What's the best Turntable for scratching?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

What's the best Turntable for scratching?

And
What do I need to start (other than the Turntable and Mixer)
Can you scratch like DJ Premier without a mixer?
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Don't bother, there's no more records left.
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

What do you mean by that?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear maniac

Technics 1200 is the industry standard turntable, although there are some DJ oriented decks from the other DJ companies (Ventax, Numark). But a 1200, or something in that series is a safe bet, as it will run forever. I have 2 from the 1980's that run like new, and have never been serviced.

As far as a mixer, you need a DJ or "battle" style mixer so you can "work" the crossfader. When scratching, it's all about the coordination between your scratch hand on the vinyl, and "juggling" the crossfader, to hear / mute your scratch patterns. Getting 2 turntables gives you options of going back and forth between 2 records, and keeping a beat going while changing your scratch record. Watch some You Tube video for battle / scratch Djs, and you'll see their technique.

In additional to a turntable and a DJ mixer - you'll need a slipmat (to slide the vinyl on the platter) - a set of headphones - and a decent scratch needle. All can be found easily online in the "DJ" section of the big music websites.

Then you got to get yourself some DJ records, with breakbeats, tones, samples, acapellas, etc... to have some material to scratch. Most of the vinyl that scratch DJs use are specifically made for scratch DJs...not casual listening.

In the age of digital turntables...I give you credit for staying with vinyl! Good luck!
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_lo View Post
Technics 1200 is the industry standard turntable, although there are some DJ oriented decks from the other DJ companies (Ventax, Numark). But a 1200, or something in that series is a safe bet, as it will run forever. I have 2 from the 1980's that run like new, and have never been serviced.

As far as a mixer, you need a DJ or "battle" style mixer so you can "work" the crossfader. When scratching, it's all about the coordination between your scratch hand on the vinyl, and "juggling" the crossfader, to hear / mute your scratch patterns. Getting 2 turntables gives you options of going back and forth between 2 records, and keeping a beat going while changing your scratch record. Watch some You Tube video for battle / scratch Djs, and you'll see their technique.

In additional to a turntable and a DJ mixer - you'll need a slipmat (to slide the vinyl on the platter) - a set of headphones - and a decent scratch needle. All can be found easily online in the "DJ" section of the big music websites.

Then you got to get yourself some DJ records, with breakbeats, tones, samples, acapellas, etc... to have some material to scratch. Most of the vinyl that scratch DJs use are specifically made for scratch DJs...not casual listening.

In the age of digital turntables...I give you credit for staying with vinyl! Good luck!
Thank you so much!
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear maniac

QFO
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear nut

vestax pdx 2000 is what qbert uses, i use it and i definitely prefer it over technics - u have +- 60% pitch so u can do some crazy shit and there is start/stop brake timing so u can control how long the power up/power down noise is. The platter feels less sluggish than technics but thats a matter of preference.

Pick up serato so you can add scratches to your productions and scratch recorded vocals
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Head

How did DJ Premier add the Scratched hooks to his songs?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear addict

Turntable

The Technics 1210 M5G is the new high end turntable that meets all the big name DJ's riders. Before AM died that is all he would use. Vice, Ruckus and numerous other request this model from us specifically.

One caveat is that you must remove the thick, rubber mat on the turntable deck and just use slip mats to scratch with any amount of ease.

The audio quality, skating and general feel of a new, high end yet Non Digital turntable is what appeals to most DJ's.

Just make sure it is grounded correctly!
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Either this

Or Technics.

Otherwise go Direct Drive and sh*t loads of torque.
Old 4th September 2010
Gear maniac

Gee-Lo... or anyone else...

Could you please recommend any good DJ records of just breakbeats & accapellas?
Old 4th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotless Complex View Post
What do you mean by that?
It was a joke.

1200s for life.
Old 4th September 2010
Lives for gear

1200s for sure if you got enough dough; if not, the numark tt500 is a good bet, it has the most torque i could find in a turntable when i had it ( i think even more than the 1200s) thier like 299 or 399; ive had trouble finding them still for sale though, you might be able to get a used one.

also the dj mixer, be sure to get one with good faders!
Old 4th September 2010
Gear interested

I gots Vestax pdx 3000's and pmc05pro3 + traktor scratch. Love 'em.... thumbsup
Old 5th September 2010
Gear interested

good old 1200's can be got so cheap these days , craigslist here in atl had a set with a cheap battle mixer and a coffin for 500 last week .
and the scratch needles will run you 100 each but are worth it , theyll stay in the groove better than say a dance music stylus and are much more rugged but dont sound as good , so theres a tradeoff there
Old 7th September 2010
Gear interested

1200's.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
The Technics 1210 M5G is the new high end turntable that meets all the big name DJ's riders. Before AM died that is all he would use. Vice, Ruckus and numerous other request this model from us specifically.
i can't believe someone referenced AM's name on a scratching thread.
Old 7th September 2010
Gear maniac

Maybe you've only seen him entertain packed clubs on you tube, but he was able to cut in his bedroom just fine.

To the OP.... grab a 1200 a decent mixer and Serato. And before all the "purists" bash, it will be great for you to be able to cut up you're own vocals, songs, or anything else that's not on vinyl. People that haven't switched or that aren't open to the idea are just afraid of change.

I have a friend that DJ's overseas on a regular basis, and still takes 4 flight case of records. I asked him why and he replied that the promoters get excited when he comes in with all those records..... Yawn.

I have a storage space full of vinyl.... For Sale
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

My vote is 1200's although I've got to say, the top of the line Stanton is pretty damn good (and I'm no Stanton fan!).

Mixer wise, the 2 biggies that ppl use are the Rane 56 or the Vestex PMC Pro06 or the PMC05. The new PMC05 mk 4 looks pretty sweet as well
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Technics SL-1200
Vestax PDX-3000
Stanton ST-150
Numark TTXUSB
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

classic option is 1210 but for scratching i'd rather go for the vestax pdx series as it's got more torque and a bit more responsive.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search