Login / Register

Dr.Dre uses presets or create new sounds?
New Reply
Subscribe
Checkmate Muzik
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear addict

___
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Lives for gear

He's got a guy on payroll that brings in sounds.
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to studjo Send a message via Skype™ to studjo
perhaps he's working on not only painting by colors
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Lives for gear

Actually, I was informed Dre also uses softsynths -like sampletank and spectrasonics- in his studio, a sh_t load of vinyl, plus he has a team of producers that cuts and edit his samples. I know he uses organs, analog synths, e-mu and novation modules. I can hear a lot of presets in his tracks form all of these instruments, with a nice blend of eq and compression, maybe some laying and effects. Most of it sequenced on the mpc. His production team also record a lot of live instruments also. Basically-he uses every thing you can image.... He's $$$
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear interested

demo done with synths or samples,
track replayed with real instruments......
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear interested

the track lil bit wasnt produced by dre but by scot storch!
Checkmate Muzik
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear addict

He gota killer piano selection too. i cant tell if its real pianos or sample ones, it sounds very realistic
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear maniac

The track "lil bit" did work a lil bit on my nerves though.Not a fan of the track.But hey, it was a hit so thats all that counts right?Anyways, I remember Dre mentioning once in an interview bout sampling live drums and then really spending meticulous moments on eq'ing and compression to bring it to the sound he wants and the feel he needs.I presumed that they do use synth and sampled instruments for crafting the track.Usually, if u relayer it with a live version........it brings out so much character.

I have a feeling too that they use Spectrasonic's plugs.Also, I am sure they focus a lot of EQ and compression, even when using presets.........cause most times the preset has elements of what u looking for........but it needs a generous amount of tweaking and fx to get it perfect and the way u want it.Those kicks are most def eq'd to perfection.They knock so deep.Nice.
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Lives for gear

i think alot of his newer stuff uses softsynths, it just has that sound. i really hear it on alot of the games stuff. alot of eminems stuff sounds like software to me also. however, i could be wrong.....
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear maniac

Check out a Motif or a Triton. They got a lot of good sounds like flutes and pianos similar to Dre sounds. Bass sounds can be found on a lot of analog synths like eg juno 2 or moogs.
15th February 2006
Old 15th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard
i think alot of his newer stuff uses softsynths, it just has that sound.

i would highly doubt that.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

The "lil bit" track uses sounds form e-mu and the motif. Scott is a monster on the pitch bend wheel. Roland has some nice enthic sounds. A lot of known producers use softsynths. For example, Jadakiss's second ablum had two tracks made form sampletank. Jill Scott as a track on her second ablum made form reason. Obie Trice has a track on his ablum made form sampletank. Although, it's not what you use it's how you use it!
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

i would highly doubt that........

everyone has their opinion, like i said, i might be wrong. it just sounds different to me. westside story being one example.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to Ace'Lo
I know Dre, Timberland and Em's keyboardist Luis Resto has a Open Labs Neko in there arsenal! So Dre using softsynths may not be as far fetched as it seems.
www.openlabs.com/acelo
Protools HD2 Accel PCI & HD2 Accel PCIe, Mac Pro 8 core Intel, Command 8, Apple G5 1.8 single processor, Avalon 737sp, DBX 160X, Open Labs NEKO(with four 500gb internal harddrives), Akai MPC 3000 & 2000, Emu Sp-1200, Roland XP80, Yamaha Motif Rack, all the Emu modules, Korg MS2000, HEDD 192, Mac Book dual 2.4 with 4gigs of ram, Logic Studio 8, Axiom 25, Protools LE(Mbox Mini) and lyrics and beats 4 da streets!!
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.N.s
Although, it's not what you use it's how you use it!

yep, thats all that really matters
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

You guys talk like none of this stuff has been mixed by a top notch engineer. I'm thinkin might have something to do with high quality sounds.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not guessing the info I'm given, but was informed from the actual producers themsevles or engineers that worked in their camp. It's not really a secret what producers use today. You can buy the same equipment form GC or any other music store. These producers have talent.. I used to think it's the instruments you have in your arsenal that makes you a good producer... That's when I was corrected and informed the true reason of a hit... TEAMWORK! The producers, engineers, artists, recording gear and management-all give a element to success.. It's not who you work with also, but how hard you/they try.. Working hard 99% of the time may land a hit, but working 110% will land you a career. If Dre uses a softsynth in his production I assume they are being mixed in the finest recording room with a SSL board or TDM plug-ins.. Technology is getting so good now a days, the industry is putting up a fight to keep their numbers. SSL boards are very nice, but no longer mandatory for a hit record. It all depends on your mixing environment and what equipment you prefer to use. Some may do more than others, but do you really need these features or would you like to have the extra features. Maybe you like the sound of X product better than Z product. Or you feel more comfortable using the Z product over the X product. Whatever the case may be, its how you apply it-technique.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear maniac

An important factor too........to always remember...........the expert ears are most valuable.If they tell u the sound is just not working, then it just aint working.Ears are so valuable in this biz.Makes some wish, in the latter part of their lives, they never stood next too the speaker at the Metallica concert when they were 19.

But for real, I've seen peeps all having the same equipment.....but some were hopeless with it, and others created masterpieces.Its really all bout how creative u are....I admit though, if ur sounds are crappy, the overall sound of the track will be crappy, but the idea and the vibe can be felt.And that alone holds.Cause u can replace the crappy instruments with better quality ones and enhance the already tight vibe/feel of the track.Creativity........no substitute for that and thats something u either got...........or u pay good money to have someone ghost produce that for u.
Checkmate Muzik
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

I agree 100% that a lot of creating beats depends on the player/producer but if you dont think sounds and better equipment matters than you livin in a fantasy world. You need competitive equipment. But if you not a good musician to begin with then the best equip cant make u sound good.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik
I agree 100% that a lot of creating beats depends on the player/producer but if you dont think sounds and better equipment matters than you livin in a fantasy world. You need competitive equipment. But if you not a good musician to begin with then the best equip cant make u sound good.
I agree with u that sounds and better equipment do make a difference.But they only really make a difference if ur a good musician or producer/artist to begin with.Otherwise, the money may as well have been invested in a future retirement fund.But u know sometimes I notice producers can use the crappiest of sounds and make it work in the overall context.Ok, not all crappy, but sometimes u hear a producer using a cheap sounding drum or something which u wouldnt necessarily have used, but he/she just somehow make it work.Whent that happens, then thats pure talent and creativity.All in all Check, good sounds are always a welcomed to make a track bang that much more.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search