Login / Register

The OFFICIAL "Please Check Out My Mix/ Music" Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

my latest offering

Heres my latest mix (like the 12th) Are we ever done?

Its called "Persevere"

per⋅se⋅ver⋅ance Pronunciation [pur-suh-veer-uhns]
–noun

1.steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2.Theology. continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDT Music Group View Post
Heres my latest mix (like the 12th) Are we ever done?

Its called "Persevere"

per⋅se⋅ver⋅ance Pronunciation [pur-suh-veer-uhns]
–noun

1.steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2.Theology. continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.
Honestly, the mix is not so great. But I was rocking to the joint. You should really spend some time making this sound better; ie: cleaner, tame the low end, and bring out the presence in just about every voice. The lyrics could use some work, but more than that the doubles need to be tightened.

PM me if you want me to take a crack at mixing it. (Pro bono. All my work for HIS KINGDOM is free! )

PWG
Ideas are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny. - Carl Schurz

15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Great song Trell just please take out those 808 snares. Those snares date the track and puts you in a basket. Find some other ways to introduce percussion elements into the mix.
Thanks...I would but the group I did the song for like that sorta thing. (they're half rnb, half hip hop) Gotta keep within your client's flavor, right?

DOWNLOAD LATEST SONG AT
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/he...le/id833822591

ANDROID
https://play.google.com/store/music/...f5j6rxzq4i554i

SOUND CLOUD
https://soundcloud.com/trell-blaze

------------------------------------------------
Trell Blaze Music
------------------------------------------------
email: coopdevillian@gmail.com
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Thanks...I would but the group I did the song for like that sorta thing. (they're half rnb, half hip hop) Gotta keep within your client's flavor, right?
Hmmm, for some reason a lot of producers use those 808 snares because it the easiest thing to grab to add dimension to a track but when you do you make it a "Southern Thang" you know. I mean, the track is great but you put yourself in the bandwagon when you use those snares. It doesn't necessarily kill the track but it takes away from the uniqueness in which you have to have in order to break out in todays music scene. There are many percussion sounds, breaks, and frills you can use to tidy up the track and keep it moving.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm, for some reason a lot of producers use those 808 snares because it the easiest thing to grab to add dimension to a track but when you do you make it a "Southern Thang" you know. I mean, the track is great but you put yourself in the bandwagon when you use those snares. It doesn't necessarily kill the track but it takes away from the uniqueness in which you have to have to break out in todays music scene.
I hear what you're saying and I agree. But this IS a hip hop (and rnb) group in Dallas, TX...where 808 kicks/snares live. My thought process when programing the beat was to make it as ghetto-southern as possible while still keeping my own melodic style. The only way I could do that in this case was to add the 808 kick and snare. Take them away and you take away the "Southerness".

Also keep in mind that this is just one song. Most of my stuff gets compared to the Underdogs. Honestly I don't think I'm even CLOSE to THAT good but I think people say that because of the way I program my basses (lots of well planned slides).
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Also, the clap you use could take a cut of about -5 between 1.6 and 2.5 Khz region. This will help to set it back in the mix a little more. It's too prominent as on right now probably do the the limiter as they have the tendency to make the main clap or snare poke out too much in the mix.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and I agree. But this IS a hip hop (and rnb) group in Dallas, TX...where 808 kicks/snares live. My thought process when programing the beat was to make it as ghetto-southern as possible while still keeping my own melodic style. The only way I could do that in this case was to add the 808 kick and snare. Take them away and you take away the "Southerness".

Also keep in mind that this is just one song. Most of my stuff gets compared to the Underdogs. Honestly I don't think I'm even CLOSE to THAT good but I think people say that because of the way I program my basses (lots of well planned slides).
Actually, taking away the "Southernness" of a track isn't a bad thing. You want your music to be "Universal" always. You don't want somebody to say, aww shyt, them guys must be from the south when listening to your tracks. You want everybody from every region to enjoy your music and not put a label on it.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, taking away the "Southernness" of a track isn't a bad thing. You want your music to be "Universal" always. You don't want somebody to say, aww shyt, them guys must be from the south when listening to your tracks. You want everybody from every region to enjoy your music and not put a label on it.
True, but again...I have clients to please... They take a LOT of my advise and listen to much of what I say but at the end of the day, if they're not satisfied with the song then...well...u know...
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

What up GS...This is my latest production...did everythang but the rapping, and singing...Just thought I'd run it by the best ears on the net...basically, Is this ready for the radio...appreciate the help...x...
GSlicCK
"We Can Get It On"
produced by: XpLiziT

We Can Get It On.mp3
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
True, but again...I have clients to please... They take a LOT of my advise and listen to much of what I say but at the end of the day, if they're not satisfied with the song then...well...u know...
Trust me, I know how it is. You catch hell trying to tell a bunch of hard-headed, overly confident artist/producers/beatmakers things like this. Only if they knew how important the little thing are like taking out a particular sound or adding a particular element. The difference could be going wood and going platinum or winning a foosball table to winning a Grammy. Anyways, nice song.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplizit View Post
What up GS...This is my latest production...did everythang but the rapping, and singing...Just thought I'd run it by the best ears on the net...basically, Is this ready for the radio...appreciate the help...x...
GSlicCK
"We Can Get It On"

