Login / Register

Sequencer Of Choice
View Poll Results: What Sequencer Do You Use for Hip Hop?
Akai MPC (60, 2000, 3000, 4000)
26 Votes - 26.00%
All in one software (Reason, Fruity Loops)
8 Votes - 8.00%
Loop Based Software (Acid, Live)
2 Votes - 2.00%
Keyboard Sequencer (Ensoniq ASR, Triton, etc)
6 Votes - 6.00%
DAW Software (Logic, Cubase, Protools, etc)
56 Votes - 56.00%
Other (I can add to this list if you think i missed something!)
2 Votes - 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
XHipHop
2nd August 2005
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Sequencer Of Choice

Alright people, what do you use and if you've used something before it, what made you switch and what do you feel are the advantages of your new setup?

XHipHop.com is back! Looking for guest posts!
2nd August 2005
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to asylumdigital
I still use my trusty old Ensoniq TS10 to sequence damn near everything (BTW, it is the same as ASR10 but w/out the sampler)

peace!
http://www.asylumdigital.com
http://www.iamsuperape.com (my band)

Twitter @
http://www.twitter.com/scottslagle
2nd August 2005
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I wish there was a way I could vote for two catagories. I use the MPC 4000 sequencer but I lock that to DP4. Sometimes I'll dump the midi from the MPC into DP but usually keep it virtual until tracking.
XHipHop
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
I wish there was a way I could vote for two catagories. I use the MPC 4000 sequencer but I lock that to DP4. Sometimes I'll dump the midi from the MPC into DP but usually keep it virtual until tracking.
What made you pick the 4000 over the older units? I've never used a 4000 myself but I've always been curious.
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
What made you pick the 4000 over the older units? I've never used a 4000 myself but I've always been curious.
I didn't get into the MPC "movement" until the first MPC 2000 came out. I wase't into sequencing back then. At that time I used a DR-660, Yamaha CS1x and a 4-Track and had just enrolled in Full Sail. I was against the whole concept of the MPC and misjudged it as a "backpacker" tool.

When I finally bought my first MPC I couldn't see going back and trying the 60 or 3000. As for the 4000, the main reason I bought it was because of the USB connection, internal hard drive and the 512MB of ram. I used to try and achieve this same setup by using the 2000 with the Akai S6000 but what a pain in the ass.

If the new MPC2000XL had come with USB I would have gotten that unit instead. I love being able to transfer samples, drums, whatever, back and forth with out dealing with SCSI. However, now that I've used the 4000 for sometime now, I couldn't see using anything else. It really is a whole different world from the 2000 series.

Sure there are similarities, but the 96k sampling engine, all the extras and the orginal way songs are laid out, there just is no substitution, in my opinion. I think you should definatley give it a try but understand that it's not a bigger 2000. It's really a whole new beast that will open up avenues of creativity you may never have dreamed of on any other model.

Other opinions may vary but these are mine.
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Charlie-O
I wish I could choose 2 as well, I love my trusty old 4000 but lately reason has been holding me down, and have been making quite a few albums....

www.myspace.com/charlieomusic

Grassroots
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear addict

Another chime in here for the MPC4000- I was using an ASQ10 (MPC60 w/o the sampler) and, when I had the chance to try out a MPC2000 for sequencing, I wasn't impressed. The ASQ10 felt better. The 4000 came along and it does feel as good as the ASQ10 and is much more luxurious to use. It's really a different vibe than the 2000, much deeper.

Caveat- I make electronic music, not Hip-Hop, but I do go into Trip-Hop and Dub, so I think my comments may still be of use.

BTW how many of you hip-hoppers cross over into Techno, dub, ambient and so on?
"The triumphs of modern science went to man's head in something of the way rum does, causing him to grow loose in his logic. He came to think that what science discovers somehow casts doubt on things it does not discover; that the success it realizes in its own domain throws into question the reality of domains its devices cannot touch." - Huston Smith, Forgotten Truth
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear interested

i use an atari 1040st running notator or master tracks for sequencing. i sample to a couple of akai s3000xl samplers. synth duties are picked up by a nord lead, juno, dsi evolver, poly800, roland string synth, and microkorg. throw in a few old drum machines, add a copious amount of analog delay and spring reverb, and voila - dubtastic delights.

f.
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005

Just give me Cubase with a bunch of VST instruments, my drum samples, and a fast computer and throw everything else out the window....
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to moeses
i love the sequencer on the roland xp-60
and i really use the appregios but when i do, the ones featured come in perfect

I HATE SEQUENCING ON A COMPUTER...but i do it anyway
so loneliness is out to lynch me. pinch me!!!
awake from dreams but it seems we've just avoided it
you got a spell on me, and i'll never try destroying it/
www.myspace.com/soulright
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Just give me Cubase with a bunch of VST instruments, my drum samples, and a fast computer and throw everything else out the window....

thumbsup
no ssl yet
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
no ssl yet

Lately

Lately, I've been placing samples in Ptools HD's grid. I do use a MPC2kXL and I'm thinking of getting my own 4k (I've used them in studios)

I just cant justfify paying for a 4k. I can place samples in the grid and it sounds better than any machine I've heard. I can sequence modules on my 2k and it's working. I used to want a 4k, but now I dont know.

