For the millionth time...What gear do i need?
BOO BLADES
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

For the millionth time...What gear do i need?

Whats going on fellas (and ladies if there are any)?...i've been stalking this site for a couple weeks now and i just decided to jump in and get a response to my studio gear questions...i know the drill cuz i've read so many post about it so here goes:..Im a rapper/producer/indie label...i need a studio to record me and my artists...i have mackie 824's an mpc and a triton...i also have a vs2480 but im not recording into that anymore cuz i think its making my sound thin and tinny...im looking to get the best commercial quality tracking and production done in the protools format...my budget is about 20k (dont go crazy as you gearslutz tend to do...i just need the essentials to get my studio up and running for the new year)...as of now im leaning toward a digi002 a g5 maybe an se-1 for bass...and a rosetta 800 for conversion...im not gonna try to mix any of the songs for commercial release...I'm gonna take them to a
professional studio for that but I want to be able to deliver my mix
engineer pristine vocals and optimum sounds...my intentions are to make
my beats in the mpc and then track them into protools...but I know I
should run them thru some type of anolog gear to get some warmth,
compression, etc....what gear would u guys recommend for the beats and
then the vocals...I will include a link so that u can hear my production
and vocals to best guage ur advice...thanx in advace for ur help.

I'm the last rapper on "gangsta" and the second rapper on the other 3
tracks..."hands up" and "gangsta" are my original tracks.

Www.myspace.com/booblades
Www.brainwaverecords.com

P.s.

I have the hottest dvd out right now...its called "keep your ears to the
streets"...if your interested in viewing the trailer and my video for
"hands up"...go to www.reloadmagazine.com

dfegad (just wanted to use that cuz i think its so cool)
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

If you are just going to track beats and vocals, I would image the 002 should be enough. The rosetta is a good converter, althogh you may want to look into a big ben for a master clock-you should be about to connect the big ben thru a Presonus Digimax. I use a U87 for most of my vocal projects, I also like the sound of the Brauner mic. You can't go wrong with a Manley mic pre IMO-they crush Avalon. The SE-1 is a beast! I would also invest in a Desk Doctor D/I Active for the mpc and keyboards. I would get a G5 dual with a wave gold bundle, max out the ram and get a external hard drive. Unfortunately, I do not have a analog board-I mix with a control 24. I have owned a Mackie 1604-which worked well-but I hear there are better mixers.

There is better gear form what I have listed. Although compared to your old set up, you will be very happy with the results!
BOO BLADES
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.N.s
The rosetta is a good converter, althogh you may want to look into a big ben for a master clock-you should be about to connect the big ben thru a Presonus Digimax. I use a U87 for most of my vocal projects, I also like the sound of the Brauner mic. You can't go wrong with a Manley mic pre IMO-they crush Avalon. The SE-1 is a beast! I would also invest in a Desk Doctor D/I Active for the mpc and keyboards. Unfortunately, I do not have a analog board-I mix with a control 24.
thanx for the info i.n.s I was wondering about gettting the control 24...it just looks so damn impressive if u get it in that argosy desk...u really think i need that? what are the benefits? also wont i still need to get a 002 rack for the ptle?...but anyway...i tried the u87 and i hate it...right now i got a rode n1000...im definitely gonna step it up on the mic side cuz thats one of the most important things...aiight rosetta and big ben (check)...which manley pre u talking about...i havent read much about those so u gotta fill me in...also the di?...am i running my tracks out of the mpc 1 at a time with that?....i wanted to do atleast 8 at a time cuz i hear that sometimes the mp and protools act stupid when syncing?
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

The Manley voxbox-i had compared it to a Avalon 737, Trident s40, Presonus Eureka and it sounds incredible! I've noticed not a lot of people favor the u87. Keep in mind, a mic and pre amp are like salt and pepper. If I had to pick, I would go for a good pre amp and a okay mic. As far as the control 24, it gives you a hands on feeling-went mixing in the box. I like it because I can save my last mix set up, reopen it, and everything is just the way I left it. Saves time on mixing for me! If you are going wih PTLE, I would get the 002r IMO. And no you will not have to track your mpc or keyboards one at a time with the DI Active. The Desk Doctor comes in a 8 or 24 channel strip.

