Best Way to Sample Drum - MPC or DAW
New Reply
Subscribe
CJ1973
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Best Way to Sample Drum - MPC or DAW

IF was to sample a kick or snare drum from a CD with old songs, what would be the best way, based on the options i have?

1. Import as .wav or .aiff into daw (cubase/PT) and just cut up each sound? Then process the sound with plugins
2. Play out of a CD player into my MPC60, record, edit the sound and then save it onto a disk on MPC60 and play from there.
3. Play out of CD onto a Neve 1073, API EQ, and then onto an MPC60.

Please note that I use the MPC as mostly a playback as I am quicker on the DAW Cubase in sequencing, so use CUbase as my primary sequencer.

I guess I am trying to work out if I would lose quality by importing a sound onto the DAW rather than playing it into the MPC and then editing on that.

Thanks,
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

If I had a sample from a CD that I wanted to work with, I'd straight import it as a file onto my computer and work with it ITB. Best workflow for me (what do you feel is the best workflow for you = the solution you gotta use).

You can always process the sound as needed in the mixing stage.
CJ1973
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

True but my issue is the fact that the MPC does convert the sound to a different 12bit type. The MPC60 that is. This makes the sound very crunchy if you want to call it. So to sample to MPC through a Neve and then have a slightly different sound, wouldnt it be better than straight import to the box and then cutting up? Or maybe straight import would not diminish the quality in anyway right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
If I had a sample from a CD that I wanted to work with, I'd straight import it as a file onto my computer and work with it ITB. Best workflow for me (what do you feel is the best workflow for you = the solution you gotta use).

You can always process the sound as needed in the mixing stage.
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
Gear nut

if you gonna record or import your samples straight into your daw and work from there, i guess you dont need a mpc right?
wreckingstuff
5th October 2009
Old 5th October 2009
wreckingstuff

Try it in every configuration you can think of, then see which you like the most maybe?

Maybe see about getting the thing you want to sample on vinyl too?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search