ns-10's and get some awesome mixes when i don't feel like using the 8050's
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

mackies and gennies don't mix.. gennies are a standard. period. and yes asp 8's are good. no, they are not genelecs and adams, but they are good. to each his own on what you get a good mix on..
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
the asp8's are ok IMO..but get the Dynaudio BM5a or BM6a instead....you won't be sorry
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Im so happy that this thread is up!!

Hi fellas!

I was just about to start a thread about Event monitor because i'm a 2020 user since now over 5 years and i'm lookiong to buy new monitors. And someone exactly , because i have the 2020 bi amplified, he suggested me "why dont you go and get the Precison 8 or ASP8? Then i todl myslef, true, its not a bad idea because i'm used to Event sound quality also (of course i'm taking in consideration also about the price of Event towards high End Monitors).

But but even i know the Precision 8 are a way for me, because i've heard a lot of good things about them, and working as other here in hte Urban music scene (R&B- hip-hop etc..) , at the END i was feeling that in my mixes with the 2020s, i'm missing something, the clarity and also the Stereo imaging of the monitors. And i was wondering if the 2020's were really making me here the REAL thing. And then i started hearing about Adam's and hear them in action "Damn.... night and day for sure", i've heard Dynaudio "wow also but the Adam's had something higher.

Then now i'm a bit concerned on wich monitors to choose. I'v also noticed about the EMES monitors , the OWL.. So now besides the Precision 8, wich of these monitors would you suggest better for Urban POP hip-hop and movie soundtrack producer either:

ADAMs (and wich one you woudl suggest, will be the one that they sale in bundle the SUB?)

EMES: I'm very curious about these, because of their new approach of stero imaging etc.. talking about the OWL

M-Audio: Not really sure but was thinking about the X series..

Thaxn for any great suggestion... and please everything that i've said here that either i liek or dislike, its simply personal TASTE.

Thank you all

My
2nd April 2006
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

adams are it baby!!! they are smashing all other monitors with their eyes closed. even the smaller and less expensive monitors (which still have a decent price tag on them) put just about everything else to shame. other monitor companies have to recognise that a company that has been in the studio monitor business for 5 years or so and have become the "standard" hi end monitor better recognise!!! i have gennies and i love them, but when God blesses me with the cash.. i will be picking up some adams... it's just that simple....
2nd April 2006
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987
adams are it baby!!! they are smashing all other monitors with their eyes closed. even the smaller and less expensive monitors (which still have a decent price tag on them) put just about everything else to shame. other monitor companies have to recognise that a company that has been in the studio monitor business for 5 years or so and have become the "standard" hi end monitor better recognise!!! i have gennies and i love them, but when God blesses me with the cash.. i will be picking up some adams... it's just that simple....
Hey buddy!

I've been doig some research and i just noticed in Adam's websirte, they've announced the A7 series and they are saying these one will be at a very good price but anyways, one thing for sure, the more it goes the more i think i willbe going towards Adams becauae i've heard them working and DAMN!!! they are just the right monitor for Mixing and monitoring. Wow, I've heard also about the PMC but i'm gonna have to go and give it try and listen some song on them and see how it compares with Adams.. Wow... thanx fellas for sharing

My
2nd April 2006
Old 2nd April 2006
Gear addict

asp8 are worth it and are a bang for the buck. But good luck in choosing the right one.
2nd April 2006
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone try the Event ALP 5 monitors?
5th December 2007
Old 5th December 2007
Gear interested

20/20 versus ASP8

Hey man. The big thing to remember here is that everyone has a differant ear so you need to go out and listen to some of what's out there or, like it has already been mentioned, purchase them from a store that will let you bring them back if you don't like them. I personally own both 20/20's and ASP8's and love them both. But they both sound a lot differant. The big thing on the 20/20's is the only to own are the original none Biamped powered versions which had both power amps in one speaker. Those are the ones that won some editor awards and consumer picks. The others sound completely differant.
I will say i personally don't like the Adams monitors that i have used. They were the three speaker satellite system, and yes it was in a good room. And for around $3900 i would have rather spent the $330 on a pair of ALP5's which rock.
5th December 2007
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinitysound View Post
Like KrackerJackmusic says, best thing to do is try out the monitors in your room!