Attachment 132159
Ahhh, I love it, love it, love it. You see, this is what the music industry needs. New, fresh, raw, material. You remind me of Kid Rock/Insert a Rapper?Sugar Ray type of deal. This song is gonna be big. Don't ask me how I know I just do. I wouldn't buy it though and I am very, very picky when it comes to taste. Make sure you get this into the hands of important industry people. Great song, great structure, and I like the fact that you didn't try to make the song so clinical. You gotta hit that will cross genres and this method always work.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Oh, Xzibit, make sure you layer the chorus of the girl singing with a higher pitched vocal. It need's to be double maybe even triple stacked. Whatever sounds better. Just make sure you put something in the upper register on her vocals.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

thank you...I have GS to thank for helping me...this forum has really helped me learn alot and cravin more...x...
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
GSlicCK
"We Can Get It On"

Attachment 132159
HOT!

And this aint even my style of music...

I would like to hear the female hook turned up JUST A TAD...and I mean an itty bitty tad...but that's just me. It definately doesn't kill the song where it's at. I like the vocalist choice for this song. What's she look like?
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
HOT!

And this aint even my style of music...

I would like to hear the female hook turned up JUST A TAD...and I mean an itty bitty tad...but that's just me. It definately doesn't kill the song where it's at. I like the vocalist choice for this song. What's she look like?
I see we agree. I can see myself shooting.........pool and chillin with my colleagues at the pub with this song playing and everybody having a great time.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Oh, Xzibit, make sure you layer the chorus of the girl singing with a higher pitched vocal. It need's to be double maybe even triple stacked. Whatever sounds better. Just make sure you put something in the upper register on her vocals.
Actually, I do have 2 doubles of the higher octave...I set it very low in the mix...So I should definitely bring them more out then...thanx for the tip...Also, I was concerned with the bridge section Female vocal...I made 2 copies of the Main vocal center, then panned them hard left and right....the copies have alot phasing going on, but i kind of liked the contrast...any thoughts?...should i go ahead and do some delay to separate them or do you think it works?...x...
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
Actually, I do have 2 doubles of the higher octave...I set it very low in the mix...So I should definitely bring them more out then...thanx for the tip...Also, I was concerned with the bridge section Female vocal...I made 2 copies of the Main vocal center, then panned them hard left and right....the copies have alot phasing going on, but i kind of liked the contrast...any thoughts?...should i go ahead and do some delay to separate them or do you think it works?...x...
Don't over do it but her vocals could use more delay, reverb, and more defined panning at certain parts but don't forget that this song is great and can go as is. Again, don't stop until you get this song heard by major players in the industry.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea I was gonna say I could hear the higher octave low in the mix. I actually like it there. Obviously different ppl are gonna think different on it but all that matters is that they like it.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Don't over do it but her vocals could use more delay, reverb, and more defined panning at certain parts but don't forget that this song is great and can go as is. Again, don't stop until you get this song heard by major players in the industry.
yea, the closer I got 2 tightening the mix up, the more dry she was sounding...just wanted to make sure it wasn't jus me...x...
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
Honestly, the mix is not so great. But I was rocking to the joint. You should really spend some time making this sound better; ie: cleaner, tame the low end, and bring out the presence in just about every voice. The lyrics could use some work, but more than that the doubles need to be tightened.

PM me if you want me to take a crack at mixing it. (Pro bono. All my work for HIS KINGDOM is free! )

PWG
Thanks for the feedback PeeWee, it's back to the lab. How did you listen to the track: ie headphones-monitors-surround sound etc? I can agree with and know how to go back and address those issues but I don't think the low end is out of control. Also what did you mean by the lyrics need work and do the doubles need to be tighter with each other or tighter with the lead?
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I was wondering if sombody could give me some feedback on the mix on this track. I just got new monitors and wanted oppinions. It is just a beat obviously.
The mix is good but it's only a beat so it really doesn't matter.
17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Marogru
Old stuff but check it out

I did this song back in 2004 with Freestyle of the Arsonists, the beat and the mix is mine.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Justanotherday-MaroFT.Freestyle.mp3 (3.74 MB, 5335 views)

Analog equalizers with digital control via plugin in rack and 500 series.
17th August 2009
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The mix is good but it's only a beat so it really doesn't matter.
Thanks for the time. I think it pretty important to get a decent mix on beats though so you can just start a project and work out the full mix later, or atleast engineers tend to complain when the need a session file just for vocal tracking.
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkr View Post
Just finished these two songs. I'd like to know what you guys thinkg before sending them off for mastering... These tracks have a stereo widener and limiter on the stereo bus which will be taken off before mastering btw... I mainly want feedback on the mix, especially the the lead vocals. I feel like they might be just a tiny bit too low but I like it at the same time... any thoughts or suggestions... thnx

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Mu...m4a?w=fad0d222 "Tropicana"

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Music/I%20Have%20Nothing_2mix_aac.m4a?w=9bea00d7 "I Have Nothing"
Shouldn't you post them WITHOUT the widener/limiter then? Both of these things will GREATLY effect the mix itself. There's no way you'd possibly get an accurate opinion.
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jonkr
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
You're right bro, just being lazy and didn't feel like rendering them again lol... but here they are with nothing on the master bus... Love that "Freaky In The Parking Lot" track btw.

