Off Beat Breaks In Hit Songs
New Reply
Subscribe
Raj Smoove
8th September 2009
Old 8th September 2009
Gear addict

Off Beat Breaks In Hit Songs

Maybe it's by choice, maybe it's lack of quality control, but there have been a few songs out nationally that fall off beat i've noticed.

1. On Mario's "Break Up" about halfway thru the song where they do the reverse reverb effect to bring the verse in the 1 doesn't drop in on beat. I thought i was trippin mixing in the club cause my blend fell all the way off but there is a noticeable delay in the song.

2. On Beyonce's "Diva", the change ups don't line up. Its almost as if they approximated the cuts in slip mode and edited it together. That one may be a quantizing thing in the programming and bangladesh wanted it like that.

3. Dr. Dre "Next Episode", Nate Dogg's Hold Up Hey solo at the end drops in very randomly. Like they did it at the last hour and had the ME drop it in and he just effed it up.

I don't know, they're all great songs and it obviously didn't stop any of em from being a hit but it seemed odd to me and i wondered if I was the only one that noticed it
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove View Post
Maybe it's by choice, maybe it's lack of quality control, but there have been a few songs out nationally that fall off beat i've noticed.

1. On Mario's "Break Up" about halfway thru the song where they do the reverse reverb effect to bring the verse in the 1 doesn't drop in on beat. I thought i was trippin mixing in the club cause my blend fell all the way off but there is a noticeable delay in the song.

2. On Beyonce's "Diva", the change ups don't line up. Its almost as if they approximated the cuts in slip mode and edited it together. That one may be a quantizing thing in the programming and bangladesh wanted it like that.

3. Dr. Dre "Next Episode", Nate Dogg's Hold Up Hey solo at the end drops in very randomly. Like they did it at the last hour and had the ME drop it in and he just effed it up.

I don't know, they're all great songs and it obviously didn't stop any of em from being a hit but it seemed odd to me and i wondered if I was the only one that noticed it
Yea...Bangledesh does his on purpose....for a certain "feel".....that guy is weird, so is his music....i like it though
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

Off beat to you may be rhythmic to another. I hate static, overly quantized griddled beats they the radio is full of today. What's the difference between off beat and swing.............nothing.
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

In " ICE BOX " by Omarion and Timbaland the drum loop goes off beat at the end of the 8 bar loop. It is very cool and just works perfectly !
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Most of the time its done on purpose "for effect and feel"
Other times its sloppy editing.
Sometimes a real drummer may be used for fills and crashes and he may not be "perfect", as is the case with human beings playing along with a robotic feel.
But usually,its purposely done.
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Gear maniac

Like Philly said, it's probably done on purpose most of the time, but for some reason it makes me feel awkward when the timing isn't "right".
9th September 2009
Old 9th September 2009
Gear interested

I love off the grid!
Ban quantize I say!
Raj Smoove
10th September 2009
Old 10th September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSV View Post
Like Philly said, it's probably done on purpose most of the time, but for some reason it makes me feel awkward when the timing isn't "right".
Its just a bitch djing in the club and in the middle of a mix all the snares get thrown off and it sounds like a train wreck as far as the blend is concerned. im glad bang is getting his shine though. i liked a lot of the stuff he did on kelis last project.

I remember back in the early 90s we hated busted loops . and clicks as well. it would drive me up a wall. i'd trim up one number at a time (all my old asr 10 heads kno what im talking about) just to get that pop off the end of my sample.
10th September 2009
Old 10th September 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Its just a bitch djing in the club and in the middle of a mix all the snares get thrown off and it sounds like a train wreck as far as the blend is concerned. im glad bang is getting his shine though. i liked a lot of the stuff he did on kelis last project.

I remember back in the early 90s we hated busted loops . and clicks as well. it would drive me up a wall. i'd trim up one number at a time (all my old asr 10 heads kno what im talking about) just to get that pop off the end of my sample.
I could see how that could completely **** up a set, LOL! I have this image in my head of the set going completely of beat, the music stops (insert obligatory record scratch for effect), everyone in the club slowly turns and stares in your direction, night ruined, cry yourself to sleep...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search