Login / Register

How to use Fantom patches/sounds in DAWs??
New Reply
Subscribe
mindgone5150
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

How to use Fantom patches/sounds in DAWs??

Hello all,

I have been trying to do this for the longest time, watched many youtube videos and still am unable to do so. I just want to be able to use my Roland Fantom G patches or sounds, within my DAW ( Fl studio / Logic ) AND be able to edit the notes in the midi editor / piano roll. Make sense? I would like to be able to use the fantom as a sound module basically. I make music on FL studio and logic and i want to be able to use my fantom sounds as well, without having to compose the fantom sounds within the fantom and then having to record it in my DAW as audio....makes sense? I want to get the fantom sounds in the DAW and edit the notes in the DAW as well. I hope i am making sense....i watched these videos so far

YouTube - Tutorial: How to Use the Roland Fantom X-8 Internal Patches with FL Studio
YouTube - TUTORIAL on triggering Roland Fantom Sounds in FL with MIDI

I am able to use my fantom as a midi keyboard to trigger the sounds within the DAW but not in the fantom itself, the videos are using the fantom x, and i have a fantom g, the menu and settings are still roughly the same but i dont know if it makes a difference...i followed the instructions in complete with no luck.
I have:

Roland Fantom G6
FL Studio 9
Logic 9
M-Audio uno midi interface

I connect the fantom through usb to the computer (I even tried using the uno with no luck)

What am i doing wrong or not doing at all? I have been trying to do this for SOOOO LONG with no luck....i have posted on here with this question before with no responses.....I thought i'd try it again....anyone with any insight on this can help, i would greatly appreciate it.
I will even paypal a reward for someone that can actually do this

BTW i have been told that this is not possible, that i have to use the fantom editor and then record into my DAW as audio, but i think that their wrong and that there has to be some way to do this........I'll turn this over now to all of you professionals @ gearslutz with high hopes...thanks for taking the time to read and or respond.
KT1
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgone5150 View Post
Hello all,

I have been trying to do this for the longest time, watched many youtube videos and still am unable to do so. I just want to be able to use my Roland Fantom G patches or sounds, within my DAW ( Fl studio / Logic ) AND be able to edit the notes in the midi editor / piano roll. Make sense? I would like to be able to use the fantom as a sound module basically. I make music on FL studio and logic and i want to be able to use my fantom sounds as well, without having to compose the fantom sounds within the fantom and then having to record it in my DAW as audio....makes sense? I want to get the fantom sounds in the DAW and edit the notes in the DAW as well. I hope i am making sense....i watched these videos so far

YouTube - Tutorial: How to Use the Roland Fantom X-8 Internal Patches with FL Studio
YouTube - TUTORIAL on triggering Roland Fantom Sounds in FL with MIDI

I am able to use my fantom as a midi keyboard to trigger the sounds within the DAW but not in the fantom itself, the videos are using the fantom x, and i have a fantom g, the menu and settings are still roughly the same but i dont know if it makes a difference...i followed the instructions in complete with no luck.
I have:

Roland Fantom G6
FL Studio 9
Logic 9
M-Audio uno midi interface

I connect the fantom through usb to the computer (I even tried using the uno with no luck)

What am i doing wrong or not doing at all? I have been trying to do this for SOOOO LONG with no luck....i have posted on here with this question before with no responses.....I thought i'd try it again....anyone with any insight on this can help, i would greatly appreciate it.
I will even paypal a reward for someone that can actually do this

BTW i have been told that this is not possible, that i have to use the fantom editor and then record into my DAW as audio, but i think that their wrong and that there has to be some way to do this........I'll turn this over now to all of you professionals @ gearslutz with high hopes...thanks for taking the time to read and or respond.
Ok so where to start,

1) Confirm that Audio and not just MIDI can pass via USB. I think the G can do this but check!

2)Make sure the correct ASIO driver is selected in the DAW and Buss are connected correctly.

3)Check track input is correct and monitoring is activated.

This should work just fine! you'll find that it is probably something stupid.

Much love

KT
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to kingchong Send a message via AIM to kingchong Send a message via MSN to kingchong Send a message via Yahoo to kingchong
:

You need to create a midi out track and set it to the port you have the fantom assigned to in the midi settings. Then the notes you have in the piani roll will trigger the fantom.
mindgone5150
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Hey guys thanks for the input, i appreciate you guys taking the time to help and respond.

