Login / Register

Question about Akai MPC4000 (Adat Option)
New Reply
Subscribe
Stoneface
6th August 2005
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Question about Akai MPC4000 (Adat Option)

I've been thinking about adding the Adat card to my MPC. Problem is, currently I run direct through the U5's. Running Adat into the apogee would give me the ability to bypass the U5's. If I no longer get the advantage of running through an outboard Di, is it really worth it for 8 digital outs? Is there a downside to running lightpipe as apposed to analog?

Any thought would be appreciated.
6th August 2005
Old 6th August 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
I've been thinking about adding the Adat card to my MPC. Problem is, currently I run direct through the U5's. Running Adat into the apogee would give me the ability to bypass the U5's. If I no longer get the advantage of running through an outboard Di, is it really worth it for 8 digital outs? Is there a downside to running lightpipe as apposed to analog?

Any thought would be appreciated.
If you like the sound the U5 imparts on the harmonics on the way in, I wouldn't change a thing. Running digital, bypassing the Avalon(s), might change the sonics in a detrimental fashion.

But hell, you may like it. Try it out !

-sunrck
6th August 2005
Old 6th August 2005
Gear addict

it still pass single to the analog out simutaneously. so what ever you wnat digi out for you can do that. but you can still run any output through the u5. when i had my mpc 4000 i liked the adat output becuase once the sound was digitalit stayed digital. less unescessary conversion. however, i was happy to trade of at times when i wanted to warm up a specific sample.
Stoneface
6th August 2005
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, my problem is I can ony go two channels at a time for now. I'd really like to be tracking 8 at a time. I've only got two U5's. Someone suggested to me a Desk Doctor DI which appears to come in 8 and 16 channel versions. I guess the Adat option wouldn't be a horrible option and for $349 at sweetwater, it wouldn't be to much to shell out to find out. I really like the "sound" of tracking through good Di's so I'm not sure I could give that up but there are many times when tracking that the DI does very little if anything to improve or change the sound. So I could see my self sending some stuff digital and tracking the rest analog.

Thanks for the post guys! I'll let you know which direction I go and post my findings.

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

can I resample through adat? I have a ua 2192 wich is connected to outboard gear chain.

anyone work like this?

can I use it for mastering this way also?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search