New Reply
Subscribe
voicegenius
29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to voicegenius
MBox 2 Pro Vs. Digi 002

So I'm about to get rid of this piece of shit Mbox 1 that I have... If you were me, would you get:

Used Digi 002 = $400 (skeptical)

New Mbox 2 Pro = $500

My gut is telling me to get the 002, but new is better... The 002 looks like it's never been used, but the guy doesn't know anything about it and said he just wanted to get rid of it... (Pawn shop) Should I get it? Anybody ever do a side by side comparison? One better than the other? A/D converters comparison?
29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
So I'm about to get rid of this piece of shit Mbox 1 that I have... If you were me, would you get:

New Mbox 2 Pro = $500

My gut is telling me to get the 002, but new is better... The 002 looks like it's never been used, but the guy doesn't know anything about it and said he just wanted to get rid of it... (Pawn shop) Should I get it? Anybody ever do a side by side comparison? One better than the other? A/D converters comparison?
The 002's has better converters. You might want to consider saving your dough and getting a new 003, as it's been upgraded to fit the needs of the modern digital studio with Word Sync over BNC. This is where the 002 is an inferior device. Also, there's nothing worse than buying used gear and finding out it don't work the way it should. Does the Pawn shop have a test bench with a computer rig?
29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:

New Mbox 2 Pro = $500

Roc's advice is solid...but I must add..if you do some research and comb through Digidesign's fine print you will find that none of the Mbox series allow you to record @ 96K via SPDIF. You must cop an 002 or 003 to benefit from external conversion (Apogee Rosetta, etc.) @ 96K. Now, this may not matter to some, but I find this intentional limitation of the Mbox series disturbing. You can go the M-Audio route however and get a more affordable interface without this limitation.

Also, if you do by a used 002R...you may be in for a bit of a hassle dealing with Digidesign 'customer support' in terms of getting the software appropriately registered. Anyway, keep the 96K limitation in mind if you already have or planned to purchase external A/D conversion or clocking. My 2 cents...

EDIT: In an effort to verify my claim I checked again for myself.....
Digidesign | Products | Pro Tools | Pro Tools LE | Mbox 2 Family | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 2 Pro

Click the link and then click 'SPECIFICATIONS'...Under 'SUPPORTED SAMPLE RATES' there is a '**' with the corresponding '**' at the bottom stating
'** External clock supports up to 48 kHz sample rates'

Now there is the slight possibility you can RECORD via SPDIF @ 96K but you can not clock to an external digital source @ 96K..still pretty weak if you ask me.
29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
Gear maniac

I'm actually going to get a used digi002 as well, wish I could find one for 400! But anyway, the reason why I think that's a better choice

1)Optical ADAT (8 digital inputs) - great if using an external converter and preamp

2)I'm going to eventually get the black lion audio mod (more headroom, better clock, etc), which will give my 002 a better sound than PT HD systems

3)possible multiple headphone (cue) mixes

The only thing that scares me about digidesign, is if they will stop supporting the 002 with future pro tools releases...

My digi001 was great with my apogee converters until digidesign stopped supporting the 001
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Freeze View Post
none of the Mbox series allow you to record @ 96K via SPDIF. Now, this may not matter to some, but I find this intentional limitation of the Mbox series disturbing.
To be fair, as far as I remember, my Akai Mpc 1000 only exports at 48k through SPDIF, so I don't think this is a criticism that can be laid exclusively at M-Audio's door.

Also, with the Mbox 2pro I wasn't able to use the SPDIF drivers at the same time as ASIO, so I couldn't record vocals at the same time as playing back stuff from the Mpc. Is this an inherent limitation of SPDIF or is it just the Mbox (or is it just me being a doofus?)?
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
To be fair, as far as I remember, my Akai Mpc 1000 only exports at 48k through SPDIF, so I don't think this is a criticism that can be laid exclusively at M-Audio's door.

Also, with the Mbox 2pro I wasn't able to use the SPDIF drivers at the same time as ASIO, so I couldn't record vocals at the same time as playing back stuff from the Mpc. Is this an inherent limitation of SPDIF or is it just the Mbox (or is it just me being a doofus?)?
OK...just to clarify M-Audio is actually in the clear on this issue. The Mbox 2 Pro is a Digidesign piece.

