The OFFICIAL "Please Check Out My Mix/ Music" Thread
Old 3rd June 2011
  #1591
Gear nut
 

http://soundcloud.com/mr-head/at-peace-that-ill-be

this was my first real attempt at mixing....sounds ALOT better than it did BEfore mixing, But any where that obviously am going wrong, would be much apprecciated if pointed out ......i dont have a vocal booth yet either but soon enough, sort of an unconventional, almost verging experimental Rap track...from Northern Canada...ITs all me baby !!!
Old 5th June 2011
  #1592
Gear addict
 

Old 6th June 2011
  #1593
Banned
 

Old 6th June 2011
  #1594
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Hahaa.. I really don't really like rap but I felt the attitude in that one.
good looks. definitely got an edgy vibe

had a lot of fun making, recording and mixing this track!
Old 6th June 2011
  #1595
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyentel View Post
Think i gotta pretty decent mix here, easy on the ears, scored a 12 in dynamic range on the TT DR meter. My only question is, should i add more low end to the vox? Not sure if they have too much "Air" in them, I have them sitting right where I want them spacial wise. Just dont know if I should cut the highs a bit, and add some low end.

Please respond, and I will return the favor of feedback thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/klyentel/shut-em-down-klyentel-feat
Goddamn, this is painful on headphones.
The chorus vocals have WAY too much high end, and so do lots of crashes and cymbals. The main vocals are reasonable - I'd still tone down the high end a bit.
Old 7th June 2011
  #1596
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Old 8th June 2011
  #1597
osd
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre8 da RedBeerd View Post
Found an Arabic song. Chopped and tweaked.

Would like critique on the mix and the joint in general.

Thx and Peace.
Nice grooves. The drum fills sound too low in the mix.
Old 8th June 2011
  #1598
Gear addict
 
Oh4!'s Avatar
 

Old 8th June 2011
  #1599
Gear interested
 
plat's Avatar
 

Branching out?

Old 9th June 2011
  #1600
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

rotfl I recorded this one 4 years ago when I *obviously* was still using a $10 mic - but its very different, I kinda like it

I didn't even remember I had it until i was going thru all my old track....

http://soundcloud.com/tdotz/gshit

at least back when I use to think those vox sounded good I spent a lot less money on gear...
Old 9th June 2011
  #1601
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Window

Old 9th June 2011
  #1602
Gear interested
 
SuperMario's Avatar
 

Dead man walking

Hey everyone, wondering if you can check this mix out and tell me wat u tink!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Dead man walking.mp3 (5.96 MB, 17 views)
Old 9th June 2011
  #1603
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
rotfl I recorded this one 4 years ago when I *obviously* was still using a $10 mic - but its very different, I kinda like it

I didn't even remember I had it until i was going thru all my old track....

http://soundcloud.com/tdotz/gshit

at least back when I use to think those vox sounded good I spent a lot less money on gear...
haha Pink Panther.....I like the beat. U make it?
Old 9th June 2011
  #1604
Gear maniac
 
Kre8 da RedBeerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Taylor View Post
I did some mixing and the mastering. How can I improve this? Thanx.
Nice joint. Decent mix, but the vocals sound stuffy, like recorded in a closet.

If some more work is done on the vocal mix, this thing will be spiffy.

Peace.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1605
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
is my mixing getting better or worse?

http://soundcloud.com/tdotz/pain3
Better. But your vocals don't sound so hot. Sounds like CHEAP GEAR. Get that mic out the corner of your room.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1606
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampire View Post
haha Pink Panther.....I like the beat. U make it?
Yeah, I think I took a midi file of it and chopped it up, put in my own samples/instruments and fuxed the drums. I think back then I was more creative (was more high, thats for sure)
Old 10th June 2011
  #1607
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Better. But your vocals don't sound so hot. Sounds like CHEAP GEAR. Get that mic out the corner of your room.
Really? Well, I did say *mix*

That was actually tracked with the AT2020 with the Digital MPA2 ... so ... pretty much a $300 pre with a $120 mic

And it wasn't in the corner ... but all of my room is pretty terrible acoustically.

I guess there is no way to 'refix' a vocal but I can probably make it sound a little better with more fuxing ... I'v been trying to get my homie back over to finish some unfinished tracks but he pretty much dropped off the map.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1608
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 

Old 10th June 2011
  #1609
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 

Here is one more going back a few years. This started out as just and rough instrumental idea I had sketched out. Had a rapper from either NC or SC who wanted to use it. He recorded the vocals with his own set up so there wasn't much I could do about the phone-like quality they had. Then I just built the track around his rap.

http://soundcloud.com/superstitch/whats-up-with-that-yo
Old 10th June 2011
  #1610
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Really? Well, I did say *mix*

That was actually tracked with the AT2020 with the Digital MPA2 ... so ... pretty much a $300 pre with a $120 mic

And it wasn't in the corner ... but all of my room is pretty terrible acoustically.

