New Reply
Subscribe
djampai
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear interested

Blue Bluebird VS AKG C414

Hello,

My question is probably stupid. I want to buy a new mic and I want to know what is the best between the AKG C414 and the Blue Bluebird ?

It's for rap vocals recording.
Thanks ! Peace !
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by djampai View Post
Hello,

My question is probably stupid. I want to buy a new mic and I want to know what is the best between the AKG C414 and the Blue Bluebird ?

It's for rap vocals recording.
Thanks ! Peace !
Lol, well your question is even more stupid since you stated that it's for rap vocals... Answer: RAP VOCAL MICS DONT EXIST. USE WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU.

This section is not meant for beginner questions like yours. Please post elsewhere. This is an intermediate to pro section, intended for people who already know what they're doing.

The reason I didn't answer your question is because there are no right or wrong answers to your question.
djampai
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear interested

ok ok...sorry to bother you
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear interested

30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Head

If you want a crisp sound get the Bluebird, if you want a full smooth sound get the 414. I don't record rap vocals, but for regular vocals (given a choice of those two mics) I always use the 414.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear interested

I like the 414 for male vocalists/rappers, hope that helps. try to listen to both if you can.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
The reason I didn't answer your question is because there are no right or wrong answers to your question.
Chris? You're an idiot.

I'm not a Hip Hop guy but I still clicked on this thread to hear peoples OPINIONS from those that have actually heard these two mics.

And then there you are...

I suppose if he would have asked about a K2 or an MXL you would have jumped right in, right?

You recommend those mics constantly in just about every thread (for everything from micing farts to whatever else it is you do in your 'session' work) and now you have the audacity to call this guy out?

What a condescending prick...
"Thanks, guys. Nice to know I've been missed. I've spent the last six months or so contemplating the meaning of life, the universe and everything, and have come to the conclusion that it's not about the gear, but about the gear!" (maisonvague)

When I haven't any blue I use red. (Pablo Picasso)

Ol' Betsey Satan - The Original Flower
Shop 8 track - "She fought long and
she fought hard..."
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

ime, the 414 will out perform the bluebird in every scenario. i think the bluebird sounds like shit. blueberry is a great mic though.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Head

AKG 414 is a great mic for rappers. I've recorded many rappers 'spitting' into them!
I've used the Blue Bluebird a few times too, and I really enjoyed the mic with female jazz vocals.

Something to bear in mind here, and this is possibly why you'll want to get the AKG 414 first, is that the Blue only has cardioid pattern. The AKG is switchable between fig-8, polar, cardioid and hypercardioid. I've had situations before with beatboxers and rappers working off each other, and it's really cool to flip the 414 into fig-8 pattern mode and have the rappers facing each other, or the beatboxers standing in a circle around the 414 flipped to omni.

With the 414 you are already half way there to doing some M/S recordings too. Perhaps your beatboxers can stand side by side and you can get some real control in mixdown.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Chris? You're an idiot.

I'm not a Hip Hop guy but I still clicked on this thread to hear peoples OPINIONS from those that have actually heard these two mics.

I suppose if he would have asked about a K2 or an MXL you would have jumped right in, right?

You recommend those mics constantly in just about every thread (for everything from micing farts to whatever else it is you do in your 'session' work) and now you have the audacity to call this guy out?

Hey thanks, but seriously, these posts should be avoided, why? Because I've recorded rap vocalists with so many mics (414, 214, U87, K2, V69me, Sm7b, C800g and many others) and they all sounded fine for the specific rappers.

Mics for Rap just don't exist.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Ellis
The question is, which AKG 414----there are several different variations currently in production, and several which AKG no longer makes but that are widely available on ebay, etc.

I have the AKG 414 B ULS but do voiceovers with it, not vocals or instrument recording.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
The question is, which AKG 414----there are several different variations currently in production, and several which AKG no longer makes but that are widely available on ebay, etc.

I have the AKG 414 B ULS but do voiceovers with it, not vocals or instrument recording.
Exactly, I've used the 414 EB and the 414 XLS and the EB was a winner, hands down.
djampai
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Gear interested

Thank you for your answers !

I ask me now if the C414 is a realy good mic for hip hop vocals. Somebody say that it sound so smooth. Is it really ?

I ask me every day what the famous rappers usually use in studio ? Which mic ? For exemple, what is the mic, which use Snoop Dogg or Redman, etc. ? Is the famous U87 like a lot of artists in studio ?

Peace !
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by djampai View Post
Thank you for your answers !

