Drake's Voice during Choruses
DJoh
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear interested

Drake's Voice during Choruses

Hello all,

I was just wondering what effects were done on Drake's voice during the chorus of this song "Killer" YouTube - Drake feat. Nipsey Hussle - Killer *New*

This may be a stupid question, because I suppose it's autotune, but I'm more interested in how they got such a wide and textured feel on his voice even though it sounds like they didn't stack his voice....
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear maniac

I havent heard the song ....But assuming you want wide vocals with out a stacked sound.....I would use a delay.......Take ur vocal.....Copy it and place the second one directly below the first........zoom in close and move the second one so it plays ever so slightly slower then the first one.....10 to 25 ms or something like that.....Pan the first one all the way right pan the second one all the way left......WIDE VOCALS!!
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Just a quick question out of curiosity. Why is Drake so important and big to some of you guys right now? For me, he's just a guy who went from acting on the tv show Degrassi to being a newborn Rapper. There are much better rappers out here in Toronto, some of them I have heard, others I have worked with, and they make Drake's MCing sound like garbage, because they have way more talent/flow than him. All in all, don't believe the hype! (Sorry to some of you on here who are doing an amazing job, working with Drake, you guys are great producers/beatmakers).

All in all, effects:

Waves Doubler
Waves Metaflanger
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear maniac

dont hate, drake is the next jay-z
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear interested

There are a lot of Drake Haters lol. If you take the time out and listen his lyrics are very good by far one of the best in the game right now.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Just a quick question out of curiosity. Why is Drake so important and big to some of you guys right now? For me, he's just a guy who went from acting on the tv show Degrassi to being a newborn Rapper. There are much better rappers out here in Toronto, some of them I have heard, others I have worked with, and they make Drake's MCing sound like garbage, because they have way more talent/flow than him. All in all, don't believe the hype! (Sorry to some of you on here who are doing an amazing job, working with Drake, you guys are great producers/beatmakers).

All in all, effects:

Waves Doubler
Waves Metaflanger

Its because people are attracted to multifaceted artists. There are alot of better MC's than Drake. But they can only do 1 thing. Its like when Kanye West had that MASSIVE buzz in 2004 and some said he was overrated and they knew plenty of rappers better than him, it was Kanyes versatility that attracted people to him. Drake will take Kanyes prominece in 7 years then Kanye will take Jay-z's. Like it or not, Drake will be a dominate force in the music industry. He's really good at what he does.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Drake is easily one of the most versatile artists i've heard in my life. That young man has "it" hopefully it will translate into longevity.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lol you guys are funny. I am listening to Tupac right now and I just can't take Drake seriously at all. Again, you got the connections, you go places. I heard some way better people than him, never make it because they don't have any connections.

Actually, a Toronto rapper who is way better than Drake, Kardinal Official.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

who would compare tupac to drake? apples and oranges.

Drake isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but I can think of 100 other people to clown on before him. I think he needs to never sing again, but he does have a few verses and punch lines which I think are witty and dope compared to 99% of the shit on the radio. He ain't the illest lyricist, but he can rhyme.

Kardinall Official is dope too. I love the shit he did with pete rock. I just don't know what's up with him on that corny ass Akon song. See, I can find fault in Kardinal for whatever reason also. Haha.

If I am not mistaken both Kard and Drake are on some track where the hook goes "the hustle has become an obsession."

You can find bad in anyone.

There are always gonna be people you can find that are better than ________. Nothing new.

I could sit here and say how come you don't listen to Blu and say that Blu slaughters them both lyrically.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

who would compare tupac to drake? apples and oranges. I wouldn't compare Rakim to Kanye, but I like them both, for different reasons.

Drake isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but I can think of 100 other people to clown on before him. I think he needs to never sing again, but he does have a few verses and punch lines which I think are witty and dope compared to 99% of the shit on the radio. He ain't the illest lyricist, but he can rhyme.

Kardinall Official is dope too. I love the shit he did with pete rock. I just don't know what's up with him on that corny ass Akon song. See, I can find fault in Kardinal for whatever reason also. Haha.

If I am not mistaken both Kard and Drake are on some track where the hook goes "the hustle has become an obsession."

You can find bad in anyone.

There are always gonna be people you can find that are better than ________. Nothing new.

I could sit here and say how come you don't listen to Blu and say that Blu slaughters them both lyrically.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol you guys are funny. I am listening to Tupac right now and I just can't take Drake seriously at all. Again, you got the connections, you go places. I heard some way better people than him, never make it because they don't have any connections.

Actually, a Toronto rapper who is way better than Drake, Kardinal Official.
Kardinal is ehhhh.......Unless you check out drake's previous 2 mixtapes its easy to say he's overrated.

Any Chance you heard these 2 songs?

I think for example WALE is a far better lyricist, but Drake is essentially 3 artists in 1... ...If its easier to you just imagine him as the 2009 version of LL Cool J (rapper with respected bars, yet gets alot of love from the female audience)
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Ehhh the ladies have spoken, nuff said...
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

imo the world doesn't need another kanye west.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
yea, but another LL Cool J doesn't hurt....i miss that kind of energy in music.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
Oh god no, as much as I respect Ken, I think Kanye's last album went in the wrong, autotuned direction.

Drake is no LL Cool J. Bad comparison.

Drake and Tupac are not Apples and Orange, it's more like Tupac being the best apple and Drake being the bad apple.

