Open Labs DBeat
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Open Labs DBeat

Looks like the MPC is taking roids. I'm sure some of you will be into this.

Open Labs - DBeat

Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

It's funny...I was working with one of the "main brains" behind Open Labs Miko (he actually used one of the prototypes in a gig with us a couple years ago) just yesterday and he was telling me about this very machine. He said it's ****in incredible...and there's more to come. Open Labs intends to bitch slap this whole market...
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

$4k is steep, but I could see that being dope for the producer who moves a lot.

Wonder if it has space for a UAD card inside there...
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm the oddball but I don't mind having my mac book pro, separate key/pad/ small surface controller, and separate interface. Just not attracted to the "all in one box" idea. I like separate equipment. I also like being to able run OSX if needed, or windows if needed.

I feel like these OL units could be perfect for traveling stage/show/tour musicians though. It's basically all the equipment I named above in one chassis.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Sick!!!!
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

wow open labs doing their thing, this thing looks awesome
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

I maybe in the minority here but i don't like the look of it one bit, yuck.

When is the new linn drum gonna drop, that might get me excited.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
I maybe in the minority here but i don't like the look of it one bit, yuck.

When is the new linn drum gonna drop, that might get me excited.
I totally agree.

I'll give them credit, because they are trying. I just don't think the product justifies the cost.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

I own a neko timbaland edition and I was going to order the neko lx5 until I saw this so I already preordered so I cant wait til june! I'll be using mine with a novation sl mkII controller so Im pumped about this setup.OpenLabs makes great products and has great support.Most of the people who dont own one or have never used it talk bad about it but ive never experienced nothing but great things from using there products.Open Labs is ahead of the game
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

i'm sure these things are cool but i don't see the point of investing 4+ g's for something that's going to be collecting dust in 2 years.

just my opinion....
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

I am uncertain how in the world this thing is worth $4k.

Macbook Pro $2500 maxed ram $300
External 500gb portable drive $200
Presonus Firebox $300
Akai MPD32 $275
Multi Card Reader $25
Akai APC40 $400
Total: $4000

IMO money better spent.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum, Ralph View Post
I totally agree.

I'll give them credit, because they are trying. I just don't think the product justifies the cost.
Everyone has there own opinion about this but the cost shouldnt be the issue with this.Apple products are overpriced and behind on there technology so an full blown apple macbook pro system that would compare to this would be way over $3,600 which is the price for the Dbeat and its a complete system.You get a full version of Live 7 & Reaper and some really good VI's like dimension pro & true pianos to name a few.So if you were to price all of that seperate you'll be in the $6k-$7k range easily.If this works for you or not is the question some people like it some dont.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
i'm sure these things are cool but i don't see the point of investing 4+ g's for something that's going to be collecting dust in 2 years.

just my opinion....
There products are completely upgradeable for instance I have an older model that Im sending in to them to upgrade to a quad processor, 2tb hd and there control panels.When a new macbook pro comes out can you upgrade the parts or are you going to put it on ebay and buy a new macbook pro?
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
I am uncertain how in the world this thing is worth $4k.

Macbook Pro $2500 maxed ram $300
External 500gb portable drive $200
Presonus Firebox $300
Akai MPD32 $275
Multi Card Reader $25
Akai APC40 $400
Total: $4000

IMO money better spent.
Your leaving out alot of stuff thats included with any of the Openlabs products and thats there software bundle.Specifically with this product you get the full version of Live 7, Reaper, Fxpansion Guru,Tru Pianos,Dimension Pro and a lot of other VI's.So for example add another $1,500 to your $4,000.

The speed of the processor on the Dbeat is 3.0ghz core 2 duo and the speed of the 17" MacBook Pro is 2.93ghz which is a extra $300 upgrade.So a full blown MacBook Pro 17" 2.93ghz 320gb computer by itself would be $3,600.Like I said before cost shouldnt be the concern for this unit whether you can use its features and create a great workflow for you should be the concern.But if your concerned about money well spent, purchasing a mac laptop that you cant upgrade and will be out of date when they bring a new model out in 8 months is pointless.
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aodagreat View Post
Everyone has there own opinion about this but the cost shouldnt be the issue with this.Apple products are overpriced and behind on there technology so an full blown apple macbook pro system that would compare to this would be way over $3,600 which is the price for the Dbeat and its a complete system.You get a full version of Live 7 & Reaper and some really good VI's like dimension pro & true pianos to name a few.So if you were to price all of that seperate you'll be in the $6k-$7k range easily.If this works for you or not is the question some people like it some dont.
Thats not entirely true, for a start a mac will hold its value foe a long long time, giving you the option of upgrading later down the line. IMHO if the mobility of the unit isn't a issue you could get a top of the line mac pro, BTW would cost you nearly the same to build your self, and a copy of logic for less than 3K. The stock VI's & plugins in logic are more than enough for most ppl.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
Thats not entirely true, for a start a mac will hold its value foe a long long time, giving you the option of upgrading later down the line. IMHO if the mobility of the unit isn't a issue you could get a top of the line mac pro, BTW would cost you nearly the same to build your self, and a copy of logic for less than 3K.
This unit isnt made to compete with the mac pro thats a completely different monster and the higher end open labs neko xxl can compete with the Mac Pro, this is a portable unit and rivals a laptop setup.

