im done messing wit my avalons
themucka
27th August 2005
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Head

im done messing wit my avalons i need a good pre even mic i will change 10g budget

right now im currently tracking hip hops songs im doing for tego calderon for his new album on giagidi/atlantic records i was recently at circle house was less than impressed wit the a room tracking room. B was working for since i dint want A and the C Room was booked. but the vibe in my studio is jus more relaxing plus we on the beach on collins

so as my tittle states im done wit these avalons.. im looking for a good pre amp that works well wit the neuman u 87 not the ai model.

any good suggestions.. im even open 2 mic and pre combos and its not jus for tego its for the clients we produce.. i like the sony c800g wit the tube tec mec combo but im not really down wit shelling out ten gs for those 2 piece.. id rather get vienna symphonic and the es8. but i need the vocal chain the mixing im fine wit the chain im not. its already 2 late for tego im making doing wat i got for him. but once this check comes im defintly upgrading the studio and

the mic and pre are my first priority then my es8 cuz im tired of the motif 88

any suggestion are greatly appreciated. i deal mainly wit hip hop tho i recently been doing alot of spanish hip hop. no not reggaeton but real hip hop in spanish.

thanks in advance
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear
I'm not crazy about the 737 pre either. I tried to like it... Really. This was before joining GS when everyone I knew was raving about this pre. In fact, this is the first place where people pretty much felt the same way I did about this piece. It's boring, not particularly clean, or colored, or hi fi.

I have an MP2NV that I really like for pretty much any source. A pendulum quartet is the next move. That might be a good place to look for a replacement for the 737 if you want a channel strip.

There's a tube conversion kit for your 87 by innertube audio that you should check into. Also, Lawson does a 10 day trial for their mics so after you get your preamp then you could get a 47 or 251 to try against you 87 and see if it's worth the switch.
themucka
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
I'm not crazy about the 737 pre either. I tried to like it... Really. This was before joining GS when everyone I knew was raving about this pre. In fact, this is the first place where people pretty much felt the same way I did about this piece. It's boring, not particularly clean, or colored, or hi fi.

I have an MP2NV that I really like for pretty much any source. A pendulum quartet is the next move. That might be a good place to look for a replacement for the 737 if you want a channel strip.

There's a tube conversion kit for your 87 by innertube audio that you should check into. Also, Lawson does a 10 day trial for their mics so after you get your preamp then you could get a 47 or 251 to try against you 87 and see if it's worth the switch.
thanks for your insight and i will look into that MP2NV & tube conversion kit for u 87 that sounds good. and yes im no longer fond of the 737 and you right on the money wit the description of the 737 being "not perticulary clean, or colored or hifi making it very boring.

i was also thinking of the c12 or soundelx 451 i think it was. cuz even tho i do like the sony 800g the maintenace factor around it and the fact that ive neva been in a studio that didnt have some sort of quirk problem with it. make me very hesitant. and plus the fact all my clients for the most part are smokers..
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

If you've got money to burn, go with the original Neve 1073's. That would be my first choice. Second choice would be the Aurora GTQII or the Great River as stated above. I haven't used the Aurora, but I hear great things. TonyBelmont can probably give you some better details on it.

As for mics, the U87 is a great mic with ANY of the above pre's. Korby Kat4 is also an excellent option to look into. They make a C800 head, 251, U47 I think. Oh, I can't remember them all. Slide over to Vintageking.com for more info. Anyways, you can get several different heads so it' like have a number of different mic choices all in one mic package.

Don't know what your compressors look like but look into the 1176 and the Alan Smart C2 if you don't already have this area covered.

Good Luck!
themucka
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
If you've got money to burn, go with the original Neve 1073's. That would be my first choice. Second choice would be the Aurora GTQII or the Great River as stated above. I haven't used the Aurora, but I hear great things. TonyBelmont can probably give you some better details on it.

As for mics, the U87 is a great mic with ANY of the above pre's. Korby Kat4 is also an excellent option to look into. They make a C800 head, 251, U47 I think. Oh, I can't remember them all. Slide over to Vintageking.com for more info. Anyways, you can get several different heads so it' like have a number of different mic choices all in one mic package.

Don't know what your compressors look like but look into the 1176 and the Alan Smart C2 if you don't already have this area covered.