Just wanted to know what you guys think of these two mixes before mastering...any comments or suggestions would be great...thnx

"I Have Nothing" http://www.confidential-records.com/...g_2mix_mp3.mp3

"Tropicana" http://www.confidential-records.com/...aster1_mp3.mp3
I have nothing- The mix is good, the sounds are too polished for my taste as everything sounds on the sterile side. I like gritty sounds I guess. The vocals arent too low, they dont have much power behind them tho, the rapper with his voice and delivery style would probably benefit from having some more things going on vocally during the song to fill the track out.

Tropicana- This one came in a lil bit stronger beatwise and the mix had the same feel to it as the 1st just a lil bit louder, The beat is real nice with some well place percussion hits. The downside would be the rapper and his voice, Eightball's flow would be good for this song. The hook is not strong at all, I can hear a female singing some lines to go with the melody line that you have (wah guitar?) instead of him saying that over and over.

To me and my limited understanding of mastering, you want the mix to sound as best as it can before mastering so that the ME only enhances what you have. I think the mixes need to be fatter. Maybe it is because you have left so much headroom as I have my laptop turned all the way up and I'm listenin on headphones and its not loud at all.
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right bro, just being lazy and didn't feel like rendering them again lol... but here they are with nothing on the master bus... Love that "Freaky In The Parking Lot" track btw.

Just wanted to know what you guys think of these two mixes before mastering...any comments or suggestions would be great...thnx

"I Have Nothing" http://www.confidential-records.com/...g_2mix_mp3.mp3

"Tropicana" http://www.confidential-records.com/...aster1_mp3.mp3

Like you said in your orginal post, the vocals are too low. The beat mixes are on point...thought I'd like to hear a little more bottom in Tropicana.

The vocals: the main problem, to me, is that they're kind of muffled and dark. Sounds like the need a slight cut from around 350hz to 400hz. I would also suggest a boost in the presence range...somwhere between 4000 - 5000khz. Maybe a little high shelf boost for sparkle and to bring out some of the sibliance. If you clean up the EQ you can probably get away with the level being that low.

Did you make the beats? They're nice...I really like the Tropicana one.

Tell us what you recorded/mixed on. What mics...amps...ect?
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jonkr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDT Music Group View Post
I have nothing- The mix is good, the sounds are too polished for my taste as everything sounds on the sterile side. I like gritty sounds I guess. The vocals arent too low, they dont have much power behind them tho, the rapper with his voice and delivery style would probably benefit from having some more things going on vocally during the song to fill the track out.

Tropicana- This one came in a lil bit stronger beatwise and the mix had the same feel to it as the 1st just a lil bit louder, The beat is real nice with some well place percussion hits. The downside would be the rapper and his voice, Eightball's flow would be good for this song. The hook is not strong at all, I can hear a female singing some lines to go with the melody line that you have (wah guitar?) instead of him saying that over and over.

To me and my limited understanding of mastering, you want the mix to sound as best as it can before mastering so that the ME only enhances what you have. I think the mixes need to be fatter. Maybe it is because you have left so much headroom as I have my laptop turned all the way up and I'm listenin on headphones and its not loud at all.
Thanks for the feedback bro... I feel the same way about "I Have Nothing". I need to do something to beef his vocals up a little. I'll experiment.
And its funny you said you would like a singer on Tropicana. The artist actually wanted to have someone singing on it but we never got around to get someone. I guess I'll make it a priority to get someone now.

About the loudness... I had posted the mixes with stereo wideners and limiters on the master bus but Trell asked me to take them off so you guys could hear the true mix, so thats why its low. I like to leave about 6db headroom for mastering... Maybe I'll simply start normalizing before I post mixes on here. Anyway, thanks for the feedback... much appreciated
21st August 2009
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Just cuz I had some extra time I decided to "master" one of your tracks just to see how it would turn out. Now let me say this:

1. I can't stress this one enough...I am NOT NOT NOT a mastering engineer. Period. I would NEVER do as good a job as a well qualified M.E. so don't expect this master to be useable.

2. I had to convert an mp3 > .wav > mp3 so...yea a lot of sonic butterflies were killed in the process. A moment of silence for those who died...

3. Just wanted to give you a very rough idea of what the track might sound like after a bit of treatment.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Tropicana - Trell Blaze Master.mp3 (5.21 MB, 345 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search