The topic i was responding to was the issue of cost and discountined products.Its not possible to send your 3rd generation macbook pro in to get a new 2.93ghz processor to apple and they dont hold there value.Ive seen many macbooks(last years model) being sold for way less than they paid for it only to upgrade to the lastest mac laptop model and do it all over again when newer models come out.So i dont agree about mac's holding there value not only with there products but also things that make a huge difference like support, apple just isnt there.For instances when was the last logic pro update? Me personally im not a logic user or fan but I have friends who are faithfully.You very rarely see openlabs products being sold and thats because everything in there products can be upgraded at in anytime.Only people who it just doesnt work for sale there openlabs gear.
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

i just think people buy these thinking it is the be all end all. and the rest of their studio is sh't. i've seen people spend thousands on these and then 150 on a mic and wonder why their vocals sound like a$$.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
i just think people buy these thinking it is the be all end all. and the rest of their studio is sh't. i've seen people spend thousands on these and then 150 on a mic and wonder why their vocals sound like a$$.
This is very true Some people do purchase these and do exactly that.Me personally when I purchased my first open labs product I bought other pieces like UA a/d converters,avalon 737 pre, neumann u87 and other pieces to make sure I had the best quality i could get.So with any setup OpenLabs or Mac you have to still build up around whatever system your using.
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You very rarely see open-labs products being sold and thats because everything in there products can be upgraded at in anytime.
Yes but i do remember seeing someone setting theres on fire once i think it was therapy or anger management. Last logic update was 8.2, i think?, it came out fairly quick after the release of 8 and logic 9 will not come until L8 is up top 8.9. Honestly i haven't really had any major issues for it to need an update. Yes i still think macs hold there value quite well due to ppl still wanting one even if its almost 10 years old, I.E. it will drop in price but will still command good price in the 2nd hand market. I myself am typing this on a g3 ibook thats nearly 10 years old but will still fetch between £100-150. I don't like the DBeat's design and may find it a problem along with the os. But this thread really isn't about computers or OS vs workstations. If you like the open labs stuff and it helps your work flow then its worth the money. I don't find it worth the money.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
What Macbook Pro system are you configuring that cost $4k? I must be missing something but on Apple.com a 3.9Ghz 15" only cost $3K after ny sales tax.

I also think trying to compare a Open labs product to a Macbook Pro is foolish(for any side of the arguement). An OL product is geared towards music production, while a Macbook Pro is marketed towards general cpu use. what i mean is this, when was the last time anyone pick up their OL product and sat it on their lap just to surf gearslutz. you just don't do that.

I've used enough mekos to know that to me this isn't worth 4K. It doesn't increase my workflow and doesn't sound any better than what i'm getting from my MBP based system. so for 4K, it's just not for me.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
that is so true. i've also seen people keep their mekos at the studio all the time and hooking it up to 24" monitors. I would think an Open Lab products strong points is the touch screen. If you don't travel with it and don't use the touchscreen, then what is the point?
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
What Macbook Pro system are you configuring that cost $4k? I must be missing something but on Apple.com a 3.9Ghz 15" only cost $3K after ny sales tax.

I also think trying to compare a Open labs product to a Macbook Pro is foolish(for any side of the arguement). An OL product is geared towards music production, while a Macbook Pro is marketed towards general cpu use. what i mean is this, when was the last time anyone pick up their OL product and sat it on their lap just to surf gearslutz. you just don't do that.

I've used enough mekos to know that to me this isn't worth 4K. It doesn't increase my workflow and doesn't sound any better than what i'm getting from my MBP based system. so for 4K, it's just not for me.
The highest processor available in the 17" macbook pro is 2.93ghz core duo and depending if you add the 8gb memory upgrade its over $4,000.I could care less about browsing the internet im more concerned about music production.Comparing the two as far as production pieces there is no competition open labs works for me but surfing the internet I can go get a $500 laptop to do that.

The open labs product isnt supposed to boost your production its just a tool.If you got you got and if you dont you dont.Like i said mac's arent for everybody and openlabs arent for everybody its all about preference.What kills me people shoot down products without knowing what there talking about.Like you said you used it and it wasnt for you.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
that is so true. i've also seen people keep their mekos at the studio all the time and hooking it up to 24" monitors. I would think an Open Lab products strong points is the touch screen. If you don't travel with it and don't use the touchscreen, then what is the point?
I have mine hooked up to a 30" monitor for but I still use the touch screen everyday, I found it works for me and my workflow when it comes to production and editing.For me traveling with it is easier than my previous setup and thats why I invested in it.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
I have mine hooked up to a 30" monitor for but I still use the touch screen everyday, I found it works for me and my workflow when it comes to production and editing.For me traveling with it is easier than my previous setup and thats why I invested in it.
I just think it is foolish to not take advantage of OpenLabs strong points which are portability and the touch screen. I see it works for you and that is the most important thing.
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
I just think it is foolish to not take advantage of OpenLabs strong points which are portability and the touch screen. I see it works for you and that is the most important thing.
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

I will do a demo video and post it tomorrow
Old 2nd April 2009

Hmmmm... I don't see why someone would buy one of these... I would rather have a MacBook Pro with an Akai midi controller (for LESS money, too!).
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I would rather have a MacBook Pro with an Akai midi controller
And with a decent audio interface... Spending four grand in something that comes with a Firebox blows my mind

- CM
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
And with a decent audio interface... Spending four grand in something that comes with a Firebox blows my mind

- CM
You can use whatever interface you want just hook it up firewire
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Nice
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search