Mpc vs fl studio and pro tools
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#1
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Mpc vs fl studio and pro tools

I've been using fl studio for the longest( since fl 3) and everything is great... I been stop using stock sounds and starting using external kits and sounds from my korg m50 and yamaha mm6 ... Now I want a more realistic sound than fl.... I'm considering buying a mpc for the drums and sequencing of my tracks ... I think if so I'll only need the mpc 500 since everything will be finished in pro tools 8... Any ideas or suggestions?

Ps: I got rid of my maschine.... I didn't like it but I still use the software occasionally oh and i have a mpk25
#2
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
CRACKPIPE's Avatar
 

How is FL not realistic? A sample is a sample.
#3
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DesmondA's Avatar
 

I dont quite understand what you're looking for. Realistic sounding? What do you mean?
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#4
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #4
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
I like the sounds of keyboards sounds not really as in real instruments but most fl songs has a sound you can hear a mile away even with good instrumentation, mixing and mastering


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#5
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
#6
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DesmondA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmjent View Post
I like the sounds of keyboards sounds not really as in real instruments but most fl songs has a sound you can hear a mile away even with good instrumentation, mixing and mastering


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
What???

Pmjent
Thread Starter
#7
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #7
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
I like better sounding sounds especially sounds from different racks and workstations etc...

Since I already had workstations I wanted to know if the mpc would be of better quality than fl studio


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
#8
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 

so use better sounds in FL.. the FL "sound" comes from amateur producers using stock sounds, like you said. a good producer can make the same track with the same quality in an mpc, FL or pro tools.
#9
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DesmondA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmjent View Post
I like better sounding sounds especially sounds from different racks and workstations etc...

Since I already had workstations I wanted to know if the mpc would be of better quality than fl studio


www.Facebook.com/pmjent

The only thing I can say is, try it out and see. I had an MPC 2500 and pro tools and traded it in for FL Studio. My mixing skills keep improving so I cant really say about sound quality. Personally I think u may just be searching for a sound library update. Komplete 7 is supposed to be killer.


#10
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #10
www.KevWestBeats.com
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Get a software sampler/drum machine and just sequence in Pro Tools. Sell that MPK and use the mm6 as a controller. There are lots of good drum libaries and even vsts dedicated to great real sounding drums
Hobbs_Won
#11
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #11
Hobbs_Won
Guest
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
Sell that MPK and use the mm6 as a controller.
What if he wants pads?
RTR
#12
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #12
RTR
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
 

I have all kinds of shit and still wanted an MPC since I was a kid..I finally got one and love it, made this gig a little more fun! The again I grew up on hardware..I could never get the sound out of guru or battery that I do out of my MPC..I know it is just a mental thing and most people can do the same thing with software, but I am having a lot of fun with this damn MPC and thats all that counts IMO!!
Hobbs_Won
#13
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #13
Hobbs_Won
Guest
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
but I am having a lot of fun with this damn MPC and thats all that counts IMO!!

I think this is what gets lost on a lot of people... It makes no sense to do it if you aren't having fun doing it. And if you are having fun you are probably making better music.
#14
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
mista min's Avatar
Man, I interviewed Eric Sermon the day before yesterday and I asked him what he uses and he said a sampler and logic (logic is used for sound banks). Then I asked him what he recommends up and coming producers should switch too to better their production and he basically said to go the digital route because you gotta go with what is new, if your new to the game.

So I'd say follow his advice and stay digital. I thought about switching once before, but the workflow in Reason, Logic, FL Studio (not my favorite, but some do good work on it) is in my opinion easier and faster (key thing being faster).

But I understand everybody has their tastes.

Do any of your keyboards have a sequencer? Because then you could use those to do that.

And 9th Wonder produced on FL Studio for the longest. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
#15
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
mista min's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
I think this is what gets lost on a lot of people... It makes no sense to do it if you aren't having fun doing it. And if you are having fun you are probably making better music.
+1
#16
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmjent View Post
I like the sounds of keyboards sounds not really as in real instruments but most fl songs has a sound you can hear a mile away even with good instrumentation, mixing and mastering.
I agree with you, fl does have a sound. mpc has a sound too. Is the mpc a necessary sound to have? no, but if thats the sound you prefer, then go with it. All equipment has its own "sound" to me. whether thats technically true or not, idk, but I hear a difference. I can put the same sample in fl studio that I put in an mpc and it will sound different to me. I think the mpc seems to roll off some of the high end, which gives it kind of compressed sound that makes it good for drums. whereas fl studio seems to roll of some of the low end. idk if that is really what is happening, but thats how it sounds to me.

