FL Studio to Pro Tools
New Reply
Subscribe
ForeverYoung
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Head

FL Studio to Pro Tools

Hey guys I was just wondering, if I export the wav files from my FL Studio session to Pro Tools, and then bounce the mp3 file in Pro Tools, does the sound still get colored by FL? (that 2d type of sound)

Or would it color the sound the same as if I just worked straight in Pro Tools.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Head

Software doesn't have "coloring" to your sounds...Software is just Software, if that makes sense. The only "color" to your sounds in software is plug-ins and mixing you do in your software and of course, the nature of the sound itself.

But if you're talking about Plug-Ins on your tracks in FL...yes, they will be "committed" to the Wav. File when you put them in Pro Tools. You will not lose the effects you added in FL.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear addict

most hardware doesant even color sound. software coloring is just silly
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I think the 2d type of sound you are feeling has to do with your productions, not the sound from FL.
ForeverYoung
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Head

^ that maybe so...but are you really trying to tell me there aren't songs out that scream they were made in FL Studio to you? Like Forever, like Not Afraid? That airy sound, the hollowed out drums? Just like how there's a distinct mpc sound especially when it comes to kicks, just like how if you listen to S1 and Khalil it's obvious they use reason by the way their shit distorts. You listen to a song like throw it in the bag and you can be 99% sure it wasn't made in FL...you listen to a song like not afraid and you can be 99% sure it was.
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

I can usually tell if somethings produced on FL, Reason (unless put through logic) or Ableton live.
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
^ that maybe so...but are you really trying to tell me there aren't songs out that scream they were made in FL Studio to you? Like Forever, like Not Afraid? That airy sound, the hollowed out drums? Just like how there's a distinct mpc sound especially when it comes to kicks, just like how if you listen to S1 and Khalil it's obvious they use reason by the way their shit distorts. You listen to a song like throw it in the bag and you can be 99% sure it wasn't made in FL...you listen to a song like not afraid and you can be 99% sure it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
I can usually tell if somethings produced on FL, Reason (unless put through logic) or Ableton live.
I doubt it.
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've guessed it many times on tunes so there's no doubting dfegad
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear addict

EDF
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
EDF
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to EDF Send a message via MSN to EDF Send a message via Yahoo to EDF Send a message via Skype™ to EDF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

FL studio no longer has a "sound" its all about the producer and the mixer now.
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via Yahoo to DEZEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
You can't do that by using your ears. Sure, a easy way to find out is to search the "FL" signature in the mp3 Tag or in the file :P (if the producer leaves it there). But, again, you can't tell by using your ears. What you COULD recognize are FL's factory sounds or synths. But, hey.. FL is a very fine VSTi host and I personally don't use any of it's factory instruments. So, how would you possibly tell that I'm using FL in my case ? I'd could even use some instruments from a rewired Reason session. Then what would you recogninze, Reason or FL?

Check out my Connivers remix on Q-unique's official MySpace
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
+1
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Is this FL or No FL?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 808 Demonstration.mp3 (5.20 MB, 213 views)
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Is this FL or No FL?
Good one! Hmmmm....I'm gonna have to say yes. I don't agree that DAW's have a "sound" BTW...but figured I'd take a guess. Something about the track screams yes to me. Eager to hear the results.

http://soundcloud.com/gravelrhodesmusic/grocery-store-aisle-5

UPDATED: 01/31/2011
ForeverYoung
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Head

Is this FL or No FL?

YouTube - Cassidy - Peace

If I said if you can guess which DAW this was produced in I'll give you $100. Are you going to guess that this was made Cubase? nah. Pro Tools? prolly not.

lol anyone who uses FL can tell by the swing alone on those kicks that there's a very, VERY high probability that this beat was produced in FL.
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this FL or No FL?