http://www.highprofileaudio.com/wst_page7.html
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

Is your room's sound ok?
BOO BLADES
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonyme
Is your room's sound ok?

yeah i thought about that room problem too...but im gonna definitely get some treatments...i learned about that the hardway...any recommendations on subs?...i have 824's so i was just gonna get a mackie sub.
BOO BLADES
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.N.s
The Manley voxbox-i had compared it to a Avalon 737, Trident s40, Presonus Eureka and it sounds incredible! I've noticed not a lot of people favor the u87. Keep in mind, a mic and pre amp are like salt and pepper. If I had to pick, I would go for a good pre amp and a okay mic. As far as the control 24, it gives you a hands on feeling-went mixing in the box. I like it because I can save my last mix set up, reopen it, and everything is just the way I left it. Saves time on mixing for me! If you are going wih PTLE, I would get the 002r IMO. And no you will not have to track your mpc or keyboards one at a time with the DI Active. The Desk Doctor comes in a 8 or 24 channel strip.

http://www.highprofileaudio.com/wst_page7.html
yeah i checked out that di...but then i also added in the price of the presonus and im almost coming out to the price of lets say a 3124...wouldnt that be a better solution...(pre and di in one unit)...i could just eq in pt...i dont wanna get too technical on my front end cuz then im gonna go crazy twisting knobs...i see every one here loves the distressor...but shit...i wouldnt know where to cut frequencies to get the sound im after...i need to just get it in the park and let my mix engineer handle the rest as for the control 24...thanx for the heads up...i really dont need it cuz im not gonna be mixing anything...well maybe stuff for mixtapes but im sure the digi002 interface will suffice...by the way...are u "Rebel I.n.s the rapper?"...just noticed the name.

www.booblades.com
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO BLADES
yeah i checked out that di...but then i also added in the price of the presonus and im almost coming out to the price of lets say a 3124...wouldnt that be a better solution...(pre and di in one unit)...i could just eq in pt...i dont wanna get too technical on my front end cuz then im gonna go crazy twisting knobs...i see every one here loves the distressor...but shit...i wouldnt know where to cut frequencies to get the sound im after...i need to just get it in the park and let my mix engineer handle the rest as for the control 24...thanx for the heads up...i really dont need it cuz im not gonna be mixing anything...well maybe stuff for mixtapes but im sure the digi002 interface will suffice...by the way...are u "Rebel I.n.s the rapper?"...just noticed the name.

www.booblades.com
lol! No not the rapper...

I've heard the 3124 but never had any hands on experience. I believe with your set-up you would get more form a analog board. A D/I is an addition to a set up, not a must. This would be my idea set-up.

Apple G5 dual-maxed out ram
Glyph GT050 or 051
Mackie 1604 or 32/8-not the best but gets the job done
Digidesign 002r
Apogee Rosetta and Big ben
Presonus Digimax LT-This is the only way you can connect the 002r with the big ben
( If you decide not to get a masterclock, you will not need a digimax. )
Manley Voxbox-Or at least one good vocal mic pre
One or two good vocal mics...

And your all set!!!

Anything else, should be a option..
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

This short review will explain why and how to connect the big ben to a 002r...

Apogee Big Ben - By Mark Abrams

Apogee's Big Ben is an incredible addition to any professional digital recording studio. Anyone who is doing professional digital audio ranging from music, to foley and film should consider adding the Big Ben to their setup.

Apogee's Big Ben is superior to other word clocks in many ways. While most clocks use a combination of analog and digital elements, Apogee uses Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) with their C777 clock technology to maximize performance results. In order to minimize the amount of jitter, and optimize external clock performance, Big Ben uses a method called Adaptive Loop Filtering, or ALF. ALF is essentially a low pass filter that can take a jittery external clock, and improve upon it! In the event you should decide to sync the Big Ben up to another clock source, Apogee has installed it's new Sure Lock system. The Sure Lock system will cause the Big Ben to continue to generate word clock at the last detected frequency rate to other devices in the event that the master clock should fail.