If you can afford it and want it, get an mpc, if not, dont. Unless its a money issue, no sense in using equipment you dont like with all the options out there .
#17
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Just a suggestion here. But make some groove templates if you haven't already. I've found that the distinguishable difference in FL studio is groove/quantization that people use over and over and over again. It's the same for Reason as well, you can use different sounds other than stock but if your using the stock grooves...... And it's not just snapping notes to the grid, it's the velocities too.
Nothing wrong with having an mpc around though.
#18
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DesmondA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
I agree with you, fl does have a sound. mpc has a sound too. Is the mpc a necessary sound to have? no, but if thats the sound you prefer, then go with it. All equipment has its own "sound" to me. whether thats technically true or not, idk, but I hear a difference. I can put the same sample in fl studio that I put in an mpc and it will sound different to me. I think the mpc seems to roll off some of the high end, which gives it kind of compressed sound that makes it good for drums. whereas fl studio seems to roll of some of the low end. idk if that is really what is happening, but thats how it sounds to me.

If you can afford it and want it, get an mpc, if not, dont. Unless its a money issue, no sense in using equipment you dont like with all the options out there .
DJ TOOMP Hardware vs. Software |BLVDST.com on Vimeo
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#19
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #19
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Man, I interviewed Eric Sermon the day before yesterday and I asked him what he uses and he said a sampler and logic (logic is used for sound banks). Then I asked him what he recommends up and coming producers should switch too to better their production and he basically said to go the digital route because you gotta go with what is new, if your new to the game.

So I'd say follow his advice and stay digital. I thought about switching once before, but the workflow in Reason, Logic, FL Studio (not my favorite, but some do good work on it) is in my opinion easier and faster (key thing being faster).

But I understand everybody has their tastes.

Do any of your keyboards have a sequencer? Because then you could use those to do that.

And 9th Wonder produced on FL Studio for the longest. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Yes both keyboards have sequencers but the m50 sequencer is Alot better than the yamaha mm6 ... That's one of my arguments against the mpc ... I'm ok with drums on the keyboard but that's not my best


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
#20
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 

#21
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 

The game has definitely changed more to software. I have an mpc2000 xl studio w/ a card reader that I have been trying to unload for months and none of the usual producers I know are using them anymore.
#22
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
mista min's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmjent View Post
Yes both keyboards have sequencers but the m50 sequencer is Alot better than the yamaha mm6 ... That's one of my arguments against the mpc ... I'm ok with drums on the keyboard but that's not my best


Producer Money Jones | Facebook
Does the keyboard sample? If so, can you load your drum samples into it? Personally, I prefer software, like Battery 3 with a good sampler, like EXS24, but that's just me.
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#23
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #23
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Does the keyboard sample? If so, can you load your drum samples into it? Personally, I prefer software, like Battery 3 with a good sampler, like EXS24, but that's just me.
No they don't sample


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
#24
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
mista min's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmjent View Post
No they don't sample


Producer Money Jones | Facebook
Well, I listened to some of your beats and I will say that it doesn't have that "professional" kind of sound. They don't sound polished. Honestly, I think that's from not knowing enough on how to make your drums knock or you aren't using studio monitors or your room is really hurting your mixes.

Your drum balance isn't so strong. Don't take offense to this, I've been making beats for a long time and finally, now I am getting the hang of the sound I exactly want to achieve. And I can tell you that any piece of software and hardware can get you there, but you need to know how.

I don't know what advice to give you except that your drums aren't phat in the right way. More bloated and sluggish than boom bapin', somewhat boxy perhaps and that brings your beats down. Perhaps this helps, perhaps it doesn't. A great plugin in is Decimort, just incase you wanna peep that ol'skool phat sound in an affordable way.