Find an audio store with a good returns policy and try as many monitors as possible.

I have tried the ASP8 's and they go LOUD. Almost like a midfield. If your room is on the small side the bass end could be too much and you will be overcompensating when mixing. If this is the case maybe go for the ASP6.

I personally went for a pair of Adams as the bass is tight and punchy but not overblown. I also liked the Quested S7 monitors when i tested. Very good full bass. Double bass sounded great through them! IMO anyway

Try as many as you can stand before settling cos at the end of the day they have to be right for your personal needs. Personally I was not sure the ASP8 's were critical enough for me. Def a vibey monitor.
5th December 2007
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

I work in pro rooms as well as my own room at home. I have the ASP8's at home, and I get great results that translate well to other systems. IMHO the Mackie's are overhyped garbage (yes, the new ones too), as well as having really poor quality control. Mackie is not the company it used to be. I like the Adam's, but for the A7's I'd want a sub. Dyn's are nice, but I wouldn't go for the BM5a's (especially for hip-hop/r&b), not enough low end. The BM6's are nice, the BM15's are even better. Stay away from M-Audio, lyingest monitors I've ever heard.
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Pistolpete Send a message via Yahoo to Pistolpete
asps

I too have used the Mackies and the asp8's and prefer the asp8's by far to the mackies. I used the Mackies and had the worst time getting my mixes to translate well to a outside source. I switched over to the asp8's and wow, what a difference. The asp'8s provided a much more clear and appearent stereo field and seemed to really bring debth to the music vs the rather flat boring mackies. My mixes also were translating much better now that I switched over. After adding a 2 channel 31 band eq in-in line and correcting some rather bad room problems the asp8's really opened up. when a/b between the eq/non eq i couldnt believe the difference. The music seemed to leap from the speakers as if someone was sitting on my console playing instruments. I definitly would recommend the asp8's.

I also added the yamaha hs10 sub to the asp8's and they sound beautiful after mild frequency adjustments.
7th December 2007
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I Mixed on 20/20's for years and years. made many hit records with them. Mixing with the SP8's now and have made a few hits with those so far too.

The 20/20's paired with a subwoofer (at least mine, a JBL LSR12P) a bit better than my SP8's do, and as a full range mix system i might even go back to that.

The SP8's sound Great as a stand alone speaker, but i dont think they pair as well with my sub, and i've tweeked it a bit and still dont love it. They dont pair badly with it, but not as well as the 20/20's did. Maybe i need to get my hands on the Event sub and see how that pairs with the 8's.

-Ken
7th December 2007
Old 7th December 2007
Gear nut

"The music seemed to leap from the speakers as if someone was sitting on my console playing instruments. I definitly would recommend the asp8's."

YESYESYEYS....Thank you for putting it this way... It's like bad stuff sounds bad fast, good stuff sounds good................(all of a sudden) BAM! Mix is right and sounds UNREAL!

BTW new to the sight and would like to thank all the pro's for giving honest opinions of Speakers and equipment in this price range...Mad helpfull
10th June 2010
Old 10th June 2010
Gear maniac

Any feedback as to how the 20/20's compare with the TR8's? I know the ASP's are in a higher price bracket, but are the 20/20's and the tr8's comparable?
10th June 2010
Old 10th June 2010
Gear interested

I had the Events, too bright for my liking, especially for hip hop. I'd go with the JBL LSR with the 6 inch subs. They have a perfect blend to me.
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to skiroy
I have the ASP 8s and they are plague with issues. I heard about the issues but now I am having them. I did buy them used but still. One side is jacked up.PLus the ASP 8s require a further distance away from you than the 20/20 and if you have a small room weel you know the deal.

One thing about the ASP 8s is the are accurate but too much so. Someone said they sound like and exicter. TRUE. BUt it depends on what you are going for. If you are into modern sh$t then cool. But I LOVE classic vintage stuff. So I prefer to make beats with house speakers. Im not intrested in accurate. Dudes had PA speakers back in the day to make beats. If your going for modern radio .crisp ,clean joints then you may want ASP 8s. Not sayng that U cant do classic joints on ASP 8 but me personally I dont want to have to hear and think about all the 100s of details.I like imperfect grimey sh&t. I make better stuff on my house speakers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search