I recently used the Big Ben on a session in my project studio, which has a Digi 002 rack at it's heart. To sync the 002 up to the Big Ben, I attached Big Ben to a Digimax LT lightpipe preamp, slaved the Digimax LT to the Big Ben, and then Pro Tools to the lightpipe input for clocking. As soon as I hit play, I immediately noticed a remarkable difference. Even on program material that was recorded without the Big Ben! The reason for this is that a word clock not only effects the A/D process, but the D/A process as well. Both conversion points are victims of jitter, and you would not believe how much this clock can improve your D/A performance. The largest, most obvious improvements were in the Low end. Suddenly, the bass guitar in the mix had increased, sharp, and accurate detail. The low notes no longer seemed to flub around. No more mud! It was as though I added a new pair of studio monitors to my set up. The next improvement I noticed was in the stereo imaging. Panned instruments seemed to be more realistically placed in the stereo field. There was an increased amount of both depth and space.

The results on the A/D process were just as impressive. I had a bass player, and electric guitar player come in from a country style group for the session. The bass guitar had even greater results when recorded with the Big Ben engaged. The electric guitar had an increased amount of detail, compared to the results that I usually get from my setup, especially with the room mics. The room sounded larger than ever, and it wasn't due to artificial mik'ing techniques.

I never thought adding something like a word clock to a system would show such positive results, but I must say I have a new outlook on digital recording. I felt like I had a newly upgraded Pro Tools rig in just minutes. I would advise anyone looking for an increased amount of detail from their already existing equipment to go meet Big Ben today!
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

i don't have a sub so i cannot really comment on that, but i think it isn't bad idea to have a sub from the same company as your speakers.

as to the big ben: i have no experience with masterclocks, but i think to have read that unless the internal clock of the ad-converter is really bad - and i don't think the rosetta's is - an external clock wouldn't be better and that it only made sense if you have to many converters you want to record with at once and for da-conversion. that's no experience but you might check that before eventually wasting money on a clock you don't need.
BOO BLADES
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear nut

Hey i.n.s...what would be a better board than the mackie 32x8...remember i want the best possible commercial quality sound b4 i get to mixing...i was under the impression that i wouldnt need a mixing board...just maybe some really good mic pres and converters...i want pro quality all the way...i dont want to compromise on fidelity not 1 bit...i did that already and wind up wasting an obscene amount of money doing so.
23rd December 2005
Old 23rd December 2005
Lives for gear

I would use a mixing board if I was planning not to use plug-ins. I like PT, but when I was using LE, I found myself running low on cpu. So I purchased a mixing board. Note, I had a G4 at the time with a single processor. Soundcraft boards are nice. Some mackie boards are used by producers on major ablums-like Focus form Aftermath Records. Mackies are good, but I hear there where better. Everyone has there own opinion of what sounds right. But you do not want to invest to much $$$ in gear unless you have more than enough to waste. I went thru so much gear before I realized what works. The gear I referred to you, was an ideal set up. The rosetta is a wonderful converter, although their wordclock suck. You can try out the big ben and decide if you like the difference in sound. If not, you can return it to the store. I've tried, own, returned and exchanged gear-within the store's policy. The only pain in the _ _ _ to return or exchange is special orders and microphones.