YouTube - Cassidy - Peace

If I said if you can guess which DAW this was produced in I'll give you $100. Are you going to guess that this was made Cubase? nah. Pro Tools? prolly not.

lol anyone who uses FL can tell by the swing alone on those kicks that there's a very, VERY high probability that this beat was produced in FL.
isn't that a boi1da track? so obviously it's fl. who cares if it's fl or not, or whatever, as long as it sounds good.
ForeverYoung
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem View Post
isn't that a boi1da track? so obviously it's fl. who cares if it's fl or not, or whatever, as long as it sounds good.
You're right, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. But the debate at hand is whether or not some beats have an FL sound or not. The answer is yes. A lot of people can use FL and you'd never know. I'd never guess Alex da Kid used FL until I read it somewhere. But when you hear Boi-1da's beats, they have that "FL sound". Even just the way his stuff is programmed. If you use FL then you should understand what I'm saying. That's not to say they're not dope, or that it even matters because the general public doesn't know the difference...but I'm just saying. Someone explained this well on another forum "He uses off time shifted hihats alot more than 32 count hihats. He uses more pattern based melodies than full lenghth stuff. No changeups, just drop outs and pop ins...but in Boi 1da's situation, if you had said he used anything else, I woulda thought, Damn, sounds like FL to me.". This has nothing really to do with the music itself, but these are some of the reasons why it's obvious to FL users that he uses FL... and this is what we're discussing. Once again..plenty of people use FL and use it in a way where it would be hard to actually pinpoint and say that FL is being used.
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. But the debate at hand is whether or not some beats have an FL sound or not. The answer is yes. A lot of people can use FL and you'd never know. I'd never guess Alex da Kid used FL until I read it somewhere. But when you hear Boi-1da's beats, they have that "FL sound". Even just the way his stuff is programmed. If you use FL then you should understand what I'm saying. That's not to say they're not dope, or that it even matters because the general public doesn't know the difference...but I'm just saying. Someone explained this well on another forum "He uses off time shifted hihats alot more than 32 count hihats. He uses more pattern based melodies than full lenghth stuff. No changeups, just drop outs and pop ins...but in Boi 1da's situation, if you had said he used anything else, I woulda thought, Damn, sounds like FL to me.". This has nothing really to do with the music itself, but these are some of the reasons why it's obvious to FL users that he uses FL... and this is what we're discussing. Once again..plenty of people use FL and use it in a way where it would be hard to actually pinpoint and say that FL is being used.
Probably. But I think that has a lot to do with recognizing preset instruments and drums, built in plug ins, and what kind of arrangements are easy to make in each program. Also the kind of producer who is drawn to each program. But not because of the way the program "colors" the sound.
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Good one! Hmmmm....I'm gonna have to say yes. I don't agree that DAW's have a "sound" BTW...but figured I'd take a guess. Something about the track screams yes to me. Eager to hear the results.
It's not thumbsup
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

As for actual sound coloring by using different DAWs I dunno, but here's a trick I like to use that was made specifically for DAW users. Hopefully you are familiar with rewire, which allows you to run one DAW almost like a plug in for another one. What I do is construct a beat through fruity loops then when it's time to record I strictly use ableton with the fruity loops beat running as an ext. In. The nice thing about this is you can throw fx, vsts, or any other plugins you like about ableton (or protools in your case) directly on the audio track that is the ext. In fruity loops. Fun to mess around with and your beats can have the best of two separate DAWs regardless of which one you actually constructed the beat on.
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obleezy View Post
As for actual sound coloring by using different DAWs I dunno, but here's a trick I like to use that was made specifically for DAW users. Hopefully you are familiar with rewire, which allows you to run one DAW almost like a plug in for another one. What I do is construct a beat through fruity loops then when it's time to record I strictly use ableton with the fruity loops beat running as an ext. In. The nice thing about this is you can throw fx, vsts, or any other plugins you like about ableton (or protools in your case) directly on the audio track that is the ext. In fruity loops. Fun to mess around with and your beats can have the best of two separate DAWs regardless of which one you actually constructed the beat on.
Yes..Rewiring FLstudio into Cubase has been my go to. This way I can do all my MIDI in FL, and my audio in Cubase. It works out perfectly.
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Never tried rewiring FL Studio into Pro Tools. I might have to do that even though I usually just bounce to 24 bit wav and drop them into a PT session. Man, this reminds me I need to update to PT 9.
Planet Mars Beats

Email me if you interested in my services

Check out the track below.

http://soundcloud.com/planetmarsbeats/122811-save-the-world-revised
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Um, if the person uses ONLY in-built plugins, especially instruments, then you should be able to tell what DAW they're using. The instruments have a signature. This is not a bad or derogatory comment. But Reason sounds like Reason just like a Juno sounds like a Juno.

Anyway, to the OP, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Bounce your wav files and work with Pro Tools if that's what you want. Otherwise, you have two major options: 1, export to MIDI and remake your tracks or 2, remove all plugins and bounce to wav file then add plugins in Pro Tools.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search