Also, it's not a criticism, it's a fact: Digidesign's Mbox series does/will not clock to external converters/clocks @ 96K. This means if you buy a Rosetta 200 or Lavry blue, etc...you can not benefit from the full 96K capabilities of external clocking if you would like to record @ 96K. A lot of cats record @44.1 or 48K..which is why I stated this is something that may not be an issue to a lot of heads.

I only brought this up because if you eventually want a cool project studio set-up with a great front-end path with 96K recording capabilities..I highly recommend avoiding the Mbox series interfaces...I'll have to do the research, but I think you can cop the cheapest M-Audio joint with M-Powered and still not have the 96K limitation. There are many subtle limitations with Protools LE that simply do not exist with other software/interface combinations.

Far as your second statement...how did the MPC fit into the picture?? Was it synced via MIDI...I'm hazy on your config based on how you described it.
voicegenius
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Freeze View Post
OK...just to clarify M-Audio is actually in the clear on this issue. The Mbox 2 Pro is a Digidesign piece.

Also, it's not a criticism, it's a fact: Digidesign's Mbox series does/will not clock to external converters/clocks @ 96K. This means if you buy a Rosetta 200 or Lavry blue, etc...you can not benefit from the full 96K capabilities of external clocking if you would like to record @ 96K. A lot of cats record @44.1 or 48K..which is why I stated this is something that may not be an issue to a lot of heads.

I only brought this up because if you eventually want a cool project studio set-up with a great front-end path with 96K recording capabilities..I highly recommend avoiding the Mbox series interfaces...I'll have to do the research, but I think you can cop the cheapest M-Audio joint with M-Powered and still not have the 96K limitation. There are many subtle limitations with Protools LE that simply do not exist with other software/interface combinations.

Far as your second statement...how did the MPC fit into the picture?? Was it synced via MIDI...I'm hazy on your config based on how you described it.
I almost NEVER record at 96k... I understand the benefits of it, but it ain't that serious in a home studio when I can do it at a big one... I think I WILL wait to get the 003... You may be right about Digi not supporting the 002 after a while.... May phase out like the 001...

Thanks everybody!
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

I've found the 002 to be VERY flaky, especially with non Pro Tools apps, but also with Pro Tools. Not seen by pro tools, firewire daisy chaining not great, not multiclient friendly AT ALL, etc. MBox Pro better. 003 better. Not just one unit... had these issues with several 002s.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

how many simultaneous inputs do you need?

if its more than 6 then get the 002, less, then get the mbox2 pro.
voicegenius
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
I've found the 002 to be VERY flaky, especially with non Pro Tools apps, but also with Pro Tools. Not seen by pro tools, firewire daisy chaining not great, not multiclient friendly AT ALL, etc. MBox Pro better. 003 better. Not just one unit... had these issues with several 002s.
Oh, well there goes the 002....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
how many simultaneous inputs do you need?

if its more than 6 then get the 002, less, then get the mbox2 pro.
I think I may get the Mbox Pro because I like to be mobile, it saves space for me and I don't need that many inputs... Hey Beavis...inputs.... Huh, huh, huh...
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

96k is over rated especially for hip hop. Some say they prefer 44.1 to 96 for this specific genre.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Oh, well there goes the 002....

I think I may get the Mbox Pro because I like to be mobile, it saves space for me and I don't need that many inputs... Hey Beavis...inputs.... Huh, huh, huh...
ive got one of the first 002s in the uk, and ive never found this or any other 002 to be flaky. I think either dannygold has just been unlucky, or has other FireWire issues - this isnt a regular issue.

As for it being phased out, the 001 was about 6 years earlier than the 002, and since a 002 is functionally very similar to the 003, I can't see why it would be phased out any earlier than the 003

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
voicegenius
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
ive got one of the first 002s in the uk, and ive never found this or any other 002 to be flaky. I think either dannygold has just been unlucky, or has other FireWire issues - this isnt a regular issue.

As for it being phased out, the 001 was about 6 years earlier than the 002, and since a 002 is functionally very similar to the 003, I can't see why it would be phased out any earlier than the 003
The only reason I wouldn't get the 002 I'm looking is that I don't know where this one came from.. (As Is... Powered on, but still a lil hesistant) Another reason is the Mbox Pro can do the job for what I need to do... The only real difference is the amount of inputs, which I don't need and the size of which would be kinda cumbersome in my setup.... I think I just made up my mind.....

