Best KRK studio monitors for mixing?
New Reply
Subscribe
Trilla Gee
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear interested

Alright guys, I need your advice on which monitors I should choose. This is what I have to choose from:

Studio Monitors | Best Buy

The reason I am buying my monitors from best buy is because I work there part time and have a employee discount. Obviously I cannot afford the Expose 8, at $2,499 a piece but what do you think out of that small selection is the best monitor for the price. This is for a starting studio but I will pay for the quality. I dont wanna buy something that I will swap out a few months from now you know?

Let me know what you think or if buying them from my work is just a bad idea in general.

Thanks
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

for mixing.. it would be the vx4's hands down for me. the smaller woofers tend to be more accurate and these have had very favorable reviews. So many peeps go for as much boom for buck without realizing this may only be hurting their cause. ANother plus is that smaller speakers and lower volumes in particular can offset the need for room treatment considerably.

I would maybe use those for critical mix decisions and back them up with a decent Hifi system with subz and a good set of headphones. Should be cheap and effective.
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilla Gee View Post
Alright guys, I need your advice on which monitors I should choose. This is what I have to choose from:

Studio Monitors | Best Buy

The reason I am buying my monitors from best buy is because I work there part time and have a employee discount. Obviously I cannot afford the Expose 8, at $2,499 a piece but what do you think out of that small selection is the best monitor for the price. This is for a starting studio but I will pay for the quality. I dont wanna buy something that I will swap out a few months from now you know?

Let me know what you think or if buying them from my work is just a bad idea in general.

Thanks

How big is your room?

The Expose 8s are for a medium sized control room with ascoustic treatment and proper placement in the room. Buying them won't make you sound good with a few things.
Planet Mars Beats

Email me if you interested in my services

Check out the track below.

http://soundcloud.com/planetmarsbeats/122811-save-the-world-revised
Trilla Gee
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear interested

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

Its actually my bedroom in my apartment for now, so I would consider it small. Its not acoustically treated as of yet so keep that in mind. And as far as bass, after I made this purchase I could always buy the Active Powered external sub woofer if it was necessary. What do you think?

I'm going to check out the VXT4's and they are definitely in my price range, but i am open for any other suggestions

Thank you
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

this thread would imply that you should buy KRK's in the first place, which i just cant support
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
this thread would imply that you should buy KRK's in the first place, which i just cant support
+1!
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to DIGI ENT
Quote:
Alright guys, I need your advice on which monitors I should choose.
None
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

I use a pair of KRK V6g2s and I'm fairly sure they suck ass for the most part. It doesn't help that my room is horrible, but two pair of a friends monitors (Behringer Truth and Adam A7) sounded somewhat and far and away (respectively) better than them in the same shitty room.

Edit: its bad enough that sometimes I can get better mixes out of headphones than with these things, which is pretty pitiful. For some reason I keep spending money on everything other than monitors

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

"IMO VST's cannot also be VA's." --- dankelly

"We are gentle and dont point with the finger at it.. one in a while.. no big deal..
And the kids can use them all the time.. no problem.. in the kindergarden.. not on the street of cause..
" --- 3phase
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
cork sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I use a pair of KRK V6g2s and I'm fairly sure they suck ass for the most part. It doesn't help that my room is horrible, but two pair of a friends monitors (Behringer Truth and Adam A7) sounded somewhat and far and away (respectively) better than them in the same shitty room.

Edit: its bad enough that sometimes I can get better mixes out of headphones than with these things, which is pretty pitiful. For some reason I keep spending money on everything other than monitors

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Kind of my experience with them too. I sold mine, and got a pair of series 1 V8's...and was like "wow". I really liked them...sold 'em to downsize (went with Yamaha MSP7's). I dig the Yamaha's too, but the V8's had something special.

The VXT line is not half-bad. They have the KRK "sound" if you will, but have much better resolution than any of the Rockit's. They'd be worth checking out, but since the original company was sold their cust service/reliability have been fairly poor to reccomend buying new.
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear interested

Okay well if you all say none then what are some suggestions for the price range of about $300.00 per monitor? Brands, models, anything
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Okay well if you all say none then what are some suggestions for the price range of about $300.00 per monitor? Brands, models, anything
Look at Yamaha hs80's or Adams a7's . They may be a little more, but they're worth the money!
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear nut

I use my A7s at home and use RP8s at the studio I work at. The KRKs work to mix on since I am familiar with them, but they seem quite a bit more fuzzy/unfocused in the lows and low mids. The A7s seem more clear. Of course that is only one KRK model. Your ears/room/mind may tell you otherwise. I've heard good things about the VXTs. Try and go somewhere to test different models out and see what sounds good to you.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear maniac

I know people that like their KRK's...I don't think they're really THAT bad. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the first Promatic album was mixed on a pair of Rock-Its. But then again you have to get used to the sound of everything you have (room, monitor characteristics) you definitely wouldn't be a fish out of water if you had some KRK's that you learned to listen to and don't have tons of money to spend. If you can afford to not bite the bullet, sure aim higher. Cheaper monitors just means learning your monitors a bit and maybe going back and fourth to adjust mixes during the test period a little more than you'd like, if your ears a are bit more keen..maybe not at all. Buy some detailed headphones you'd trust to check some things on too, that's the best low-cost route you can go unless you would want to test your luck used.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasT View Post
I know people that like their KRK's...I don't think they're really THAT bad.
They're not that bad. For a hi-fi consumer speaker

Buy Dynaudios or Focals.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

gotdamn...folks buying they music equipment from Best Buy now...

