SPDIF out on certain turntables
New Reply
Subscribe
topshotta
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

SPDIF out on certain turntables

I'm trying to figure out ways to minimize my setup, and since I'm 100% sample based my main thing is turntable + records + mpc 2500.

I've been looking at some of these new age turntables with SPDIF out and I'm wondering what the quality is like coming out of them, being that you get no control over gain or EQ.

This would also make it easy to start archive my records for serato use, but I'm a little worried about quality here.

thanks!
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to unklryan Send a message via Skype™ to unklryan
I went through the same thing when I backed up all my crates to digital format. I just used my technics 1200, still industry standard, and ran everything through a pioneer djm 600. I ran everything into protools, so I could bump up levels, and use noise reduction programs to get rid of unwanted pops and his, ( they seemed to be more amplified once converted to digital versus playing through a stylus ) .

As far as SPDIF out for Sampling, you will have a higher sample rate, but if your going to be chopping parts to load into an MPC I would definately use an Eq of some sort, which most Dj mixers do not have SPDIF in.
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear maniac

Vinyls are analog. Having a SPDIF out of a turntable means that the phono preamp and the A/D (analog to digital conversion) will be done by a turntable. That means that this one turntable are doing the job of a turntable, a phono pre-amp (or a mixer) and a A/D (or a audio interface). Probably this one turntable won´t do nothing of this at a decent level, not even the turntable job.
I doubt that there is any turntable that can have at least a decent phono pre-amp and specially a decent AD converter.
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

yeah i wouldn't go digital. the usb tables i've seen are of low quality. maybe in 5+ years there'll be some higher end ones with decent converters, but i'd invest that money in a decent table and phono pre. check the needle doctor online.
topshotta
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear interested

yeah it always seemed to good to be true, i think i'll stick to my 1200 + rane for sampling and recording, it does seem like a gamble to give up gain and eq control before recording, esp if you want to bump up the low end or cut out some highs, etc..

thumbsup

anyone actually tried SPDIF out of those stanton t.92 or equivalent?
19th March 2010
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Like everyone said, you basically loose the ability to pick and choose your phono preamp and converters. Though I haven't used one, I would consider this as an alternative-http://www.zzounds.com/item--RADJ33

This will give you a supposadly good phono preamp in a small package, unlike a good DJ mixer. Then just send the output to your mpc.

My oppinion, SPDIF really is only useful in two circumstance. The first is when you are using something digital, and want to record to something else digital. This bypasses an unecessary conversion. Some people do this with their MPC for example to not have the signal go from digital, to analog, then back to digital (and played back again through speakers analog).

The other place it is useful is when you want to bypass supbar converters wtih better ones. If you have a crappy interface but like it for some reason, you may decide to use better converters so that your crappy interface isn't doing the conversion (could be in, out, or both).

Basically, it usually isn't a great idea on cheap stuff when that becomes the converter. You bypass your mpc's converters that most people consider good, for poor ones. This is universal though, I wouldn't use a $300 preamp with spdif out over the analog if my converters were anything but the bottom of the barrel.
topshotta
19th March 2010
Old 19th March 2010
Gear interested

thank you i appreciate your input, and what you say makes sense

this preamp definitely worth looking into plus it's "Made In Canada"

I tend to track my beats out in Logic via SPDIF, it is more time consuming (1 track at a time) but I figure if it's digital inside the mpc and and digital in the computer, why not bypass the unnecessary conversions. Is there any downfalls to this method?
19th March 2010
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshotta View Post
I tend to track my beats out in Logic via SPDIF, it is more time consuming (1 track at a time) but I figure if it's digital inside the mpc and and digital in the computer, why not bypass the unnecessary conversions. Is there any downfalls to this method?
You can do two mono tracks at once by panning one all the way left, the other all the way right btw. Makes things quicker if you have a lot of mono tracks (drums for instance). That assumes you don't mind redoing any panning you already have or wait to pan your drums after tracking.

Some people will say that bypassing the mpc's D/A converter, you don't get the whole/true/phatttt azz mpc sound. This is kind of true as you do bypass it. But, unless you are running it through high end converters, you will loose soundquality and have to re eq it just to make it sound the same as it did off the MPC. You also can't run it though nice analog gear. You will get a nice, clean sound that is easy to mix and will most likely sound almost the same when you are done mixing, if not unnoticeable. So yeah, I would say its fine. I used to do it on my 1000 but switched to analog, only because the convience of the 8 outs. Again, after mixing, it's hard to even tell though, unless you got really bad converters when you do it analog.
topshotta
20th March 2010
Old 20th March 2010
Gear interested

word up!

when i get some spare time i'm going to test spdif vs the 8 outs, I do have a motu ultralite so really it would be quicker going analog..

thanks again.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search