http://onestopbeats.com/focus.html
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

judging strictly by the trax on myspace, i think you should get the bare minimum, and spend the rest of that 20k on promotion----seems to me the nature of what you're doing is revolved around the artists flow, which is honestly great, and "mixtape" sounding trax....unless you're planning on a different approach to making trax (with really expensive synths, effects, live instrmnts, etc) why you gonna spend mad dough to put stock triton sounds through expensive converters, and analog "warming" equipment---your trax are cool, though, but i doubt anybody in your audience is gonna notice or care about any minor "equipment" based improvement---get a g5 and an mbox, and a good pair of speakers, boom you're done---as long as you got good ears, i think your trax'll sound fine...i just think there's better things to spend that money on...
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
yeah i thought about that room problem too...but im gonna definitely get some treatments...i learned about that the hardway...any recommendations on subs?...i have 824's so i was just gonna get a mackie sub.
When you're ready to conquer that project don't forget to check out Ethan Winer of RealTraps forum on prosound web:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/u...=0;DaysPrune=0

You can save yourself alot of dough by making bass traps yourself out of rigid fiberglass or rock wool insulation + it works better than auralex acoustical foam.
BOO BLADES
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok
judging strictly by the trax on myspace, i think you should get the bare minimum, and spend the rest of that 20k on promotion----seems to me the nature of what you're doing is revolved around the artists flow, which is honestly great, and "mixtape" sounding trax....unless you're planning on a different approach to making trax (with really expensive synths, effects, live instrmnts, etc) why you gonna spend mad dough to put stock triton sounds through expensive converters, and analog "warming" equipment---your trax are cool, though, but i doubt anybody in your audience is gonna notice or care about any minor "equipment" based improvement---get a g5 and an mbox, and a good pair of speakers, boom you're done---as long as you got good ears, i think your trax'll sound fine...i just think there's better things to spend that money on...
thanx for the feedback playboy...but if i told u how much money i already spent promoting these 2 singles (Hands Up and Gangsta) u would either smack me or ask what the hell i was doing wrong?...i have the mixtape thing going a lil bit (google my name) but im trying to establish a decent buzz in radio land before i release my album...i have been comparing my sonics to other commercially released material and although i have a better sound than most indies...its not at a major level (which is what i want)...since reading this forum...i've found out that alot of people have atleast 10-15k on their front end...all i have is a rode mic right into the vs2480...i study the best sounding rappers out there and i definitely fall short...i have an independent label...but we are well funded and wish to compete on a major level...i dont want to cut corners on vocal chains or beat tracking cuz in the new year i plan on being that dude that everyone is talking bout that "CAME OUT OF NOWHERE"...I have a promotional budget in place...the 20k is for production and building a legacy.
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

I would get...
\

Aurora Audio Joint...http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
a Empirical labs fatso...
DIGI 002
Lavry or Apogee converters
New monitors...I personally ate those mackies... ADAMs or BM5a's
Logic Pro for sequencing and sounds..
Soundelux U99 or 195
if your gonna get plugs get the URS, I dont like the Waves stuff much
then spend the rest of the money to treat your room and making it comfortable cause you will be spending alot of ****ing time there.
one
BOO BLADES
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft
I would get...
\

Aurora Audio Joint...http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
a Empirical labs fatso...
DIGI 002
Lavry or Apogee converters
New monitors...I personally ate those mackies... ADAMs or BM5a's
Logic Pro for sequencing and sounds..
Soundelux U99 or 195
if your gonna get plugs get the URS, I dont like the Waves stuff much
then spend the rest of the money to treat your room and making it comfortable cause you will be spending alot of ****ing time there.
one
thanx for the input...i was wondering about that aurora gmq2 module...it seems to get rave reviews in this forum from those who have it...if i get that then i guess i would also have to get the desk doc d.i. or something cuz i want to run all 8 outs from the mpc and that would allow me to do it and get a different flavor at the same time...just curious...why u hate the mackies? (they sound crazy to me and can handle whatever u throw at it)...the fatso...whats that?...i hear everyone always talking about the distressor never the fatso...from the name i would assume it beefs up a sound by compression (i could be wrong tho).
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

Mackie has good montiors, I used to have them. But since you are taking your recorded pojects to a professional engineer. I wouldn't worry to much about monitors. The mackies are good enough. They have nothing to do with what goes in. In order to get a good mix you just have to know your montiors. Your tracks are good, but a agogee will make your mix sound wider, cleaner and add a little bit of color. The lavry converters are good, but so are the apogee converters. Converters only add 5 to 10% improvement to your sound-same for a masterclock. Good converters are more noticeable on vocals. You will notice a bigger improvement tracking syths with a good D/I active-like the desk doctor. I'm planning to get one of those, I put a moog voyager thru it and I was blown away. There is so much gear-some good and some bad. Picking music gear is like picking out team players for the NFL. Some peolpe like the Steelers and some don't.

