Getting that Old Analog Mixer Sound ???
New Reply
Subscribe
Castro_Bigdog
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear addict

Getting that Old Analog Mixer Sound ???

I reamp a lot of things through my channel strips but I do remember that back in the day I used to like to reamp kicks and snares through a old mixer I had saying around... do some of you guys still do that???

There is something that the bored adds to sound that just gives it that airy feeling that I am missing in my mix.... I want to bring that back... Im really thinking of buying a little mixer just for that sound...

anyone have some ideas of a good mixer I can pick up to get me that sound???

Thanks Friends.....

Shure SM7b, JJ Audio Husky, Custom MK 219, UA LA-610, PreSonus Studio Channel, M-Audio ProFire 2626, MPK 61, MPD 32, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, B-Control... And So Much More thumbsup

Free Downloads.... Enjoy :-)

http://fbipro.bandcamp.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJargw3beU
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear nut

This is the only "little mixer" I would get.
Solid State Logic X-Desk | Sweetwater.com

What I used to do a lot was after the vocals were edited, I would track them to 2" tape, then back into pro tools. But that was usually just vocals, I still do it from time to time, sometimes if it's a kick, I'll just record one hit, and then I'll sample that (to save tape) lol.
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Reamping is is taking a prerecorded sound, running thru an amp or speaker system and mic'ing that. What you are talking about is just running a sound thru a board or maybe an insert. But would only do such with a neve 80 series or such. It seems like you wanna use a analog console for mixing...
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dualflip Send a message via Skype™ to dualflip
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to illacov Send a message via Yahoo to illacov
Look up user weldroid on here.

Nevermind here's some Gearslutz links

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...hesia-vst.html

and you can find the updated plugin here on a sweet thread

Help me to emulate YOUR console!

His Synesthasia plugin gives you that sound and then some. I know I helped make some of the saturation curves for it through my old gear here. (Altec, Dukane, BAE 1073, Yamaha PM700) it definitely gives a nice set of mojo to the audio you pass through the plug in, it offers a very nice cumulative effect.

Be careful though it a BAM kind of plugin, not subtle at all. Which I why I love it.

I'm also curious to check out Satson VST when its released.

Peace
Illumination

JJ Audio Mic on Facebook!
**JJ Audio Custom Mics and Mods!!**

JJ Audio Mics Email (Langston/Sales and Customer Support)

Artists recently recorded with JJ Audio Mics:
The Goonies (Hip Hop/Experimental)(My Band)
Ronnie Spector, Baby Bash, Paula DeAnda, Z-Ro, Slim Thug and the list continues to grow...

http://soundcloud.com/illacov/jj-cd-vo-demo
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Im sorry but thats not even close to the old analog mixer sound
I've never used it, but it's SSL. I've only used their AWS 948 (which sounds amazing!)
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Guru

SSL products are great and all, but i don't think thats what the OP is looking for in terms of sound.

castro, how many channels are you looking for?
Castro_Bigdog
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
SSL products are great and all, but i don't think thats what the OP is looking for in terms of sound.

castro, how many channels are you looking for?
I dont need many at all.... maybe 8... There is a sound that some mixers Ive used in the day that I miss now... along with the head room and realness of it there is also that air... tape like sound... I cant put my fingure on it but its something Im missing...

Im going to do some reading to see what I can find on line about the Mixer Sound... sorry if Im being a little out there LOL
Deleted #29527
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Deleted #29527

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

His Synesthasia plugin gives you that sound and then some. I know I helped make some of the saturation curves for it through my old gear here. (Altec, Dukane, BAE 1073, Yamaha PM700) it definitely gives a nice set of mojo to the audio you pass through the plug in, it offers a very nice cumulative effect.

Be careful though it a BAM kind of plugin, not subtle at all. Which I why I love it.

Peace
Illumination
Thanks for the info on Synethasia! That plugin looks and sounds very interesting to say the least. Is there a version for Mac OSX available?
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like you want a summing box mate.

Analog summing boxes for professional audio mixing with digital and analog audio summing boxes mixguides consoles

I use an early 80's A&H 16/8. I have 10 channels of Hardware (synth, workstation, gat, mpc) running through it into the DAW and have 6 channels reserved for summing stems from the DAW mix then sending it back.

It sounds great but takes up a hell of a lot of studio real estate which has me thinking about alternatives.

Illacov. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking at that for sure.
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
I dont need many at all.... maybe 8... There is a sound that some mixers Ive used in the day that I miss now... along with the head room and realness of it there is also that air... tape like sound... I cant put my fingure on it but its something Im missing...

Im going to do some reading to see what I can find on line about the Mixer Sound... sorry if Im being a little out there LOL

Its definitely not out there. Its pretty common.

The thing is, there is a ton of different ways to accomplish your goal. There are digital options like Analog Channel or Phoenix or others.

There are also summing boxes. Basically a bunch of inputs summing to some stereo outs. Some have inserts, but no EQ or anything built in. Some are more colored than others.

Then theres consoles. There's a ton of old cheap mixers or modular situations you can get into.
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011

Define the mythical "Old Analog Mixer Sound", and maybe someone could make a suggestion... There is no standard "Old Analog Mixer Sound".

In fact, people are typically asking for that "Old Analog TAPE MACHINE Sound", but they think it's the console sprinkling the magic fairy dust.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Head

I hope no one is saying a plugin will ever have that old analog feel. It is what it is, because of what it is. Real!!!! In the end analog rules, in the end digital is only trying to replicate analog.
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydelta1 View Post
Tony's right. Listen to him he's an expert. The "sound" you are looking for comes from the op amps, transformers, tubes, summing bus, or tape compression. This is more better described as a "vintage" or "analog thick" sound i guess.