Good Luck!

very much appreciated..

thank you
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Quote:
As for mics, the U87 is a great mic with ANY of the above pre's. Korby Kat4 is also an excellent option to look into. They make a C800 head, 251, U47 I think.
Good Luck!

I would bypass the Korby mic personally.

None of the heads sound the like the mics they are supposed to copy.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I know what you mean.... I sold my Avalon after using it for a week. I would suggest that you also look at the mics and not just the micpres. Check out the Aurora GTQ, that's a nice one for vocals.

As for mics, check out the various threads on that subject. I have the Soundelux 251, Brauner VM-1, Manley, etc. But it's kinda hard to give any advice so you should see if you can try a few out and see what works for you and your clients best.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I would bypass the Korby mic personally.

None of the heads sound the like the mics they are supposed to copy.
Really? That's the first time I've heard that. Care to elaborate...This was one I considered picking up next year.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Quote:
Really? That's the first time I've heard that. Care to elaborate...This was one I considered picking up next year.
Just a personal opinion so please take it with a grain a salt.

I go to test out the mic last year and put it through its paces.

Lets just say i was very underwhelmed.

The U67 and 251 heads were to me the most usable but neither sounded as rich as the real thing.

The U47 head was almost unusable.

I would instead just save my money and either rent or save up for the real things.

Again this is an opinion and just that.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Just a personal opinion so please take it with a grain a salt.

I go to test out the mic last year and put it through its paces.

Lets just say i was very underwhelmed.

The U67 and 251 heads were to me the most usable but neither sounded as rich as the real thing.

The U47 head was almost unusable.

I would instead just save my money and either rent or save up for the real things.

Again this is an opinion and just that.
Oh...no doubt! I respect your opinion though. Someone else may have said this and I wouldn't have given it much thought. Thanks for the heads up.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

thumbsup
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Congrats on turning away the 737. nice to see people using their ears rather than their eyes. I have a moded one that sounds great, but the regular ones are jsut too steril, especially for HipHop (maybe fine for Celine Dion).

I'd like to throw in another vote for the U87ai. Great all around mic for the money. If you have a little more, the M149 is a good all around mic thats not too too expensive. I'd also go wih someones suggestion of a 1073 for a preamp, but those are pretty pricey. Ive heard good things about the Viper, but never used one myself.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
For a U87 i've always liked a V76 and the original Focusrite 110 module.

A 1073 can go either way.

Tubetech CL1B with Mullards for compression.
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

The avalon M5 is much nicer than the 737 preamp, by the way.

I just don't want ALL avalon pres to get trashed!
28th August 2005
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

I thnk the Avalon 2022 is a great unit. (same as the M5, I'm told) I freelanced at a studio in Orlando where they used the 737 with the U87 and I was never really impressed with it. Wouldn't call it crap...but MUCH better alternatives for the money these days.
themucka
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Head

how much are the original neve 1073 going for.. ive always wanted a pair 2 be honest..

and im buying that upgrade for the neuman u87 2morro. aswell as a whisper rack

@xhiphop, thrillfactor, stoneface, mpcist, johnny clueless. all your info and insight was truly appreciated..

thanks anyone else got suggestions i hear good things about the aurora gtq but does anyone kno that they work nice wit the u87 and hip hop vocalist.
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Gear maniac

I got rid of the "man hold up!" 737 a few years ago and havn't looked back. Like Stone said the 2022, a different beast all together, as is the GR-MP2NV, great for that in your face rap vocal.

Thrill, approx. how much should it be to replace tubes in a tube tech cl-2a with mullards? I really like the way it sounds on vocals now w/factory tubes, what sonic difference do they (mullards) make?

SIN
themucka
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsay
I got rid of the "man hold up!" 737 a few years ago and havn't looked back. Like Stone said the 2022, a different beast all together, as is the GR-MP2NV, great for that in your face rap vocal.

Thrill, approx. how much should it be to replace tubes in a tube tech cl-2a with mullards? I really like the way it sounds on vocals now w/factory tubes, what sonic difference do they (mullards) make?

SIN
well now ima have 2 try that great river mp2nv.. cuz that is one of the main things im looking for. besides a nice fat body 2 the vocals..

thank you sinsay for your advice .
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by themucka
how much are the original neve 1073 going for.. ive always wanted a pair 2 be honest..

and im buying that upgrade for the neuman u87 2morro. aswell as a whisper rack

@xhiphop, thrillfactor, stoneface, mpcist, johnny clueless. all your info and insight was truly appreciated..

thanks anyone else got suggestions i hear good things about the aurora gtq but does anyone kno that they work nice wit the u87 and hip hop vocalist.