i'm behind in times
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear nut

6 inch woofers

Get monitors with at least 6 inch woofers. Anything less than that will make it difficult to judge the level of bass frequencies in the mix, especially for a beginner. If you're new to this whole mixing/production thing, I'd start with something simple and to the point. The KRK's will suit you fine. Also check out Event. If you're new to this stuff you won't really know the difference between $1200 dynaudio's or $300 KRK's. The key to monitors is learning how to use whatever pair of speakers you get and using them to teach you about room acoustics and mixing audio. Plus your monitors are only going to be as good as the audio chain of your cables, mixer and AD/DA convertors. If this stuff is all new than don't go out and blow a wad on a fancy set of speakers. Get something simple on your employee discount and learn them inside and out.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Rockit 8s w sub. Good cheap disposable speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Best KRK studio monitors for mixing?-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to DIGI ENT
Quote:
Look for some pre owned Dynaudio or Adams. My BM5A's will be up for sale soon so I can upgrade to some 8's

Originally Posted by vanpet
"it has nothing to do with laziness, it's fear of failing (or fear of succes, if you're good).
procrastination is not really laziness, it's more like a vicious disease you don't want because it will turn you into a zombie."
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear addict

Krk V4 best little monitors for translation to the real world and for overall balance... I also like what they show me about the BD / Bass relation thumbsup
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Don't let the haters turn you away. KRK may not be the final word in ultra-transparent monitoring, but they are good value for money and translate reasonably well.

People try speakers like these in their untreated bedroom and then say they suck.

Z's hub
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

i would save your money and treat your room. in the interim you could pick up the krk headphones—the 6400's are dirt cheap ($100) and great for the cost, and in your situation will give you a more accurate frequency response than the monitors in an untreated room. i'm just kind of assuming since your best buy stocks their speakers that they ought to have the headphones.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
Krk V4 best little monitors for translation to the real world and for overall balance... I also like what they show me about the BD / Bass relation thumbsup
First or second generation? I would like to get 'em. Correct me if i'm going to wrong they are also the last ones manufactured in California?
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear nut

Ive used a bunch of KRKs before and a whole bunch of other ones. It also depends on how well your room sounds and your quality of mixing and knowledge of mixing.

I personally love the Yamaha HS series both 80s and 50s. Nice clarity and flat sound overall. If you do decide to get the HS50's then plan on getting the matching sub later. With $300 per monitor though you can just get you a set of used NS10M's and a decent amp to push it. Gotta love them every pro studio has a set of them... why not use what the pros use?

KRKs are good for listening for fun, getting that boom out, and getting in that zone when producing music. A lot of bedroom producers use em' I don't like them at all.

blog.dj2x.com
email.info@dj2x.com
26th April 2011
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

KRK RP5's are great for listening to music. They sucked for me for mixing. I know some people liked the original V8's but nothing else with KRK. I am actually interested in the VXT 4's as a secondary, well, they would be my 3rd but I they are cheaper than what I want as secondaries. I still would buy them used so if I hated them, I would sell them.

Sorry, I am just not a big fan of KRK. They sound great and they don't translate so you think you are moving forward but you are moving backwards. I have extensive experience with RP's but I have also used v6's and had the same effect, though more detailed.

I can say that my brother loves my old KRK's for listening and I may buy another pair for regular speakers. They sound great for just listening.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Head

I would get Yamaha's before KRK's as generally speaking, as they are flatter. But if the room is not treated, then all of this has little meaning. I don't recommend mixing on headphones, but in this case I would opt for a good pair of headphones instead of monitors at this price point.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
cork sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
KRK RP5's are great for listening to music. They sucked for me for mixing. I know some people liked the original V8's but nothing else with KRK. I am actually interested in the VXT 4's as a secondary, well, they would be my 3rd but I they are cheaper than what I want as secondaries. I still would buy them used so if I hated them, I would sell them.

Sorry, I am just not a big fan of KRK. They sound great and they don't translate so you think you are moving forward but you are moving backwards. I have extensive experience with RP's but I have also used v6's and had the same effect, though more detailed.

I can say that my brother loves my old KRK's for listening and I may buy another pair for regular speakers. They sound great for just listening.
I had some VXT4's for a lil bit...they are...hrm, ok.

Kind of a big push from 100-200hz that's to make them sound bigger I guess. They were detailed, but a bit muddy. I also had problems with the internal amps on both. The gain adjusters are super-chinzy, and break off easily. For a second reference, IMHO the 6 model would be better...just get a good warranty with them.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
First or second generation? I would like to get 'em. Correct me if i'm going to wrong they are also the last ones manufactured in California?
Mk II
Trilla Gee
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gear interested

5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear

Didn't read the whole thread so somebody might have already recommended these.
The older KRK V8's rock and are hard to find because people keep em (because they're awesome) and they're discontinued. The newer models, vxt8's, are 2-3 times more
Check eBay regularly. Yamaha hs-80's would be in the same class. You can find a good deal on those on eBay as well. Got mine for $350 for the pair and they rock!
Keep in mind an 8" monitor will generally allow you to hear more frequencies, mainly low frequencies than say a 5" monitor. KRK v8's and yamaha hs80ms are the best buy for the money and are used in a lot of home and some big production studios. They were intended to replace the famous ns-10's which yamaha discontinued a while back because the paper to make the cones for the ns10's supposively wasn't available and/or the price for it was extremely high.
Another thing, you don't necessarily want a monitor that sounds "good".
You want something flat and transparent so that your mixes translate well to all systems. A treated room is a definite plus and should be considered. At least some bass traps if at all possible.

Behringer truths aren't bad to start out with.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search