I ask me now if the C414 is a realy good mic for hip hop vocals. Somebody say that it sound so smooth. Is it really ?

I ask me every day what the famous rappers usually use in studio ? Which mic ? For exemple, what is the mic, which use Snoop Dogg or Redman, etc. ? Is the famous U87 like a lot of artists in studio ?

Peace !
Sony c800g for the most part. It's not really important what they use, use what works best for you.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to gorillainthemix
Quote:
Chris? You're an idiot.

+1
pwnt

Ok, back OT:
@djampai
Personally I would go for the 414. Just a great mic with a great history. If you can get your hands on some EB versions (silverface) with the C12 capsule, you're extremely lucky. However, the new ones are just fine and you should be able to make great recordings with them. Very versatile.

more here:
AKG C414-EB vs C414 XLS or XLII
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris? You're an idiot.

Chris is quite right. Tony just posted up a long thread about how these kinds of topics are inappropriate for this forum. And I agree.

Anyway, to the original poster, I recommend reading the link in my signature, it's very helpful (except the posts about drinking pineapple juice).

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Chris is quite right. Tony just posted up a long thread about how these kinds of topics are inappropriate for this forum. And I agree.

Anyway, to the original poster, I recommend reading the link in my signature, it's very helpful (except the posts about drinking pineapple juice).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville
Here's why I post this. It's not to say anyone shouldn't ask what types of mics are good for what types of sounds.
What kind of post is this? He was asking about two different microphones.

It's not like he was even asking the difference between a 251 and an SM57. Those are two legitimately mid-upper mics that he's willing to spend some hard earned money on.

And then Chris jumped down his throat like some smart-ass know-it-all. It was just a shitty reply and uncalled for.

And then he (Chris) has to come back yet again with another 'Just use what's best for you' comment. For god's sake! How many times has Chris asked about microphones?!! It's just so fukking hypocritical...

And that link you posted is quite nice but certainly not the last word on vocal recording and as you say yourself " It's not to say anyone shouldn't ask what types of mics are good for what types of sounds."

I understand what Tony means but tend to think it's more directed at people that don't really know anything yet ask a question and then argue and cause grief with anyone that tries to offer help. Newb's with attitude I call them.

I didn't get any of that from the OP and really don't see the need for him being called out like that. Especially from Chris...

That's my .02 and now I'll move on...

R.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Chris? You're an idiot.

Hey by the way, I have used both mics, and yes, these posts are inappropriate in the Hip-Hop RNB forum. This thread should be closed.

And yes, I'm a prick, so what?!?

I call the guy out before the thread becomes too stupid, just like any other thread about rap microphones.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What kind of post is this? He was asking about two different microphones.

It's not like he was even asking the difference between a 251 and an SM57. Those are two legitimately mid-upper mics that he's willing to spend some hard earned money on.

And then Chris jumped down his throat like some smart-ass know-it-all. It was just a shitty reply and uncalled for.

And then he (Chris) has to come back yet again with another 'Just use what's best for you' comment. For god's sake! How many times has Chris asked about microphones?!! It's just so fukking hypocritical...

And that link you posted is quite nice but certainly not the last word on vocal recording and as you say yourself " It's not to say anyone shouldn't ask what types of mics are good for what types of sounds."

I understand what Tony means but tend to think it's more directed at people that don't really know anything yet ask a question and then argue and cause grief with anyone that tries to offer help. Newb's with attitude I call them.

I didn't get any of that from the OP and really don't see the need for him being called out like that. Especially from Chris...

That's my .02 and now I'll move on...

R.
Ok, I retract my opinion. This is not a totally out question, these two mics are certainly comparable. I think I'd just like a little bit of a more informative question from the OP. Is the mic just for male vocals? Other uses? What kind of sound is his preference? What other mics does he have?

There has been a series of ******** threads on here, and I lumped this one in with them.

Apologies.

On the same note, Chris is probably coming from the same perspective.
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Mic posts get redundant.
However to say it's not appropriate is BS.
1) This forum is Hip Hop/ R&B.
2) Asking about anything recording wise is why the site was built.

Stop acting like the first time you got behind the boards you were a rocket scientist.

Back a few years, there was no wide use of Internet, (AOL only remember?)so forums didn't exist. You had to spends months learning what is now considered childs play. Also with no Internet people could only go to a Pro Audio store and buy things or use a catalouge and hope the sales description led them to the right choice.

So there wasn't much home recording in small states and cities. There was tons to learn and unless you could get into a decent studio (home or pro) you had no one to ask, and a long learning curve.

