best soft synth for hip hop production? (plug-in)
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear maniac

best soft synth for hip hop production? (plug-in)

Hey, recently I've been using synth plug ins to try to find a good sound for producing. My problem is a lot of the plug-ins I have seem to bit a bit too hardcore for the hip hop production. I mean there are loads of synth plug ins (I seem to have all of them) which are really dance orientated but just arn't soft enough for hip hop.

Can someone recommend a good soft synth which is still big but not too dancy. I know loads of producers use soft synth, I saw an interview recently with cool & dre and they said they had loads of plug ins which were soft synths. I'm thinking where are all these plug ins !!

Anyone I appreciate any advice

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folb695 View Post
Hey, recently I've been using synth plug ins to try to find a good sound for producing. My problem is a lot of the plug-ins I have seem to bit a bit too hardcore for the hip hop production. I mean there are loads of synth plug ins (I seem to have all of them) which are really dance orientated but just arn't soft enough for hip hop.

Can someone recommend a good soft synth which is still big but not too dancy. I know loads of producers use soft synth, I saw an interview recently with cool & dre and they said they had loads of plug ins which were soft synths. I'm thinking where are all these plug ins !!

Anyone I appreciate any advice

Thanks
You have`ALL of them?
Which ones do you have and are they"legal"
It DOES make a difference whether or not the plugins are cracked or legel
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Thats just the answer Ive been looking for

Last edited by GS moderation; 29th December 2010 at 03:11 AM..
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

lol
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Dude this is a community where many of the people that make the software and softsynths visits. I understand that for kids it is hard to find usuable things but that is the reason this site exist. The stock reason app has sooooooooooooooo many available sounds and samples that one could make pretty much anything with it. The fact that you come here and say you have all the plug-ins tells everyone that:

1. You are addicted to stealing.
2. You have no idea what you are doing and expect the synth to do it for you.
3. You have no respect for the companies that make the software.

Stop broadcasting your un-lawful ways and realize if you do then put on your flame suit. I believe you owe the community an apology and if you can not see the error in the above posting then there is no hope for you.

Last edited by GS moderation; 29th December 2010 at 03:11 AM..
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear maniac

no actually it doesn't if this is a community for sharing it is a community for people to share their opinions and helpful advice. This is not an exclusive club for people who think their high and mighty and know more about production that the rest of us measly people who are just learning. So if it is a community, as you say it is then its for anyone. So, my question is A, completely valid and b, should be treated with the same respect as a member of the forum who has been using the site for years. If I have said something completely stupid I apologize and maybe you could help on my road to recovery. Thanks you
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
no actually it doesn't if this is a community for sharing it is a community for people to share their opinions and helpful advice. This is not an exclusive club for people who think their high and mighty and know more about production that the rest of us measly people who are just learning. So if it is a community, as you say it is then its for anyone. So, my question is A, completely valid and b, should be treated with the same respect as a member of the forum who has been using the site for years. If I have said something completely stupid I apologize and maybe you could help on my road to recovery. Thanks you
maybe you should get rid of all our pirated softsynths, save up and buy wahtever synth, sit down and actually learn how to use the kit and dig deep into its guts

and if you read up on synth programming you can make whatever type of sound you want on any synth

plus i find that if you invest your hard earned money into tools, you would really feel the obligation to know everything and anything about the tool and how to use it

sometimes having everything gets you nowhere
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
This is insulting regardless of your age.

Stealing software, music, etc. is not acceptable.

Last edited by GS moderation; 29th December 2010 at 03:12 AM..
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Pretty impressive that you have the word "pedantic" in your active vocabulary at just 13. In context, its presence was like a rose in concrete.
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear addict

Lol, Lrmusic

And for our 13 year old: Just get Reason for a couple of bucks and learn from there. Remove all of your pirated warezz. You don't seem to understand that this is a forum, mostly visited by people whoe get THEIR songs pirated. So pirating software and/or music isn't something that's gonna fly here, regardless of age or social status. Better watch your tongue and your temper... Philly asked a legit question and your reaction is totally inappropiate.

So there. Your apology is accepted and your road to recovery is stated above.
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Learn to make your own sounds insted.

No such this as a specific Synth for hip hop , I´ve heard Moog , Nexus , VirusTI in recent hip hop tracks.
Old 2nd June 2010
Quote:
My problem is a lot of the plug-ins I have seem to bit a bit too hardcore for the hip hop production. I mean there are loads of synth plug ins (I seem to have all of them) which are really dance orientated but just arn't soft enough for hip hop.
...why would hip-hop need "soft" sounds?

To each his own I guess. I like it hardcore.
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I have said something completely stupid I apologize and maybe you could help on my road to recovery. Thanks you
That's a good start. There is a host of free stuff out there that sounds great. Really, invest in Reason, you might even qualify for the accademic version which is substationally discounted. There are hundreds and hundreds of free refills out there but once you start learning how to create your own sounds by eq'ing, envelopes, resonance, etc...the world will open up for ya!

Good Luck!