If you have a good channel strip you are "reamping" with you're fine. Unless you're gonna run it through a damn neve board.

Thanks Guys, Yes I do think its a little of that Tape Compression Im talking about... or Analog Thick...

I do do a lot of reamping with my channel strips within my mix, Kicks, Snares, Bass and so on...

But my overall mix is missing that something something that I loved about older Hip Hop and Older 80s Rock...

maybe it is the transformers I need or maybe its true tape...????
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

Here is a ruff draft of a track Im working on... maybe you can Hear what Im talking about.... Thanks again guys....

Attached Files
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

by the way, the New Mic is sounding great... I dont need to do much EQing at all ..... Real Great Sound.... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

Peace
Illumination
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydelta1 View Post
immediately after 5 secs i can tell your track lacks harmonic distortion, also known as overtones.

You need to get a piece of gear that adds 2nd and or 4th order distortion.
Empirical Labs Distressor. Period.

Or the Fatso...
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Empirical Labs Distressor. Period.

Or the Fatso...
Thats what a buddy has been telling me to get.... Distressor ...

what price range am I looking at ???
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

My Price range is any where from 1000 to 1500
Castro_Bigdog
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
ELI8XM... what you guys think of this one
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to illacov Send a message via Yahoo to illacov
Gimme a call for some inside info

Peace
Illumination
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
EL is gonna be about 1000 out of your price range if you buy it new but I've seen some great used deals on both units.

Ubk Fatso (Ubk's mod of the EL Fatso) is about 100-200 bucks more than the original Fatso and is also worth checking out IF your budged grows about a grand.

DOWNLOAD LATEST SONG AT
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/he...le/id833822591

ANDROID
https://play.google.com/store/music/...f5j6rxzq4i554i

SOUND CLOUD
https://soundcloud.com/trell-blaze

------------------------------------------------
Trell Blaze Music
------------------------------------------------
email: coopdevillian@gmail.com
2nd May 2011
Old 2nd May 2011
Pragmatic Snob

Tascam m30, teac model 5, anything by ward beck, early 80's yamaha, sound workshop, soundcraft 200 or 600... tons of options.

I know exactly what you mean, even dirty little consoles like the ones above give the sound some texture, character, grain, grit, distortion, dirt. Call it what you like, it all amounts to personality, something sound has verrry little of if you simply go from a mic pre to an a/d converter.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Guru

For that price range, I'd look at getting some of the stuff ubk mentioned. Old reel to reel or cheap console. That will give you multiple channels whereas the distressor will only give you one.
Castro_Bigdog
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

Thanks so Much for all your help guys.... Mixer it will Be then ...
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

The TEAC Model 5 is really good.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Listening to the mp3 I'm not necessarily convinced it's some magic oldsckool hardware mojo that's missing, but rather, your approach to mixing and how you mix. A lot of people look to a piece of gear to solve an issue they are having only to have the same problem after they get the magic box. I think your problem is perhaps more about how you are EQing and balancing. Just my opinion.

If you want to start with something that's free, check out Bootsy's Ferric TDS (I think that's what it's called). I never use it on hip-hop mixes, but I sometimes use it on the stereo buss on rock mixes and it's really freakin' amazing. Just used it on a record that has done incredibly well on radio (#1 @ radio in the band's country).

If you want to go with a litlte mixer, be aware that there's no universal little mixer sound so if you had one that was the magic bullet, just go find that same exact one and use it.

I might also recommend tracking your gear through your channel strips so you get some of the sound going in.

Also, what are your tracking levels? If you are printing tracks at -3dBFS, then that's not helping.

Etc. etc. etc.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
Castro_Bigdog
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Listening to the mp3 I'm not necessarily convinced it's some magic oldsckool hardware mojo that's missing, but rather, your approach to mixing and how you mix. A lot of people look to a piece of gear to solve an issue they are having only to have the same problem after they get the magic box. I think your problem is perhaps more about how you are EQing and balancing. Just my opinion.

If you want to start with something that's free, check out Bootsy's Ferric TDS (I think that's what it's called). I never use it on hip-hop mixes, but I sometimes use it on the stereo buss on rock mixes and it's really freakin' amazing. Just used it on a record that has done incredibly well on radio (#1 @ radio in the band's country).

If you want to go with a litlte mixer, be aware that there's no universal little mixer sound so if you had one that was the magic bullet, just go find that same exact one and use it.

I might also recommend tracking your gear through your channel strips so you get some of the sound going in.

Also, what are your tracking levels? If you are printing tracks at -3dBFS, then that's not helping.

Etc. etc. etc.

I do retrack a lot of my sounds through my channel strips and it does help a little bit... the track I posted here is not a good track to hear my good mixes but it was more of a idea of the sound or should I say feel Im missing...

Im going to check out some music shops today to get a idea of what Im going to do....

I went back on some of my way older beats when I used to run my MO6 through a Mixing Bored into the DAW and Yes it must be the mixing bored because they sounded better to me.... smoother.... warmer.... not as bla lol...

It seems to me that the sound I love and enjoy is more of a tape smoothness or analog smoothness.... maybe its just me ....
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Guru

i'd avoid the music stores and get something old, gritty, grimey. all the new smaller consoles are pretty boring.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search