30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

mbox pro 2 pro is a good unit. get it
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

btw i know an engineer using the rosette 200 and big ben with the mbox 2 pro. Are you sure it's not all the other mbox's ie mini 1, 2.

pro lets your record at 96 so i don't see why you couldn't spdif in.
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
btw i know an engineer using the rosette 200 and big ben with the mbox 2 pro. Are you sure it's not all the other mbox's ie mini 1, 2.

pro lets your record at 96 so i don't see why you couldn't spdif in.
Check my first post (post #3), I provided a link to the Mbox 2 page on Digi's site. If you click 'SPECIFICATIONS' and read the '**' fine print you will see what I am referring to. Also, to repeat something I stated prior..you MAY be able to RECORD via SPDIF, but according to the listed Mbox 2 Pro specs you can not 'clock' to an external digital source above 48K. Check for yourself.

Also, far as I can tell, you can cop the cheapest most simple M-Audio firewire interface with M-Powered and not have the clock limitation...which I also indicated prior. An associate of mine has an Mbox 2 Pro...I will check this out for myself.
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only reason I wouldn't get the 002 I'm looking is that I don't know where this one came from.. (As Is... Powered on, but still a lil hesistant) Another reason is the Mbox Pro can do the job for what I need to do... The only real difference is the amount of inputs, which I don't need and the size of which would be kinda cumbersome in my setup.... I think I just made up my mind.....

You won't be disappointed...I luck and got my Mbox blacklion modded.
voicegenius
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

It's unfortunate they don't mod anymore...
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's unfortunate they don't mod anymore...
Yea that sucks. hey maybe if you throw a few more bucks @ them they will.
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
They had a problem with power supplies. Call Digidesign and see if you had the old PSU (yes, it actually affected stability and performance ALOT).
16th February 2009
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMIXIMAL View Post
They had a problem with power supplies. Call Digidesign and see if you had the old PSU (yes, it actually affected stability and performance ALOT).
Now that I think about it, somebody I know had a 002 and said his power supply went out on him and it took a month to get it back from Digi.... Maybe they need to do a recall.... Anybody know of a good compressor, under $500, to go along with the Mbox? FMR Audio?
voicegenius
16th February 2009
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Never mind... I just thought of bgrotto's sig... I think the Art Pro VLA looks promising...
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Banned

what you guys think of the new 003 factory rack with u pres?
17th February 2009
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The 002's has better converters. You might want to consider saving your dough and getting a new 003, as it's been upgraded to fit the needs of the modern digital studio with Word Sync over BNC. This is where the 002 is an inferior device. Also, there's nothing worse than buying used gear and finding out it don't work the way it should. Does the Pawn shop have a test bench with a computer rig?
what he said..
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have a mbox2 Pro that I am getting rid of to get a 003r.
voicegenius
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Too late... Just bought a Mbox 2 Pro on eBay for $329!!!! Can't get any better than that!
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

I guess my post came off wrong...I wasn't posting that to try to sell it...I'm going to do the Digi hardware exchange thumbsup

Don't want to mess with a private sale, and wouldn't get much for it anyhow.

I guess I posted that to let you know I had one of your options and grew out of it after awhile.
voicegenius
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire8898 View Post
I guess my post came off wrong...I wasn't posting that to try to sell it...I'm going to do the Digi hardware exchange thumbsup

Don't want to mess with a private sale, and wouldn't get much for it anyhow.

I guess I posted that to let you know I had one of your options and grew out of it after awhile.
Nah, I totally understood your post... I was just pondering which one I should get, but I ended up with the Mbox Pro. Which, actually, will be very good for what I need to do... Do you have to pay the difference on the exchange?
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Sure do ^^^ I"ll have to pay the difference, and while they won't give me a whole lot for it, I won't make much from a private sale either (like your deal confirms )

It'll save me the headache of selling it, which will be a pain IMO
18th February 2009
Old 18th February 2009
Gear nut

I have a 003 for sale if you want it.. I could give a great price! PM me!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search