Best Hip Hop Vocal Presets in Logic
nars
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

Best Hip Hop Vocal Presets in Logic

Does anyone have experience recording hip hop vocals via Logic? What audio units, settings, etc. have you found to be best in replicating a rap track that sits well in a mix?
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

What are u trying to replicate ?

50 cent´s sound , Jay Z´s sound , Drake´s sound ?
It´s hard to replicate a sound if you don´t have that artist in front of you.

And settings vary from artist to artist , session to session, depending on the track , mood , adlibs , doubles etc.
So if you just learn about basic EQ ing and compression you can make those decisions by yourself.
But the Logic Compressor and EQ goes a long way and have been used in numerous professional productions.
Half the sound when recording vocals comes from the chain that´s used to record with i.e. a good preamp , a good mic , a good AD/DA.
With a good signal chain going in to Logic you really don´t need to do that much in logic after the recording is done.
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars View Post
Does anyone have experience recording hip hop vocals via Logic? What audio units, settings, etc. have you found to be best in replicating a rap track that sits well in a mix?
everyones vocal pocket is different.....

a good recording setup with some decent mixing skills should yield you some nice vocals in a mix ... if u cant mix .. learn..or pay someone

words of advice: presets will hold you back from sounding your best.
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

You left out outboard compressor and eq. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo View Post

And settings vary from artist to artist , session to session, depending on the track , mood , adlibs , doubles etc.
So if you just learn about basic EQ ing and compression you can make those decisions by yourself.
But the Logic Compressor and EQ goes a long way and have been used in numerous professional productions.
Half the sound when recording vocals comes from the chain that´s used to record with i.e. a good preamp , a good mic , a good AD/DA.
With a good signal chain going in to Logic you really don´t need to do that much in logic after the recording is done.

Sent from my DISCO10 using Gearslutz.com App
nars
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo View Post

Sorry about that. I'm using an Apogee Duet 2 and SM7B. I'm trying to replicate a cross between Kid Cudi and Drake's vocal sound. I usually record with a friend who uses a PC and Nuendo so it's difficult for him to give me advice on how to do it well with the Duet and Logic. I was simply curious if there is a good starting point I can go from and then fine tune the settings to match my vocal intonation.

Any advice with those specifications would be of great help!
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

No one knows what your voice sounds like and what the music sounds like also.
So how could anyone suggest what to do?

I would say to learn your tools and then use your ears to get to where you want to be. Its what i do and its very easy, if you learn the tools you have
nars
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Head

I understand that no one knows what my voice sounds like; that seems relatively obvious. I'm all asking for here is a starting point. Perhaps some settings that anyone finds helpful or has found helpful as a starting point and then I would tweak them to fit mine. I'm just trying to figure out how I can help the vocals assimilate into the track instead of the vocals and the track sounding disharmonious, if that makes any sort of sense.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search