Also, peep some of the tape emulations out to make it extra bumpin' (may help may not). My favorites are the DUY Tape, but now I'm using the Waves Kramer MPX... that thing is PHAT!!!! Makes everything way more life like
#25
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #25
Gear maniac
 

Have you tried Ableton?

I have two workarounds. Mpc60II with external synths (korg, roland), also controllng and sequencing reaper, the host for rob papen vst's (predator, subboombass and punch). The other one is solely ableton, i'm making more beats with it right now... although some days I feel the straight forward arranging with mpc more. Maybe you could grab an mpc and if you don't feel it sell it for little less.


Peace
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#26
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #26
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeek View Post
Have you tried Ableton?

I have two workarounds. Mpc60II with external synths (korg, roland), also controllng and sequencing reaper, the host for rob papen vst's (predator, subboombass and punch). The other one is solely ableton, i'm making more beats with it right now... although some days I feel the straight forward arranging with mpc more. Maybe you could grab an mpc and if you don't feel it sell it for little less.


Peace
I think thats what ima do and I hated ableton


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
Pmjent
Thread Starter
#27
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #27
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Well, I listened to some of your beats and I will say that it doesn't have that "professional" kind of sound. They don't sound polished. Honestly, I think that's from not knowing enough on how to make your drums knock or you aren't using studio monitors or your room is really hurting your mixes.

Your drum balance isn't so strong. Don't take offense to this, I've been making beats for a long time and finally, now I am getting the hang of the sound I exactly want to achieve. And I can tell you that any piece of software and hardware can get you there, but you need to know how.

I don't know what advice to give you except that your drums aren't phat in the right way. More bloated and sluggish than boom bapin', somewhat boxy perhaps and that brings your beats down. Perhaps this helps, perhaps it doesn't. A great plugin in is Decimort, just incase you wanna peep that ol'skool phat sound in an affordable way.

Also, peep some of the tape emulations out to make it extra bumpin' (may help may not). My favorites are the DUY Tape, but now I'm using the Waves Kramer MPX... that thing is PHAT!!!! Makes everything way more life like
Yea and that's why I was considering a mpc for the drums


www.Facebook.com/pmjent
#28
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
CRACKPIPE's Avatar
 

#29
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #29
www.KevWestBeats.com
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
What if he wants pads?
They have pad controllers for as cheap as $40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I have all kinds of shit and still wanted an MPC since I was a kid..I finally got one and love it, made this gig a little more fun! The again I grew up on hardware..I could never get the sound out of guru or battery that I do out of my MPC..I know it is just a mental thing and most people can do the same thing with software, but I am having a lot of fun with this damn MPC and thats all that counts IMO!!
Mpcs are awesome but I don't think in his case they will do much good since he's only using it as a sound module. For what it sounds like he wants to do software samplers would do a better job. Honestly a tool like FL Live Logic or Reason with the right controller would match what he has not plus be more expandable out the box. I love hardware but I don't see much reason to use it anymore besides maybe workflow unless you have an analog synth
#30
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #30
Gear maniac
PMJ... I think your kind of mixing up your thoughts and are unclear with what your talking about.

To get a better Idea on things, the MPC is just a sampler.. you know that right? What people love about the MPC the most is probably the workflow for it. Old school producers grew up on it therefor they're use to using that and would rather use an MPC than using software.

Of course the fact that its hardware with analog outputs instead of keeping it ITB is something people love too. That is both old and new school but we all know analog always has that analog sound.

As far as beefing up your production and getting things to sound big, Its a matter of you perfecting your craft. You can use any type of software or hardware just stick to it and know the ins and out of that piece of gear. Great producers are great because they have practiced for many many many many years and perfected it. I owned a MPC2000XL for years and finally sold it just because I mastered Logic.

The best things about any DAW is its ease of use, and how convenient it is. I can take a laptop and a hard drive with me anywhere in the world with a nice set of headphones and make quality productions. I can also use an MPC and some Synth/Workstations, and sound modules to do the same thing but its just harder to carry all them huge pieces of gear to studios or on the plane or wherever you go.

Stick to one system and perfect it.

hope this helps...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rhythmic5 / Music Computers
2
ForeverYoung / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
23
d.dot / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
0
Twisted_hate / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.