The OFFICIAL "Please Check Out My Mix/ Music" Thread
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Glad you could take it for it was (constructive criticism) and not be put off by what could be seen as bad attitude. I agree that a lot commercial music these days has somewhat thin and overly bright vocals. Music certainly need not sound like that! But don't go too far in the other direction, either. Balance is the key to life hahahahahaha I think I'm so wise sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDT Music Group View Post
Thanks for taking the time to listen, I went back in made the EQ flat for those upper freq's. Its always good to have second opinions when experimenting because we sometimes forget that when we listen to and mix our own music, its easy for us to follow and know every word regardless of clarity or volume because we wrote them! So from now on I will take that into consideration.

Peace
1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Here's my latest effort. I faded it early so the file size would fit...
Attached Files
4th August 2009
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

i posted an mp3 in this thread:

here's my secret for super loud and transparent mixes

just looking for some feedback (it's a work in progress, i have to write two more verses and get a woman to do a female answer part of the chorus) on general balance and vocal -to- instrument levels
it's for a pop submission like a justin timberlake type-artist.

thanks for any constructive criticism. i haven't got my engineer on this one yet this was all me so if it sucks it's my fault haha.
4th August 2009
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Here's my latest effort. I faded it early so the file size would fit...
what was your role in this bro? this is super tight to me
4th August 2009
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

@Trell: All ITB? Sounds good bro!
Could you tell us more about how you mixed it if you did that?
What do you use (DAW, Plug-ins, monitoring, etc)?
4th August 2009
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesp04 View Post
what was your role in this bro? this is super tight to me
Thanks, man. I Co-Produced, made the beat, wrote and performed the hook & 2nd verse, recorded and mixed the joint. Being that much involved made mixing it VERY difficult. I went through at least 4 mixes before I got anything close to useable. Again, thanks for checkin it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal View Post
@Trell: All ITB? Sounds good bro!
Could you tell us more about how you mixed it if you did that?
What do you use (DAW, Plug-ins, monitoring, etc)?

All ITB...Cubase SX3. 95% Sonnox Plugs. I've come to the point where almost every mix I use the Sonnox plugs like a console. Almost every channel is Sonnox EQ > Sonnox Dynamics > Sonnox Inflator (for character/distortion). I used a bit of CMT bitcrusher on some channels as well. My monitoring is not great but not all that bad (apartment with no treatment) but I've gotten so used to it that I can guess at most things I can't hear...plus I constantly check the mixes in several different environments. I also occasionally fine tune in a pair of headphones I know very well. The speakers are Makie HR8 (I think that's what they're called). My interface is an inferior PreSonus Firebox. Almost nothing we have here is high grade but I don't even think about that when I'm working.
4th August 2009
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, man. I Co-Produced, made the beat, wrote and performed the hook & 2nd verse, recorded and mixed the joint. Being that much involved made mixing it VERY difficult. I went through at least 4 mixes before I got anything close to useable. Again, thanks for checkin it out!

All ITB...Cubase SX3. 95% Sonnox Plugs. I've come to the point where almost every mix I use the Sonnox plugs like a console. Almost every channel is Sonnox EQ > Sonnox Dynamics > Sonnox Inflator (for character/distortion). I used a bit of CMT bitcrusher on some channels as well. My monitoring is not great but not all that bad (apartment with no treatment) but I've gotten so used to it that I can guess at most things I can't hear...plus I constantly check the mixes in several different environments. I also occasionally fine tune in a pair of headphones I know very well. The speakers are Makie HR8 (I think that's what they're called). My interface is an inferior PreSonus Firebox. Almost nothing we have here is high grade but I don't even think about that when I'm working.
very tight man. that's some inspiration when i get discouraged about lack of gear. those sonnox plugs were already on my list but they're slowly moving up to the top
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
very tight man. that's some inspiration when i get discouraged about lack of gear. those sonnox plugs were already on my list but they're slowly moving up to the top
Yea man...that's why I laugh at people who think you GOTTA have this and that in order to sound "professional". YOU (engineer, artist, producer, whatever) are FAR more imporant than any gear in the world. If YOU'RE not high end, then your gear might as well not be...
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Here's a song I mixed for a friend (all ITB), The rapper did the beat and tracked the song at a lil studio into u87/chandler pre/urei/older pro tools. What you think about my mix? Do you think it's solid enought to be sent a ME?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Modafox.mp3 (5.44 MB, 2394 views)
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
Here's a song I mixed for a friend (all ITB), The rapper did the beat and tracked the song at a lil studio into u87/chandler pre/urei/older pro tools. What you think about my mix? Do you think it's solid enought to be sent a ME?
sounds good to me bro. what language is that in?
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Gear interested

6th August 2009
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
sounds good to me bro. what language is that in?
Cool, thanks...it's french language.
6th August 2009
Old 6th August 2009
Gear interested

I just put this new song on my soundclick page, check out the mp3
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 A79-6.mp3 (4.39 MB, 4658 views)
8th August 2009
Old 8th August 2009
8th August 2009
Old 8th August 2009
Gear maniac

a natural breadcrumbs

this has some nice rap music on it if anyone is interested..
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
All ITB...Cubase SX3. 95% Sonnox Plugs.
This is a good example of talent/vision first. The singer sounds great and they obviously spent some time on the artistic vision on the tracking and mixing side. Often it seems that people worry too much about the gear and not enough about the actual music. That obviously didn't happen here.

What's striking about this mix compared to most demos is the smooth frequency balance. It sounds professionally done, like it's been mastered.

Very well done. One for the iPhone.
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

edited
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
This is a good example of talent/vision first. The singer sounds great and they obviously spent some time on the artistic vision on the tracking and mixing side. Often it seems that people worry too much about the gear and not enough about the actual music. That obviously didn't happen here.

