Song/hits made with Reason and Fruity Loops
#61
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
  #61
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
i was just reading about owl city (Adam Young) using reason in an interview and his setup is so simple and having that said, he's crushing all of you! dfegad ... jk but he's pretty good..

You can write with anything. Anything that works for you and that is fast for you. Yes the samples might of been used from reason. Also a good chance they got replaced at mix. How much of the "sound" do you really think was left. Once it was tracked out of reason and mixed. Not like he is doing everything himself and it stays in reason until being released. For the record I have nothing against Reason, I personally don't care what program people make beats in. But it cracks me up when I hear people post about an artist's writing rig and some how that relates to the sound (audio quality) of the released product.
#62
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
  #62
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebzer View Post
I've remade beats from Reason to 2kxl and I can tell 101% that they are different like day from night.

When remade on the 2kxl, every element of the track sounded way more separated and clear and especially the drums sounded much more controlled and crispy, without that annoying clipping.
The Reason Sampler is not as good as most people think. If you're working with samples and change the pitch even as little as 3 semi-tones, its going to sound like crap.
#63
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
  #63
Gear addict
 

i was kidding about the Reason thing but i would have never guessed because the sounds didn't sound like Reason sounds lol. so yeah i am also assuming post production was done and a good mixer did it. and the tracks are quite thin but very well composed.
#64
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
  #64
Lives for gear
 
azwun25's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebzer View Post
It's all about knowing how to do certain things.
This is the most simple statement yet so true.
#65
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
i was kidding about the Reason thing but i would have never guessed because the sounds didn't sound like Reason sounds lol. so yeah i am also assuming post production was done and a good mixer did it. and the tracks are quite thin but very well composed.
John Goodmanson (of Deathcab fame) mixed Ocean Eyes. He's using a lot of spatial tricks to get the finished sound, but the sample choice and composition has to be pretty strong to get an end product like that without replacement. The compression still seems to be overkill even for a charting record if you ask me.. Makes it all very hard to listen to.

Owl City endorses propellerheads. Somebody's using Reason...
#66
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
  #66
Gear maniac
 
keylay's Avatar
 

I don't know what all the arguing is about. When I listen to my favorite Frank Sinatra Album it clearly was done in FL studio. Frank was anti Pro Tools, and Logic. We had a long conversation about it on his cell phone in 1965.
#67
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
  #67
Gear addict
 
rhythmic5's Avatar
 

so any other "Song/hits made with Reason and Fruity Loops" that could be contributed?
#68
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
  #68
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylay View Post
I don't know what all the arguing is about. When I listen to my favorite Frank Sinatra Album it clearly was done in FL studio. Frank was anti Pro Tools, and Logic. We had a long conversation about it on his cell phone in 1965.
That would make a great sig line.
#69
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
  #69
Gear maniac
 
Wally's Avatar
every hit thats out there.
#70
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
  #70
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Money View Post
You can write with anything. Anything that works for you and that is fast for you. Yes the samples might of been used from reason. Also a good chance they got replaced at mix. How much of the "sound" do you really think was left. Once it was tracked out of reason and mixed. Not like he is doing everything himself and it stays in reason until being released. For the record I have nothing against Reason, I personally don't care what program people make beats in. But it cracks me up when I hear people post about an artist's writing rig and some how that relates to the sound (audio quality) of the released product.
I would say they didn't get replaced at mix. Listen to his previous work - he was a one man operation until Ocean Eyes. He may have used some stock Reason samples, but not a whole lot of em.

People say he uses a vocoder, too. I don't get it. If you massively overpronounce your words (hello Ben Gibbard) and tune the hell out of the recording, that's pretty close to Young's singing. People seriously think it's some type of overcomplicated process???

Clean out the wax in those ears.
a k
#71
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #71
a k
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic5 View Post
so any other "Song/hits made with Reason and Fruity Loops" that could be contributed?
that r kelly and bow wow song.... imma flirt. i'm pretty sure they used the sitar patch and hip hop lead. could be wrong though cause i haven't listened to that song since before i started using reason

j.r rotem also uses reason quite a bit. songs like "don't pinch me" and "808" by qwote, "strenght" by james fauntleroy and many others sound like they were produced in reason...
#72
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #72
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
 

if reason is so thin how can dj khalil joints knock??????!!!!!!!!!!!! we always see "it sounds thin" but what many fail to realize is that the consumer don't know squat about all that, they want catchy good music. and ill be damn if software can sound good. theres too many songs that use it that sound super hot. u can make a motif sound like garbage if u dont know how to creative music. now seal that thread on up
#73
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #73
Gear addict
 

"knock" = drums --> reason = untarnished

the synth sounds are usually thin. though there are some good refills with that full warm sound...
#74
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
"knock" = drums --> reason = untarnished

the synth sounds are usually thin. though there are some good refills with that full warm sound...
If someone chooses a thin sound to work with, thats their fault.

If theyre not smart enough to add some EQ to fatten it, then theyre in the wrong line of work and should give up on music.

Reason sounds are thin to people who really cant make music and thats the bottom line. There too many wanna-be's out there who think they need the most expensive VSTi plug-ins to sound good.

All sounds in Reason are like matches and gasoline soaked rags. If you cant make a fire.....youre an idiot and should just give up. Sorry to be harsh, but its very true. If someone hasnt laid it out to you like that before, they were just being nice to you.
#75
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #75
Gear addict
 

oh yeah?
#76
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #76
Gear maniac
 

Quick question: what kind of chisel did Michaelangelo use to carve the David?

Anybody know?

More importantly, anybody CARE?

