How do I mix without monitors?
Old 29th March 2011
Gear interested

How do I mix without monitors?

Hello there! I have been wondering over last few days how do I get a quality mix without the use of monitors. I have been using my gut, but need facts when it comes to mixing on cpu speakers (BTW I use Logitech X-70s 5.1 in stereo).

here's an example...(Used FL with stock sounds excluding drums.) sorry 4 mp3 format

ENJOY!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Im Serious (instrumental).mp3 (5.13 MB, 2003 views)
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

You don't. Your instrumental is not bad but the mix has some major issues. Your kick sounds distorted. There is instances where compression just comes in so hard that it just destroys the mix.

There are so may "undoable things" I am hearing that will hold you back from getting serious artist to work with you. Your 2 track should be usable.

If you are against getting monitors, keep effects off and keep your levels low.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

What??

If it were possible to consistently get a good mix without monitors we'd all save a shitload of cash...by not buying them.

Your mix decisions will be
based on what you hear. If what you're hearing is not accurate then your decisions will follow. There's no way to seperate the two, I'm afraid...

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 29th March 2011
Gear Guru

seriously?
Old 29th March 2011
Gear interested

apprieciate it my friend, but im afraid of getting monitors that sound very different than what I get out of everything else.
Old 29th March 2011
Gear maniac

I usually do 98% of my mixing in ATH-M50's with great results.
My mix of Bobby Valentino & Plias "Phone Number" was the quietest mixing session around, lol.

Look, I got tired of all the different rooms, different monitors or different amps on the NS10's. Hell even the Ausberger's are all different sounding.

IMHO,
Grab a great set of cans and just learn the hell out of them. In the end you'll have consistency and that's what counts.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150MP View Post
This would be the best solution in your situation DJDMAN. In the amount of time I have been using these headphones, I have to say the balance you can achieve with them seem to translate well to what you will hear with a set of good studio monitors. They are also pretty good at reproducing low end. Forget about trying to use multimedia speakers as more than just a 2nd reference, you will only get so far.

Check em out.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

OP you can't use those "monitors" to make beats. Like what others have suggested get a good pair of cans, learn them well, use references, and save up for some monitors that will at least let you hear whats going on in your tracks. And then room issues come into play, but thats what the headphones are for.
Old 29th March 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

Imagine someone asking on paiting forum
"How do I paint without eyes?"
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post
Imagine someone asking on paiting forum
"How do I paint without eyes?"
More like painting with sunglasses, but yea..
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mix of Bobby Valentino & Plias "Phone Number" was the quietest mixing session around, lol.

Look, I got tired of all the different rooms, different monitors or different amps on the NS10's. Hell even the Ausberger's are all different sounding.

IMHO,
Grab a great set of cans and just learn the hell out of them. In the end you'll have consistency and that's what counts.
I'm going to check these out. I cant use monitors either, but its because I live in an apartment, so I have to use headphones, but they are kind of cheap. So I'm looking for some better ones. I thought I'd have to spend $300-400 to get quality results mixing, but these ATH-M50's seem reasonably priced though. Thanks
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
but its because I live in an apartment, so I have to use headphones, but they are kind of cheap.
Sure you can. You dont mix at loud volumes. The normal volume to mix at is around 85 to 98dB SPL ans thats not really loud at all and your ears stay fresh longer.

You dont blast your monitors to mix!!
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

How do i mix without audio files ?
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
How do i mix without audio files ?
How do i mix without ears?
Hey, can you get wave files in brail? Is there a converter for that?

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Sure you can. You dont mix at loud volumes. The normal volume to mix at is around 85 to 98dB SPL ans thats not really loud at all and your ears stay fresh longer.

You dont blast your monitors to mix!!
Yeah, idk, I just prefer to not to have music playing out loud for long periods of time, even if at appropriate levels. I've tried it and the wondering if its too loud or not becomes a distraction and I cant focus on what I'm doing. Even when listening to the radio at a moderate volume, I feel like I'm disturbing my neighbors, so headphones are best for me for now.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
Yeah, idk, I just prefer to not to have music playing out loud for long periods of time, even if at appropriate levels. I've tried it and the wondering if its too loud or not becomes a distraction and I cant focus on what I'm doing. Even when listening to the radio at a moderate volume, I feel like I'm disturbing my neighbors, so headphones are best for me for now.
If the neighbors don't complain then you don't have an issue. If you get a warning then stop. A warning never hurt anybody...
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Sure you can but dont mix at rap volumes. Honestly I think it might be a good idea to get some really nice headphones. I switch between AKG k240's I have had for 30 years and some K 702's. If you are making "beats" for other people let them do the mixing. Do yourself a favor and send them the tracks and not just an MP3 of your mix. Do what you do and let someone else do what they do.
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 30th March 2011
Gear nut

Amazing how we get so conditioned that we feel we can only use one method to get a great result.
I have mixed songs that have sounded great in various rooms with monitors.
And, I have mixed using headphones.

