Login / Register

The Rules!!!! Everyone Read Before Posting!
Closed
Subscribe
TonyBelmont
6th February 2006
Old 6th February 2006

The Rules!!!! Everyone Read Before Posting!

Please read this entire thread before you post in this forum....These rules have been added to and amended over the years, and it is still a work in progress.

If you are new to GEARSLUTZ, this is a place to talk about gear (particularly pro-level gear).... not about the Top Ten MC's of all time, or who is the best producer ever. Please keep to the subject of GEAR (mics, pre's, EQ's, compressors, DAW's, and techniques, etc.) whenever possible. If you are new to engineering, sometimes it's better to read and lurk on the site for a while before posting.

So, to recap.... The name of the site is GEARslutz. We are here to talk about GEAR... and the use of the GEAR (which includes the process of making music with GEAR, tips using the GEAR and techniques USING the gear)... whether it's the use of a mic, a guitar, a keyboard, a preamp, a plugin, an MPC... or help with finding the right piece for anyone's given situation, or other advice. It's all gear related.

It's not a place to gossip about Scott Storch being broke, to promote a myspace page, a blog or a soundclick page, to discuss every hip hop song or album that comes out, to gossip about artists, or to post classifieds ads, etc.

If you want us to check out your music, please post your mp3's in this section....

Mp3 upload - Work in progress / advice requested / Show & Tell / Artist showcase - Gearslutz.com

... or this thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ix-thread.html

If you want people to check out your MYSPACE, please post a link in this thread....

Put Your WWW.MYSPACE.COM Link Up!!

Please DO NOT start a new separate thread in the forum showcasing your music, unless it is a gear test. Meaning you want to show off the sound of your gear(new mic pre, etc) rather than the music.

DO NOT START A THREAD WITH THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:

1. What keyboard or patch did "X" producer use for "X" song. It's OK to talk about what producer uses a keyboard, but do not start a new thread asking which preset was used for a song.

2. Check out my myspace, soundclick, mp3, etc.... There is a thread at the top to post your music in, please use this to show off your tracks and do not start a new thread.

3. How much can I charge for my beats?... The answer to that is simple, whatever you can get for them.

4. Anyone check out X artist's new song or X producer's new beat.... we aren't a hip hop music debate/ critique site. There are other forums for that... go there to discuss those types of topics.

Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
TonyBelmont
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007

Read This & Basic Forum Rules Before Posting!!!!

This forum should be a place for both beginner's and pro's alike. ALL NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ.

Here's the new rules in addition to the BASIC FORUM RULES...

1. Infractions will be given by the mods and admin for people who violate the basic forum rules... Three infractions = Posting privileges will be taken away or you will be evaluated for banning! Three strikes you're out... These will be for things that go above and beyond stupidity, like attacking a member, racial comments, creating threads that serve no positive purpose, discussing cracked software, asking if your MBox pre's are just as good as a 1073, etc.

2. If you attack a member for his work on a major label project you are banned. Immediate BAN! If you don't like the way something was mastered, or mixed, keep it to your self. This is nobody's personal soapbox. This is why some of the BIG producers don't post here much, because some idiot would always start a thread about so & so's new album and talk shit about it. If you were Pharell, would you want to help the same people that were putting you down?

3. If everyone posts how much they hate your stupid comments after you say something all the time.... You may be BANNED! It's happened before, and will happen to others who say and do stupid shit. You would have to be a real jerk for this to happen. We're not here to cater to people who behave badly.

It only takes one or two fools to screw up a good thing. The same people who were here in the beginning are still here. Because the forum got more popular, it's not only the well-experienced guys posting, but also newbies who were told about us in other forums.. There's no reason why we can't have both experienced pro's and beginner's discussing the same topics. I welcome newbies to the forum, just show others respect and before posting a new thread, try the search function.

New posters = use common sense. If you've never recorded anything before, then TRY THE SEARCH FIRST. I appreciate everyone who participates in the forum, and we will not turn anyone away. Just be cool to each other, do a search if it's about the basics and respect one another.

This is aimed to keep the new members from changing the dynamic of the forum. This place will continue to be a place where everyone is welcomed to participate. We just need to treat others with respect, in cases where they may not know the rules or have read the stickies, don't attack the poster, just point them to the stickies.

Everyone's tired of the Album reviews, 'check out my beats' threads, 'cop' this magazine to read about the latest 'beef' threads, 'how much is producer X slangin' his beats for' threads, etc. Let's keep this stuff to a minimum.

IF ANYONE SEES ANY THREADS WHICH DON'T BELONG HERE, CLICK THE REPORT POST BUTTON AND THEY WILL BE EVALUATED AND DELETED OR LOCKED. I CAN"T READ EVERY THREAD OR EVERY POST, SO I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP WITH THIS!