I guess there is no way to 'refix' a vocal but I can probably make it sound a little better with more fuxing ... I'v been trying to get my homie back over to finish some unfinished tracks but he pretty much dropped off the map.
Maybe the vocal treatment in the mix was the problem? Then again, the 2020 while not bad is not exactly top of the line, and I'm not up on the MPA2 - and bad room acoustics.... hmmm.... have to hear the raw vocal to know.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1611
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Better. But your vocals don't sound so hot. Sounds like CHEAP GEAR. Get that mic out the corner of your room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Really? Well, I did say *mix*



And it wasn't in the corner ... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Maybe the vocal treatment in the mix was the problem? .
interesting...I didn't find the vocals that bad at all..mix sounds fine to me...
Old 10th June 2011
  #1612
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
interesting...I didn't find the vocals that bad at all..mix sounds fine to me...
I would disagree, but that's because I made it!
I don't think I would be personally satisfied until it sounds like Dr. Dre mixed it ...
I think it sounds 'reasonable' - the lower end is a little lacking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
have to hear the raw vocal to know
Since I think this is the second time you've said something to that effect, I will satisfy your curiosity in hopes you'll be like 'wtf are you doing that for?'

Included is the first verse completely dry, and also the first verse completely wet (including the reverb and chorus send) boosted by 3db after export (didn't use soundcloud because it eats quality)

Chain is 2 tracks (L5 - R3) bussed into one group track
SSLChannel Stereo: 69hz high pass, HF +6.8 db @ 8.99 khz, LMF -2.9 @ 1.57 khz, compressor 7.5:1 ratio, -4.6 threshold, slow attack, 0.15 release
Waves RDeEsser: Range -15.7, Thres -33.9
API-550A Stereo: HF +4 db @ 10khz

also, a small amount of send to waves doubler and verb (it sounds like the mix sample has too much verb, but in the context of the song it sounds ok ...)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 vocals_mix.mp3 (1.28 MB, 39 views)
File Type: mp3 vocals_dry.mp3 (1.28 MB, 24 views)
Old 10th June 2011
  #1613
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

OK tDot...the thinking here is that what you (and Storyville it seems) dislike about the vox is the "performance"...the sound is fine

The vocal performance is very weak...and that will translate sonically.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1614
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
OK tDot...the thinking here is that what you (and Storyville it seems) dislike about the vox is the "performance"...the sound is fine

The vocal performance is very weak...and that will translate sonically.
I'm the one on the 2nd verse, so there's not much I can do about the first.
I thought that was one of his better performances to be honest...
Old 10th June 2011
  #1615
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
I'm the one on the 2nd verse, so there's not much I can do about the first.
I thought that was one of his better performances to be honest...
not trying to be harsh...just think that it doesn't make too much sense to beat a mix to death if there isn't room for improvement...I think the mix is good actually...vox, as I said, aren't killer...but mix wise, I think you are good...all the great stuff you want to sound like...is produced to perfection...A killer song...killer delivery and thus the ability to have a killer mix.


Don't let Storyville beat down your mixing skills...sounds like you got ears to me
Old 10th June 2011
  #1616
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Not quite done with this joint. Gotta freak that breakdown with the horns some way. I can hear The Game all over this. Took a sample and chopped it up pretty good.

The Usual, Please. (Daily Serving of Raw) - SOULFUL BANGER... again

http://soundcloud.com/analogdivision/the-usual-please/s-dTSeX
dope.....agreed with Game vision
Old 10th June 2011
  #1617
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
"What Should We Do" - Soulful Hip-Hop Banger.
http://soundcloud.com/analogdivision/what-should-we-do-prod-by-nav

I just left the vinyl sound from the sample in it. Probably remove it upon further mixing. Enjoy and let me know what you guys think.
dear lord.....YES.

uuuuuugh! super feeling this one.
Old 10th June 2011
  #1618
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
Ok. I thought I'd throw up some work I did a few years back. It was a remix I produced and mixed in my place. I was using DP at the time (now on LP) and all vocals were recorded at other studios:

http://soundcloud.com/superstitch/lana-romanov-remix
dope....sounds great to me.

what did you make the beat with?
Old 10th June 2011
  #1619
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
Here is one more going back a few years. This started out as just and rough instrumental idea I had sketched out. Had a rapper from either NC or SC who wanted to use it. He recorded the vocals with his own set up so there wasn't much I could do about the phone-like quality they had. Then I just built the track around his rap.

http://soundcloud.com/superstitch/whats-up-with-that-yo
the vocal quality insults the quality of the beat......I wouldn't stand for it if it were my beat!
Old 10th June 2011
  #1620
Lives for gear
 
Sampire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwab View Post
Track I wrote, produced, recorded, and mixed w/ my buddy playing live bass. Let me know what u think! And any questions, just ask!
this go hard for this type of song. Could hear this in a club or on the radio......only thing I don't like and am not feeling is the part in the hook where it goes "the bounce, the bounce - the bounce - the bounce " .......found that part wack.

Sidenote: I am also feeling your avatar
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.