Anyway I've seen great reviews on the Aurora preamp also!
24th December 2005
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

thats tur about the monitors, I forgot you not mixing the tracks. In that case the macks will be fine, actually better than fine. Just check out a search on the fatso.... it dedigitizes digital... thats a quick way to explain it.
one
25th December 2005
Old 25th December 2005
Gear maniac

If you are doing hip hop or r&b you need a sub...simple. You gotta hear that stuff down there. So you'll know what you send out...... and .....hear it after you get it back and .....be able to ask questions about where it is or why there is too much of it.

Sooner or later you are going to mix something for some one...trust me . Folks will not let you be....they will say "aw man just a quick mix nothing serious" and thats all it takes. So start training your ear now to hear the low end and be able to tame it......it eats a lot of sonic real estate so you must learn it. It will help in pre-production as well because as your writing you wanna feel that nut rattle boom when your doing your thing. And start sound shaping before you send it out... your mix engineer will be very pleased.

As far as using the same company for both sub and satellites I say why not. I have owned the Event 20/20 bas and sub system in the past and they got along fine. I have a friend who has the Mackie system sub included and they work (sound) great together. Plus it is easier (attractive) to sell a complete system when your ready to move on...........Thats my take on it.

Holla
BOO BLADES
26th December 2005
Old 26th December 2005
Gear nut

First i would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas...then i would like to thank everyone for their feedback (especially my boy I.N.S.)...i feel like i have my own personal team of studio consultants...as it stands i know i will definitely be getting the 002, the apogee setup (800 and b.b.), a desk doc, and a sub...im leaning toward that aurora gmq2 but im thinking why get a bootlegged neve when i can get the real api (3124)?...I.n.s just thru another monkey wrench in the equasion with a mackie or soundcraft mixing board so now im checking into that cuz its like a having a patchbay with eq's...i plan on getting all this gear in the new year so "im making my list...checking it twice...im gonna find out which gear is naughty or nice...santa claus is coming..." sorry bout that...kinda got caught up in the christmas spirit...nonetheless dont give up on me...we all went thru this indecisive phase when it came to copping gear at one time or another...i did the "gung ho-dont ask anyone questions-get whatever i want"- thing and sadly became the loser so im a bit more guarded in my current approach...i need a killer vocal chain and i need a sick ass tracking chain for my mpc...the funny thing is once i get all this new equipment i will be back on here asking how to hook it up so fellas when u come to this thread bring a comfortable sleeping bag, a houserobe some slippers, a toothbrush and maybe a crossword book or two...no better yet...bring a snickers cuz we might be here awhile ...peace

www.myspace.com/booblades
26th December 2005
Old 26th December 2005
Lives for gear

Happy Holidayzzz!

Good look on the shout Blades! That is a tight set up... That aurora is a beast i hear. Plus the rosetta will bring your LE converters to HD quality-192i/o or better. I wish I thought of that set up. Anyway as far as gear, don't second guess yourself-if you don't like it, or most importantly don't need it-return it quick. Sometimes you want to test drive a car before you drive it. I test drove the neve portico and it sounds good, but doesn't sound as good as a 1073. I still love my manley, but I wish i got a neve pre first.
26th December 2005
Old 26th December 2005
Gear maniac

Yo Boo,

I would go out and track/mix at an OUTSIDE good studio. Before you diss, let me elaborate;

First, the gearslut direction is a endless pursuit. You sound like you have your s%it together, so, work on your tracks, track and mix them at a reputable studio (you live in Brooklyn so you have many choices either in the BK or in the city), and spend your money and time on the best promotion and marketing you can do. Use OPM, in others words, Other Peoples Money.

