What is the best CHEAP drum machine
Old 4th May 2011
restpause

What is the best CHEAP drum machine. I'm talking about in the $300 and under range NOT HIGHER. Even better if it's in the 100 to 200 dollar range.

So let me know what you think, drum machines past or present.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Head

I'd dare to say Fl studio or reason with a Midi controller like the mpd from akai.

Buying a hardware unit at that price point doesn't give you the flexibility and additional options.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Click track, drum samples, & sound replacer or tab to transient/paste(free)
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

I'd just use software even if I had a few k to spend. I've got an mv8800 and it just collects dust. lol. Seriously though, top producers are going strictly to software because you can do everything that a drum machine can do and more. And especially with only $300 to spend you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you get some software to help you make beats. What DAW do you use?
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dugan View Post
I'd dare to say Fl studio or reason with a Midi controller like the mpd from akai.
exactly what I was gonna say
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

If you want software and dont need a sampler, I'd look at the abbey roads kits, only $119, and you can shape their high quality samples any way you want.
Old 4th May 2011
www.KevWestBeats.com

asr x or mpc 2000 non xl sp 303 and sometimes u can find the red and blue mpc 1000s in that range
Old 4th May 2011
www.KevWestBeats.com

Quote:

Buying a hardware unit at that price point doesn't give you the flexibility and additional options.
Reason and fruity loops cost $300 alone before adding a controller
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Head

Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Is good to see the tendency of analog synthesizers and processors digitally controlled back again. When the integration of this with software get mature age, we will be in a whole new music production world. This is unquestionably, the future.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe a Roland/Boss SP-303. Madlib used one.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

but it can give you SOUND.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear nut

MPD 26. MPD 32 with maybe 2 less sliders. It's less known than 24 and better.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear addict

sp303 or sp404 = around $200

They will get the job done if you sit down and try to master those things.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
but it can give you SOUND.

True but thats under the assumption that the op has a DAW or multitrack hard disc recorder.

Sure the sounds that come stock with FL or Reason aren't ground breaking or anything new but the additional options such as the fx/vst can help with creating new sounds.

Not to mention the plethora of free vst's that can be found on KVR alone. I bet you could also probably find a lot the drums on most hardware units at that price point for free online.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Novation drumstation ( 100 euros here in europe ) : All those tr 808 and tr 909 sounds ...look to classifieds ; u got lots of machines not so expensives that will do the job ( roland mc 303 ...)
so in the 150 / 200 dollars u can find drum machines ...

Peace

mordicus
Old 5th May 2011
Gear addict

If you can find a used MFB 522, I'd go for it. I love mine and it was $360 brand new direct from MFB, used it should be in your price range. Analog sounds, and it's massive for such a little box. Yeah, the pots are f'ing trim pots (not really rated for this sort of use but mine have held up so far) but it kept size/cost down It's like an 808's MiniMe.

The Monotribe will get you a bassline to go with three (albeit untweakable) drum sounds, though.
Old 5th May 2011
Gear addict

Can't go wrong with the SR-16. Classic + Simple
DR- 550 (Rythm Machine) Gives you drums + 3 tracks of instrument sounds.
What do you need it for? sequencing drums? Sound Module? Midi Compatability?
Zoom 234 Has great sounds and a bass track(kinda) but limited Midi Compatability...
That's the main problem with the SP303. The sequencer is ****ed and it has VERY limited Midi.
Electribe?
MPC500...
R8
DR110
Old 12th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
Can't go wrong with the SR-16. Classic + Simple
DR- 550 (Rythm Machine) Gives you drums + 3 tracks of instrument sounds.
What do you need it for? sequencing drums? Sound Module? Midi Compatability?
Zoom 234 Has great sounds and a bass track(kinda) but limited Midi Compatability...
That's the main problem with the SP303. The sequencer is ****ed and it has VERY limited Midi.
Electribe?
MPC500...
R8
DR110

I own a SR-16 and I absolutely love it +1
Old 12th May 2011
restpause

I found a good website that had SR-16 drum sounds and most of the sounds were really boring and/or dated to my ears.

It was an eye-opening experience.

I checked up on some other drum machines and decided to go back to software samplers even though the workflow is very different.

Thanks to everyone on here who responded. All the input helped.
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

MPC500? 1000?

If you wait a year or two... Maschine
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

an mpc500 is great for use with a daw. but I think it's not good for the classical brain of the studio style mpc use. you need at least an 1000 for that imo.
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Old 12th May 2011
Gear addict

fxpansion GEIST
Old 12th May 2011
Gear maniac

Mpc500, or if your wanting something with a more vintage type vibe the Zoom Sampletrak.
I'd imagine a sp505 would be pretty good too.
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Head

Korg Electribe ES1 or SX would work for hardware. Akai MPC 500 may be another option.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear interested
DR-660

I have a Boss DR-660 and I love the thing. Only paid $100.
Old 17th February 2014
Get a used Maschine MK2 or the small one new. You can use it as a midi controller or standalone and it gives you much more value than just an ordinary midi controller + reason.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search