Neumann M-150 vs. Neumann u87ai
New Reply
Subscribe
LuisV
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

Neumann M-150 vs. Neumann u87ai

Im considering getting one of these. The mic is going to be used for r&b vocals. Also I dont really mind the Omni directional pattern so it won't be a factor. Can anyone tell me which of these mics is the best choice? Im looking for extremely clear vocals like how most people using the two mics sounded on the "We Are the World Haiti"
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Hey, as much as I would like to help, I will say that first of all, I'm sure that if they used U87s they were vintage, modified ones, and if they weren't, they were U67s.

Also, their voices sound great from the start, if you'd hear them sing in person you would understand. Make sure you try the mic first if you can.

I give you an example... Beiber is singing with an M49 in the clip? Well I've seen him sing with a U87 and he still sounds like him. Beyond the auto-tune graph mode, This kid can actually sing! Same with Usher.

Like Akon and T-Pain, They usually use the c800g (and Akon also uses a vintage U87). Akon still sounded like Akon through the M49.
LuisV
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

I was considering the Sony too. Thing is I don't want to be out of a fortune for the mic and pre, although I love the sound of that mic. Oh and yea I knew that they were all pretty good singers to begin with but I mean how their voices sounded. They had that super clean shine to them.
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisV View Post
I was considering the Sony too. Thing is I don't want to be out of a fortune for the mic and pre, although I love the sound of that mic. Oh and yea I knew that they were all pretty good singers to begin with but I mean how their voices sounded. They had that super clean shine to them.
Yeah but don't forget that there's a lot of processing after the vocalists are done! Make sure you listen to the mics in person. A lot can be done post-production. The U47 for example sounded super bright when the girl sang with it, and honestly I've never heard a U47 sounding that way.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search