This forum makes things easier. If everyone "READ THE MANUAL" this forum wouldn't need to exist so your not ad smart as you think you are.

Bread and Butter for hip-hop (home studio) was a basic akg condenser mic, mackie 1202, mpc, keyboard and an Alesis/ Tascam ADAT machine.

We are light years past that so if that wa alot to learn back then, it's 3x more to learn today.

The forum makes it easy but we've all got stuff to learn, except maybe the mods and Philly......(lol)

Chill out. If the questions dumb, don't respond. Simple.

By the way: there may not be a certified Rap Mic but there are certified Non Rap mics.
So those "which mic" questions are simple but still valid.

www.i80media.com
I-80 Media Group via YouTube
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

414 all day over the bluebird BUT an adk vienna edition gets you pretty close to that 414 sound for a lot less money...just saying.

and stop with the stupid debate and just answer the damn question. his question was perfectly fine.

For reference, I've owned a matched pair of C 414 B-XLS's, a pair of ADK Vienna editions and a bluebird.

The bluebird is def. ok but you'll have to eq in some mids.
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

I had the Bluebird in my studio for a day, then traded it for a Blueberry.

I thought it popped too much, even with different pop filters.
I was not blown away by this mic.
I would go for the C414 for sure. Its a very versitile mic.

You can also try the AT 4050 or the Blue Dragonfly.
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

He never asked for a "Hip-Hop" mic. He asked which would be preferable to acquire.
Then he just mentioned: it's for rap.

Very legitimate question imo. Yes, there is no "hip-hop" mic. However, some mics might be better suited for rap than others.
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Right, got it:

Quote:
Ok, I retract my opinion. This is not a totally out question, these two mics are certainly comparable. I think I'd just like a little bit of a more informative question from the OP. Is the mic just for male vocals? Other uses? What kind of sound is his preference? What other mics does he have?

There has been a series of ******** threads on here, and I lumped this one in with them.

Apologies.

On the same note, Chris is probably coming from the same perspective.
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Gear maniac

I track hip hop vocals......Tried out most if those mics......The 414 is nice but kinda thin sounding.....The bluebird looks kool but honestly sounds too bright.......If it was my opinion....And this is just my opinion.....Id go wit any shure ksm you can get ur hands on for the low......Or like a at 4050......Or blue blueberry.........Dese cats on dis site are 'kno it all's'.....And I kno sometimes its hard to get a good answer......Guitar center is pretty strick wit returning mics......Id say go to ur local music shop and buy both and return the one you dont like! ......If this helps OHH and AHH you..DZK uses a shure ksm32..ghostface killa uses a rode nt2a.......Kanye west used a at 4050 on one of his albums....Micheal jackson used a sm7....and I've heard lil wayne uses a blue kiwi ...btw i saw a at 4050 on craigslist for 300 id way rather spend three bills on a 4050 ovr a bluebird or 414
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, got it:
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statixx View Post
I track hip hop vocals......Tried out most if those mics......The 414 is nice but kinda thin sounding.....The bluebird looks kool but honestly sounds too bright.......If it was my opinion....And this is just my opinion.....Id go wit any shure ksm you can get ur hands on for the low......Or like a at 4050......Or blue blueberry.........Dese cats on dis site are 'kno it all's'.....And I kno sometimes its hard to get a good answer......Guitar center is pretty strick wit returning mics......Id say go to ur local music shop and buy both and return the one you dont like! ......If this helps OHH and AHH you..DZK uses a shure ksm32..ghostface killa uses a rode nt2a.......Kanye west used a at 4050 on one of his albums....Micheal jackson used a sm7....and I've heard lil wayne uses a blue kiwi ...btw i saw a at 4050 on craigslist for 300 id way rather spend three bills on a 4050 ovr a bluebird or 414
+1.

Although, I do like 414s. The whole lot of em. 4050s are great. I managed to snag one for 305$ off ebay. Giggity giggity.
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear maniac

Dats a good buy on the 4050 congrats......I recently bought a ksm 32 for three hundred.....then someone posted a 4050 on craigslist for the same price the next day X ( ....Think id rather have a 4050....Cant say the ksm wasnt worth the doe tho.......Great on vox.
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I would choose a 4050 over the newer 414s any day.
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I would choose a 4050 over the newer 414s any day.
Really? Even on drum OH and acoustic guitar? See, you're a singer so you're thinking vocals - and I'd have to agree. The 4050 has a smoother quality than the c414s do. But for OHs, c414 in an XY with the bisect pointed at the center of the kit is one of the best drum sounds. Kicks ass and takes names.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search