62Hz ? Why so ser.. Why peaking ?
B.A.S.E
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

62Hz ? Why so ser.. Why peaking ?

Hi everyone,

I just have a simple question. Still on my way to learn mixing...

I figured out that after I have mixed and quick-home-so-called mastered my "beats" (" horrifying eh !) I have always a dominant frequency in the spectrum which sometimes even peaks out over 0dB without the dB meter going in the red.

It's : 62Hz... Does someone know by chance if it's kind of a crossover freq bewteen the kick and the bass or something ??

Usually when it peaks over 0dB, I would dip it on the master bus but I don't know if it hasn't any other major repercussion.. Sound wise, I can hear the effect..

Anyway, if anyone has an explanation...

Thanks
DAH
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
Hi everyone,

I just have a simple question. Still on my way to learn mixing...

I figured out that after I have mixed and quick-home-so-called mastered my "beats" (" horrifying eh !) I have always a dominant frequency in the spectrum which sometimes even peaks out over 0dB without the dB meter going in the red.

It's : 62Hz... Does someone know by chance if it's kind of a crossover freq bewteen the kick and the bass or something ??

Usually when it peaks over 0dB, I would dip it on the master bus but I don't know if it hasn't any other major repercussion.. Sound wise, I can hear the effect..

Anyway, if anyone has an explanation...

Thanks
Shiit, mane...
Got the problem? Post that F*****G problem? aight?
There s NO FREAKING definite "cross-over frequency" between bass and kick///seems to be your room acoustics/monitroing problem, although 60-65 Hz is very "boom-bap hip-hop" frequency range...
B.A.S.E
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

When I said crossover I didn't mean it in a "technical" way... more like the fact that my kick and bass are mostly overlapping on that particular frequency

The problem ? I described it in what I think is english but let me rephrase it : 62Hz is a frequency which sometimes peaks over 0dB.

I just don't hear the traditional clipping and the dB meter doesn't seem to go in the red.

Thanks again for your contribution, I would appreciate that you didn't swear that much anyway...

If my question is annoying, just don't answer it... If I am a "noob" well sorry for it !

Sincerely,
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

ac hum?
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's what's happenin'. Just decide which freqs you want each to occupy and high pass and low pass filter accordingly.
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

notch filter at 6khz and roll off.
Done deal
B.A.S.E
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

@PSM : yeah that's what I was doing, just wasn't understanding why I had to do that and why the dB meter wasn't showing anything... (and you mean 62Hz I suppose)

@ncoak & @ The Set Surgeon
well as PSM said, a notch filter at the given frequency has been sufficient. But thanks for that plausible cause.

So that's the AC hum... funny because I am all ITB... Might comes from the drum samples and soundfonts.

Well thx guys,
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Gear maniac

did u say soundfonts....
22nd August 2009
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
@PSM : yeah that's what I was doing, just wasn't understanding why I had to do that and why the dB meter wasn't showing anything... (and you mean 62Hz I suppose)

@ncoak & @ The Set Surgeon
well as PSM said, a notch filter at the given frequency has been sufficient. But thanks for that plausible cause.

So that's the AC hum... funny because I am all ITB... Might comes from the drum samples and soundfonts.

Well thx guys,
yes I meant 62 hz
23rd August 2009
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear maniac

Play each track individually so you can see if there is one in particular that is causing the overlevel at the 62Hz. If there is a tone in one of the loops, this would certainly cause this.
I almost knocked a window out of a control room with an 808 by cranking 45Hz while blasting the monitors. Good thing I didn't, because I was also the tech at this place, and I would have had to repair it as well as pay for it.
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Gear addict

More possible explanations:

1. You really like the B1 note for bass

2. Your monitoring system (monitors/headphones/room) has a dip at ~62Hz causing you to not hear the excess energy at 62Hz

3. You like to choose very low freq boomy BDs which are adding too much energy below 70-80 Hz (when you also have a bassline)

4. You're using some process/plugin when you mix/master that is adding energy at ~62 Hz

Next time you go to mix, carefully watch an audio spectrum analyzer to see what part/process is adding the energy at 62Hz.
B.A.S.E
24th August 2009
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Ok thanks a whole lot, I think it's one of my custom-processed 808 kick indeed..
After soloing a few tracks, it was the one sound adding the most energy in that frequency area. It might even be a "mix" of what all of you guys pointed out actually. i guess I am starting to feel the limits of my very poor monitoring setup as well.

By the way, I find it funny that for a very narrow frequency band, close to a single frequency, my dB meter won't tell me it's peaking.

Anyway, thanks again, very much appreciated !

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search