What's striking about this mix compared to most demos is the smooth frequency balance. It sounds professionally done, like it's been mastered.

Very well done. One for the iPhone.
Actually it HAS been mastered. I could post the unmastered version if anyone is interested in what it sounded like. The M.E. told me that the mix was good enough that he didn't do much at all.

IMO, I should've turned the BG vocals up about 1db which I plan to do for the album mix. As to be expected, I don't do too well mixing songs on which I had artistic involvment. I think the mixes I did for the same group that I DIDN'T produce sound noticeably better...

But this - "Often it seems that people worry too much about the gear and not enough about the actual music." - is what bothers me so much about so many people. They've convinced themselves that there's no way possible you can make great music unless you have eight 3000.00 preamps and a 9000.00 mic. Don't get me wrong...i'd LOOOVE to have all that but it's simply not possible for me right now. All I can do is make the best music I can possibly make.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. Not sure exactly which singer you were talking about but the 1st verse was one of the group members (Ceddy Boi) and the 2nd verse & hook is me...as well as additional BG vox in the 3rd verse.
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually it HAS been mastered. I could post the unmastered version if anyone is interested in what it sounded like. The M.E. told me that the mix was good enough that he didn't do much at all.
Cool. It obviously has that "finished" sound across the frequency spectrum. It could have been that way before mastering but there is an obvious professional balancing of frequencies there. Smooth.

Quote:
But this - "Often it seems that people worry too much about the gear and not enough about the actual music." - is what bothers me so much about so many people. They've convinced themselves that there's no way possible you can make great music unless you have eight 3000.00 preamps and a 9000.00 mic. Don't get me wrong...i'd LOOOVE to have all that but it's simply not possible for me right now. All I can do is make the best music I can possibly make.
The best thing I ever did was just get the heck out of the way of the music (egotistical engineers always think they have to impart their flavor on something instead of just mixing the song, I had that issue some years ago) and (specifically) stop using so many plugins.

It's harder to know what NOT to do than it is to know what to do.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the compliments. Not sure exactly which singer you were talking about but the 1st verse was one of the group members (Ceddy Boi) and the 2nd verse & hook is me...as well as additional BG vox in the 3rd verse.
I was mostly talking about the singer in the first verse but all of the singers are very good. I mentioned "the singer" to say that as soon as the vocals came in he was dead on target. I knew I was gonna like it in the first few seconds.
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Throwed View Post
Attachment 131036

I'm at a dead end on this mix. Does anybody have an idea?
I'd turn the verse vocals up about 1db. With this type of song, I guess the only thing you can do is a bunch of edit tricks....stops...breaks...time warps...stutters. That sorta thing. Otherwise it get's boring.
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonay122 View Post
I just put this new song on my soundclick page, check out the mp3
Nice mix overall but there's something veery nasty goin on with that 808. Maybe that's how you want it to sound but my sub doesn't like it one bit...
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Lives for gear

hmm Trell, i would be interested in hearing the unmastered version... Out of a learning purpose... if you don't mind of course !
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
hmm Trell, i would be interested in hearing the unmastered version... Out of a learning purpose... if you don't mind of course !
Unmastered version as requested...
Attached Files
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Arigato gozaimasu !!!

Edit : appart from the sryle which I appreciate a lot,... yeah, well I need to practise mixing... I can hear the difference between the mastered and unmastered (appart from the loudness I mean) but yeah the mix was already quite good to begin with !

I'm off to study in more depth... thx again !
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
Arigato gozaimasu !!!

Edit : appart from the sryle which I appreciate a lot,... yeah, well I need to practise mixing... I can hear the difference between the mastered and unmastered (appart from the loudness I mean) but yeah the mix was already quite good to begin with !

I'm off to study in more depth... thx again !
Thanks. My advise to you would be to send at least 1 of your best mixes to a reputable M.E. that you really like...just to guage yourself and see how close you are to the finished sound you want. I think it would be well worth the money....it was for me the 1st time I did it.

I think that's the only way you'll truely know what to expect mastering to do for your mixes.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unmastered version as requested...
Sounds good. Real R&B. I miss this kind of music.

Here is something I've been working on...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 brash and sassy-M41.mp3 (4.87 MB, 3473 views)
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

Wsup family.. well I know its been awhile since i posted or showed up

currently deployed until Dec. (Navy)..

Well I this is is a great ideal.. and I have a song to share to see what you all think ..

Its was done in May 09 right before we deployed.. so its a unfinished mix until i get back home to run it through the monitors to hear how everything sounds..

but since I'm out at sea.. I can't upload it but its on my soundclick page..
I will try to upload when we hit a port

Artist: V-State
Title: My Cadillac
Mixed and Produced by Willie "B Knot" Bossie for Boss Recordings
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post

Nice arrangement. I would've liked to hear more sub frequencies from the kick but that's a personal thing. Doesn't hurt the song that it's not there.

Is that all you? How much midi and how much live?
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Nice arrangement. I would've liked to hear more sub frequencies from the kick but that's a personal thing. Doesn't hurt the song that it's not there.

Is that all you? How much midi and how much live?
Great song Trell just please take out those 808 snares. Those snares date the track and puts you in a basket. Find some other ways to introduce percussion elements into the mix.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post

man this is some nice chill out music, I can hear Common or the Roots Freestylin to this in a lounge somewhere. Very good recording and arrangement. I dont think there is any midi programming in here, maybe the bass but I doubt it. Man I feel like burnin this and spittin something to it right now! (well maybe not RIGHT now but ya'll get my point!)

I'd be interested in what you mixed this on.

peace
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search