I wouldnt mind having ADat outs and feeding ptools, with the USB for transfering samples from the computer,

This was my original plan, but when I went to HD and decided on an Apogee interface, I gave up having adat ins.

Dont know that I need a 4k and I only buy what i need. (Hell I'll probably eventually get one and sell my 2k)
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

same with me and Sonar!
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
I can place samples in the grid and it sounds better than any machine I've heard.
I use a similar technique combined with others. Do you use any sort of groove templates, if not how do you make it swing, or behind the beat if you need it to be?
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear maniac

if i'm looping say 16 bars of a midi loop, i'll edit each note by hand to get the right feel, then copy and paste it....i only do that when i don't have much control over attack times.
no ssl yet
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
no ssl yet

Grid mode

I start out in grid mode, but end up moving some things off the grid. My favorite drumachine was the Roland R8. IT had the best feel of any drum machine. I try to emulate the same thing in ptools. Even MPCs dont feel as good as an R8. I wish there was a way to place something in protools and then tap on the mouse or a keyboard key and trigger it without having to use a sampler.

I guess it would be using ptools as a sampler
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Are folks using the MPC driving other modules (other samplers, keys, whatever) with it?

Peece,
T. Tauri
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear maniac

I use Cubase SX for the bulk of my midi work.

If i am just mixing from audio or stems I almost always use Pro tools LE for that as i am much quicker doing it that way.
Dor
3rd August 2005
Old 3rd August 2005
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've been using DP to sequence all of my synths & crap up until a few weeks ago when i decided to try the mpc1000 for midi.

I must admit, I do dig not having to stare at the screen & mess with the mouse. The only pain in the ass is the patch management but that can be worked around by saving the mix or performance on the synths.

I dig working both ways for now, depending on my mood. DP & MPC for both midi and audio. I would like a 4000 for the adat & sync tho. The 1000 is cool since it's nice & portable.

D

Follow me @boomspot
4th August 2005
Old 4th August 2005
Gear addict

Cubase SX

I program my drums directly on to the grid in SX. I find this gives me flexibility and a quick transistion to the mixing stage. I'll sometimes move the hits around by ear to make it less rigid (talking milliseconds here). But honestly, there are times I like the sound of things exactly on beat.

Other times I'll find a loop I like the feel of, throw it in the sequencer, then match up the BDs and SNs, then the rest of the perc. I use different drum hits and I make sure it's all exactly sample accurate. I can then study the off beat hits of the loop, and really try to understand what makes it "groove". I can then delete the loop and be left with a basic drum loop that still has the feel of the original loop. SX has groove template functions you can use to save the groove of the drum loop. You can also get this info into the midi editor so your external synths "lock" into the rhythm straight away. I find this process much more time consuming and tedious (and sometimes impossible) when using an hardware sequencer.
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to Sociopathogen Send a message via Yahoo to Sociopathogen
Cubase VST32 or an Alesis MMT-8 depending on the situation.
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
i've been using a lot of vsti's as of late.
dont really have a need for an mpc anymore and i shape sounds so quick with plugins that i really dont care about workstations anymore though i will be getting a Fantom G
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear maniac

logic all the way here, just got rid of the 4k. i work way faster itb and have way more flexibility over my sounds and automation while i'm composing.
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

I love the workflow of Fruty Loops to program Drums and get a rough layout of the Song. Then Mix in Nuendo.
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

I use an MPC1000 to sequence my Alesis Fusion and my friends Micron. The only thing I've really used before was a Roland MC303 at one point and an Amiga500 + Bars and pipes when I was in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Generic View Post

BTW how many of you hip-hoppers cross over into Techno, dub, ambient and so on?

I play live hip-hop/dance music. I figure I'll make whatever I want. I would love to have my MPC full of beats of all sorts to give the crowd what they want.

MPC1000 JJos + Alesis Fusion is a scary good combo for under 2 grand. The only real limitation is the number of MIDI tracks and if you have the memory upgrade in the Fusion/MPC.

I can honestly say that the MPC1000 w/JJos and Fusion blows the doors off of any Triton/Fantom/Motif. And for way less money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search