It's not the tools, it's the talent. A real musician can make a good track using a rewired Speak & Spell, two plastic cups and a ball of string...if he's so inclined. Conversely, a moron with $20k to blow on Pro Tools HD, a ton of synths and a bunch of other gear and toys...is still just a moron.
#77
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #77
www.KevWestBeats.com
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilaw View Post
Quick question: what kind of chisel did Michaelangelo use to carve the David?
CHISEL! I always thought Michelangelo had nunchucks!

#78
29th December 2009
Old 29th December 2009
  #78
Gear Head
 

I have been a long time user of Fruity Loops. I am talking since like 1999 when it had no piano roll or really any features except loading samples and some rough midi capabilities. Some people can notice something made in FL for a couple of reasons. One the synths in FL are very distinct and most people use the same presets. Two most people use the same drum samples and rarely do any filtering (Newbies, I know I was one). Also the default template adds compression and limiting to the master bus which gives the tracks in FL Studio an in your face sound. I eventually left FL alone because I got tired of exporting each track one by one to mix in another daw and I have never like the recording setup.
#79
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #79
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
a lot of people have made hits with both. from what i hear polow da don swears by fruity loops
For the record Polo may use Fruity Loops but it is on his Niko.........

R Kelly's "Echo" was done with FL by my friend Infinity.

Here in Atlanta FL, Reason and Logic are the main creation tools, David Banner has even jumped to Logic.
#80
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

I find the 2%milk vst plugin goes very well with my fruity loops. Very crunchy low end.
#81
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #81
Lives for gear
 

A lot of false ideas in here.... plus a lot more "industry" tracks were made on Fl studio...
Some you very probably loved
Anyway, those really making money out of it don't care...
#82
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #82
Gear nut
 
trill's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1music View Post
the consumer don't know squat about all that, they want catchy good music
this^

Forget everything else
#83
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Exactly, and if you can't hear the low-end, it's possibly because of a lack of proper DA converter, lack of proper mixing skills and lack of talent at producing. I would never blame a DAW for Helping/Ruining my sound. At the end of the day, I'm the only reason why the songs are good or bad, not the daw.

Tons of electro-house songs are done in FL, and the songs are bass heavy, present, punchy. It's really how you manipulate your work and how you use OTB and ITB tools.



That's impossible... A DAW doesn't affect the quality of the sound, only the workflow.
reason sounds grainy. i dont care what anyone says. i know what i hear..
#84
30th December 2009
Old 30th December 2009
  #84
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
reason sounds grainy. i dont care what anyone says. i know what i hear..
Grainy? That's not something I've noticed. I do have issues with the EQ and some of the effects when I export, it never quite seems to sound exactly the way it sounds in Reason when I export it as a WAV file. But grainy wouldn't have been the term I used. Are you talking about dithering artifacts?

BTW, this track was done entirely within Reason, other than a few minor tweaks to the WAV file in Audacity: Slow Roll

Any problems with the sound I would attribute more to my own issues with using Reason, not to anything inherently "wrong" with Reason.
#85
31st December 2009
Old 31st December 2009
  #85
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilaw View Post
Grainy? That's not something I've noticed. I do have issues with the EQ and some of the effects when I export, it never quite seems to sound exactly the way it sounds in Reason when I export it as a WAV file. But grainy wouldn't have been the term I used. Are you talking about dithering artifacts?

BTW, this track was done entirely within Reason, other than a few minor tweaks to the WAV file in Audacity: Slow Roll

Any problems with the sound I would attribute more to my own issues with using Reason, not to anything inherently "wrong" with Reason.
Reason does not sound grainy by any stretch of the imagination or it wouldn't have got past version 1.0. This is likely a kid with internet access and bad speakers talking. Pay no mind

Zing!!! lol
#86
31st December 2009
Old 31st December 2009
  #86
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Reason does not sound grainy by any stretch of the imagination or it wouldn't have got past version 1.0. This is likely a kid with internet access and bad speakers talking. Pay no mind

Zing!!! lol
Nah, I don't think Sirocco's issue is lack of good speakers. He is, after all, a sound designer (among other gigs).

I am curious as to whether Sirocco thinks the track I linked to sounds grainy or not. Go ahead, bash the mix (I'm not Bob Clearmountain over here, I know my mixes are subject to all sorts of crits).
#87
31st December 2009
Old 31st December 2009
  #87
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
 

i produced this is reason sometime back
Attached Files
File Type: m4a 02 bloodpressure.m4a (3.24 MB, 258 views)
#88
31st December 2009
Old 31st December 2009
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilaw View Post
Nah, I don't think Sirocco's issue is lack of good speakers. He is, after all, a sound designer (among other gigs).

I am curious as to whether Sirocco thinks the track I linked to sounds grainy or not. Go ahead, bash the mix (I'm not Bob Clearmountain over here, I know my mixes are subject to all sorts of crits).
i think the rendering engine is grainy. this is from personal a/b comparisons i did a few years back, when malstrom was first introduced. it may have changed since then. i am a audio engineer of 10 years and use headphones and amps worth well over 2,000 dollars in cost -- I pay to hear the truth.
#89
31st December 2009
Old 31st December 2009
  #89
Gear maniac
 
keylay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
I find the 2%milk vst plugin goes very well with my fruity loops. Very crunchy low end.
That made me laugh.
#90
1st January 2010
Old 1st January 2010
  #90
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
i think the rendering engine is grainy. this is from personal a/b comparisons i did a few years back, when malstrom was first introduced. it may have changed since then. i am a audio engineer of 10 years and use headphones and amps worth well over 2,000 dollars in cost -- I pay to hear the truth.
Fair enough. What did you think of the track? Grainy?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mikemillinator / So much gear, so little time!
0
nymortgagepro / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
22
rhythmic5 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
6
Lawrence / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.