Do you guys really like the 2 songs posted? Oh god... ZZZZZZZ.

I'm out of here, later!
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh god no, as much as I respect Ken, I think Kanye's last album went in the wrong, autotuned direction.

Drake is no LL Cool J. Bad comparison.

Drake and Tupac are not Apples and Orange, it's more like Tupac being the best apple and Drake being the bad apple.

Do you guys really like the 2 songs posted? Oh god... ZZZZZZZ.

I'm out of here, later!
Explain.....

oh and here's a club track since u like upbeat songs more i guess..

Drake - Money to Blow (Prod. by Drumma Boy) (Snip) - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Once again I'll bring this up but if he or any Canadian 'urban' artist can surpass the biggest selling urban single AND album in Canadian history(which is 1989's Let Your Backbone Slide and Symphony in Effect by Maestro Fresh Wes respectively), THEN I'll agree maybe he's ok.

On the real I know a guy from London Ontario named Scotty(white guy) who back before Eminem blew up, was offered a deal by Def Jam and flown to a fat condo in Miami and was going to be the first great white rapper. Then Em blew and dudes was like, Scotty who? C ya!

Just thought I'd share that. Scotty if your reading this tell Flex to call me it's Buddahfingaz(now Haze).
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Chris,

Chalk it up to difference of taste and your inability to look at Drake more objectively without personal bias.

Drake is hot, and definitely a really good rapper. Among other things.

Very important is Drake's ability and desire to make songs that sometimes are far more "musical" than other rap (or at least break genre barriers), which extends his audience much wider and creates something that will last beyond the trend of Auto-Tune.
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
Chris,

Chalk it up to difference of taste and your inability to look at Drake more objectively without personal bias.

Drake is hot, and definitely a really good rapper. Among other things.

Very important is Drake's ability and desire to make songs that sometimes are far more "musical" than other rap (or at least break genre barriers), which extends his audience much wider and creates something that will last beyond the trend of Auto-Tune.

...I think we should leave it @ this...it it a matter of taste, im sure theres people out there who think Jay-z & Nas are wack.......
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes it is, the same way I would never compare Kool G Rap to Lupe Fiasco. I wouldn't compare Biggy to Black Thought from the roots. Apples and Oranges.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

oh hey another thread chris decided to post some wisdom in
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

YO Chris in all honesty, you are truly hating, Drake is obviously killing the market as of now, everybody is loving his music, he dropped a mixtape that coulda been his album... Your right, there are probably other rappers that are hot in the T-dot, but I never heard of them, and i try to listen to everything..

Hell if you had a chance on degrassi, wouldn't u use it as a way to market?
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
oh hey another thread chris decided to post some wisdom in
Well if Drake only recorded into the Rode K2 with NOS tube he's probably sound better...
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

this forum is an endless source of entertainment...
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear maniac

Chris Lago, I suggest you stop posting your hate / toughts / bullshit.
Why dont just shut up and just reply when you actually have something helpful or positive to say (if that will ever happen) ?
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
the ladies have spoken, nuff said...
yupp
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatspin View Post
Chris Lago, I suggest you stop posting your hate / toughts / bullshit.
Why dont just shut up and just reply when you actually have something helpful or positive to say (if that will ever happen) ?
I'm trying to bring a bit of life to this section, don't be a poop. You guys are funny, you always turn this into a me vs all of you argument, and then forget about the initial reason why you are arguing with me... lol. I'm out for the day!
27th August 2009
Old 27th August 2009
Gear nut

Back to business, since it looks like this thread was hijacked. I have also been looking into how Drake does his hooks. First I must say hats off to his engineer, who is probably mostly responsible for the technique he is using. I have produced hooks like this way back like 6 years ago when nobody was doing it, and people were saying WTF is that? Now after hearing Drake using a similar sound on hooks, its kind of funny, but also creative as it was when I was doing it to make a hook sound a lil different.

When I first did it I was using UAD Nigel plugin, it has some cool filters and guitar amp like effects that will give you that exact same sound. I dont really use that UAD plug anymore, and I have been recreating that sound with some guitar amp plugins, of course you need to stack your vocals on the hook like 8 or 10 times and use VocAlign and AutoTune to get the pitch to sound the similar, but its easy to create this type of effect on the hook if you re-amp the vocals using a guitar amp but don't use too much, add it on a buss FX channel and adjust to taste.
27th August 2009
Old 27th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.L.I.N.K. View Post
Back to business, since it looks like this thread was hijacked. I have also been looking into how Drake does his hooks. First I must say hats off to his engineer, who is probably mostly responsible for the technique he is using. I have produced hooks like this way back like 6 years ago when nobody was doing it, and people were saying WTF is that? Now after hearing Drake using a similar sound on hooks, its kind of funny, but also creative as it was when I was doing it to make a hook sound a lil different.

When I first did it I was using UAD Nigel plugin, it has some cool filters and guitar amp like effects that will give you that exact same sound. I dont really use that UAD plug anymore, and I have been recreating that sound with some guitar amp plugins, of course you need to stack your vocals on the hook like 8 or 10 times and use VocAlign and AutoTune to get the pitch to sound the similar, but its easy to create this type of effect on the hook if you re-amp the vocals using a guitar amp but don't use too much, add it on a buss FX channel and adjust to taste.

hey its very interesting that you would stack a hook like 8 times. wouldnt that get muddy? do u pan diffenret tracks differently? like a few panned L a few panned R and a few panned C?

thanks
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search