This is where the hits are separated from the also-rans. You're going to need every cent you have for P&M.

Listen to the radio, this current rap stuff is not recorded in the best studios, with the best gear...but it IS marketed with the best promotion and marketing.

If your tracks are hot, and you play the game right, $20k can go a LONG way. But even that is pretty thin in this game.

Just my $0.02.
26th December 2005
Old 26th December 2005
Gear maniac

One caveat;

If you choose the gearslut route (which I don't recommend as a producer) start from the outside in (in this order);

Room Treatments
Monitors
Mics
Preamps
Conversion

and somewhere in the middle after Mics....

Compression/Limiting
Effects.
BOO BLADES
27th December 2005
Old 27th December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
Yo Boo,

I would go out and track/mix at an OUTSIDE good studio. Before you diss, let me elaborate;

First, the gearslut direction is a endless pursuit. You sound like you have your s%it together, so, work on your tracks, track and mix them at a reputable studio (you live in Brooklyn so you have many choices either in the BK or in the city), and spend your money and time on the best promotion and marketing you can do. Use OPM, in others words, Other Peoples Money.

This is where the hits are separated from the also-rans. You're going to need every cent you have for P&M.

Listen to the radio, this current rap stuff is not recorded in the best studios, with the best gear...but it IS marketed with the best promotion and marketing.

If your tracks are hot, and you play the game right, $20k can go a LONG way. But even that is pretty thin in this game.

Just my $0.02.

thanx for the advice playboy...but tracking at the studio i mix at will kill the budget...i tend to "produce" my vocals...meaning...i lay then down...then i listen to them over and over and then redo them to make it more musical...plus i like to do ad libs after i hear it a few times cuz then i know which words need to have effect...also i need to be able to edit the arrangement of the beat and sometimes what sounds good today doesnt sound good tomorrow so i need my own tracking set up...ur advice about treating the roow is quite sage and i will definitely make room for that in the budget...as far as the promo aspect...im totally disgusted with it but it comes with the territory...peace

www.brainwaverecords.com
27th December 2005
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

When your tracking your own vocals, you tend to feel more in control. You don't have to rush your projects. I used to be an artist and would spend hundreds to thousands on studio time. Now with my own set up. I am more flexible. Say if you made several tracks and only two are usable. You just wasted hours of studio time on five. Being a producer will cut your budget also. You have to invest to gain. If you produce your own material, you have the option to sell production-beats-or charge people for studio time. Now when I go to a professtional studio, I know what i want and how they-the engineer -can aproach it. They have the gear and extra-plus more professional-ears, I learn everytime I'm at a professional location. If you have a dead line, you don't have to kick out fast cash to reach it. Maybe the studio you prefer to work out of is booked. I know in NYC, beats are being sold for $500 plus. There are also people who will invest in music, maybe a label or you may want to do collapses to save $$$. A hustler will sell anything and does everything to make $$$$! Since Blades has the production side covered, 10k-maybe 15k-is all he needs. I would make 20 or 30 tracks a project, and pick the best ones to mix and master.
28th December 2005
Old 28th December 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
thanx for the advice playboy...but tracking at the studio i mix at will kill the budget...i tend to "produce" my vocals...meaning...i lay then down...then i listen to them over and over and then redo them to make it more musical...plus i like to do ad libs after i hear it a few times cuz then i know which words need to have effect...also i need to be able to edit the arrangement of the beat and sometimes what sounds good today doesnt sound good tomorrow so i need my own tracking set up...ur advice about treating the roow is quite sage and i will definitely make room for that in the budget...as far as the promo aspect...im totally disgusted with it but it comes with the territory...peace

www.brainwaverecords.com
I don't want to convince you not to buy, but u could still "finish" everything at home and go to the studio for tracking only then.

if you upgrade and want to treat your room yourself you might want to check:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
and
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search