I know the usb does allow for audio and midi, and i tried selecting the ASIO driver in the DAW, its the only way that lets me use the fantom as a midi controller.
I also did the midi port to match up with the port assigned in the midi settings, still no luck...i tried everything in the two videos posted with no luck...even did the part numbers as well......still stuck! i know it must be something i am not doing right and it may be something very stupid that im not doing ! this is driving me nuts!
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to kingchong Send a message via AIM to kingchong Send a message via MSN to kingchong Send a message via Yahoo to kingchong
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post
You need to create a midi out track and set it to the port you have the fantom assigned to in the midi settings. Then the notes you have in the piani roll will trigger the fantom.
That is the right answer there.
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Gear interested

I can help

LOL man you have no idea how much i can relate with you man. i had a fantom x6 for years before i could finally figure out how to use the instruments in the fantom in logic. its easy to control logic software instruments through the fantom, as it is just working as a midi controller. to use fantom instruments you basically need to use logic as a controller for the fantom. its a sort of complicating process until you do it once and understand it. I go to school for recording arts at full sail university, and i literally had to wait until i had my MIDI class to ask the teacher and get him to walk me through it and show me. I am working on a video now to put on youtube because i know tons of ppl who have this question like i did. i do it different than most of these people are saying. i use a midi and an audio track. local switch off on ur fantom. you will have to switch the remote keyboard switch on your fantom on and off when you record and play back respectively to be able to hear the audio from the fantom the whole time. when you use midi and audio you have both the ability to record the midi from the fantom to logic and quantize it in the midi track, input the sound( using the (I)input on the audio track so you can hear it in real time, and then you quantize the midi, and record arm the audio track while input monitoring is still on and re-record it to that. then you have quantized(on beat) midi from a fantom sound already recorded to audio ready to go. im sure this sounds very confusing and i can explain a lot better once you get started
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub1103 View Post
LOL man you have no idea how much i can relate with you man. i had a fantom x6 for years before i could finally figure out how to use the instruments in the fantom in logic. its easy to control logic software instruments through the fantom, as it is just working as a midi controller. to use fantom instruments you basically need to use logic as a controller for the fantom. its a sort of complicating process until you do it once and understand it. I go to school for recording arts at full sail university, and i literally had to wait until i had my MIDI class to ask the teacher and get him to walk me through it and show me. I am working on a video now to put on youtube because i know tons of ppl who have this question like i did. i do it different than most of these people are saying. i use a midi and an audio track. local switch off on ur fantom. you will have to switch the remote keyboard switch on your fantom on and off when you record and play back respectively to be able to hear the audio from the fantom the whole time. when you use midi and audio you have both the ability to record the midi from the fantom to logic and quantize it in the midi track, input the sound( using the (I)input on the audio track so you can hear it in real time, and then you quantize the midi, and record arm the audio track while input monitoring is still on and re-record it to that. then you have quantized(on beat) midi from a fantom sound already recorded to audio ready to go. im sure this sounds very confusing and i can explain a lot better once you get started
Sounds too complicated. Just create a midi out in FL. Choose the right midi channel to sync up. Then export the midi file in cubase, add it in there, record the synth while tweaking in Cubase. Simple. Oh and from what I'm hearing here and everywhere, Full Sail sucks
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

There's a vst editor for fantom G I beleive, give it a try.
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

man people talk shit on fullsail because dummys go through here and **** off and dont learn nothin and dont get jobs. ive learned shit in the past 14 months that i couldnt even fathom before and ive been doin shit for a long time man. i feel like with the classes ive had so far i could answer any question about recording. and i mean big boy consoles ssl duality amek bla bla sample rate, midi, pro tools, you name it. top of the class baby ill repost in august when i graduate and let you know whats up HA!
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Sounds too complicated. Just create a midi out in FL. Choose the right midi channel to sync up. Then export the midi file in cubase, add it in there, record the synth while tweaking in Cubase. Simple. Oh and from what I'm hearing here and everywhere, Full Sail sucks
Your family member Marcella "Ms. Lago" Araica went there, and she seems to be doing ok. Don't hate

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search