Talkbox and Yamaha DX100
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear nut

Talkbox and Yamaha DX100

Hey this is my first time posting on this site and i've noticed that there's a lot of people that know their stuff on here so i hope someone out there can help me out. I'm trying to get that Roger Troutman sound with a Yamaha DX100 and Banshee Talkbox. ive tried editing the FM sawtooth voice on the DX and it sounds ok but it just doesn't sound good enough when i compare it to the sound Roger had or the sound Dj Quik, Battlecat, Bosko etc. have. I have a chance to possibly do some talkbox work here in the near future but i want to get the best possible sound. if anyone knows the parameters for this sound i would appreciate the help. thanks
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear maniac

Old 25th January 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken
holla at me I got them InsaneMixaken@aol.com
I checked the link you sent me for your "my space" but i didn't see any parameters for the DX100, thanks anyway. If anyone else has any info on how to get a good talkbox sound out of a Yamaha DX100 hit me up...
Old 25th January 2006
Gear maniac

i use the larisyn preset or a brass preset. but its not only the dx 100 sound, its also the player that makes the 'roger'sound. ya gotta pronounce the s, v,t etc. adding a guitar distortion can also make the sound a little clearer.
Old 25th January 2006
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey B.A.

Like Rotterdam said. It's not only the DX-100 and Heil or Bandshee, it's the performer. It took me a long time time get a good sound doing it.
Roger used the Hard Brass from the DX-100 and make sure you put it in Mono for lead lines.
Also when you do backgrounds, you have to do them like a singer and do about 8 to 16 parts. That's what Roger did as well. It's really a lot of work to get it right. It took me around three years to get it down. A great mic helps as well. I use a U87 Neumann.
He use to use a Shure 57 among other mics.
The best bet though is to make one or have one made. Same as Roger, And Teddy Riley whom is the new king at it.

Hope this helped....Check out the website. I think I still have a song that I did Talkbox on. I did that about 2 1/2 years ago.

Lata
M2E

1ne
Old 25th January 2006
Gear nut

thanks for all the good info. i did switch the sound i was using to a brass and to me it does sound better, so thanks for that. as far as my pronounciation goes, its pretty good, you can clearly tell what im saying (as clear as you can get on a talk box anyway) but yeah i feel ya, to even get close to touching Rogers sound is gonna take some work. And M2E, i'll check your track out later, im at work right now . thanks again, peace...
Old 28th August 2006
Gear interested

Roger Troutman Talkbox Sound

I finally got it right!! If you want to know what the real patch is holla at me.

UP
Old 28th August 2006
TTB
Gear maniac

Oh Yeah...The Great Talkbox! Roger is a Big Inspiration for me! It just takes Dedication and Practice to get good on the Talkbox. Experiment wit diffrent sounds. The Dx-100 is good for the talkbox, but theres others that will do the Job. Its all how you tweak the sound and the talkbox itself.. Oh yes, and you got to know how to play a little keys.

Heres Me and My Boxx...

http://www.tonytalkbox.com/TTBcalilove.html

*BUMP*

-T
Old 28th August 2006
Gear maniac

Hey TTB, sounds good!
What's your amp setup for the talkbox?

R
Old 28th August 2006
TTB
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
Hey TTB, sounds good!
What's your amp setup for the talkbox?

R
I use a Princeton 112 ( Fender ) to run my Boxx..
Old 1st December 2008
Gear interested

Dx21 talkbox help patch

Hey i just got the dx21, can anyone help with the roger and TEDDY RILY sound

thanks

plus anyone know how to hook this up wth midi

i got a midi to usb but it wont work for some reason
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search