***Also, if you start a thread complaining about a thread being closed or moved, you will loose posting privledges for a "to be determined" amount of time! Every thread that gets locked or moved doesn't need to be discussed. IT WAS DONE FOR A REASON! This eats up too much time and effort to explain things, not only to the thread starter, but to the entire forum. This is what PM's and EMAILS are for.
TonyBelmont
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007

ALSO, IF YOU TALK ABOUT CRACKED SOFTWARE OR POST COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INFRACTION OR BE BANNED!
TonyBelmont
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007

Due to the amount of OFF TOPIC threads, if you start a thread which does not belong in this forum for any reason... IT WILL BE DELETED. Threads will not be moved to different forums until further notice.
TonyBelmont
27th May 2008
Old 27th May 2008

TonyBelmont
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008

New Rules

We have imposed 2 new rules that are going to be strictly enforced from now on.

Rule #1: If you are going to start a thread, give it a name based on the topic you want to discuss... Please no more threads with titles like "I Can't Figure it Out" or "Sometimes I Make Things Complicated", etc.

Write a basic description... for instance, if it's a question about an MPC & Sync Issues... Write "MPC Sync Question". This is basic forum etiquette stuff.

Users will receive a warning for these from now on. Three warnings and your account is suspended (and evaluated for banning).

Rule #2: No more starting threads just to talk about your new favorite album or artist unless it's engineering or production related (and NO, thinking it has good engineering or production doesn't count)... There is an actual forum for those discussions right here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-about-music/

Users will receive a warning for these from now on. Three warnings and your account is suspended (and evaluated for banning).

Let's keep these discussions in the proper forum folks and start practicing typical basic forum etiquette.

I realize it's just a handful of people who do this, but I want to make it public knowledge that these are rules that we all need to follow.

We need to create an environment that promotes a sense of professionalism... and people need to understand this forum direction and mindset. Reading the forum rules at the top of the forum and attempting to follow them is essential to achieve this goal.
TonyBelmont
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008

Just for more clarification...

Before posting a thread... if you think it may not be appropriate for a hip hop forum that is here to talk about ENGINEERING and PRODUCTION, then DON'T POST IT! We are here to exchange information...

And... as always, please don't come to the forum to self-promote your music.

If you start a thread promoting your Myspace or Soundclick page... your posting privileges will be suspended. This has become an everyday thing, and there is already a forum for this:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...tist-showcase/

So, anyway... please re-read the forum rules and think before posting.

Thanks!
TonyBelmont
20th March 2009
Old 20th March 2009

Important Information About Posting in Our Forum

When browsing the forum you will see threads that are grayed out and say "MOVED".

That means that these types of threads are not allowed in this forum. So, DO NOT post these kinds of threads in the future here.

For new posters, this is a High End Hip Hop discussion forum that revolves mostly around the GEAR we use.

We are not here to cater to the "future" producers, there is already a site or two for that.

We are here as a place for "current" producers and engineers to talk about gear... Take a while to browse the forum and use the search function before starting new threads. Newbies are welcome to post if you check your attitudes at the door. Otherwise, you'll be banned pretty quickly. You should also read the lengthy forum rules before posting.
TonyBelmont
1st April 2009
Old 1st April 2009

Everyone Please Read: Ego and Attitudes

I've noticed a major amount of ego and attitude in the forum. So, in order to circumvent all of the negative attitudes, I am implementing a new rule that I am asking everyone to follow......

If you don't have something good or positive to say, then don't say anything.

If you think a thread is "stupid" or "it's been discussed a million times", just REPORT IT! Do not post in the thread that you feel it's not forum material. Let me judge that, by reporting it. Let's all check our ego's at the door and try to make this a more socially POSITIVE place to be. I personally don't really enjoy hanging out in a place where people are sending out negative vibes (whether it's the internet or not). If negativity is going to continue permeating this forum, I will just start giving 7 day bans for every negative post I see.

And, if you think I'm talking about everyone else, then you are wrong. THIS MEANS YOU, too.
TonyBelmont
30th October 2009
Old 30th October 2009

The Recurring "For Hip Hop" Threads

For future reference: We really don't need the addition of "for hip hop" at the end of thread titles and when posting questions in this forum...

So questions like:

What mic should I get (for hip hop)?

What synth is best (for hip hop)?

What is the best vocal mic (for hip hop)?

.... and on and on.

You are posting in the Hip Hop forum, so we assume you are doing Hip Hop. These three words have become a point of debate so just ask the question, we don't need this specific additional clarification.

However, when asking a question like this, try to be as specific as possible of what you are looking for... this will help people in the answering process.

For instance, "what is the best mic for a male vocal with a lot of low mid presence?" ... is a better question than "what is the best mic for hip hop, I like my vocals crispy". I could go on and on, but you get the point.
TonyBelmont
25th April 2010
Old 25th April 2010

Big Ego's

If you only come to this forum to make yourself feel better by putting people down, please change your ways immediately.

We don't need this type of negativity here anymore. Let's stop this disrespecting... and move on with positive discussions, and positive interactions with one another.

From this point forward (starting today - Sunday 4/25/10)... I will be giving infractions for this type of behavior.

If you get three of these infractions, you're gone forever.

And... if you made it this far down... Congratulations. YOU are actually someone who we want posting here. A person who reads the rules.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search