Login / Register

Male Rap Vocals... Which mic do I choose???
New Reply
Subscribe
nashjames24
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
But you need to understand that Wiz Khalifa sounds like Wiz Khalifa too. You aren't him and don't sound like him.
Yes I understand that completely guy and I also know that Wiz Khalifa didn't use the AKG 414 on that song and i also know that mic's are diff. on different voices but unfortunately with me not having loads of money I can only provide myself and others that record here with one mic whether I keep my AKG or go with another ill still only have one.... and I have had a couple guys record here at my studio and sound alot like Wiz to the point where I had to turn around and make sure he wasn't in my booth and even there vocals are really bright and aggressive and added all the other people I have recorded which wasn't always bad but would prefer something not so bright... So i say thats just the way the mic is "Bright"... Now with that being said I haven't tried the other mics that I could trade for... they maybe worse i'm not sure that's why i'm on here asking and trying to get info onto what people think about the AKG, Kiwi , & 251 so.... point is ima only have one Mic regardless so since I have some options available to me is one of these other mics better than the AKG for what i am doing??? U know what my voice sounds like now so....
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

It seems like you have a response that contradicts everyone's suggestions. Just because someone gives you an answer that you don't wanna hear doesn't mean that it's incorrect. Are you really asking for advice here or not?

Your vocals sound great on that song that you posted. I wouldn't switch up anything if I were you. But since you're obviously gonna do what you want regardless of suggestions, why don't you just rent some mics and test them out with your setup?

If you really want a U87 or C800G, then you should just rock with the AKG until you have the dough for one. Even if you upgrade the AKG, you'll still eventually want one of the others.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to dynamike
I record about 90% hip hop 3-5 nights a week. I have U87 which sounds great on some voices. I actually use my SM7b quite a bit though. It's a handy mic to have around or rap vox.

The U87 is sometimes SO brittle sounding that it actually hurts my ears after a long night. It's also extremely sibilant. I have to have it tilted a bit, a pop filter, and often have the talent back a ft or 2 from the mic.

The SM7 sounds pretty good no matter what, unless you're not rocking directly straight in to it.

I've been eyeing up a Kiwi or something else too, tho a Mac Pro and PT9 will be first.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike View Post
I record about 90% hip hop 3-5 nights a week. I have U87 which sounds great on some voices. I actually use my SM7b quite a bit though. It's a handy mic to have around or rap vox.

The U87 is sometimes SO brittle sounding that it actually hurts my ears after a long night. It's also extremely sibilant. I have to have it tilted a bit, a pop filter, and often have the talent back a ft or 2 from the mic.

The SM7 sounds pretty good no matter what, unless you're not rocking directly straight in to it.

I've been eyeing up a Kiwi or something else too, tho a Mac Pro and PT9 will be first.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
i agree with this. i use a u87 for MOST sessions, there are still sessions where i use my RE20 (on male rapping vocals).

SM7 is the same thing.

edit: kiwi is pretty sexy.
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashjames24 View Post
Yes I understand that completely guy and I also know that Wiz Khalifa didn't use the AKG 414 on that song and i also know that mic's are diff. on different voices but unfortunately with me not having loads of money I can only provide myself and others that record here with one mic whether I keep my AKG or go with another ill still only have one.... and I have had a couple guys record here at my studio and sound alot like Wiz to the point where I had to turn around and make sure he wasn't in my booth and even there vocals are really bright and aggressive and added all the other people I have recorded which wasn't always bad but would prefer something not so bright... So i say thats just the way the mic is "Bright"... Now with that being said I haven't tried the other mics that I could trade for... they maybe worse i'm not sure that's why i'm on here asking and trying to get info onto what people think about the AKG, Kiwi , & 251 so.... point is ima only have one Mic regardless so since I have some options available to me is one of these other mics better than the AKG for what i am doing??? U know what my voice sounds like now so....
Go to a store and try out a bunch of mics, or buy/sell/buy/sell until you are happy. Why would anyone want to sound like someone else anyway? Who cares what he uses? What if he did use a 414?
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear nut

I think the real question here is...do you really have a ferrari and a drop top range??...like serious...A drop top range???...if so,then why cant you afford whatever mic you want? and if not whats the point of rappin bout it like you do?....I'll never get it.
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.head View Post
I think the real question here is...do you really have a ferrari and a drop top range??...like serious...A drop top range???...if so,then why cant you afford whatever mic you want? and if not whats the point of rappin bout it like you do?....I'll never get it.
He has a Ferrari with a drop top range? lol yeah right! He's gonna have to start with the mic lol.
16th May 2011
Old 16th May 2011
Gear interested

Personally, I use a Sterling Audio ST-55 Condensor Mic for Male Rap Vocals. It costs all of $250 dollars and sounds great in the mid-low range. Definitely adds a bit of boom to your voice, gives you a powerful sound. Have to be careful with transients though. Besides that, requires very little EQ. Just about perfect for rap vocals, believe it or not.
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.head View Post
Haha! For real though.

On another note, those vocals were solid as hell, quality-wise. Not saying you shouldn't be looking for another mic, but you sounded on point. I'm also assuming that on a mellow track, you'd mellow your tone of voice, your style might adjust accordingly, etc. So, the mic you have might still be useful. Having it mixed differently would be an idea as well. A new mic wasn't the only possible solution to the perceived problem.

Hope you figured it out though brotha. Peace.
"I can tell you what's gonna happen when you patch it in for the first time and squeeze your voice into submission: you're gonna cuss, then a split second later you're gonna laugh. A few seconds after that, you'll wonder out loud wtf took you so long. Then you'll get back to it, and within days you will begin to think about which compressor to get next, and how long it'll take to scrounge up another $1500" - UBK
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search