As far as the GTQ2.... It's simply one of my favorite mic pre's. It has the sound of a 1073. but with a slightly more open top end. It can and does sound incredible on a U87! If you don't want to spend between $6-10k on a pair of 1073's get the GTQ...
themucka
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
As far as the GTQ2.... It's simply one of my favorite mic pre's. It has the sound of a 1073. but with a slightly more open top end. It can and does sound incredible on a U87! If you don't want to spend between $6-10k on a pair of 1073's get the GTQ...
thanks yeah it looks like the gtq2 ima mess with..

those chandlers were looking good but ima mess wit that auru
29th August 2005
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Avalons seem noizy to me. you cant stack alot of vocals or instruments with them. I mean noize floor, not 1073 hairy sounding, but noize as in, "the bullshit you dont want."
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft
Avalons seem noizy to me. you cant stack alot of vocals or instruments with them. I mean noize floor, not 1073 hairy sounding, but noize as in, "the bullshit you dont want."
I never really had any problem with them in that area. Are you sure it might not have been a bad tube in the 737 you were using? That could definitely make it noisy.
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think that the 1073 sounds amazing but I had two crap out back to back while recording someone that you would never want to make wait. The originals are to flakey. One day they work, the next day it sounds like you are recording rice krispies. For the price of a vintage 1073 you could easily find something that will sound just as good and provide you with reliability. The pre's by great river, chandler, DW fearn, and phoenix audio would be great alternatives. I personally use an SSL xlogic channel strip into a distressor and love the results.
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Gear interested

hey jonnyclueless...what sorts of mods did you do to your 737, and what sort of improvements did you notice. Is it worth the expence?
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just think, over the years, of how many vt-737sp's have been used to make commerical records that sold and made money. Four different flavors wonder which one is the best. I'm thinking about one that may be a VT-737sp Hurricane Katrina edition

vt-737

vt-737sp

vt-737sp babyface mod

vt-737sp mercenary mod
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Tony, how would you compare the GTQ2 to the Neve CIB?
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
I think that the 1073 sounds amazing but I had two crap out back to back while recording someone that you would never want to make wait. The originals are to flakey. One day they work, the next day it sounds like you are recording rice krispies. For the price of a vintage 1073 you could easily find something that will sound just as good and provide you with reliability. The pre's by great river, chandler, DW fearn, and phoenix audio would be great alternatives. I personally use an SSL xlogic channel strip into a distressor and love the results.
I wouldn't call the originals flaky.

For a module that goes fits in a console vertically it actually stands up pretty well when its rackmounted.

Some modules are designed to be vertical and don't do as well when pulled out of a console.

It just sounds like the pair you had weren't maintained too well.

Its really not as difficult as one would think to repair them.

Yeah its is a little time consuming but similar to owning an SSL doing some maintance becomes second nature when you are using something everyday.
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsay

SIN

Hi Sin.

First of all a TT CL1B right out of the box sounds good and is useful.

But i've discovered over the years(i've owned like 6-7 at different times) that when you change the standard tubes you can increase the richness of the unit.

I would characterize the standard tubes as dry.

Mullards tend to give vocals and bass a richer size and just overall fidelity.

The Tele's makes it more hifi(similar to the stock but more open).

The CL2A by the way sounds different than the CL1B.

I've only used it once but i remember hearing a difference.

I thought it was nice but i still prefered the original.
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman
Tony, how would you compare the GTQ2 to the Neve CIB?
Neve CIB???

Do you mean the Amek? If so, they are very different pieces. The Amek CIB is cool, but I always found it to be a little to clean. It doesn't really add much character to the signal. The GTQ is all about character, like a 1073, with a round bottom end, etc. The GTQ is also two channels, but doesn't have the compressor. So, they are different beasts altogether.
30th August 2005
Old 30th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
It's just like anything else... If you have a '64 Impala that hasn't been maintained, it's not gonna run or ride very good. But, if it was well taken care of, and serviced regularly, you would be rolling in a hot ride. I have seen many 1073's that have worked flawlessly after 25+ years w regular maintanence, and I have seen some that were trainwrecks and not cared for. They have the potential to sound amazing when maintained just like any other piece of gear.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search