You can get a great mix using good phones, just check the mixs in a variety of different systems.
Lastly, I just completed a new album using DT770PRO headphones from Beyer Dynamic ,it is a hip hop album using live instruments
Les pauls, Fender rhodes, Moogs, etc and it sounds GREAT!!

Use what you have to get what you want!
Take care and the best to us ALL
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for beer

Are you serious? Did you purposely limit that to intolerable levels? Is that even limited or just clipped? That actually hurt - last time I press play without turning volumes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
This would be the best solution in your situation DJDMAN. In the amount of time I have been using these headphones, I have to say the balance you can achieve with them seem to translate well to what you will hear with a set of good studio monitors. They are also pretty good at reproducing low end. Forget about trying to use multimedia speakers as more than just a 2nd reference, you will only get so far.
Check em out.
+1 for ATH-M50s - I have them and I love them. They're not that expensive either. If I had use, I would buy a 2nd pair no problem.

Headphones are actually better in some cases, worse in others. They'll let you judge top end more clearly (or I should say painfully) and you can usually hear reverb clearer (especially if your room isn't treated). But it's also possible something will sound clean or clear enough on headphones, but sound muddy/unclear even on decent studio monitors (separation is key). I often mix switching between monitors/headphones and can usually nail levels dead on over a wide range of systems with the combination.

I would suggest learning your speakers if anything - maybe $5 speakers are unworkable, but any speakers that aren't complete garbage can be worked with. It's all about knowing what the sound from your speakers will sound like other places. Studio monitors are just magically good at sounding similar most places.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear nut

Wow!.....+1 for never hitting play again without turning down the volume.....I thought my mixes were bad (which they are...HELP!!) not sure what you did there, but im sure doing anything other than what your doing now for speakers will have better results.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
seriously?

LMFAOOOOOO ... well said rick ..well said.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear maniac

Plenty of bookshelf speakers out there claiming to be whithin ±3dB of their frequency range just like monitors do.
You can find them for very cheap sometimes from factory outlets.

A bookshlef with 55hz-20khz ±3dB sounds will soud similar to monitors with the same specs.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear nut

you aren't going to get anywhere near acceptable with results with your current system bro... Look at some good headphones if you don't want to shell out for monitors & the expense of room treatment.

p.s. it really didn't matter that it was mp3!
Old 30th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

IMHO,
Ever since being in "school" told that it is absolutely not possible to mix on headphones, I have been trying to rationalize that. (Not that I'm afraid of monitors, I have a "decent" pair, but for the reason you just said. What's more consistent than that. my sony 7506's have a better bass response anyway.

nice.

to the op, i guess the answer is to get a reference and learn ur speaks
Old 30th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.head View Post
Wow!.....+1 for never hitting play again without turning down the volume.....I thought my mixes were bad (which they are...HELP!!) not sure what you did there, but im sure doing anything other than what your doing now for speakers will have better results.

ouch! lol I give the OP credit for even putting himself out there. I don't think my ego could handle putting a mix in front of this group....especially one mixed on a boombox.
Old 31st March 2011
Gear addict

strange thread but.... i think you can mix without monitors,,, but i would expect much results
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by profplume View Post
ouch! lol I give the OP credit for even putting himself out there. I don't think my ego could handle putting a mix in front of this group....especially one mixed on a boombox.
It's not so much the mix is bad - its not like its terrible. It's that its limited to the point of obvious distortion and 10 times louder than anything else you would consider playing.
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattmaN View Post
Plenty of bookshelf speakers out there claiming to be whithin ±3dB of their frequency range just like monitors do.
You can find them for very cheap sometimes from factory outlets.

A bookshlef with 55hz-20khz ±3dB sounds will soud similar to monitors with the same specs.
Ummmm, no.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDMAN View Post
Hello there! I have been wondering over last few days how do I get a quality mix without the use of monitors. I have been using my gut, but need facts when it comes to mixing on cpu speakers (BTW I use Logitech X-70s 5.1 in stereo).

here's an example...(Used FL with stock sounds excluding drums.) sorry 4 mp3 format

ENJOY!!!
DJDMAN
Wow!....well first off...that is some seriously bad distortion and clipping ya got going on there....that's not even acceptable.
Headphones for mixing are fine if you make comparisons with different speakers and then figure our what your headphones lack in balance.
Headphones aren't very flat which makes them a poor reference monitoring system. I have ATH-M50's and Sony MDR7506 headphones and they both sound different and give me a mix that is too bass heavy to not bass heavy enough...so that's the problem. Headphones give you the detail in the sound and separation but balancing the frequency response and blending tones takes time and going back and forth between other speakers and the headphones. Like someone else mentioned if you take the time to learn a particular set of headphones you can adjust things based on what you know is weak in the cans.
First though you need to fix your recording and make sure your not clipping your input when you record....because whatever that is going on in your MP3 there is trashed....
I hope you weren't using Doc Dre cans when you made this...but then again that would probably explain some things....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search