Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

500 pre for a u87

I have a GR 500nv, I know the u87 is a dark mic. Would the Ma5 or P-1 be a better choice for this mic?
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

the u87 aint really a dark mic, it's a mic with an edge in the upper mids. It's just darker than ultra bright mics a la c800g. (note I did use the u87 on numerous occasions, never tried the c800g, I'm just repeating what I've been reading here and there, in my experience the u87 is far from dark)

here's a feq response curve for the u87

GR pres are meant to be nice "neveish" pres, I would rather add a nice valve compressor to that chain and nice AD instead of another pre.
Old 31st August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
I have a GR 500nv, I know the u87 is a dark mic. Would the Ma5 or P-1 be a better choice for this mic?
The word "dark" has never come to my mind while using an 87. Particularly the newer ones.

In fact, when using the newer ones, the thought that most often comes to mind is "ice picks scraping down a chalk board". Or, like, y'know, somethin' along those lines.

That upper midrange HURTS.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
The word "dark" has never come to my mind while using an 87. Particularly the newer ones.

In fact, when using the newer ones, the thought that most often comes to mind is "ice picks scraping down a chalk board". Or, like, y'know, somethin' along those lines.

Yep. The old ones aren't exactly shy past 2k either.
Old 1st September 2009
Quote:
I think the problem is not the tools, it's the person using the tools.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually,the U87 is a burnished silver.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post

It hertz allright... between 5 and 7 "KILL-o hertz" ouch..mufukka!!
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

deleted to save aggravation

Last edited by azwun25; 1st September 2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: rather not jump in the fray..god im starting to hate this forum
Old 7th September 2009
Gear addict

I just got a p1. made my U87 sound like a completely different mic.
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove View Post
I just got a p1. made my U87 sound like a completely different mic.
Hopefully in a good way, yes? Mosdef use the P1's pad.
Old 8th September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Hopefully in a good way, yes? Mosdef use the P1's pad.
In a very positive way thumbsup It smoothed it out. Made it less harsh. MA5 is next on my list to try out.
Old 9th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Actually,the U87 is a burnished silver.
i have a black one...as well as 2 silver
Old 9th September 2009

The MA5 is the best vocal preamp for the 500 series and pairs well with the U87 (which is not a dark microphone BTW). API's are also great... but, generally I prefer the Neve style, hence the MA5 recommendation.
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

The JLM TG500 would be a mad match.

The impedence knob is killer.
Old 9th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
The JLM TG500 would be a mad match.

The ideal impedance is between 1000-1500 ohms for 90% of the mics out there. Loading a mics output to get a different sound (like some of the preamps on the market with impedance selectors) is not a good way to alter sound.

Moving the microphone an inch instead is.

Aside from that, EQ's can allow you to alter the sound any way you want. Which is a more preferable method of signal altering.

Messing around with impedances is not a good method, IMO.
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dark COULD depend, is it an OLD U87 with original capsule? Then IT could be darker than a newer one due to age, maintenance, environment ect...
Plus an older U87 is more subjectable to loading, prefers that 1.5K input impedance AND for it to be linear, less loading at the higher frequencies...Something Most rarely mention...
So that means a Neve WILL sound darker for two reasons...
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

in the 500 series the ma5 is my top pick with the U87. or any mic for that matter!
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The ideal impedance is between 1000-1500 ohms for 90% of the mics out there. Loading a mics output to get a different sound (like some of the preamps on the market with impedance selectors) is not a good way to alter sound.

Moving the microphone an inch instead is.

Aside from that, EQ's can allow you to alter the sound any way you want. Which is a more preferable method of signal altering.

Messing around with impedances is not a good method, IMO.
With regards to MICs. I don't generally use the impedence knob.

With regards to the DI's and tracking I always use the Impedence knob.

Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The MA5 is the best vocal preamp for the 500 series and pairs well with the U87 (which is not a dark microphone BTW). API's are also great... but, generally I prefer the Neve style, hence the MA5 recommendation.
Tony is the MA5 better then the GR 500nv? Would you say is closer to the Nevee sound then the GR 500nv?
I know the Ma5 is dope on guitar, and you say is the best for vox? How is it for Bass and KIck and snare? Punchy as 512c for drums?
This sounds like it could be a very versatile pre vox,guitar,bass.vox and drums? Im assuming it will be great on the sm7b too.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Tony is the MA5 better then the GR 500nv? Would you say is closer to the Nevee sound then the GR 500nv?
I know the Ma5 is dope on guitar, and you say is the best for vox? How is it for Bass and KIck and snare? Punchy as 512c for drums?
This sounds like it could be a very versatile pre vox,guitar,bass.vox and drums? Im assuming it will be great on the sm7b too.
you always ask whats better, you've been told before, there is no better. Both are good pres. Just make good music.
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael kennedy View Post
you always ask whats better, you've been told before, there is no better. Both are good pres. Just make good music.
Total BUll CRap. Recorded a band yesturday at the studio I intern at. Miced a guitar with one pre. Sounded like straight ass. UN pluged it pluged into a different pre. Sounded great. Disproved.
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

MA5 will make a u87 sound great
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
I own and have used 512c's and MA5 on many recordings.

512c are very fast pres. If you have a sibilant singer, I would not use the 512c's.. However for guitars/drums.. fantastic. Really rich and full sounding.

MA5 is a warm round edged pre, very neve (which I also have used on many recordings) like and is my choice with any singer over the 512c.

Both are excellent tools.
Hope this helps
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah Ima get one. Today was MMAAAAAAAD enlightening. You know sometimes you have to experience shi&t for it to clik sometimes. I brought my 2247 to a different studio and it was the best out of 8 diff mics including the u87. My problem is deffinately my room. I have crazy treatment in my room but apparently too much High Freq. Treatment. The bass traping is all good but I need to add reflection surfaces to get the Highs back.GOt a sound guy coming sunday. This stuff is mad comlicated. But "A", At least it made me try mad mics and pres and I learned alot.
Old 24th October 2009
Were the mics and pres mad at you or something?

That's good, sometimes you have to let other people handle other aspects of recording, while you focus on the music.

By the way, the c800g is not a bright mic per say, to me it sounds like a radio ready mic, meaning that you don't have to do much to it after it's tracked.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search