P.S. You owe one person a personal apology and maybe you should PM him?......
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

lol, try emu proteus vx. It's free and it rocks for hip-hop and softer sounds.
Old 6th June 2010
Gear maniac

go here
KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), DirectX (DX), Universal Binary Compatibility - Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community
the site has tons of info on free softsyths and what works well
most important makes sure the hosting software you use FL Studio,cubase ect. is not pirated .. they usually don't work right and you won't get far..so if you're strapped for cash look for the acedemic versions or LE versions of programs around $100 to $200 get yourself a paper route ...summer job..whatever.. get some stuff for birthday presents,christmas..
have your parents cop you a MIDI keyboard controller....
go to www.tweakheadz.com and learn some things...this site is not really for newbies more for ppl who have general knowledge of audio production/engineering and just want some opinions or want to discuss workflow and mainly gear...

FL Studio is cheap but powerful and you can get a lifetime update package

young man these production community sites are harsh.. because we get what's the best hip hop synth thread every other day.. it doesn't seem ppl read the stickly thread at the top of it forum subpage.. saying use the search button...

so the best thing is to do at your age is get FL Studio some free but powerful vsts... and study this stuff like its an assignment from school here a link that I set up for ppl just like you
oh and check out Reaper super,super,super powerful and fully functional for free but soon as you can buy a registion ...

A great FP link for newbies IMO - Future Producers

over at www.futureproducers.com get with obitheincredible about reaper
Future Producers - View Profile: Obitheincredible
see most will flame you up real quick instead of stearing someone in the right direction.. see I read and read and read on link,recording mags,electronic musicians mags. and took hed to what ppl said as using the search function...
but hey we all need help so young man I hope you take hed to this information and get cracking on studying production/audio engineering..and you know what it can get expensive quick but buying a MIDI keyboard at walmart as long as it has MIDI in and out will work.. buy small learn and then spend when you know what you're doing.
I have been at this for about 10 years now and now I'm about to pour out $40k on a studio equipment I won't do that off top ...learn the trade before that lolppl stop beating up the newbies lol
Old 28th December 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
lmfao you let him have it lol

Last edited by GS moderation; 29th December 2010 at 03:12 AM..
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll hows about this why are you taking out the fact that your a failed producer who never made it, by going around on forums taking pride in acting like a pedantic little ****.
Failed producer?... Too funny!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

When I was 13 there were no softsynths. We just had to go without.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Failed producer?... Too funny!
Haha

Love this thread

(dammit where's the popcorn smiley?? )
Old 29th December 2010
Gear interested

In 1986 , I had a 4 track cassette recorder , a cheap guitar and a Casio keyboard from a pawnshop.

made tons of demo tracks with that...

now I have way more but don't feel like doing anything
Old 30th December 2010
Gear addict

Man I have the same problem sometimes,...
in 1990 I had an Atari 1040st, a Roland Juno, A digitech guitar effects thing, a yamaha drumcomputer and a Fostex 4 track.
All day long we spend recording the most amazing stuff,.....

Today I have $30,000 of gear in a project studio(including software)

I can walk in and create the sickest shit,...stuff I couldn't imagine doing 10 years ago but sometimes I all I track is garbage and I throw everything away after a 10 hours session,......

I keep spending days tweaking a softsynth only to throw my mastered wavs in the recycle bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushinSteele View Post
In 1986 , I had a 4 track cassette recorder , a cheap guitar and a Casio keyboard from a pawnshop.

Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Maaaaan, why'd the moderators have to take out all the good stuff?

Just lock the thread and ban the dude, but don't take out all the entertainment!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Man I hear that.

I sold off a bunch of soft synths as I was spending more time tweaking and learning the most from them than I was writing music. I cut back my studio and went hardware ... gear that won't really compete with Komplete and nexus really.. I guess.. but thats where the fun is.. its about music now and I only have a couple VSTi's.

... I do on occasion DL a demo.. check it out.. tweak it and if I like what I hear............................sample it tutt
Old 30th December 2010
Gear interested

I've already ditched my favorite guitar amp emulator...if I can't get it with a sm57 in front of my Blues Junior combo (w/ a few pedals) then I don't need it....

Too many choices can lead to too much time thinking about your choices...

I find myself playing worse especially midi keys because I know I can fix the midi notes with a mouse...sad! sad! sad!

Seems like the more ram and power I add to my computer to handle it all , the less I use it..
Old 30th December 2010
Gear maniac

Once you start paying for the tools you use you will start appreciating yourself as a musician. I've been warez free for almost 2 years now. thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushinSteele View Post

yup thats how it is but you were younger with less finacial burdons
Old 30th December 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Pretty impressive that you have the word "pedantic" in your active vocabulary at just 13. In context, its presence was like a rose in concrete.
lol im sure he heard it in that family guy episode
"lois, i find this meal to be shallow & pedantic"
Old 30th December 2010
Gear nut

For bass? S900 test program! Thats software right?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Maaaaan, why'd the moderators have to take out all the good stuff?

Just lock the thread and ban the dude, but don't take out all the entertainment!
Agreed! I'm intrigued by what was cut out. pm anyone?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

He probably posted links to his VST/VSTi library via .ru
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search